Burning Man, doing it right.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Golf clap. That was epic.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm

Hoolie, you are a perfect example of "the problem". You have this "somebody should do something" attitude. Why don't YOU do it? There is nothing stopping you from creating exactly what you stated you wanted.

If there was that much demand, you would figure someone would have done it over the past 20 some years. Burning Man didn't just happen yesterday. It's been around a year or two.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I really think if he (or she?) is serious, they should do as I suggested. Start as a theme, work to a village if it catches, THEN present it to the board.

If it had a proven track record, and I were one of the exalted (giggles) I would listen. If someone writes me a letter without showintg how it would wirk and that it would work, then they would prolly be ignored.

Ask me about vendors trying to pull sales calls on me. Same thing. If either I don't want/need it or your junk don't work, hasta la vista, and don't waste my time until you show me it does.

I said my piece... if I was pushing their agenda how I would work it. The ball is in their court - it's up to that person to do the legwork and assbust to show why it will work, with examples how it *has* worked.

WIth the snarl over what I said, however, it sounds like, well, snark... lost my intrest.

I'm going back to planning my vacation now - I hear BRC is quite lovely this time of year...
User avatar
Lassen Forge
Moderator
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I am in awe of AntiM's knowledge of really weird songs.


I have been demented for years. I will burn a CD for you.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:48 pm

oh, oh, just got my tickets. Travel agent thought I said Birmingham.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Hoolie wrote:I don't begrudge anyone who stays in an RV, especially if they are making valuable contributions elsewhere in the city (and many of them do). However, I do advocate a tent-only section somewhere within the main city, i.e. not isolated and banished to the outskirts like the walk-in section. It could start small, with say 1/8 of the city designated as tent-only. I guarantee spaces there would be in high demand were it implemented. Such setups are not unusual in standard recreational camping areas. Many of them have separate sections for RVs and tents. I wrote BRC LLC with such a proposal a while back, but never got a response.


We call it Hushville.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:59 pm

AntiM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I am in awe of AntiM's knowledge of really weird songs.


I have been demented for years. I will burn a CD for you.


is there a line?...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 am

There are some really excellent decaffeinated coffees now.
Sus? Captain?


I know those of you on here know what a fragile flower I am, but occasionally I do muster up an opinion, and I have mailed in a few suggestions for afterburn review and what not, and though I have never had a response back, a few have happened later.
Could just be a coincidence of good judgement, but some suggestions have been quite specific.
Anyway, some things do change.

I am actually a little startled when anyone takes my advice, because I never expect that to happen.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:10 am

BBS, that was AWESOME.
User avatar
swampdog
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Bellingham WA
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Frankenstipe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 am

[quote="geekster"]oh, oh, just got my tickets. Travel agent thought I said Birmingham.[/quote]

Hehe last year we passed through a town called Burney on our way to the Burn. We're going to Burney Man.
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.
User avatar
Frankenstipe
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: Arcata, CA

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:28 am

ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I am in awe of AntiM's knowledge of really weird songs.


I have been demented for years. I will burn a CD for you.


is there a line?...........


This year, yes. I'm in line for my own line. For everything.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:53 am

AntiM wrote:
ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I am in awe of AntiM's knowledge of really weird songs.


I have been demented for years. I will burn a CD for you.


is there a line?...........


This year, yes. I'm in line for my own line. For everything.



For everything - line, line, line
they're there for burners - line line line...
And a line for every purpose in sight of the Man...

A line for free booze, a lineup for schwag
A line for the JOTS, (that one makes me gag)
a line for ice, under Arctica's flag
A line at gree-eee-e-ters...

For everything - line, line, line
they're there for burners - line line line...
And a line for every purpose in sight of the Man...

A line at the Temple, a line at the Gate
A line at Exodus, you wait and you wait
A line at DMV, to license your skate
And lines at Cen-ter-camp to buy some coffee...

For everything - line, line, line
they're there for burners - line line line...
And a line for every purpose in sight of the Man...

A line to help, a line to volunteer
a line at the burn, where you just want to cheer
A line at a bar, for a damn lukewarm beer
Lines so long, you jut have to, shed you a tear...
User avatar
Lassen Forge
Moderator
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:19 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
AntiM wrote:
ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I am in awe of AntiM's knowledge of really weird songs.


I have been demented for years. I will burn a CD for you.


is there a line?...........


This year, yes. I'm in line for my own line. For everything.



For everything - line, line, line
they're there for burners - line line line...
And a line for every purpose in sight of the Man...

A line for free booze, a lineup for schwag
A line for the JOTS, (that one makes me gag)
a line for ice, under Arctica's flag
A line at gree-eee-e-ters...

For everything - line, line, line
they're there for burners - line line line...
And a line for every purpose in sight of the Man...

A line at the Temple, a line at the Gate
A line at Exodus, you wait and you wait
A line at DMV, to license your skate
And lines at Cen-ter-camp to buy some coffee...

For everything - line, line, line
they're there for burners - line line line...
And a line for every purpose in sight of the Man...

A line to help, a line to volunteer
a line at the burn, where you just want to cheer
A line at a bar, for a damn lukewarm beer
Lines so long, you jut have to, shed you a tear...


put that to music, BBS:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDIBTS_xDQ&feature=related[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:22 am

ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I am in awe of AntiM's knowledge of really weird songs.


I have been demented for years. I will burn a CD for you.


is there a line?...........

Yeah, sure anyone who wants to burn a CD for me can. The line can snake around the boobies and then over to Playa Raiders...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37421
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 am

I think BBSue just earned herself 50 PlayaPoints.*

Apart from the fact that there's Hushville and the AEZ, some people are in walk in camping not because they've been ghettoized by an unfeeling org, but because
They Want To Be Out On The Edge Of The City!!!!
I know this sounds bizarre and shocking, but some people like the peace and quiet and distance.

So yeah, start a camp, set those rules and see what happens.

*PlayaPoints can be redeemed for Harvey Hut tokens, amoung many other wonderous things.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37421
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

geekster wrote:Hoolie, you are a perfect example of "the problem". You have this "somebody should do something" attitude. Why don't YOU do it? There is nothing stopping you from creating exactly what you stated you wanted.

Move walk-in camping from the outskirts to the city proper? Would that I could.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am

AntiM wrote:We call it Hushville.

Yes, I'm aware of hushville. I'm not talking about noise restrictions. I'm talking about a vehicle free zone.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think BBSue just earned herself 50 PlayaPoints.*

Apart from the fact that there's Hushville and the AEZ, some people are in walk in camping not because they've been ghettoized by an unfeeling org, but because
They Want To Be Out On The Edge Of The City!!!!
I know this sounds bizarre and shocking, but some people like the peace and quiet and distance.

So yeah, start a camp, set those rules and see what happens.

*PlayaPoints can be redeemed for Harvey Hut tokens, amoung many other wonderous things.

Do you know that they all feel this way? Or do some of them go there because they want to do walk-in camping, and that's where the walk-in camping area is? I would add that it's pretty sparsely populated out there, and I think the isolation discourages people away that otherwise like the idea of walk-in camping. I actually proposed camping there this year, but my campmates were against the idea, not because they didn't like tenting it or carting the gear, but because they would feel "banished" from the city. I didn't argue because I think it's a valid point. These are also people who, like me, seek walk-in camping on various other camping trips during the year. I'm also not proposing it be in the middle of 5&B. I would place it on the outer blocks, opposite where it is now.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Hmmm... I note you'd rather argue than take my suggestion. Fine. I'm not here for an argument, I'm here to book a vacation.

Serious - you want to do something like this, start small (theme camp), and work big (village and etc.) IF it's a workable idea - I guarantee you the llc will notice it.

I get your suggestion, but I am not talking about creating something new. I'm talking about re-arranging what already exists.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:04 am

So ... re-arrange it. Why do you demand someone ELSE do it for you? What's stopping you from making exactly what you want?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am

geekster wrote:So ... re-arrange it. Why do you demand someone ELSE do it for you? What's stopping you from making exactly what you want?

Please, at least do me the courtesy of accurately representing my points. Where, exactly, did I "demand" anything?
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:33 am

Hoolie wrote:I don't begrudge anyone who stays in an RV, especially if they are making valuable contributions elsewhere in the city (and many of them do). However, I do advocate a tent-only section somewhere within the main city, i.e. not isolated and banished to the outskirts like the walk-in section. It could start small, with say 1/8 of the city designated as tent-only. I guarantee spaces there would be in high demand were it implemented. Such setups are not unusual in standard recreational camping areas. Many of them have separate sections for RVs and tents. I wrote BRC LLC with such a proposal a while back, but never got a response.


Ok, you are correct, "demand" was the wrong word. But what you are "proposing" is that BMORG do something that is completely within your power to do yourself. So you sent BMORG a proposal that they do something as if they really don't have much else to do and are sitting around waiting for direction from burners. What you don't seem to be understanding is that if you wish to have a "tent only" area, make one! It is completely within your power to make that reality happen. BMORG is probably not going to respond to your suggestion because they probably feel there is no need to. You can make that suggestion happen yourself.

You appear to me to be a manifestation of a generation who has been so conditioned to be powerless and told what to do and have everything planned for them that they don't know how to take the initiative and make their own dreams come true. There is an alternative at Burning Man. The thing hasn't become so regulated that you can't make just exactly the sort of space you dream of without any input from anyone. Yeah, it will take some work on your part. Is that the problem? Would you rather just shoot off an idea to "the powers that be" and have them do it for you? That isn't likely to happen. Basically there is a subset of people who need to be told where to go and what to do. Walk-in camping is for those people. It is sort of a default space for them. But there is absolutely nothing in this world that prevents them from banding together themselves and making their own "tents only walk-in camp" anywhere in the city.

You already have the power to do that. BMORG doesn't have to do anything because they have already done it, they have already empowered you with the ability to make it happen. It just looks like you want someone else to do it for you or you want someone to tell people they have to do what you suggest. By moving the tent area as you suggest, that is basically what they would be doing. They would be telling tent campers to go someplace else. They don't need to do that. Tent campers can ALREADY go someplace else if they want.

All they have done is created a little corral for the sheeple that need to be told where their place is. There is no reason you have to remain there.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:WIth the snarl over what I said, however, it sounds like, well, snark... lost my intrest.

Wow, I meant neither snarl, nor snark. I'm sorry you interpreted it as such.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 am

Sorry, what was this about again?

Problem statement: I want to camp where I don't have to look at RVs.

Everything that exists on the playa is there because someone MADE IT HAPPEN. How did they do that? Let's do that as multiple choice
a) Got BMORG to officially sanction and enforce their idea
b) Whined about it on eplaya
c) Just did it

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Ok, how would you go about "Just do"ing it? Kinda late to start for this year, but for next year you could start collecting as many people as you can to your "tents only" camp. I don't know if "tents only" is enough of a theme to get placed, but if you don't get placed you can still start a camp. If it works, more people will want to come. If it doesn't, well, it's not an idea whose time has come. Maybe you go back to the drawing board and improve it. Maybe you try something completely different.

I'm not saying anything new here, just laying it out in more detail.

BTW, hushville? tends to not attract RVs. RV'ers like to run their generators. If you wanted a solution already in place, Hushville is about as good as it gets.

And walk in camping? It may not have been what your friends wanted, but it seems to fill a need for a lot of people. The only people I've talked to who camped out there did it because they love it. I'm pretty sure that most of them feel that way BECAUSE THEY CAMP THERE. If they didn't think it was better than other available options, they'd take one of the other options. Or make their own.

To which point I join the rising chorus:

Do it yourself. Or go home.
User avatar
swampdog
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Bellingham WA
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

One reason walk in camping is where it is, is because .... it is walk in camping. Why force people to walk another mile carrying all their shit?

And you don't have to be a registered, placed, "theme camp". You can be just a bunch of people who camp together in the open camping area. Oh, but you want everyone else to camp there, too, and be told to do it. And you want to use BMORG's authority to keep the RVs out of your "better" camping area. Better for you, maybe, but have you polled the rest of the people in the open camping area to see what they think? They might think that walking another half mile or so to a camping area sucks.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:10 pm

geekster wrote:Ok, you are correct, "demand" was the wrong word. But what you are "proposing" is that BMORG do something that is completely within your power to do yourself. So you sent BMORG a proposal that they do something as if they really don't have much else to do and are sitting around waiting for direction from burners. What you don't seem to be understanding is that if you wish to have a "tent only" area, make one! It is completely within your power to make that reality happen. BMORG is probably not going to respond to your suggestion because they probably feel there is no need to. You can make that suggestion happen yourself.....

Thank you. Well, we shall see if it's really within my power. Time constraints are working against me, and if I do find the time, I actually have another, different idea which I feel is more important that I would devote it to. But seriously, am I asking so much of the LLC other than a re-draw of the map? They re-draw that thing every year anyway. Moreover, I don't see why writing to make a suggestion is such a crime. I have done so with other things in the past, outside of Burning Man, and most people are happy to have polite feedback, even if they disagree, because it means the writer is interested in whatever they are doing. And I almost always get a response, though sometimes it's a form letter. I didn't take the LLC's non-response personally though. Frankly, I would guess it's because they receive a lot of email, and simply don't have the resources to respond to every single one.

geekster wrote:You appear to me to be a manifestation of a generation who has been so conditioned to be powerless and told what to do and have everything planned for them that they don't know how to take the initiative and make their own dreams come true.

I write my congressperson and the president from time to time. Is that a waste of time? Does that make me powerless? I disagree.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Congress and the President are government officials who are subordinate to the people (as much as they hate to be reminded of that). Burning Man is not a democracy. It is not a government. The LLC is not elected by the population. It is a business. There is a huge difference. BMORG is not subordinate to the population. The only vote that counts is your ticket.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
User avatar
geekster
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Hospice For The Terminally Breathing

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:37 pm

swampdog wrote:Problem statement: I want to camp where I don't have to look at RVs.

Please, don't think of my position as anti-RV, but rather, pro-tent city. When I bring up this idea, I get the sense that RVers take offense and assume I am disparaging them. I AM NOT! I want the RVers at Burning Man! I know many of them make valuable contributions to the event, and many of those contributions have far surpassed anything I have done there. When someone proposes an all out RV ban, I am quick to point this out.

swampdog wrote:BTW, hushville? tends to not attract RVs. RV'ers like to run their generators. If you wanted a solution already in place, Hushville is about as good as it gets.

Yes, I get what Hushville is doing, and I think it's great. However, I just don't think I'm a theme camp kind of person. Applying, registering, additional rules and restrictions, it's not really for me. My vision is simply a walk-in type section within the main city: all the autonomy and randomness of the regular areas, minus the vehicles.

swampdog wrote:And walk in camping? It may not have been what your friends wanted, but it seems to fill a need for a lot of people. The only people I've talked to who camped out there did it because they love it. I'm pretty sure that most of them feel that way BECAUSE THEY CAMP THERE. If they didn't think it was better than other available options, they'd take one of the other options. Or make their own.

But for every person out there, I wonder how many more would be in that section were it not on the outskirts? But this idea can be implemented in different ways. For example, keeping some of it on the outskirts, but extending it into the city proper.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby Hoolie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:42 pm

geekster wrote:Congress and the President are government officials who are subordinate to the people (as much as they hate to be reminded of that).

Whoops, it was probably a mistake to sidetrack this into politics. As much as I believe the above was what was intended, I don't believe it's what we have now. But that's a conversation that could really spin off into a long tangent, so I'll leave it at that.
User avatar
Hoolie
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:36 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Hoolie, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'll try to tone down the snark a little.

But seriously, am I asking so much of the LLC other than a re-draw of the map? They re-draw that thing every year anyway.


I think drawing the map is actually a pretty painful process and they try to only introduce changes that have a really good chance of improving the experience for a lot of people. So I think it is a really big deal.

I personally don't like seeing areas that look like nothing but RV's but most of the city is not like that. RVs and tent campers mix in pretty well. (last year a very nice foursome of older RV'ers invited me to join them for their delicious salmon dinner)

I think you're trying to fulfill a whim, not a need. Burden of proof is on you to prove it's a need - such as by making the need visible by building a camp of like-minded individuals.

Moreover, I don't see why writing to make a suggestion is such a crime.


Not a crime, just pointless. (eta: original comment was specifically about writing to BMorg)

Frankly, I would guess it's because they receive a lot of email, and simply don't have the resources to respond to every single one.

Also - they're a bunch of freaks and hippies. If they responded, they'd probably have said the same as we are saying. Or sent you a form letter. Do you really want a form letter?
User avatar
swampdog
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Bellingham WA
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests