Are Undercover Cops Asking to Join Your Camp??

Postby geospyder » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm working the Western States Police and Fire Games again tomorrow - I'll ask about the bacon.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 am

I don't even take gifted drugs. No way. Oh jeez no way - not with the current lynch-mob mentality that LE has had the past few years...

Same here. I was wearing a costume w/ a prop cigarette in '08, and a guy seated in the dome of a small-to-medium dance camp (operating at least several years running) asked if I had an extra cigarette. I did, and gave it freely. He opened a cigar-box sized tin of an illicit substance on his lap, and offered me something in return. It wasn't my scene, but for a moment I pondered it anyway, as free things (potential gifts for other people) are hard to turn down. Natural caution won out, however, and I declined.

He didn't look like a l.e.o. (I wont say my reasons) but I still wonder if he was. I'm definitely curious as to whether offering something to someone and then arresting them when they accept is kosher in NV. It almost doesn't matter, as I expect a certain amount of rule-bending even among lawmen.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 am

Boijoy wrote:yup. her arms are all tan & her legs aren't . cop.

Shit, I have a farmer tan, I must be a cop!
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 am

What those shorts say to me is "yeast infection."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:04 am

maybe she was with "black rock bakery"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ibdave » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 pm

ygmir wrote:maybe she was with "black rock bakery"?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U[/youtube]
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Sail Man » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm

ygmir wrote:
Boijoy wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:No, no they're not.

I guess I'm not camping with the cool kids.

shhhhh me's thinkin fishy might be one of em'... :shock:

*lifts blanket*
nope, she doesn't seem to be.....

under covers........hahahaaha

You are such a naughty boy :lol:

One of the reasons I love ya :wink:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:07 am

Well, I sent out some emails like that the first year I got to finally use one of my tickets.
I just wanted a place to park a tent.
I never knew theme camps ever had any services at all until I got there.
And all my emails got lost, because I still didn't understand how they worked.

But if you're suspicious, email me (not pm).
I have some ideas and I'm not posting them.

And I still urge everyone to tag any undercover art cars you find.
And be sure to get the photos out to the ap as fast as you can.
Try to take pictures of their face.
Really good idea with anyone you're suspicious of.

I'm not going to teach a course on how to be a better undercover on here, but watch the eyes.
Why do you think so many cops wear sunglasses?
And yes, ask questions.
Think about it and you'll come up with good ones.

Try to look smart and on top of things.
This may not be possible for some people.
This is not who smart cops want to interact with.

I suggest that giving away drugs may be used to gain acceptance to fit in, for many possible reasons.
And there are cops there that are attending and not undercover.
But it may be a good idea to not tempt fate.
Smoking drugs in an area may be an excuse for a search either fishing or targeted.

Want to know who's undercover?
They have tried to recruit me more than once, though not for burning man.
And I've been mistaken for undercover by cops a few times too.
They prefer people that are capable and smart, but you don't know who it will be.

I doubt the best undercover people would waste their time trying to make misdemeanor arrests.
That probably explains why so many are spotted so easily.
I'd bet the better undercover cops at burning man are dealing drugs, not making arrests at all.
Just cover.

I would imagine there are some there that are not undercover for burning man, but for something longer range.
I can tell you how to identify someone like that, but not how to spot them.

I once saw an undercover out there get frustrated at the lack of drugs.
He said fuck it, I'm gonna go get drunk.
And he headed for a loud camp.
Maybe he stumbled over something then, but I don't think he was looking any more.
Reminded me of the cop on the Good Guys.

You can spot 99.9% of them if you're good enough.
But the important thing is that narcotics cops will ask you to buy, sell, trade or give them drugs.
And the answer is always
There are drugs in Reno.
gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:20 am

Fire_Moose wrote:Just ask if they are a cop....they have to tell you ;)

Okay, that's hysterical.
Let me try.

Cops can't use drugs, so if they use drugs, they aren't cops.
Flying is safer than driving.
Hot water freezes faster than cold.
gyre

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:26 am

gyre wrote:And I still urge everyone to tag any undercover art cars you find.

Well Gyre, not the best idea. I was pegged as an undercover art car a few years back. I had on a tee shirt and a baseball hat while driving it, so that didn't help dispelling that narcish feel. I didn't realize until someone told me that I was suspected of being a cop.

