Canned Beer Options in Fernley/Reno

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Canned Beer Options in Fernley/Reno

Postby MistressSybs » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:44 pm

We're pretty much shiner bach drinkers and are wondering if you can get shiner in can's in the Fernley/Reno area? If not, is there a list of prevalently sold beers in the area - I thought I saw one somewhere and have searched for it but couldn't find it.
MistressSybs

Postby Token » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Trader Joes has some OK stuff in cans.

I bring kegs and 22 Oz bottles.

Haven't found a beer in a can I like yet.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby cahlm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:39 pm

I work at the Whole Foods in Reno. I know I've seen it come through before, but stock always changes. There are still some awesome canned beers there though, including PBR, my beer of choice.
cahlm

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:46 pm

I've seen newcastle and corona in cans at bevmo. I don't know if there's one in northern nevada though. I think they have guiness in cans too.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby MistressSybs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 am

See I'm totally NOT a fan of cans either... hate the taste... but one of my camp partners (we're all virgins) keeps asking if I think we should avoid the beer bottles and move to cans. My thoughts on it has always been, if the bottle doesn't leave the rv than no harm no foul right? We pour our beer into our traveling container and go. And most alcohol comes in bottles too right? Sure we have to pack out the glass bottles to a recycling camp but we packed em in right? So I keep thinking it shouldn't be a big deal and she keeps asking... SO help a girl out... do I really need to hunt up cans or alter my beer preference?
MistressSybs

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 am

MistressSybs wrote:See I'm totally NOT a fan of cans either... hate the taste... but one of my camp partners (we're all virgins) keeps asking if I think we should avoid the beer bottles and move to cans. My thoughts on it has always been, if the bottle doesn't leave the rv than no harm no foul right? We pour our beer into our traveling container and go. And most alcohol comes in bottles too right? Sure we have to pack out the glass bottles to a recycling camp but we packed em in right? So I keep thinking it shouldn't be a big deal and she keeps asking... SO help a girl out... do I really need to hunt up cans or alter my beer preference?

I'm going to drink "good" beer in camp out of a bottle and save the less desirable canned stuff for cruising around. Margaritas might be nice too, mmm!
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby LostinReno » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am

MistressSybs wrote:See I'm totally NOT a fan of cans either... hate the taste... but one of my camp partners (we're all virgins) keeps asking if I think we should avoid the beer bottles and move to cans. My thoughts on it has always been, if the bottle doesn't leave the rv than no harm no foul right? We pour our beer into our traveling container and go. And most alcohol comes in bottles too right? Sure we have to pack out the glass bottles to a recycling camp but we packed em in right? So I keep thinking it shouldn't be a big deal and she keeps asking... SO help a girl out... do I really need to hunt up cans or alter my beer preference?

We managed both last year, as long as your responsible with the bottles, just keep in mind its more bulky garbage you need to haul out. If you are a fan of microbrews we have an excellent microbrew in Reno called Buckbean Brewery. They only sell beer in cans, growlers, or kegs. If you like a Guiness type, their Black Noddy is excellent! They are a little pricey but totally worth it.
LostinReno

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 am

Token wrote:Trader Joes has some OK stuff in cans.

I bring kegs and 22 Oz bottles.

Haven't found a beer in a can I like yet.

Fat tire sometimes sells in cans. if I see it I sometimes buy it. Otherwise it's homebrew or no brew.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby LostinReno » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 am

http://www.buckbeanbeer.com/

They kind of give the story on why they use cans. It tastes just as good as anything out of a bottle IMHO.
LostinReno

Postby geospyder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:06 am

I'll second Buckbean plus they posted on Facebook that they have a Burner special - buy four cases and get a fifth free. As Lost mentioned they are a little pricy but they are good. BTW their cans are full pints so you instead of a six pack you get a four pack.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am

MistressSybs wrote:My thoughts on it has always been, if the bottle doesn't leave the rv than no harm no foul right?

The pertinent questions are: If there's a break in the rv will the shards get outside and on the playa? If they do, will you do the stoop labor of picking up every single one?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LostinReno » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 am

Another thing Buckbean will do is fill growlers from other companies (others logo's on them). I've personally done this. A cheaper option but you have to actually go to the brewery to get them filled.
LostinReno

Postby MistressSybs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
MistressSybs wrote:My thoughts on it has always been, if the bottle doesn't leave the rv than no harm no foul right?

The pertinent questions are: If there's a break in the rv will the shards get outside and on the playa? If they do, will you do the stoop labor of picking up every single one?

If I have glass break in my house do I open the door and sweep it out into the yard? Nope. I use a dust pan and broom or a shop vac - both of which are packed and ready to be shipped along with some tape to wrap around our hands to pick up all stray slivers. =)

But to answer the question would I stoop to remove it from the playa? HELL YES by any means available! a) we are firm believers in the LNT way; b) I would hate for anyone's trip to be marred by glass in the feet and c) the last thing I want is for fishy to come over and bust my ass! LOL
MistressSybs

Postby MistressSybs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:47 am

And thank you for all the tips - I think while we're tooling around picking up gear in Reno / Sparks we may have to check out one of those beers to see if it'll work all week for us. =)
MistressSybs

Postby dinks » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Last year the 7/11 on West Mcarran and the 80 had a large collection of canned bears on hand. I'd never seen Fat Tire in a can before but they had it. Most places in Reno will be stocked so I would not loose sleep over it.
dinks

Postby Boijoy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Here Here !! Buckbean Tule Duck!! :D
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Return to Food & Drink