Arrive w/no water? well, kinda. Virgin question.

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Arrive w/no water? well, kinda. Virgin question.

Postby pittie full » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 pm

We have a group going out in 2 vehicles. One is an RV that will have large gear, food, and most important the water. It has 2 water tanks in addition to our water jugs. Second car is a smaller hatchback that will have tents, cloths, blankets. The RV with be arriving first to set up, and me and my Fiance will be getting there a bit late as we need to get our tickets @ will-call. (we ended up gifting our pre-bought tickets to our friends so they can be at the playa wedding). Will they let us enter without any water in our vehicle? Will they beleive us when we say we do have water, but its on the RV? Putting water in the car is not a very good idea because of weight issues (its only a KIA for gods sake!), but we don't want to make the RV crew wait on us, and want them to be able to get the rig unloaded ASAP to save on gas. I just want it to go a smooth as possible for me and everyone else!
Candy Mandy (9 virgins and a veteran whore)
pittie full

Postby geekster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:15 pm

This year, due to security concerns, participants are limited to 3oz. of liquids. You will be fine.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Token » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Be sure to have a few gallons with you.

Gate does close during whiteouts. It is common for them to last hours.

A few years back a whiteout lasted over two days. Fortunately it was after the event ended and most had left.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Re: Arrive w/no water? well, kinda. Virgin question.

Postby alt12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm

pittie full wrote:We have a group going out in 2 vehicles. One is an RV that will have large gear, food, and most important the water. It has 2 water tanks in addition to our water jugs. Second car is a smaller hatchback that will have tents, cloths, blankets. The RV with be arriving first to set up, and me and my Fiance will be getting there a bit late as we need to get our tickets @ will-call. (we ended up gifting our pre-bought tickets to our friends so they can be at the playa wedding). Will they let us enter without any water in our vehicle? Will they beleive us when we say we do have water, but its on the RV? Putting water in the car is not a very good idea because of weight issues (its only a KIA for gods sake!), but we don't want to make the RV crew wait on us, and want them to be able to get the rig unloaded ASAP to save on gas. I just want it to go a smooth as possible for me and everyone else!
Candy Mandy (9 virgins and a veteran whore)

no they're not going to stop you....they won't even ask.... bring some water or at least some beer to drink while you wait to meetup with your friends....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Re: Arrive w/no water? well, kinda. Virgin question.

Postby C187 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm

alt12 wrote:no they're not going to stop you....they won't even ask.... bring some water or at least some beer to drink while you wait to meetup with your friends....

Last year BLM was on a tear about open bottles in, around, or on vehicles regardless if they where running. Just say'n..

You should bring a gal or two of water for each person... just in case.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:14 am

geekster wrote:This year, due to security concerns, participants are limited to 3oz. of liquids. You will be fine.

Someone didn't get the ""help first then snark" memo. Seriously, in the Q&A we're striving for real answers before yanking their chains. Pretty please?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 am

ALWAYS have water in your vehicle, as if you break down, you may be out there a while before the tow truck gets there. I throw a 2.5 "suitcase" in everything, along with blankets, candles, etc...

Just sayin' - Don't tempt fate. Fate wins every time.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:08 am

It comes down to this:

If we at Gate notice that you have no water, we might ask, especially if you seem "out of it." While we're generally not there to protect you from not having a good time, we balance that with not trying to make you someone else's problem (ESD, etc).

As others have said, if you show up and have a suitcase 2.5 Gal or a few jugs, it won't add to the weight much. If Gate asks, simply tell them your story and add, but we brought that along in case we broke down or got stuck in line for too long.

Said statement says to us "Hey, I'm not a fuck up. I actually am not saying I know what I'm doing, I'm demonstrating it. Fact is, this responsibility thing I'm demonstrating now probably means I won't end up at medical in my first 6 hours. These aren't the droids you're looking for..."

And so you'll go through.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby justfred » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:22 am

What if the motorhome breaks down, and gets there a day or two after you do? Of course your neighbors might help, but it's great to be radically self-reliant!
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:29 am

Well, the gate crew will ASK you if you have sufficient water but that isn't what they are searching for. They are looking for stowaways. So the gate person will ask as sort of a reminder. It doesn't mean to imply "do you have adequate water in this vehicle right this minute" so much as it means to ask if you have made arrangements for access to sufficient water because there is no public supply of potable water on the playa unless you want to purchase ice and melt it ... which is a perfectly acceptable supply source in an emergency if you have the cash.

And as for info first ... yeah, I didn't get the memo ... where's the fun in that? The answer was so ridiculous, I didn't figure anyone would buy it anyway. Though I did tell someone that once and they believed it for like, half a second.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Listen up! I'm Greeting this year! Anyone that doesn't gift me a cold drink doesn't get in! That is all!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:52 pm

It's like riding bareback. Yee-ha! Live dangerously! :lol:
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:59 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Listen up! I'm Greeting this year! Anyone that doesn't gift me a cold drink doesn't get in! That is all!

Huh. Well since people that arrive at Greeters have already been processed INTO the event, that'll be interesting see how you perform that "art" there buddy....
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:54 am

Shopvac + playa
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:13 am

Fire_Moose wrote:Shopvac + playa

if reversed, gets you an asskicking and anal insertion of said shopvac.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 am

WAit...people don't find that funny?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose