Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 pm

junglesmacks wrote:So, we're getting ready to attempt a monster beanbag for lounging. MY thoughts are:

3 x 3 yard rectangle pieces of fabric, with the ends cut into a rounded triangle shape. Sew them together side by side, then the ends.

Am i on the right track? Should we use 4 pieces instead of 3? Any suggestions of what to fill it with? We have a hookup at a local Mailboxes Etc store, and were thinking about styrofoam peanuts (oh the humanity, I know.. I'll make sure they are recycled after). Any other suggestions of cheap filler material?

junglesmacks, I found some videos with instructions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bean-Bag

And there are a bunch here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... chair&aq=f
EmilyD

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:13 pm

jella wrote:hunks of foam will make the filling faster and hold up better. that's what they fill the love sacs with :)

Edited :)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:38 am

Ha ha, tsk tsk, dirty minds!

Off the top of my head I thought of a bean bag in three pieces, round top and bottom with a strip around the middle connecting - but that's more like a floor cushion.

For a traditional roundish bean bag...Hm. I'd probably go buy some sheets at the thrift store, stuff them with pillows from the thrift store until it has the shape I want, cut and sew it up.

I'm ghetto like that, though.

Stuffing - I second larger pieces of foam. I might also look into cotton sheets (I have a dollar a pound Goodwill, it makes for very cheap fabric and stuffing), as that could be burned.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:20 am

Orchid wrote:Thanks amigos! I was thinking more actual boot-shaped (like giant spats, I suppose) vs. standard fuzzy leg-warmer shape.

Of course, it would be way easier to just make fur bell-bottom legwarmers and strap them down with leather thongs. I shall think on this.

Hi Orchid, did you figured out how to make those? I will need knee high spats, I found some on etsy, but I cannot pay 60 USD and more for them, so I will have to do them...do you, or somebody else, have some tips for that? Thank you ;)
MisaBlue

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 am

Are y'all talking about boot covers, to cover the whole foot, or spats?
C.f.M.

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:52 am

C.f.M. wrote:Are y'all talking about boot covers, to cover the whole foot, or spats?

I just need to cover my leg - from shoe to knee.

This would be great...but it is 40 bucks and shipping...to much for me...
MisaBlue

Postby Orchid » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 am

MisaBlue wrote:
Hi Orchid, did you figured out how to make those? I will need knee high spats, I found some on etsy, but I cannot pay 60 USD and more for them, so I will have to do them...do you, or somebody else, have some tips for that? Thank you ;)

Actually, I ended up just gluing the fabric directly to the shoes. :)

Here is a spats pattern that looks pretty simple:
http://www.thankyoufornotbeingperky.com/?page_id=358
Orchid

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:45 am

MisaBlue wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:Are y'all talking about boot covers, to cover the whole foot, or spats?

Socks, cut off foot bottom, sew on elastic. Or use pant legs, cut to desired length, sew on elastic.

Are you in CZ, now? You can usually find spats cheap on Ebay, usually canvas, or through costume stores, usually felt.
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:25 pm

MisaBlue wrote:

OMG those are fucking GREAT and pink besides! But yeah $40 is a bit much. I found a couple of tutorials online about making spats/boot covers.

This one was pretty good (after the long intro):

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Make-Spats-123112355
EmilyD

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:35 am

Thank you all for advices! Lets see what I will wear on my legs :)

I am actually doing the thing from pants legs :)
MisaBlue

Postby EmilyD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 am

MisaBlue wrote:Thank you all for advices! Lets see what I will wear on my legs :)

I am actually doing the thing from pants legs :)

I'm "draping" the ones I'm making right over the boots but not attaching them directly because I don't want to change the boots for good. I'll do a before and after photo thing but today is all about sewing gobs of shadecloth!
EmilyD

Postby moonrise » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 am

Umbrella help, again! A nice Nylon fabric job from **** seasons resorts
I want to use a soldering iron to wind "vent" it..it's for sun protection sooo...
A) Burn vents into it like pokka dots
B) Burn slits into it
C) Burn slits into it in the man shape )'( say four mans total
D) Use a razor blade so I just get the venting and do not get sun leaks (I burn! man do I burn!) D) part 2; will a razor slitting leave the slits all MOOPY?

C) Is my favorite!

This is an unofficial poll (and fishing for advice too, so shoot please!!)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Orchid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:46 am

moonrise wrote:Umbrella help, again! A nice Nylon fabric job from **** seasons resorts
I want to use a soldering iron to wind "vent" it..it's for sun protection sooo...
A) Burn vents into it like pokka dots
B) Burn slits into it
C) Burn slits into it in the man shape )'( say four mans total
D) Use a razor blade so I just get the venting and do not get sun leaks (I burn! man do I burn!) D) part 2; will a razor slitting leave the slits all MOOPY?

C) Is my favorite!

This is an unofficial poll (and fishing for advice too, so shoot please!!)

I think if you try to cut a ) shape into an umbrella, the fabric will flop down and it will end up as a D shape. Perhaps make two individual slits \ and / for arms and legs and leave the middle part connected?
Orchid

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:52 am

Think "stencil." Don't join up the limbs and body, just leave a bit of fabric to keep it together.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 am

I'd go with "A" and burn small polka dots in it here and there but like the others have said stay away from the umbrella ribs or you'll make the fabric too weak. I would keep each hole or slash smaller than 3" in diameter/length and not have more than 3 on a section. Hope that helps.
EmilyD

Postby moonrise » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks ladies!

yeah the D thing flopping down isn't good

I'll test the soldering iron and may do a combo of that and slits

a lil supersticous here...can open and start outside! Thanx for the help all!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:54 pm

moonrise wrote:Thanks ladies!

yeah the D thing flopping down isn't good

I'll test the soldering iron and may do a combo of that and slits

a lil supersticous here...can open and start outside! Thanx for the help all!

And of course we want photos! ;-)
EmilyD

Postby moonrise » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 am

Awwww, what a peaceful, gentle thread.....ahhhhh...(btw, i suck at photos :(
wrong thread BUT I need to get my gear more togetha...where's my mom! just kiddin' (sorta) seriously, I have been scolded and told, get yer gear more together!!!! Ok, enuf whining!.....

I did the umbrella today!
*I used graffiti remover to rid the logo! It worked great!
*Did a ring of poka dot holes around the top with the soldering iron
*Got brave and did \'/ soldering iron slits in that shape on each section
*will bring sharp knife in case it needs more slits

It came out pretty cool, easy for a guy, and the dust will match it (grey) and can cover the teensy weensy shadow of the logo!

I can try to do a photo but mmmmm...I really did get scolded for NOT concentrating on my gear enuff...arg....i have to go there now more often...head hanging low...plodding off (for now) typical guy.....MORE SHOPPING.....OMG! i'll do it! (after one more thread here..hehehe)

Thanks gals!
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:34 am

Ok, here goes (part of the scolding i got)

The burner skater kids and i made a stencil....it is nice, we think...everyone likes the design...even the scolder!

I just wanna use it to spray paint on the back of my Tuxedo....then was told Nah, it'll be moopy, paint will fall/wear off....

Hm, I wonder...can i use fabric paint? (forgot to mention that to the scolder, a nice but stressed camp leader)

I didn't have plans to do silk screening of anything...now this issue...sheesh!

MORE STORES! It's ok, I'll do it!

Ok hit me....is fabric paint gonna be a MOOP issue or what!? (I'm ready to cry)
moonrise

Postby Orchid » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:24 am

Don't cry moonrise! I have a t-shirt that has been going to burns with me since 2007 that is spray-painted and has never mooped, even after being washed.

Use your spray paint, let it dry completely, shake the heck out of whatever it is you're painting, wrinkle it, wad it up, shake it some more - if none of the paint crackles or peels off, you're good to go. Just don't use too much paint when you're doing your stenciling - just enough to color the fabric and soak in a bit.

edited to add: I just used regular rustoleum paint that was laying around. Nothing special or fancy.
Orchid

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 am

RE Painting on clothes

I've used fabric spray paint. I did two stencils on the front and back of this dress, and some on the panels.

(That outfit is called Evil Alice's Story Time with Kierkegaard).

It's been worn and washed, never had a problem with it. It's kinda...puffy, like puffy paint, not exactly flat like if it was screenprinted, but I was pleased with it.

I'm hoping to make t-shirts for my camp using the same method (stencil and fabric spray paint).

I have like THREE new projects. Hrmph.
C.f.M.

Postby moonrise » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks Orchid and cfm, I was havin a mini meltdown, (electronic melt down?....I haven't even done a burn yet! what a baby huh!) I just wasn t sure if it'd work non-MOOP

Nextly, also got an earful on the Tele....!!!! Oh you can't paint your aluminum cane or walker! WTF? Was told the heat can do weird things to the paint and it'll peel, crackle and become MOOPY......bal bla bla..aluminum gets roasting hot...

Didn t want it to be drab, so I could lightly (or agressively) sand it and spray paint it for god sakes! (walker for stretches only I hope but...) so,hm whaddya think? (I slowly went deaf when on the Tele, said I know who to ask, next subject plz) and welp, here I is! Oh, the Tele did say try to glue fur....I have crushed velvet....no fur here....got crushed velvet and glue gun though!

Shoot...
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am

I'm sure there have been teeshirt camps that spray painted and stenciled.
And I suppose the nice blue coating on my chair also flakes...
I support leave no trace, but at some point you simply cannot chase after the microscopic...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 am

We've done sprayed painted t-shirts on the playa. They don't MOOP.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jella » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:16 am

Spray painted T-shirts sounds fun :)
I found a neat tutorial I wanted to share. I plan to try a mock up tonight for my bike basket :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9hTiqc1anE[/youtube]
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 am

I'd just go to the thrift store and look for a bag that fits. Plain ol' canvas tote bag of some sort.
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

moonrise wrote:Thanks Orchid and cfm, I was havin a mini meltdown, (electronic melt down?....I haven't even done a burn yet! what a baby huh!) I just wasn t sure if it'd work non-MOOP

Nextly, also got an earful on the Tele....!!!! Oh you can't paint your aluminum cane or walker! WTF? Was told the heat can do weird things to the paint and it'll peel, crackle and become MOOPY......bal bla bla..aluminum gets roasting hot...

Didn t want it to be drab, so I could lightly (or agressively) sand it and spray paint it for god sakes! (walker for stretches only I hope but...) so,hm whaddya think? (I slowly went deaf when on the Tele, said I know who to ask, next subject plz) and welp, here I is! Oh, the Tele did say try to glue fur....I have crushed velvet....no fur here....got crushed velvet and glue gun though!

Shoot...

How about getting a pool noodle and slitting it then covering over the handles of teh cane and walker? If it still feels weird you could cover the noodles with old socks that you slice off the feet of. That ought to make an inexpensive, colorful, comfortable cover to protect your hands.
EmilyD

Postby moonrise » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:56 pm

primo idea! pool noodles...hahaha....

also, crypto yer microsopic pointer...i get ya...a future burner coming from japan tour from my town has air brush and wants to do some of that....he's a good kid too...i know his family.

he can do something to add to burningman. i have told him about how where to learn online first...he wants to gift some firey art and god knows what else...

Thanks!!!! my sewing circle oh soooo mellow thread chums!!!!
moonrise

Postby jella » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:58 pm

My bike basket liner :)

Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby moonrise » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:29 pm

Kewel.....!!!!!!!!
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear