Staying energized during the day?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Pedialyte will do wonders for even the most stubborn of hang-overs, trust me on this one.... one third to half a bottle upon waking and shassam!! you're right back in the game again.. :D

edit: you can google this one, it's for real
Jackass

Postby geekster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Yeah, I have heard people rave about that coconut water stuff. But MAN, it's NASTY. I would rather drink goat piss.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Token » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Jackass wrote:Pedialyte will do wonders for even the most stubborn of hang-overs, trust me on this one.... one third to half a bottle upon waking and shassam!! you're right back in the game again.. :D

How does it taste in a vodka mix?
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Token wrote:
Jackass wrote:Pedialyte will do wonders for even the most stubborn of hang-overs, trust me on this one.... one third to half a bottle upon waking and shassam!! you're right back in the game again.. :D

How does it taste in a vodka mix?

Probably pretty damn good now that you mention it. It got a rich, slightly salty kool aid kinda flavor to it..not bad at all really.
Picked this one up in mexico a few years back, they had them in coolers right by the register. Everybody was doing it!!
This stuff ain't cheap but to get rid of or avoid a vicious hangover it's priceless. Try it out the next time you really tie one on, I'm betting you'll thank me :D
See...I'm already gifting and it's not even august yet
Jackass

Postby Token » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:47 pm

I'll try it tomorrow.

Usually I'm drunk by noon and hung over by 4 pm. ;)
Token

Postby Joe Buck » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 pm

I have had great results with this stuff http://www.nuun.com/index.php, probably close to the composition of electrolytes in pedialyte, but with vitamin B and C I think, no sugar and no carbohydrate. Gatorade is pretty much table salt and sugar, not the best thing. This stuff works wonders whether I went for a 5 hour bike ride in the heat or stayed up drinking too late! Easy to prepare, just drop a tablet in your water bottle/glass/hydration pack and there it is. Have not tried it as a mixer; hmmm, maybe with absinthe...

Sodium replacement alone is not enough, and if you drink more water than you need (a common problem) you can suffer from border-line hyponatremia (dilution of body electrolyte levels) which is going to make you feel lethargic, and is potentially dangerous in more extreme cases.
Joe Buck

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Attaboy, now that's the ticket...any other takers??

I'd go with grape or cherry, orange not so much
Jackass

Postby Jackass » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:14 am

While we're at it, I also swear by those tasty but nutritionally deficient jack n box tacos. Four of those with lots o hot sauce before you pass out will do wonders. Hmmm, betting those would go well with a little playa too...
Jackass

Postby gyre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:16 am

I can't imagine how the hell you drink too much water on the playa.

On a really dry year, I feel like I never catch up at all, until I leave.

Used to have a really hot job and we would drink gallons at lunch.

One summer with a broken ac, I discovered the hard way that you eventually get cleaner if you sweat enough and towel off.
That's with over 100 degrees and enough water.
Not useful info, I know.

We've had 8 die here so far from heat.
The two this week were not elderly.

Be careful.
Experienced burners ended up in medical last year.
gyre

Re: Staying energized during the day?

Postby dust devil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 am

You are not a wimp. The following comments reflect playa experience going back to 1996.

1. Bring a box of EmergenC. (There's a cheaper house brand equivalent at Rite Aid.) Add a packet to water and sip slowly, twice a day. The extra electrolytes and the vitamins do the magic.

2. Bring a dozen hard-boiled eggs in a cooler, and a couple of packets of instant miso soup. By day, salt on the cold boiled eggs and eat 'em as is; in the evening heat some water, add a packet of miso soup, throw in more chopped boiled eggs, and drink. The protein and the salt help a lot.

3. Drape Aluminet or shade cloth over your dome and anchor it. In high winds you may have to un-lash one stake and peel the shade cover off the dome, since it increases wind loading, but when in place it will drop the temperature in that dome by ten degrees at noon.

4. Go not forth from thy shade structure without thy hat.

5. Wear diaphanous and light-colored stuff.

6. Gyre is right about the altitude. If you live at sea level 4000 feet of elevation will kick your ass for a couple of days no matter what you do. Just be patient with yourself -- there's a whole week.

Have fun!
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness.
dust devil

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:15 am

Ugh. This thread is bringing back flashbacks of how I felt last year...about an hour after getting into camp I started vomiting. And did not stop. I honestly thought I was going to have to leave, because it wouldn't stop.

Apparently, altitude can have that effect.

I forgot electrolytes, too. I'm taking Vitalyte this year, it came highly recommended.

I had a lot of coconut water, which I liked but can't drink now because I drank so much of it out there. And I hated all the food I took, ha ha! Well, it wasn't really funny, but...

The heat didn't bother me.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby C187 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 am

Since no one has said it yet, B-6, B-12 work well in conjecture with everything else listed.

As for energized on the playa, what works for me is sleeping into the afternoon. Drinking some electrolyte juice, then it's equivalent volume in water after rolling out of bed. Not to long after that is the morning red bull and cig. Then any caffeine I may need, along with some more water.

Chips and salsa are wonderful to munch on; so is seaweed and peanut butter. When it's really hot out, eat something hot, and spicy.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:01 am

A fan. I slept till 11 or noon easily with a little fan breezin' on me.

But again, I'm used to camping in heat.
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 am

C.f.M. wrote:Ugh. This thread is bringing back flashbacks of how I felt last year...about an hour after getting into camp I started vomiting. And did not stop. I honestly thought I was going to have to leave, because it wouldn't stop.

I forgot electrolytes, too. I'm taking Vitalyte this year, it came highly recommended.

I had a lot of coconut water, which I liked but can't drink now because I drank so much of it out there. And I hated all the food I took, ha ha! Well, it wasn't really funny, but...

Vomiting is a sign of dehydration. And if you vomit, you'll be even more dehydrated. Get thee to the med tent and have a bag or two of saline. As said in Animal House, "Don't cost nothing".
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 am

I just snorted a buncha meth whenever i got tired...or hot...or thirsty...but YMMV
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 am

AntiM wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:Ugh. This thread is bringing back flashbacks of how I felt last year...about an hour after getting into camp I started vomiting. And did not stop. I honestly thought I was going to have to leave, because it wouldn't stop.

Vomiting is a sign of dehydration. And if you vomit, you'll be even more dehydrated. Get thee to the med tent and have a bag or two of saline. As said in Animal House, "Don't cost nothing".

I wasn't dehydrated. I'm never dehydrated...I piss invisible, I drink so much water on a regular basis (not just there). I got the habit years ago, in Africa...I asked my friends @ going to the med tent, they fed me some miso and peanuts and I survived. Another friend said he usually gets sick shortly after arriving as well.
C.f.M.

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 am

V-8 juice....ice cold! Unless your allergic to tomatoes.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 am

Different circumstances, different people, yeah, I get that. We had a guy in our camp who was being foolish with hydration all week and that was his symptom toward the end ... any liquid came right back up and he wasn't eating. We forced him to go to the med tent, because he was getting lethargic.

So for newbs.... when in doubt?

Also, we think he was doing E nightly, and we knew he was taking ephedra tablets for energy during the day. Duh. Oh, no hat, no water bottle, and heavy satin and velvet club clothes all the time. We were new ourselves and didn't see him most of the week, so didn't watch him properly like we would do now. He could have died, so I'm a little enthusiastic on the subject.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:45 am

Wow, he sounds like a dumbass.

I barely even drank, just to ensure proper hydration.

And I love drinking!

One night I found a guy barefoot in open playa, jeans and a t-shirt (as in, that's all he had on him. No water. No light. No NOTHING.), no idea where he was camped or where his friends where.

The fucking, abject idiocy of some of the people out there is astounding (and bothered me greatly).
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:50 am

Ours was extremely educated, literate, and intelligent. Not a lick of sense. The too smart for their own good type.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 am

C.f.M. wrote:Wow, he sounds like a dumbass.

I barely even drank, just to ensure proper hydration.

And I love drinking!

One night I found a guy barefoot in open playa, jeans and a t-shirt (as in, that's all he had on him. No water. No light. No NOTHING.), no idea where he was camped or where his friends where.

The fucking, abject idiocy of some of the people out there is astounding (and bothered me greatly).

ya wanna see something:

I worked perimeter last year, 6 am to noon.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:55 am

Ja, my friend loves doing perimeter in the middle of the night...and not just for that bad-ass hoodies.
C.f.M.

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:24 am

C.f.M. wrote:

We had a guy like this stumble into our camp...except his shirt was all ripped up and he had a fresh black eye...we fed and watered him, then he floated off to go find his car keys...(we where not at all worried about him finding keys or a car for that matter since he thought he was in center camp when he was really on J, and he didn't want to go to medical)
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:35 am

he had a fresh black eye

Ok, good. It was kinda dark when I swung...
C.f.M.

Postby geekster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 am

We had a guy appear in our camp at the end of 2007... well, actually he was brought to us by a Black Rock ranger friend of ours who asked us to babysit him for a bit while we were tearing down. He had no idea where his camp/car was and looked like he was totally tripping balls. I think the idea was wait until enough people left and it should be easier to find his car.

Babysitting him was fairly easy because it looked like he really just wanted to sit there and watch the colors go. He had no shoes, not much in the way of clothing, no food, no water, no pack, no ride, and was totally fucking wasted.

I think it turned out that he was supposed to get a ride with some other people but he had wandered out of camp, they waited half a day for him, then left because they had to get back for work or something stranding him there. No idea what ever happened to the guy, our ranger friend came back and collected him after a couple of hours and I hadn't thought to ask him about it until just now. No body has turned up so I imagine he made it back to civilization someplace.

There's some really interesting cases out there. One could probably make an academic career out there just studying various forms of asshattery.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby teardropper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:48 am

Bananas are a great source of potassium. Wonder how long a banana would keep?...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 am

Great Leap Sideways:
Would those cooling bandana things help?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Staying energized during the day?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 am

dust devil wrote:2. Bring a dozen hard-boiled eggs in a cooler, and a couple of packets of instant miso soup. By day, salt on the cold boiled eggs and eat 'em as is; in the evening heat some water, add a packet of miso soup, throw in more chopped boiled eggs, and drink. The protein and the salt help a lot.

Yum! Gotta try that.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:22 am

teardropper wrote:Bananas are a great source of potassium. Wonder how long a banana would keep?...

Dried, that's how.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 am

teardropper wrote:Bananas are a great source of potassium. Wonder how long a banana would keep?...

Half a week.
Longer really, they just get smaller.
Those retention bags for them might help.

Worth noting, I caught the flu out there last year, and doubtless many others did too.
Swine flu, I think.
That may be why so many passed out or got sick for no apparent reason.
I was dragging all week.
I thought it was exhaustion.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink