Miss Giggle Monster

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm

I have never been a newbie
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Technically, Miss Giggle Monster is in violation of Burning Man's trademark by labeling a category of her website "Burning Man Costumes" and technically, making money off the Burning Man name.

http://www.burningman.com/press/trademarks_faq.html

The Org (which is legally obligated to defend their trademark or risk losing it to widespread use by everybody, including crap corporations and whoever) suggest merchants use "playa" or "desert", which is what most enterprising merchants do for their sales or auctions.

I suspect she doesn't know. It's a bit of a moral quandary; as she's probably not making money hand over fist, but one does have to defend a trademark or lose it.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Frankenstipe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm

[quote="C.f.M."]I was a newbie around this time last year...I got nothing but love from post one.[/quote]

Ditto for the sentiment and being a newbie this time last year, although it may seem like I'm being rude I'm just trying to help, sorry if it seemed like otherwise. :(
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.
Frankenstipe

Postby kitkatseattle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for those of you that are trying to be helpful. Was not trying to create a hornet's nest, just trying to share my happiness and excitement about getting ready for something new. I am going to make this experience what I want it to be, so to all the pre-conceived notions out there, you can direct those elsewhere. That includes whether I buy or make my clothing.
kitkatseattle

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:40 pm

kitkatseattle wrote:Wow, wasn't everyone a newbie once? Show some love.

For eplaya, this is love. THE playa is totally different. Fishy explained it well. LOL, when I was a newbie, I wasn't on eplaya. Just as well, these days it is so much nicer. Really, it used to be awful.

I'm a mod here, believe me, I looked over the post and link carefully. I delete spam daily, so it is my volunteer position to look for it year round here. I didn't think it was spam so it stayed. She does make nice things, but yes, they are pricey.

See? You already have one thing on your list for next year: learn to sew. You can tell a true burner by the plans they make for the next year when this year hasn't even begun yet.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby kitkatseattle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 pm

I have actually already sewed two skirts and a top, and have more material to make more clothes. I am having a lot of fun with the satisfaction of making my own stuff, especially since I haven't sewed since 7th grade when we learned to sew on buttons in home ec! And needless to say, they will all be unique combos!
kitkatseattle

Postby Orchid » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 pm

kitkatseattle wrote:I have actually already sewed two skirts and a top, and have more material to make more clothes. I am having a lot of fun with the satisfaction of making my own stuff, especially since I haven't sewed since 7th grade when we learned to sew on buttons in home ec! And needless to say, they will all be unique combos!

Excellent!
If you haven't already, check out the Costume & Crafting thread here in Q&A:
viewtopic.php?t=34307
Orchid

Postby kitkatseattle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks Orchid! I already see a lot of things that interest me on the costume forum!
kitkatseattle

Postby bluesbob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:48 am

I'm a newbie also.

Wear whatever you want and have fun. Watch out for MOOP.

And bring lots of fucking glow sticks.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby kitkatseattle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks Bob! I am having a great time with the costuming. I have been going to all the local parties in Seattle with my Burner friends for a few years, so I have some idea of what I like and what I want to wear.

The lighting aspect of things I have not really worked on yet, but I know it's important.

Have fun with it Bob, it sounds like you already are!
kitkatseattle

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear