Sterno Stove - Yea or Nay

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Sterno Stove - Yea or Nay

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 pm

So, as I'm making my lists for the playa, (Things I Need, Things I Want, and Things not to Forget), the idea of a Sterno stove keeps popping into my head.

Now, I already have a Coleman that I will be bringing, no problem. The Sterno would presumably be for when I'm out and about, to boil a bit of water for Tea or a Cup of Noodles if I get stuck somewhere.

Now, part of me says, "Keep It Simple Stupid, you already have a good list of portable foods you can carry no problem, this is going too far."

The other half of me says,"You'll really miss this if you don't get it, and think of how cool you'll look when you whip that bad boy out!"

Thus I submit my quandary for your consideration.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: Sterno Stove - Yea or Nay

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:Thus I submit my quandary for your consideration.

Unless you're planning multiday forays into the city, you'll probably survive. If you must travel with a stove, why not impress your new your burner buddies with a Buddy Burner?

http://www.mustanggirls.net/tincan.htm
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Considering the minimal heat generated from Sterno, I've always considered it more appropriate to keep something warm rather than bringing water to a boil. The time investment would be more than it is worth IMHO.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Playa Foot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 pm

By the time you set up the sterno and get your water hot you could have returned to your camp, cooked and eaten a real meal. If you want some hot soup or noodles why not use a thermos?
Playa Foot

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Definitely liking the thermos idea. Cool. Thanks!
Clar-i-ty

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:39 pm

[quote="Playa Foot"]By the time you set up the sterno and get your water hot you could have returned to your camp, cooked and eaten a real meal. If you want some hot soup or noodles why not use a thermos?[/quote]

Actually, it goes pretty quick. We use to use them in the Army quite a bit with MRE's. But I agree, I need to learn to repress my inner-Macgyver.
Clar-i-ty

Re: Sterno Stove - Yea or Nay

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:So, as I'm making my lists for the playa, (Things I Need, Things I Want, and Things not to Forget), the idea of a Sterno stove keeps popping into my head.

Now, I already have a Coleman that I will be bringing, no problem. The Sterno would presumably be for when I'm out and about, to boil a bit of water for Tea or a Cup of Noodles if I get stuck somewhere.

Now, part of me says, "Keep It Simple Stupid, you already have a good list of portable foods you can carry no problem, this is going too far."

The other half of me says,"You'll really miss this if you don't get it, and think of how cool you'll look when you whip that bad boy out!"

Thus I submit my quandary for your consideration.

You'll probably forget to eat anyways...
Bluemandrew

Return to Food & Drink