Burning Man, doing it right.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Do you really want a form letter like the one your Congressman sends you?

There, FIFY.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:12 pm

This here horse? Dead to me. Thanks, it's been fun. I think we're at the point where everything's been said (actually we probably reached that point before I chimed in)

Good luck and happy burning.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Aw, I was kind of enjoying this. Well, I am writing out my other idea, the one that I really want to devote time and work to. I would like to know what you all think, but I think it warrants its own thread. Will post it in a moment.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm looking forward to it... I *do* think the idea has merits (a meritocracy??) and would love to see how and if it works on whatever scale it ends up working on.

Oh yeah, fast side note - If you worked for placement, you would see the phenomenal headache they go thru just keeping the existing stuff sorted while getting everyone placed. Serious - that gig is almost a year round one, they have not just theme camps but art installs and villages and certain camps that won't or can't be next to other camps...

On top of all of that, they have to follow the (for lack of a better term) whims of the LLC board. They are the ultimate authority of what goes where.

That's why for them it would be difficult (if not impossible) to separate a huge chunk out of the city to devote to this (and yes, 1/8 of BRC is a huge chunk of real estate) to devote only to tent camping - because it restricts what they can do with the (believe it or not) limited amount of space they have.

I've seen the city go thru gyrations and permutations trying to get more space out of the same pentagonal space and on top of it keep the realms of public safety and tradition (like having the big open playa behind the man) in place, while also working to make the city more interactive (the new plazas, etc), Convenient (like when Arctica subs went in at the 3 and 9 plaza) and maintainable.

And of course, there's the whole art car thing - which is a chapter in itself.

Anyway, I am kinda excited to see what this other idea is... Good luck.

Going back to the rousing chorus of Torremolinos, Torremolinos while drinking my warm Watney's Red barrel...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Apart from the fact that there's Hushville and the AEZ, some people are in walk in camping not because they've been ghettoized by an unfeeling org, but because
They Want To Be Out On The Edge Of The City!!!!
I know this sounds bizarre and shocking, but some people like the peace and quiet and distance.

Ahem!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 pm

Yes, Fishy, I have heard that from many out there. They LIKE it there. The peace and quiet. That is why I was curious if he had polled any of the other campers out there to see if there was any great groundswell of discontent with the accommodations out there. I would think we would have heard about it before if there were.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:45 pm

It' just irks me to have said "some" twice and then be asked if everyone felt that way.

Words in my mouth makes Fishy testy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

^^ Right you are. Sorry bout that.

BTW, here is my other idea for those who have not seen it yet:

viewtopic.php?t=35219

As I said, when I get the time, this is really what I want to devote it to.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy