Yak suits

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby EmilyD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 pm

bm_cricket wrote:

That's pretty cool. I especially like the giant fluff-balls.

Yeah Nick Cave's artwork is pretty crazy wonderful. It's cool that he has the same name as the musician too.
EmilyD

Postby kman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

ygmir wrote:just sayin'........

I see that and raise you a real burner:

(not me, ftr, but a good buddy)
kman

Postby Skyote » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:14 am

I would definitely try the fashion district if you're nearby and see if you can't stumble across a roll of something promising that you could get down to a good price. The closest online products are Distinctive Fabrics' extra long pile (which you saw), and CRs Crafts sells a "palomino fox" that has a 2 1/4" pile. That same fur is also available in white. It's manufactured by Monterey Mills, and you can buy in (serious) bulk from them, though I'm pretty sure for custom runs you have to buy 300 yds. Don't know what other colors of that long fur are available, and it's not all that soft. There are other manufacturers of really high-quality faux fur meant to mimic the real thing, but it's $50/yd and up and very long pile is still rare...

Another option--and perhaps I should say "option" because it's absolutely not feasible for your purposes unless you have a solid gold kidney to sell--is National Fiber Technologies. They make stuff for movies, and they actually carry faux yak fur. It's $40 per square foot. :D

You could always do most of the suit in a shorter (less expensive) fur--even a super cheap fun fur (<$15/yd) and then do neck, belly, or feet fluff in the fancy stuff.

Good luck!
Skyote

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 pm

snake wrote:get some of that brown fake fur. and then rip it into one inch strips. adhere to costume with either thread or hot glue.

Don't use hot glue. Very good chance it will melt in the heat. Sewing or something like Sobo will work much better.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 am

We used a pair made of long string in a play once.
Very creepy.

Kits
http://www.ghilliesuits.com/customkits.aspx
gyre

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:14 am

A Project Runway contestant used human hair in his fashion week show.

He lost.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby kman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:34 am

c.f.m.'s post > gyre's post

(in the creepy category, that is LOL)
kman

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear