Comin from ireland wanna get a buzz goin!!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Comin from ireland wanna get a buzz goin!!

Postby diambag » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:47 am

Hows it goin comin to this years burning man with about 8 other irish creeps.
My question is ,is it possible to dj at someones set up or "soundsystem" ,myself and a few of my friends dj here in dublin but wanna try n find out if we can bring a load of cd's or if anyone will have serato or something set up so the irish lads tear up the party for a while show you how to really bang it out!! ;)
We play everything from house ,chicago house ,detroit techno to straight up jackin techno,electro,uk old hardcore rave stuff,disco,funk,soul,80's synth pop ,reggae,rock ,indie.Anything that is buzzin.

So anyone who wouldnt mind a few drunken irish buzzer taken over for a little while let us know we'd be happy to melt some faces.
See ye there
Cheers!!
diambag

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm

There's a thread for that over in the 2010 Art Forum.
A warning. DJs are thick on the ground and they all want to do sets. Plan to do other things and don't set your heart on spinning.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby curiousgnate » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:11 pm

As a fellow dj and long time burner, I highly recommend not planning on spinning. Most large sound camps have their lineups set months in advance. If you do get a chance it might be in the heat of the day and you might be spinning for very few people. I would suggest bringing some of your tunes, but not counting on spinning, and not trying to spin somewhere the whole week. I had a burn not ruined but deflated one year by trying to spin all week, i finally gave up around friday and had a good weekend. I don't even bring tunes anymore. I let others do that job,and I am able to wander and frolic at my every whim. There is great music to be heard. If you want to spin maybe meet a bunch of folks this year and try and spin next year. Just my thoughts. hope you have a great burn!!!!!!!!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby klondike_bar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:07 am

^agreed. there are a few known "hangouts" for dancing/house/techno/etc, of which most have thier setlists determined well in advance. bring some tunes, and keep an eye out for gaps in other camps' schedules, but i wouldnt suggest getting your hopes up too high.

then again, hundreds of people showed up at verboten to see daft punk play on the discman, so you never really know out there
klondike_bar

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 am

what i missed Daft Punk, damn. hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
still giggling over that one!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby red arrow » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am

lol at the term 'spinning'
"...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant..." - Hunter S Thompson
red arrow

Postby diambag » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 am

Sound yea not plannin on spendin my whole week lookin for setups,just gonna bring a load of burnt cd's n a shitty hard drive n if the chance arises ,we'll take control.
Nice one anyway
See ye there creeps!!
diambag

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:39 am

You may have just found your playa name. :)

Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 am

DJs at Burning Man are as rare as ice at the north pole.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Token » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:40 pm

It would be far more interesting if you bring a mix of drinking songs.

I heard the Irish have a few of those.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 pm

well at least they're not british.

because, you know, British DJ's are like pond scum that cant even float.
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby missziggy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:40 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]well at least they're not british.

because, you know, British DJ's are like pond scum that cant even float.[/quote]

Bwahahahaha!!

After living these (almost) 2 years in England, I find this statement utterly hilarious. Thank you for helping me start my day off right.
xoxo
N
missziggy

Postby leydar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

Token wrote:It would be far more interesting if you bring a mix of drinking songs.

I heard the Irish have a few of those.

I'm not gonna lie to you, we do have a few of those. Here's a couple of my favourites:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9sTbsX2Fas[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMRMDogu2c[/youtube]

I'll keep an eye out for the flags lads.

Stephen
leydar

Postby red arrow » Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:DJs at Burning Man are as rare as ice at the north pole.

with the amout of co2 emitted at the burning man, there wont be fuck all ice left on the north pole pretty soon ;)
"...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant..." - Hunter S Thompson
red arrow

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu May 20, 2010 12:48 pm

red arrow wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:DJs at Burning Man are as rare as ice at the north pole.

with the amout of co2 emitted at the burning man, there wont be fuck all ice left on the north pole pretty soon ;)

Let's re-cap then;

If you are a DJ hoping to walk up to an awesome stage and play before a huge crowd at Burningman without an advance arrangement, start burning shit now. The more CO2, the less ice at the North Pole, and thus (by the good Captain's pronouncement, which I concur with) a greater rarity of DJ's (and thus greater demand for random walk-ups).

Don't wait for the event to burn enough shit for you - it may be too late.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby diambag » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 am

my only fear is that i will have a week of shit music,as ive heard its full of ,psy trance,trance n some fucker called bassnectar or some shit.nuttin worse than being surrounded by piss poor music(as far djs bein like ice at the north pole )probably true but most "dJ's" are shiiiite .im sure there will be smaller rigs with people playin decent tunes ill find good music if its the last thing i do,not plannin on strollin up to any of the big stages as these r the principal producers of piss poor music. the random buzz will make up for abundance of cheese in the air.3 weeks till we arrive in vegas and onto the man
diambag

Postby Isotopia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Is there anyone going this year who is NOT a fucking DJ or some hippie-ass poser calling themselves a shaman?
Isotopia

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:24 pm

diambag wrote:my only fear is that i will have a week of shit music,as ive heard its full of ,psy trance,trance n some fucker called bassnectar or some shit.nuttin worse than being surrounded by piss poor music

Be prepared for the worst. You have pretty much described the music.

However- it's a fairly large city, and it is possible to get away from it, albeit briefly. All the big clubs are some sort of crap music, but luckily when you're drunk you don't notice as much.

for some reason I have a really bad urge to start calling myself DJ PoserShaman and spin psy-trance tibetan bell music.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:30 pm

diambag wrote:my only fear is that i will have a week of shit music,as ive heard its full of ,psy trance,trance n some fucker called bassnectar or some shit.nuttin worse than being surrounded by piss poor music(as far djs bein like ice at the north pole )probably true but most "dJ's" are shiiiite .im sure there will be smaller rigs with people playin decent tunes ill find good music if its the last thing i do,not plannin on strollin up to any of the big stages as these r the principal producers of piss poor music. the random buzz will make up for abundance of cheese in the air.3 weeks till we arrive in vegas and onto the man

Plan on playing punk at my camp. Stop by BloodBath&Beyond
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Eric wrote:for some reason I have a really bad urge to start calling myself DJ PoserShaman and spin psy-trance tibetan bell music.

That would be bad-ass. :) You need some irritating way to spell it too, like P0s3urSh4m4n. :)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby silkkat813 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm

I was gonna consider asking you to come spin some at our camp since some of our DJs are not returning this year, but after your bitching about some music I am worried you will bitch about the DJs who we do have and then cause problems.

But we did have a great group of Irish with us last year sing Danny Boy. Do you guys spin that?
*taking the long way HOME*
silkkat813

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby alt12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Isotopia wrote:Is there anyone going this year who is NOT a fucking DJ or some hippie-ass poser calling themselves a shaman?

hahahahaha, I'm a DJ, AND a Shamanic Healer!
alt12

Postby alt12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:57 pm

diambag wrote:my only fear is that i will have a week of shit music,as ive heard its full of ,psy trance,trance n some fucker called bassnectar or some shit.nuttin worse than being surrounded by piss poor music(as far djs bein like ice at the north pole )probably true but most "dJ's" are shiiiite .im sure there will be smaller rigs with people playin decent tunes ill find good music if its the last thing i do,not plannin on strollin up to any of the big stages as these r the principal producers of piss poor music. the random buzz will make up for abundance of cheese in the air.3 weeks till we arrive in vegas and onto the man

If you like electronic music and have a week of shit music out here then something is very very wrong with you...There is so much electronic music out here that I'd be surprised you didn't dig some of it..... There is a shit ton of weird bass-heavy experimental electronic being blasted on art cars all over the place. There's weird electronic shit that you will only here out here in the desert due to the acoustics..... Of the standard underground faire, I would say breakbeatz, tech house, and electro house are the most widely heard genres out here....
alt12

Return to Get Involved!