Bar hopping at Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby bm_cricket » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:07 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
FaeTora wrote:Do you really have to carry your ID with you? hmm.... Where to put that if one is walking around in a bra and a thong. Boot i guess?

Boot, inside your bra - but if you're walking around in just a bra and thong, with no water (ie, nowhere to stick a teensy little ID), you deserve what you get...that's a really good reminder.

I felt so bad for that one bar that got fined for serving a minor.

One bar? Maybe one bar last year but I remember reading someplace a list of citations issued at the events that get published. I'm sure there are a lot of citations like that where nobody tells the friendly Rangers, BLM legal people, or anybody else and just sucks it up and deals with it.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that if you serve booze, like I do, check IDs! Just because she's 6'1", has double Ds, is wearing nothing but a thong, a lace bra, and a great big smile doesn't mean she isn't a cop. Be warned.

Oh, and don't serve anybody who doesn't bring something to drink out of or at very least a really good story about how they lost it. ;-)
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby This Woman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Homework done. I removed the part about internet distribution to save space…

NRS 202.040 False representation by minor to obtain intoxicating liquor. Every minor who shall falsely represent himself or herself to be 21 years of age in order to obtain any intoxicating liquor shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

NRS 202.055 Sale or furnishing of alcoholic beverage to minor; aiding minor to purchase or procure alcoholic beverage; policy to prevent minor from obtaining alcoholic beverage through use of Internet.
1. Every person who knowingly:
(a) Sells, gives or otherwise furnishes an alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of age;
(b) Leaves or deposits any alcoholic beverage in any place with the intent that it will be procured by any person under 21 years of age; or
(c) Furnishes, gives, or causes to be given any money or thing of value to any person under 21 years of age with the knowledge that the money or thing of value is to be used by the person under 21 years of age to purchase or procure any alcoholic beverage,
 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
2. Paragraph (a) of subsection 1 does not apply to a parent, guardian or physician of the person under 21 years of age.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:22 pm

This Woman wrote:Homework done. I removed the part about internet distribution to save space…

NRS 202.040 False representation by minor to obtain intoxicating liquor. Every minor who shall falsely represent himself or herself to be 21 years of age in order to obtain any intoxicating liquor shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

NRS 202.055 Sale or furnishing of alcoholic beverage to minor; aiding minor to purchase or procure alcoholic beverage; policy to prevent minor from obtaining alcoholic beverage through use of Internet.
(a) Sells, gives or otherwise furnishes an alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of age;
(b) Leaves or deposits any alcoholic beverage in any place with the intent that it will be procured by any person under 21 years of age; or

But, bottom line, we need to see ID? Normally don't carry my wallet on the playa. Are safeguard questions..like date of birth...legally standing? I haven't had a lot of problems in this area, but is a constant concern! If I've learned anyting, the law isn't always black an white.
(c) Furnishes, gives, or causes to be given any money or thing of value to any person under 21 years of age with the knowledge that the money or thing of value is to be used by the person under 21 years of age to purchase or procure any alcoholic beverage,
2. Paragraph (a) of subsection 1 does not apply to a parent, guardian or physician of the person under 21 years of age.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ArmadilloPuttanesca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 am

Hey everyone!

Thank you for supporting Ludo O'Dillo's Publick House!

Alas, our distributor ran out of the mugs with carabiner handles!

But wait! For every donation of $10 to the Pub, you'll receive a stainless steel mug with a lid! And we'll throw in a Ludo O'Dillo 2010 carabiner, so you can attach your mug to your camelbak, belt or nipple ring!

Check it out!

www.ludoodillo.com

See ya on the Playa! We'll be at 4:30 and Dublin, I mean Detroit![/img]
ArmadilloPuttanesca

Postby TomServo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 am

TomServo wrote:
This Woman wrote:Homework done. I removed the part about internet distribution to save space…

But, bottom line, we need to see ID? Normally don't carry my wallet on the playa. Are safeguard questions..like date of birth...legally standing? I haven't had a lot of problems in this area, but is a constant concern! If I've learned anyting, the law isn't always black an white.

Why didn't my comment post? And, what was my comment?!

TomServo

Postby Minxy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 am

Ha. Glad I read through the entire thread before whining. :D I was just going to whine that there weren't any carabiner mugs on the website. :D

You did good marketing, C.f.M. :D

ArmadilloPuttanesca wrote:Hey everyone!

But wait! For every donation of $10 to the Pub, you'll receive a stainless steel mug with a lid! And we'll throw in a Ludo O'Dillo 2010 carabiner, so you can attach your mug to your camelbak, belt or nipple ring!

Check it out!

www.ludoodillo.com

See ya on the Playa! We'll be at 4:30 and Dublin, I mean Detroit![/img]
Minxy

Postby Theres Always One » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 pm

This discussion of bar hopping confuses me. Are there camps that are specifically bars? Or are we talking about camps/theme camps that also happen to have a bar?

And I thought there was supposed to be some kind of openness? If someone comes into your camp you should offer them a drink?

I don't understand. :(
Theres Always One

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Theres Always One wrote:This discussion of bar hopping confuses me. Are there camps that are specifically bars? Or are we talking about camps/theme camps that also happen to have a bar?

There are lots of camps that have a bar as a main or major component- they can spends thousands of dollars to gift booze to fellow Burners. There are camps that serve food, there are camps that have chill spaces, there are camps that have games..... bars are just one type of interactive camp.

And I thought there was supposed to be some kind of openness? If someone comes into your camp you should offer them a drink?

I don't understand. :(

You only have to offer someone a drink (or anything) if you want to. If you're not set up as a bar, it can quickly drain your booze to just hand it out. Don't forget that laws against serving or giving alcohol to minors apply, even in your own non-bar camp.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby TomServo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

I've never expected gifts at my bar, but received plenty. I like the Temple of Atonements approach, when I last went. For a beer, they gifted me, with a bare assed spanking. After two beers, I was chained to a post, paddled and whipped.

Having your own cup, is a kind gesture, and will possibly earn respect from the bartender.

TomServo

Postby Theres Always One » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 pm

[quote="Eric"]

There are lots of camps that have a bar as a main or major component- they can spends thousands of dollars to gift booze to fellow Burners. There are camps that serve food, there are camps that have chill spaces, there are camps that have games..... bars are just one type of interactive camp.

You only have to offer someone a drink (or anything) if you want to. If you're not set up as a bar, it can quickly drain your booze to just hand it out. Don't forget that laws against serving or giving alcohol to minors apply, even in your own non-bar camp.[/quote]

So I shouldn't feel obligated to share or gift but do it because I want to?
Theres Always One

Postby TomServo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Theres Always One wrote:
Eric wrote:

You only have to offer someone a drink (or anything) if you want to. If you're not set up as a bar, it can quickly drain your booze to just hand it out. Don't forget that laws against serving or giving alcohol to minors apply, even in your own non-bar camp.

So I shouldn't feel obligated to share or gift but do it because I want to?

I think that's the idea. But don't go expecting to receive gifts. Its give and take. Bring gifts, but just let the gifting happen. WANT to gift!

TomServo

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, be sure to leave your hard hat and hammer behind because a lot of those bars won't serve miners. We must have spent all night looking for a bar that would serve us. Every time we would stick in our heads and ask if that bar served miners, they would all shout NO!
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Theres Always One wrote:So I shouldn't feel obligated to share or gift but do it because I want to?

Bingo. Gifts should be given because you want to, not because you feel obligated.

I would actually recommend gifting assistance over material things your first year. Get to know the environment before just randomly handing out crap.

Same with drinks- bring enough beer to share, and by all means if you have enough cocktail to pass around and guests you want to share with, share. But don't ever feel obligated.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Yeah, a lot of people seem to think it is about giving things to people like a big trick-or-treat event or something.

Look at it this way. There's a lot of people handing out stuff ... so imagine you take something. You put it in your pack. Now a week later you take it out. Do you remember who gave that to you? Do you think they would remember you?

You should take something nice to give to someone who had some meaningful interaction with you or have something people might need, something to remember the moment and each other by or something that might make a huge difference for someone. It isn't about standing around handing out trinkets or asking for them.

It is about seeing your neighboring camp running out of zip ties and walking over to give them a bag because you have extra. It is more often about just what is needed when it is needed.

One of the best gifts I ever got was someone who was riding by on a bike. My lips were in horrible shape as I had left my lip balm at home. She had a few tubes ... white tubes on red lanyards, that must have been 5 or 6 years ago ... she took one look and tossed me a lip balm and flashed me a smile and off she went. THAT was one of the best playa gifts I ever got. It literally saved my burn.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby C187 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:33 am

Like a few other people who've posted I can count the amount of drinks I've received over the years on one hand. I don't think any of the bars like my sippie cup. :( But if TomServo is still doing that punk bar idea, I might be inclined to stop by on my way to work. Otherwise I just carry my own drink.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 am

C187 wrote:Like a few other people who've posted I can count the amount of drinks I've received over the years on one hand. I don't think any of the bars like my sippie cup. :( But if TomServo is still doing that punk bar idea, I might be inclined to stop by on my way to work. Otherwise I just carry my own drink.

I'm working on it! And sippie cups are fine! As long as the bloody mary pulp doesn't clog them.

TomServo

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 am

C187 wrote:Like a few other people who've posted I can count the amount of drinks I've received over the years on one hand. I don't think any of the bars like my sippie cup. :( But if TomServo is still doing that punk bar idea, I might be inclined to stop by on my way to work. Otherwise I just carry my own drink.

Have you tried the Booby Bar? We love sippy cups. And I don't know if "Get the Fuck Out" night is punk enough for you, but at least we're trying.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 am

At least bring your own cup, cut down on trash.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby marcher5877 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:26 am

I think that if a bar owner asks you "are you old enough to drink alcohol?" and you answer, they they are not liable. But its the bar owners resposabilit yto ask. If its obvious that someone is young, just ask them and remember that you have the right to not serve anyone.

I have been asked before on the playa, but the owner just let me know that the bar next door just got busted and they were just being cautios. I am 34 and look 34, so I told them that I didnt have ID on me, but I would be happy to go back and get it but he trusted me and I trusted him and the beer went well with the bacon.
marcher5877

Postby C187 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:35 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Have you tried the Booby Bar? We love sippy cups. And I don't know if "Get the Fuck Out" night is punk enough for you, but at least we're trying.

I've walked past it. Never felt the need to go in. What's the phrase for Friday? If it's not critical dicks in critical bums, with critical giggles I'm going to be disappointed. And damn it.. Friday is one of my few nights off, so it better be fucking worth it.

TomServo wrote:I'm working on it! And sippie cups are fine! As long as the bloody mary pulp doesn't clog them.

I'll keep an eye on your OP for placement infos.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 pm

marcher5877 wrote:I think that if a bar owner asks you "are you old enough to drink alcohol?" and you answer, they they are not liable.

Not true. If they don't physically check the ID of anyone who appears underage, and that person is underage, the bar is liable for serving a minor.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby MissNev » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:30 pm

The bartender can even be held liable if the id presented is fake and the bartender doesn't catch it, though these cases have been harder to prosecute.

C187, come find us at The Livers End. We will be listed on Playa Info, and I guarantee you'll have a positive experience!
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End
MissNev

Postby kman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

ArmadilloPuttanesca wrote:Hey everyone!

Check it out!

www.ludoodillo.com

See ya on the Playa! We'll be at 4:30 and Dublin, I mean Detroit!

Yoiks! I think my wife got her order in before you ran out... any way to confirm? I think I was picking up on the playa. Or are regular mugs being swapped for carabiner mugs once the latter are gone?
kman

Postby capjbadger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Eric wrote:
marcher5877 wrote:I think that if a bar owner asks you "are you old enough to drink alcohol?" and you answer, they they are not liable.

Not true. If they don't physically check the ID of anyone who appears underage, and that person is underage, the bar is liable for serving a minor.

I'd bust their sorry asses...

Me: "Are you old enough to legally drink alcohol?"
Narc Kid: "Yes."
Me: "Good. Let's see some ID."
Narc Kid: "Umm... I don't have it on me."
Me: "I see. You will now stay here till I get the cops to come arrest your lying ass..."

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:40 pm

capjbadger wrote:
Eric wrote:

I'd bust their sorry asses...

Me: "Are you old enough to legally drink alcohol?"
Narc Kid: "Yes."
Me: "Good. Let's see some ID."
Narc Kid: "Umm... I don't have it on me."
Me: "I see. You will now stay here till I get the cops to come arrest your lying ass..."

-Badger

Asked for an ID from a girl who looked 15. She was a little perturbed, but came by hours later with her ID...and husband, who was clearly over 30! She was 33. Its a hard call on the playa.

TomServo

Postby pbmaniac2000 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 am

Well since we are on the subject of checking ids at bars, i figured I would chime something in.

Do NOT walk around on the playa with your actual ID. Leave it in your car! Every year I go to a local print shop and have them photo copy my id. They do a hi-def photo copy then laminate it for $5. You can also just copy it on any copy machine and just carry the copy with you.

If you loose your id on the playa and have to take a plane back home, you are in big trouble. If you get stopped for any reason on the drive back, it will cause you big headaches too. Maybe its just me being paranoid, but i've lost my id on trips before and it really makes life miserable.
pbmaniac2000

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:58 am

pbmaniac2000 wrote:Well since we are on the subject of checking ids at bars, i figured I would chime something in.

Do NOT walk around on the playa with your actual ID. Leave it in your car! Every year I go to a local print shop and have them photo copy my id. They do a hi-def photo copy then laminate it for $5. You can also just copy it on any copy machine and just carry the copy with you.

If you loose your id on the playa and have to take a plane back home, you are in big trouble. If you get stopped for any reason on the drive back, it will cause you big headaches too. Maybe its just me being paranoid, but i've lost my id on trips before and it really makes life miserable.

And on a lanyard? I like the idea.

TomServo

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:14 am

TomServo wrote:
pbmaniac2000 wrote:Well since we are on the subject of checking ids at bars, i figured I would chime something in.

That is a super sweet idea. I was actually going to to ahead and get a duplicate made at the DMV and then leave the extra at the house that I'm flying in and out from. I'd say you could even expand on this idea and put your camp name/address on there just in case of emergency..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 am

junglesmacks wrote:
TomServo wrote:

That is a super sweet idea. I was actually going to to ahead and get a duplicate made at the DMV and then leave the extra at the house that I'm flying in and out from. I'd say you could even expand on this idea and put your camp name/address on there just in case of emergency..

Even better!

TomServo

Postby This Woman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 am

I'm planning on using my old ID from before an address change. It looks completely valid and up to date except they punched a hole in it. I'll use the hole to hook the lanyard.

That said, it will be the first year I've carried an ID. The times they are a changin'.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink