Missed the webcast from overloaded server or?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Missed the webcast from overloaded server or?

Postby seaquesta » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:44 pm

Long story made short. This whole thing is so kewl I have told hundreds of other sailors about it. But the system or something gets so jammed up it forbids us from seeing the burn.
Now, I saw a newscast about this a bunch of years ago. "Kewl", I said, "I'm in!" But, a cruising life of a sailor departing to ports long from the Playa in the high desert is all consuming.
And dag nabit, I missed the second one in a row and it just bumbs me out to have to retire to my bunk after fighting with the computer to give me the connection that will show the burn. It was like 11:00 PM here when the parading got underway. It seems as though the server(s) you had set up were filled well before the burn. I was on but, when I reloaded because it looked as if it had stopped...I was not able to regain the picture. And it wasn't a problem on my end!
Now, what don't I need here on the boat that I can burn? Something important, something I can get some feeling out of?
So, is there a way I can see it?
BobK
http://www.worldmarine-ltd.com/images03/webcast230.jpg
Nihil Humanum Est Alienum Mihi!
Nothing Human Is Foreign To Me!
seaquesta

Burn Party in Eugene gone bad :(

Postby etnmarchand » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:53 pm

I too had planned a bunch of stuff around the web cast. Last year I watched it on line and wished there was someone here to share it with. This year I invited a bunch of friends over and I couldn't get a stream until after he'd burned :cry: (I have a broadband connection too!) Everyone was disappointed... so we made our own man and burnt him in the front lawn (the police didn't like that too much... LOL)

I hope to make it next year and see it in person.

Steve
etnmarchand

Postby liebling » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:49 pm

my sister and my best friend couldnt make it to the playa this year and sat around the computer for 5 hours waiting (they were trying to catch a glimpse of me, lol) but they kept getting kicked off and finally gave up trying to connect at 9:20, only 20 minutes before the burn! is it available to view somewhere? i wouldnt mind watching it again myself.

burn on, baby

gael
we are becoming who we are
liebling

Reno Gazette-Journal has video

Postby Peace_Tolero » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:26 am

The Burningman page on the Reno Gazette-Journal website has links to several videos. That's how I watched it here in the toenail fungus of America. 3150 miles from the Playa.
Peace_Tolero

thanks for the links!

Postby LadyC » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:04 pm

glad i wasn't the only one missing out on both the event and webcast...too bad it would've been my 4th burn but with the time zone difference i don't think i would have catched it on time anyway.
"il me semble que je serais toujours bien la òu je ne suis pas..."
LadyC

Count me out too...(o)

Postby lawcat420 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:43 pm

Hey I was on but right when it counted I was off..I watched other days too, and all I can say is thanks to all who ran the Cam. Even the gent who was seen cleaning the cam too..very cool way to see the fun... 8)
lawcat420

Postby seaquesta » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:13 pm

Hey thanks Peace_T that was just what the mind needed. A bit of the burn from this side.
Nihil Humanum Est Alienum Mihi!
Nothing Human Is Foreign To Me!
seaquesta

From The Beach on the East Sea

Postby fvishgutzs » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:40 am

I tuned into the Webcast from Samcheok South Korea, at the edge of the East Sea. I watched a carousel with people on swings rotate around, and I heard the Submarine go "ping," my favorite from last year. The memories which flooded in were so unbarably wonderful and sad, missing the burn this year presented itself to me with madness, longing, and anticipation. I set my watch (accomodating to the time zone) for the temple burn, and as it beeped, was on a ship to Ullung Island, half way out to Japan.

8)
fvishgutzs

Postby DancesWithElves » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:48 am

On behalf of the crew of the PlayaGround (The artcar with swings), I send greetings to you in South Korea! We had a blast letting people play on the swings - glad you got to see it in action! Oh, and the ping is one of my favorite memories from last year as well - I would wake up in the morning and hear it going by, and it was such a nice little bit of peaceful surrealism!

Hope we see you next year on the playa!
-DWE
She who must be obeyed
DancesWithElves

Burning Since: 2001

Postby precipitate » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:09 pm

> so we made our own man and burnt him in the front lawn

Now wasn't that better than sitting around watching TV anyway? Just because you're not at the event doesn't mean you have to be passive in your life. Go do cool shit.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Return to Politics & Philosophy