Are Undercover Cops Asking to Join Your Camp??

two cents worth

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:49 am

i think the larger theme camps with a large public exposure should remind ALL camp members that giving alcoholic beverages to a minor is a crime in all states.

DONT DO IT!

ask for ID, if they cant show it, and are at all questionable as far as age, DONT DO IT!

i dont care How cute she or he is...

so, if you want to avoid what i think is going to be the major thrust of "Operations" than be aware that whatever you do in the open, will most likely be seen, and if you think you are being set up, follow the rules, be polite yet firm, and you wont get any pies in your face from the clowns with flat feet.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Frankenstipe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 am

I was an undercover cop once, yeah but then they made me leave the Doughnut shop because I was constantly trying to arrest people for doing cocaine after they ate a powdered doughnut.
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.
Frankenstipe

Postby jkisha » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am

Damn it! Now I've got one more thing to worry about. :(

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Look at their shoes, you dirty stinking hippy. You can always tell cops by their shoes.

Wrong. Undercovers don't wear regular pig shoes. Shit, i've seen undercovers naked, wearing body paint, looking like hippies, looking like ravers and looking like a frat boy.

Back 10 years ago your thought applied but not anymore.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Shambala wrote:Keep in mind that these police come in from all over the state and from various departments. Most that are working the rural areas are bored senseless all year and look forward to Burning Man with flappable glee!

This does NOT include BLM Rangers. BLM rangers come from all over the western US from California to Washington to Colorado. At least 5 states send BLM rangers to patrol BRC.

Be afraid of BLM rangers over ANY local officer. I'd rather deal with a local cop instead of a FEDERAL RANGER !!

Most BLM rangers ride ATV's and use pick up trucks on the Playa. They are at ALL MAJOR RAVE CAMPS walking through waiting for someone to look suspicious and ready to pounce on them. I've seen a dude tackled and questioned for looking into a backpack....LOOKING INTO THEIR OWN FUCKING BACKPACK !!! The rangers didn't find anything and let him go. How nice of them. If you look shady or suspicious, you will be watched at some point during your time at Burning Man.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Someone I know was pounced upon by law enforcement for momentarily sharing a chapstick with a friend. I guess it looked like mind-altering, psychedelic Bonne Bell Lip Smacker. Trance flavor. :lol:

If I put on lip balm at a rave, you can be damn sure I'm going to hold it aloft like Simba the Lion King for ultimately visibility & make some amazing, slow, sweeping gestures first. My performances will appear in the What/When/Where guide: "Savannah Puts on Lip Balm", under "Reoccurring Events", Mon-Sun (hourly). Not to be missed.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:49 pm

...as readily as "they" seem to act, it would seem possible to set-up a Civil Rights Violation sting and nail those bastards at their own game...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 am

ya but it seems most people are too busy having fun to stop that and bait cops...Jus' Sayin'
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 am

What a cool idea for a theme camp - Roving Cop Bait Camp.

On to serious other subjects...

I have met undercover cops out there. They look like... um... burners. do NOT go by looks - ever. One I knew from interactions on an official level (BRC stuff - I was a dispatcher, he walked in to the dispatch office to get some paperwork, I threw himi a cocacola...) hit me up 4 days later when I was in burner garb (rather than the llc garb he saw me in earlier that week) and asked if I knew where he could score some "smoke". I offered a cig, he said, "No, you know... SMOKE.

I thought he was crazy. Then I realized - he don't recognize me. heh heh heh...

I told the nice officer, er, burner "No, But I know where you can get coke". His eyes lit up, he says "Where?", I say "Back at Dispatch, I keep a few cold ones in the fridge... like 4 days ago, remember???"

He turned beet red, mumbled soemthing, and left. RTF now left. Never saw him again. But honest... had I not known he was UC, I would never, NEVER had guessed.

Just remember - Don't do ILLEGAL SHIT in public. Don't fall for a stranger's plea, as likely they are persona Burnera non-legitima Politziskeya. And even if they're not... is it worth getting a tour of the Lovelock Graybar Bunk-and-Breakfast? Nyet here...

In our kamp, I see someone "blowing it" in public I will tell them to take it elsewhere. I see it in my Kantina, they WILL get the "la vista" treatment And yeah, one year my dome became a crashpad for a group of unknowns while I was doing a playa tour, and someone loaded up my tobacco hooka with non-shista (was a SOB to clean out) - I came back to the sweet smell of you-know, and a dozen strangers making themselves quite at home in my digs. I was not amused - and neither were they by the time I was done evicting their asses...

I got called all kinds of shit on that one... but I refuse to let someone ruin my day, or my burn, by being flat stupid.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Sail Man » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 am

ygmir wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Look at their shoes, you dirty stinking hippy. You can always tell cops by their shoes.

see, Dougly, I'd think you'd go for some sort of olfactory testing and, verification.......

He can't. After a millennium of Barbarians smelling the way they do, their olfactory nerves have become shorted out from all the offensive odor's. Instead they do the "finger swipe and lick test" to check on someone's authenticity. :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:51 pm

No, no they're not.

I guess I'm not camping with the cool kids.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Boijoy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No, no they're not.

shhhhh me's thinkin fishy might be one of em'... :shock:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:16 pm

Boijoy wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:No, no they're not.

shhhhh me's thinkin fishy might be one of em'... :shock:

*lifts blanket*
nope, she doesn't seem to be.....

under covers........hahahaaha
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ace of Kittens » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Going back to the original post, I actually have had this experience too. I had about 2 or 3 nearly identical emails from strangers go to the contact email for our camp LAST year (so, they were going off the 2009 Theme camp list). The emails were more or less identical, saying things like: "This is my first year going, what can I do to camp with you?"

I wrote back politely to each one saying they were using the contact email for 2009 and should direct their queries to the contact email for 2010, and they never did.

It was weird... So you think it was Undercover Cops?
Ace of Kittens

Postby Jackass » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm

May or may not be, but always a possibility.
Jackass

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, given the level of cluelessness and laziness displayed by all too many newbs, it could have been total face value and they sent some to other camps at the same time and got places at camps where they didn't have to work too hard and write a second email.

Don't mind me. I'm bitter and resentful. I'll go find a corner and get drunk so I can be bitter, resentful, drunk and belligerent.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 pm

FISHY?
I have always seen you on that 4 wheel ATV thingy of yours. You have that suspicious look about you. Are you sure you're not an undercover cop? You can tell me--I can keep a secret! :roll:
Sham

Postby Ace of Kittens » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 pm

That's also possible... it was just somewhat weird to receive these nearly identical emails from supposedly different emails/people. Felt a bit like some sort of internet scam. *shrug* Who knows.
Ace of Kittens

Postby geospyder » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 pm

I spent the whole day with cops from all over the US - from locals to Connecticut – funny thing – I didn’t see any of them under cover :roll:
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:08 am

...I think that's the point...
Fire_Moose

Postby geospyder » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:50 am

Fire_Moose wrote:...I think that's the point...

Good one :D

On the serious side I was volunteering at the merchandise booth for the Western States Police and Fire Games yesterday. It was interesting trying to determine which were cops, which were fire, which were family and which were just plain civilians - specially the women.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:30 am

speaking of women Narcs, i'll share my experience from 2008. the girl pictured here:

showed up at our camp alone and was very friendly. after 10 minutes or so she asked if we had any ecstasy to sell her. we said no and she kept on asking explicitly for it over and over again. someone asked her how much she needed and she said "a ton, enough for all my camp." this sounded way weird and sent off an alarm for me. it was our first year and i told her that we thought there was no selling of anything at BM and she shrugged it off. eventually she left asking to let her know if we found some for her. i cant say for sure that she was a cop but if she was, i'm sure she did very well out there.
Homiesinheaven

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 am

Whoopi's a cop?!?!?!!?

Say it ain't so!
Fire_Moose

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:49 am

Oh hell...

WHOOPIE'S A NARC???

I'm crushed.

About tall, blonde, and wired?

Looking at my magic 8 ball... ( >shake shake shake... flip< )

"My sources say yes".

I hate to say it, but she looks way to clean. Of course the ballistic Buttpak and semi-regulation wristwatch may have something to do with it too.

If I may euclidaqte...

IF SOME STRANGER ASKS FOR DRUGS, JUST THE ***k SAY NO!!!

Her "line" was so much what Undercovers do, that if she wasn't, I'd be surprised.

By the way - UNLESS you are on tight and solid ground, NEVER engage someone like that. By asking "how much" she needed, that gets them watching your friend *and* your camp. Ever hear my "Coke" story?

I don't even take gifted drugs. No way. Oh jeez no way - not with the current lynch-mob mentality that LE has had the past few years...

So forgive me if I cound like a Nancy, but to quite my magic 8 ball again, just say...

( >shake shake shake... flip< )

"Concentrate and ask again."

HUH??

( > shake shake shake... shake shake... flip < )

"Better not tell you now."

%#$%&^%@%!!!!!

( >shake shake shake shake shake BANG BANG WHACK bounce BAM... flip< )

"GET THE FRACK OUTTA MY CAMP".

Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:speaking of women Narcs, i'll share my experience from 2008. the girl pictured here:

showed up at our camp alone and was very friendly. after 10 minutes or so she asked if we had any ecstasy to sell her. we said no and she kept on asking explicitly for it over and over again. someone asked her how much she needed and she said "a ton, enough for all my camp." this sounded way weird and sent off an alarm for me. it was our first year and i told her that we thought there was no selling of anything at BM and she shrugged it off. eventually she left asking to let her know if we found some for her. i cant say for sure that she was a cop but if she was, i'm sure she did very well out there.

They all look clean...look at that BRIGHT red bandanna...
Fire_Moose

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm

we were all clean, i think this was the first day. i can only vouch for the dudes and Whoopi. how DARE you call her a narc?!

Homiesinheaven

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:04 pm

i vote cop...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Boijoy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 pm

yup. her arms are all tan & her legs aren't . cop.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby B. Rad » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Strangers must be killed and eaten
B. Rad

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:07 pm

does this some how correlate to all the bacon references on eplaya or the love of bacon on the playa?
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Theme Camps