Tutu's

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Tutu's

Postby blakkbeauty » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:48 pm

If you are still looking for tutu's but are like me and do not have sewing skills or the time. I found this great place online Sisters of the Moon that has a great selection and they will custom make in many different colors. The prices are reasonable and turn around is in about a week.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SistersOfTheMo ... id=5538773
blakkbeauty

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:38 am

Moderator's note: referrals are allowed on eplaya. Yes, I backtracked the IP and no, it apparently is not her own etsy shop. Could she be an evil tutu-making uber-geek? Sure. But I doubt it, too much like work.

However, it is bad form for a first post to eplaya to be a business referral. Just looks sketchy.

Do create a hello and howdy threads in introductions, blakkbeauty, so we may know you better. Otherwise, why should we trust you and your referral?

And the plural of tutu is tutus. No apostrophe needed. Hey, as long as I'm doing the mod thing, I may as well do the grammar thing too. :twisted:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 pm

As it happens, she's not an evil tutu-crafting uber-geek from Rhode Island; she's a 2nd yr Burner and new Stagger from Oregon. (I've seen her on that website a couple of times.)

BB, spammers abound, so say hi in the ePlaya Introductions thread so people don't think you're selling something. Hehe.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Consequences will never be the same!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby LostinReno » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:09 pm

I have absolutely no sewing skills and made one last year using this tutorial, it turned out pretty good.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWVvxxmvKtQ[/youtube]

We made the strips twice as long, but you get the basic gist.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:15 pm

wow, i think i could even make one of these. Just want to make sure the knots are tight, wouldn't want it coming undone when I'm twirling :lol:
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby LostinReno » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:54 pm

lucky420 wrote:wow, i think i could even make one of these. Just want to make sure the knots are tight, wouldn't want it coming undone when I'm twirling :lol:

I never had any problems with the knots and you can make it as thick as you want it. I used a ton of toole!
LostinReno

Postby much2naughty2 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm

I made one for M2N2 and didn't sew. Used 1/2" elastic and cut the toole into strips a little longer than twice the length I wanted the finised tutu. I could have tied it directly onto the elastic, but to make sure I had a good tight knot, I tied it on a construction pencil, then slid it over the elastic. Dito on the large quanity of toole. Her's took 12 sq yards.
much2naughty2

Postby blakkbeauty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Please forgive me for not knowing all of the rules to join your circle. I was trying to be helpful to those who may have been in the same situation as I was, but I guess we are all supposed to be able to sew or have the time. Rest assured it will not happen again.
blakkbeauty

Postby EmilyD » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 pm

blakkbeauty wrote:Please forgive me for not knowing all of the rules to join your circle. I was trying to be helpful to those who may have been in the same situation as I was, but I guess we are all supposed to be able to sew or have the time. Rest assured it will not happen again.
Oh now...don't be like that. Come back, stay, share.
EmilyD

Postby Minxy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:56 pm

I love Sisters of the Moon! I got the idea to make my own cyberlox falls from their page last year!
Minxy

Postby much2naughty2 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:22 pm

I'll second what EmilyD said, come on back. I bought one off ebay, and once I saw how easy it was to make, and didn't need to be sewn, I just had to give it whirl.
much2naughty2

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:17 am

blakkbeauty wrote:Please forgive me for not knowing all of the rules to join your circle. I was trying to be helpful to those who may have been in the same situation as I was, but I guess we are all supposed to be able to sew or have the time. Rest assured it will not happen again.

I wasn't saying don't be helpful, or we all had to sew. But I do have to prevent people from selling things here, and sometimes people use false identities to do so. Referrals are allowed, and that was a good one. I just had no idea who you were, popping up for the first time. Most posters take the time to let the others know who they are. It isn't a rule so much as a community thing. You wouldn't walk into a room and not say hi before telling everyone what a great deal you found, would you?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Re: Tutu's

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 pm

I bookmarked the Page regardless, I can't sew to save my Life and those micro tutu's are seriously bitchin'.

Thanks for the Link-
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Re:

Postby NessaZee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 am

LostinReno wrote:I have absolutely no sewing skills and made one last year using this tutorial, it turned out pretty good.

hehehe...tututorial
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Re: Re:

Postby Kontradiction » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:28 pm

NessaZee wrote:
LostinReno wrote:I have absolutely no sewing skills and made one last year using this tutorial, it turned out pretty good.

hehehe...tututorial

Nice!

Well, I'm gonna make some duct tape clothing...(wellll okayy....I should say that I'll "try" to make some duct tape clothing for the playa, I figure hey, I won't miss it too much if it rips/tears etc as it shall most likely)....so I'll add this to the Mix!

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_5081665_make-duct-tape-corset.html[url]

Thanks!
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby maryanimal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 pm

blakkbeauty wrote:If you are still looking for tutu's but are like me and do not have sewing skills or the time. I found this great place online Sisters of the Moon that has a great selection and they will custom make in many different colors. The prices are reasonable and turn around is in about a week.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SistersOfTheMo ... id=5538773

Wow, the prices are way too high. I can make a tutu for 1/2 the price or less.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lazerfox » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 am

I have TONS of left over ribbon and tule from making our tutus earlier this year. If anyone needs tule or wants me to make one just PM and I'll do it for free!! :D

OOOH duct tape corset!!!! Adding it to my list for 2012. Thanks :!: :!:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm

A good tip for making the tutu's, I'm currently making one for a masquerade ball, is to use the spooled tulle. The spooled kind is available at Wal-Mart, 25 yards for $2.50, it's 6 inches wide so it's already perfect for making the no sew kind and comes in a variety of really great colors. In my store they have it in the aisle with the ribbon in the craft dept., but it could also be in the wedding aisle. I added what the (almost) finished product looks like as well as what the tulle look like. Hope this helps :)

MANDA.jpg
ribbon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Clever, JesseGrrl!
Savannah

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Yeah the no sew TuTus are pretty easy to make!
We call them Fold and Loop Tutus.
In the last 2 years the girls have made mine and theirs on the way to the burn. We roll and cut the tulle at home, then stick all the little rolls in grocery bags, and it gives non drives something to do on the way.
The girls were able to make two tutus while we sat in line for a few hours to get in.

The last Tutu they made from left over scraps from all the others, its just a random combination of tulle, and has been deemed the Loaner Tutu.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 pm

illy dilly wrote:The last Tutu they made from left over scraps from all the others, its just a random combination of tulle, and has been deemed the Loaner Tutu.

Reason #8764 that you might be a "Burner": You actually possess a "loaner tutu".
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:11 pm

I was also enjoying that concept's very existence.
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Savannah wrote:I was also enjoying that concept's very existence.

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII love us.
junglesmacks

Postby 48_love » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:39 pm

My wife made a 'fold and loop' tutu for Halloween ... the tule had glitter in/on it. Moopy ass shit got everywhere!

Epic concept but I still wanna get her a fancy one.
48_love

Postby lazerfox » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 pm

what would you consider fancy??
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby AntiM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:47 am

lazerfox wrote:what would you consider fancy??

I'm betting a dance crinoline with the layers of ruffles and flounces.

I made a loop tutu, and I swear, I hate it. When I took it out of the bin in the desert, it was full of static and clung to me, clung to my head, to my arms. I was trying to pry the damn thing loose, but each time I'd peel off one batch of tulle, another would latch on. I ended up wearing it on my head. ARGH.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 am

AntiM wrote:

I made a loop tutu, and I swear, I hate it. When I took it out of the bin in the desert, it was full of static and clung to me, clung to my head, to my arms. I was trying to pry the damn thing loose, but each time I'd peel off one batch of tulle, another would latch on. I ended up wearing it on my head. ARGH.

I keep finding more and more "You might be a 'Burner' if.." quotes on here.
junglesmacks

Postby 48_love » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:37 am

AntiM wrote:

Good question since I have about zero context for tutu variations. But yeah, more layers and maybe some kind of bodice. My wife's suffered a bit of static cling as well.

Freakin' tutus, man. I'm posting about tutus ... wow.
48_love

Postby AntiM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:19 am

The more terms for tutu and tutu-like skirts you know, the better your ebay searches.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear