orphans camp? fringee camp? share resources; save camp fees?

orphans camp? fringee camp? share resources; save camp fees?

Postby Vittachitta » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 pm

hello; i'll try this again, with a different tact; my first post got zero replies. it seems like there are going to be PLENTY of people without a pre-arranged camp. reminds me of high school. like, i'm not in the marching band, not a jock, not a cheerleader, not brainy (well, a little, but not brainy enough to have figured out i was going to burning man early enough to be hooked up with a camp....) ANYWAY.

SINCE they are setting aside some unreal estate for the general public, it is possible to meet up and do a spontaneous community camp. i don't know if it's too late to register a camp (haven't read alllllll the info yet), but there are plenty of rogue camps, i hear.

anyone wanting to share resources--i am driving from the pacific northwest, so can bring a stove, some basic cooking gear, a small shade structure, a solar shower and something to make an evaporation pond for it (if we go easy on the actual shower part, and just use it for washin' up), and have plans for sharing chai with whomever every morning, and supply and cook at least one big shareable dinner. i will also have my own tent, water, etc. i have a goal of being a bit of a minimalist, and ALSO, having paid the highest price for my ticket, don't savor the idea of paying more ben franklins for camping in convenience. this is not about convenience for me; it's about making survival fun! making fun in the desert! meeting world travelers at blackrock city!

you can reply here, email me at rushingdlATgmail.com or skype me: rushingdl if you just want to see my humanoid visage you can look me up on facebook by the email addie.

cheerio!
vittachitta
looking for friends and experiences that inspire and teach
Vittachitta

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:35 pm

There's other soloists looking for camps, perhaps contact them and see if they want to pool resources? Call it Stone Soup Camp. (There was only water and a stone, but everyone added a little ingredient and they made wonderful soup).
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

yeah i remember that story

Postby Vittachitta » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:24 pm

stone soup, of course ;)
Vittachitta

Postby gaminwench » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:10 am

Stag Camp started out this way, 'lonely' campers banding together on eplaya, a couple of years ago. They're still going strong...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am

I wouldn't call them rogue camps. I think there are quite legitemate reasons to not want to register with the llc, as well as there being benifits to registering.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

oh!

Postby Vittachitta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:44 am

i meant that in a good way, "rogue" sounds so...so roguish
Vittachitta

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:50 am

Vitta, what day are you planning on arriving? I am going out on Monday with 4 others. We are doing our own thing but you sound like you would be a great neighbor...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

still working it out

Postby Vittachitta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:33 pm

but i think on the 30th.
things are bubbling like a stone soup!
Vittachitta

cool neighbor

Postby Vittachitta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 pm

oh, and i can be a very good neighbor. i have lots of creative inspiration for bringing to burning man!
Vittachitta

Will be in Seattle on 28th and seeking rogue camp too....

Postby RachelinBoston » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Hiya... So, I'm meeting up with a newbie (it's my 2nd time) in Reno and was thinking I'd have to fly into Reno from Seattle (which is just where I happen to be traveling on the 27-8th, I'm actually east coast.) Are you looking for rogue travelers for ride-sharing too? I might be up for the drive depending on when you are heading out. I'm an excellent driver and pretty good company, and willing to share in gas etc.

And camping... we haven't decided on anything and would be fine going it sort-of on our own, except that carrying loads of water/food/bikes into burning man on a ride-share seems unrealistic. Do you have space in the vehicle to add more stuff if you gain more peeps for communal camping/kitchen/grey water evap? Sharing resources is great - if I can get enough stuff out there to share!

-rachel
RachelinBoston

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm

I suppose it depends on the rideshare. You could decide to walk/hitchhike on art cars (probably a better bet if your attractive young and female/use the green (yellow) bikes and take the burden off that. 6 suitcases of water, a tent, food, changes of under wear and socks and you'd be golden. Well, maybe more like brass, but a long way from a lump of coal in the stocking...
You might have better luck spliting with two different rideshares, but then the logisitical issue would be how to find each other.
If one of you got a ride with a placed themecamp, you could meet there, I suppose.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Lets make camp

Postby medicine woman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi
Three Pacific Northwestern women with lots of gear and skills coming to enjoy the benefits of the harsh black sand. We are Shaman healers and have lots of good Karma...lol We'll be happy to camp nearby to create a safe and friendly environment.
:D
Dancing joyously on the waves of Oneness,
Verishnutvi Medicine Woman
medicine woman

checking in

Postby Vittachitta » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 pm

hello fellow random people, wondering about wandering in the desert sans camp,

so now i have a firmed up ride to burning man. i won't get a chance to talk to him in depth until next week, but i do know i'll be able to bring what i need easily because he has a trailer, too (and probably lots of stuff). if anyone still needs a ride from Bellingham, WA, he has room right now for a rider or two.

here are the issues i've heard so far re: spontaneous camp--
how to find each other
how to get our shit together in one place (since some will not have cars)
figuring out where to camp

i may be incommunicado on internet from friday 28 july til aug 4, but when i get back i will check in and see who is still up for spontaneity out of necessity :)

cheers,
vitta
Vittachitta

Postby rana » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:58 am

I am interested to see where this goes, as I am having trouble finding a good camp with shower/meals where their info is easily available without emailing and waiting. My biggest concern would be finding everyone
rana

Re: Lets make camp

Postby Boijoy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:59 am

medicine woman wrote:Hi
Three Pacific Northwestern women with lots of gear and skills coming to enjoy the benefits of the harsh black sand. We are Shaman healers and have lots of good Karma...lol We'll be happy to camp nearby to create a safe and friendly environment.
:D

Wheres the black sand??
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Location and finding one another

Postby RachelinBoston » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 am

We just need to agree on a general location and a symbol. There is unreserved camping around 3 outlying plazas this year, at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock at Jakarta. So, I'd vote for one of those, leaning toward 6. Whoever is arriving on the early side could horde a bit of land for the group and set out a sign/symbol which we agree on.

ta-da! orphan camp is situated.

maybe the symbol should be to fly a little orphan annie dress as a flag.

I'm trying to arrive on Sunday or Monday.... Happy to look for a dress...
RachelinBoston

sand -playa

Postby medicine woman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 am

it was a figure of speech you know from playa to sand. enough said thanks for noticing
Dancing joyously on the waves of Oneness,
Verishnutvi Medicine Woman
medicine woman

Postby Token » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:45 am

Waaaaaaaay too much estrogen ladies.

You need someone with a missing chromosome branch in the group.

XY
Token

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Oh, one will eventually wander by.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

who's your daddy?

Postby Vittachitta » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:06 pm

how the hell would i know; i'm an orphan!

Y chromosome bearers welcome

as long as they're into meeting up where self reliance meets sharing.

orphan annie dress flyin'? orphan annie face flag? (adapted from the original comic?) i could do a big batik flag--will probably be there early-ish, but love the idea of someone who's already burned zeroing in on the best unreal estate for our endeavor.

i think some people i have been talking to are on other threads, i will try to collect us and send a message before i go offline for a week.

how about a giant orphan annie face but in psychedelic colors (iconic hair, weird eyes, dress collar top) and maybe xx xy and xyz at the bottom?

vitta
Vittachitta

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Once you have one person to hold the camp, send another person down to Center Camp to put your camp location into PLaya Info.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

thanks

Postby Vittachitta » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:37 pm

you are so practical!

i wish we all had walkie talkies ahead of time, since we're all coming for wherever however and have to find each other!

if my friend i am riding with knows where he's camping, i can at least let people know where i'm landing.
Vittachitta

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:43 am

A lot of people are using walkie talkies. You want to agree on a band, or bands ahead of time and a time (every two hours on teh even hour , or whatever) to use it and have a back up.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:16 am

Choose an address, make a large flag for the 1st person in to plant,share pix of flag, publish address, collect rough number of campers.
First on playa, plant flag, mark off area (caution tape?) for all campers, enter info at playa info, (both board and computer).
Set up, meet newbies, have a great week...
MOOP like crazy, return to default.
Rinse (with vinegar/water) and repeat...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

I could join you...

Postby Jup!t3r » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:00 pm

aging hippie, have tent, truck, shade, tools, don't eat much. foton, cushions, rugs, and bike.(need to search my neighbors dump for bike basket. he's a horder, but has ten acres to put all his stuff on.)
can cook for others, again I dont eat much and don't care much about it. have sun shower, and buckets galore. some with lids.
Will gift empathic listening, or at least the illusion of it, to anyone who needs some. Other than that looking to shed some of my own self importance, and find some insights what ever and however generated....
Jup!t3r

Return to 2010 Theme Camps