Shelter question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Shelter question

Postby shroom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 am

My friend & I have 2 tents and a 3 legged structure to sit under. We are planning on attaching a canvas tarp between them/over them for more shade. We set it up last week and it looked good.(wish i had a pic of the whole thing)

I was wondering about the possibility of attaching one end of the tarp to the roof rack on my truck. Will this work? Will it hurt my roof rack at all?
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Hoolie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:25 am

In my experience, a vehicle roof rack is a very useful and effective anchor for all kinds of tie-offs.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Token » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:39 am

Your roof rack will be so hurt, it won't talk to you for at least a month and my never forgive you.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:49 am

Probably unfriend you on Facebook, too, and tell everybody at the bar you have an STD.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 am

Bought a pre-packed box store shade structure the first year, and the wind d i s i n i g r a t e d it :o ! The 3-leg design looks rad, but words or advice: rebar, rebar, rebar :D !! If the wind starts to bow it down to break point, get it as flat as possible as soon as possible during a storm. P.S--welcome & see ya in the dust :wink: !
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby shroom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm

LMAO @ Token & CFM!!!!

Thanks for the advice all. My hubby is making playa stakes out rebar for me.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Postby Sham » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:21 pm

There will be some serious flappage going on here. Think of this being set up on top of a box truck travelling on a highway at 70 mph for several hours. This will give you some idea of how it has to be anchored down and how sturdy it should be.
Sham

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Note the aerodynamic shape suitable for high winds, and the shade underneath. There, problem solved :lol:

And as an added benefit, no need for a bike :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Shelter question

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:02 pm

shroom wrote:I was wondering about the possibility of attaching one end of the tarp to the roof rack on my truck. Will this work? Will it hurt my roof rack at all?

If you're going to do the tarp thing on the truck I recommend getting some tent poles for the side not attached to the truck. That way you'll have more useable space under it.

This was my backup shelter after my EZ up was destroyed. :D

mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby shroom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
shroom wrote:I was wondering about the possibility of attaching one end of the tarp to the roof rack on my truck. Will this work? Will it hurt my roof rack at all?

If you're going to do the tarp thing on the truck I recommend getting some tent poles for the side not attached to the truck. That way you'll have more useable space under it.

This was my backup shelter after my EZ up was destroyed. :D

I was thinking of something like that. The shelter I posted above will have our 2 tents covers 2 openings so we will have 1 door. We wanted to attach a large canvas tarp over it, attaching 1 end to the roof rack on my truck, and attaching it everywhere we could to the shelter and tents. The idea is to get more shade and have that double layer covering I keep reading about.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks everyone!
shroom

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm

shroom wrote:
I was thinking of something like that. The shelter I posted above will have our 2 tents covers 2 openings so we will have 1 door. We wanted to attach a large canvas tarp over it, attaching 1 end to the roof rack on my truck, and attaching it everywhere we could to the shelter and tents. The idea is to get more shade and have that double layer covering I keep reading about.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks everyone!

You could try that, but make sure to have a backup. The tents may or may not survive by themselves, and tying anything to them that will catch wind will make it even tougher on them. :)
mudpuppy000

Postby Rice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Hoolie wrote:In my experience, a vehicle roof rack is a very useful and effective anchor for all kinds of tie-offs.

I have seen the occasional dust storm rip roof racks off... I guess it depends on what you are tying and how much wind it will catch.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Token » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I have a feeling you may not have any shade by the second evening on the Playa and quite possibly may be one or two functional tents short.

The roof rack is your only rigid connection.

Attaching a tarp to structures made with pencil thick fiberglass rods under tension will put forces on the poles not anticipated by the designers of your gear.

What kind of truck you got? Full sized SUV like a Suburban or a Toyota Rav 4 wannabe trucklet?
Token

Postby Hoolie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:11 pm

stretch80 wrote:
Hoolie wrote:In my experience, a vehicle roof rack is a very useful and effective anchor for all kinds of tie-offs.

I have seen the occasional dust storm rip roof racks off... I guess it depends on what you are tying and how much wind it will catch.

Holy moly! I can only guess they had a really big wind catcher attached to the rack. Because, when you think about it, roof racks are designed to hold loads to the top of a car at highways speeds (i.e. 70+ mph winds).
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby shroom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Token wrote:I have a feeling you may not have any shade by the second evening on the Playa and quite possibly may be one or two functional tents short.

Attaching a tarp to structures made with pencil thick fiberglass rods under tension will put forces on the poles not anticipated by the designers of your gear.

What kind of truck you got? Full sized SUV like a Suburban or a Toyota Rav 4 wannabe trucklet?

I have a Nissan Frontier. I suppose it's a trucklet, lol!
shroom

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:24 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:54 pm

shroom wrote:
Token wrote:I have a feeling you may not have any shade by the second evening on the Playa and quite possibly may be one or two functional tents short.

I have a Nissan Frontier. I suppose it's a trucklet, lol!

I bought a couple of these to use as supports. Probably better than thrashing your tents. :D

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21541
mudpuppy000

Postby Token » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:56 pm

The Frontier is a truck. Difference is twin rails vs unibody.

I suggest you build what Figjam has...

Or just camp with Figjam. :)
Token

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Token wrote:The Frontier is a truck. Difference is twin rails vs unibody.

I suggest you build what Figjam has...

Or just camp with Figjam. :)

Yeah, that is pretty bad-ass. :D
mudpuppy000

Postby Elorrum » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

the tripod works. put some chairs in the corners or some sort of support when it gets real windy. It'll flex, even the windward side may bow under in a big wind without something there like a chair, but it comes back. Mine survived the wind in 2007, and 2008. tie it everywhere you can, and set a low profile if possible.
Elorrum

Postby shroom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks Elorrum!

Figjam has a nice setup.
shroom

Return to Shelter & Camping