Caution is one thing, but paranoia is another. Don't do stupid things and you won't have to worry. I had to put naked people up on top of my car for the entire week to try to stop the rumors about my car. I had no choice--I had to do it! (it took nearly a month to get all the ass prints off of it)
Sham

Postby Token » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:33 am

You say that like its a bad thing. :shock:
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby ibdave » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:48 am

My camp mate and I were out and about when we walked into the petting zoo bar. I was called out so fast it was funny.. The bar keep called me "magnum PI" My camp mate had to vouch for me..I do sport a "copstach" 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby geospyder » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:21 am

gyre wrote:...And there are cops there that are attending and not undercover...

Yes there are, they paid for their tickets, are "off duty" and having lots of fun.

BTW - I think most of you know that asking a cop if he is a cop is one of the most misunderstood things around. Below is an answer to the following question "I went to the corner to buy some coke. I asked the guy if he was a cop and he said no. After I bought the stuff, he arrested me. Can I beat the charge because he lied?"

"No. This is perfectly legal in most jurisdictions. Your question repeats one that is often asked, as people for some reason assume that dishonesty by a police officer should always lead to a dismissal. It is only police tactics that deprive you of some constitutional right that will lead to suppression of evidence and a consequential dismissal.

You didn’t use the word, but your question is centered around the legal doctrine of “entrapment,â€
geospyder

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 am

Shambala wrote:
gyre wrote:And I still urge everyone to tag any undercover art cars you find.

Well Gyre, not the best idea. I was pegged as an undercover art car a few years back. I had on a tee shirt and a baseball hat while driving it, so that didn't help dispelling that narcish feel. I didn't realize until someone told me that I was suspected of being a cop.

Caution is one thing, but paranoia is another. Don't do stupid things and you won't have to worry. I had to put naked people up on top of my car for the entire week to try to stop the rumors about my car. I had no choice--I had to do it! (it took nearly a month to get all the ass prints off of it)

See, this just proves some people are morons and will get arrested no matter what.
I'm afraid morons are beyond my purview.

I stand by my advice.

But for those having trouble following along, undercover art cars typically are marginal and lack any permit whatsoever.
They will want drugs for a ride typically.
Or they want to share on the ride, if you have drugs.
I've seen both.
If they have a tag, you can report them to the dmv and the rangers.
Do both.
Find me.
I'll tag them and get the pictures worldwide too.
Not to worry.
Any cop could live this down in thirty or forty years.
If they stay away from our art cars, we'll get along just fine.

The important thing is that you can always spot them because...
They will ask you to give, sell, buy or barter drugs.

Hello
They will ask you to give, sell, buy or barter drugs.

I've had people decide I'm a cop, because I asked to enter their camp or tent.
I always thought that was appropriate with people I don't know, but not so much with the paranoid.

The khaki and wingtips I wear, don't seem to fool anybody.
gyre

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:46 am

I have never seen so many people afraid of cops in my life.

Jeez. Don't be cop bait and cops won't nibble on you.

Don't go around being all "I am all about drugs and shit" would be my first piece of advice. Just be you. And if that IS you, then getting busted is probably just a matter of time anyway.

The "I am mister drug-ass motherfucker" shtick is going to get you busted anyway. If you think your way of being cool and badass is telling people who you don't know that you have drugs or know where to get them, then you ARE going to get busted at some point and you have nobody to blame but you. See, here's the thing, when you start playing the "I can get really great drugs" thing really obviously ... the really kewl kidz are going to begin to place distance between themselves and you. The really kewl kidz don't get busted because they aren't stupid.

So ... if I am out there and some potatohead tells me I need to provide drugs for a ride, I am going to tell them "sure, no problem, take me to $whereIwantTOgo" and then when we get there I will get off the art car, disappear for a few minutes, come back and tell them "sorry, he's all out, thanks for the ride!" which in the meantime, since he was busy driving me to $whereIwantTOgo thinking he was going to bust someone, your ass got saved from being busted.

You're welcome.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am

geekster wrote:Jeez. Don't be cop bait and cops won't nibble on you.

Gotta agree with this whole-heartedly. Back in the Piss Clear days (I sound like an old codger) we used to always have LEO's coming by to pick up the paper, and they told us some of the best stories of people getting hit with the Idiot Tax.

There are indeed officials out there to get drug busts, but a large majority of the Feds at least request BMan duty because they enjoy it. They would much rather not have to deal with shit so they can relax. Don't be obvious and stupid, you'll be fine.

Hell, I think they use our old "drug" issues as reference- I know one BLM ranger who said he had collected every copy of that issue because it made him laugh his ass off.

If you're too stupid to think, pay the fine.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lucky420 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 am

best advice yet "don't be obvious and stupid"
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Piss Clear had some serious competition from the Spock Science Monitor for a couple of years there.

http://www.pigdog.org/features/ssm2002/ssm2002.htm
geekster

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Oh how you eplayan burner freaks inspire me!

I made up a bunch of very cool, police specific swag to pass out to any suspected police or undercover cops. This something that any cop would actually want to commemerate the event for them. Instead of me being a jerk, I will just offer this piece of swag and say "aren't you a cop"? This is full color with a police shield on it with the symbol of the man and the word POLICE across the front. I can also pass it out to anyone underage looking for alcohol to entrap me. "Hey kid, can you give this to your dad for me"?
Sham

Postby geospyder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Shambala - are you going to at the Meet & Greet Thursday night? I have to check out the swag.
geospyder

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:19 pm

geekster wrote:Piss Clear had some serious competition from the Spock Science Monitor for a couple of years there.

http://www.pigdog.org/features/ssm2002/ssm2002.htm

Holy Crap, we love the Monitor. One of the funniest things ever published on the playa.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 pm

geospyder wrote:Shambala - are you going to at the Meet & Greet Thursday night? I have to check out the swag.

Are you a cop? If so, you can have one. :D
Yes, I will be there.
Sham

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:42 pm

I guess that is one of the things I really think there should be more of out there but it is hard to produce under harsh conditions. I thought it was funny that the day after Paul Addis set fire to the man that Tuesday evening, there were t-shirts commemorating the event circulating on the playa. But that goes to show you the resourcefulness of the folks out there.

See, the thing is that there are SO many resources available out there and with things like BMIR, if you get a brainstorm you can put out a call to see if what you need to pull it off is out there. You could pull together something really cool in a short period of time if you can gather the resources that are already out there but probably scattered about the city among people who don't know each other.

One art project idea I had once was to make a sort of giant Tinkertoy sort of thing out of metal pipe of various colors and length and some fittings. Just dump the pile of it out there and allow the participants to just start putting it together and see what it turned into. Maybe have some pieces of tarp and ball bungis and they can enclose various bits of it. Oh, and have a sign that says "don't play with these" just in case someone gets hurt you can say "well, I told them not to play with them". But since it is written in Manipuri, everyone ignores it.

There was that great vortex of narcissistic energy that was Dickie Box (look at ME!) which should have had London Tipton in it.

Oh, man ... thats the thing about BM ... one can just go on and on and on.
geekster

Postby geospyder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Shambala wrote:
geospyder wrote:Shambala - are you going to at the Meet & Greet Thursday night? I have to check out the swag.

Are you a cop? If so, you can have one. :D
Yes, I will be there.

No - but as you know that answer doesn't mean anythng :twisted:
geospyder

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:39 am

I tell ya, whatever cop invented the myth that cops had to tell you if they were when asked, is brilliant.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Mulligan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 am

I swear that chick stopped by our camp last year. It was just really weird. She rode by on her bike and then stopped really quickly - poked her head in our shelter and asked, "Got any marijuana?" We said no and she started riding down the road to stop and ask the next camp the same thing. She weirded us out. Alarm bells started going off once she rode off and we all came to the conclusion that she was a narc. This year I'm going to retort "Jesus loves you and the bible says you shouldn't pollute your body."
Mulligan

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:25 pm

My favorite stories on this subject matter involve the Town Criers who bellow "Did you just ask me to buy drugs?!? Why, I never! Sir, that is ILLEGAL. I'm going to have to ask you to leave!"

The good ones kick up enough fuss to warn (or more importantly, entertain) every encampment within 100 yards. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MistressSybs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Undercover LEO or ID10T begging to get busted? Every time I read about how there's no drugs and LEOs all over the place, this image comes to mind... LOL

MistressSybs

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Be surprised what one can do with a sharpie when someone else is asleep. Was the person aware that the message was written on their back? Seriously.
geekster

Postby geospyder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:51 pm

I've seen that first hand. A guy was passed out on a train and his "friends" painted up his face with full ladies makeup. They then took a picture of him with his own camera. To top it all off, when the train came into the station they "woke" him up and aimed him at the door. He made if off the train OK but then walked straight into a wall and down he went. Great friends he had.
geospyder

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Theme Camps