Shrink Wrapped Vehicle to Playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Shrink Wrapped Vehicle to Playa?

Postby MariahFire » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Has anyone ever taken a vehicle with a shrink wrapped paint job to the playa? If so, how did it fair? If not, speculations are welcome.
MariahFire

Postby ibdave » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:39 pm

if you REALLY think wrapping your car to protect your paint, then maybe this is not the trip for you.... 50,000 people can't be wrong....

really??? :shock: :roll: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby burner von braun » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Do you mean shrink wrapping to protect your vehicle much like a boat or perhaps an aircraft in a boneyard, ...or the vinyl wraps covering the vehicle with imagery that a business might use to advertise?
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 pm

ibdave wrote:if you REALLY think wrapping your car to protect your paint, then maybe this is not the trip for you.... 50,000 people can't be wrong....

really??? :shock: :roll: :shock:

Ummm, but really. I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. If it's advertising kind odd signage then I suggest you cover it safely in something else or you may discover that your car has become a public urinal. We don't take kindly to huge commercial promotion. It's my vacation away from the metropolitan adscape.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Isotopia » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Do you mean shrink wrapping to protect your vehicle much like a boat or perhaps an aircraft in a boneyard, ...or the vinyl wraps covering the vehicle with imagery that a business might use to advertise?

That was going to be my question.

The latter is likely to have demands made that you cover it up completely for the duration of the event.

A second warning to the effect will put you on the radar screen and you can - from past experiences - expect to be asked to either leave the event or park you vehicle at the gate area.
Isotopia

Postby Sham » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:34 am

I am thinking that this is not for advertising, but more for art and images related to this event. This person may be in that business and wants to make something appropriate for the occassion. They may be trying to protect their paint in the process.

A second post by this person would be great to help clarify this.

MariahFire, are you still there?
Sham

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:20 am

I took it to mean could the OP use billboard vinyl to wrap their vehicle. As in, would it work.

yeah, I'd say it will.........and if you tape each seam with duct tape, and, maybe cross wrap it for added stability.
some twine wrap, too.

just don't forget: Leave NO Trace.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:36 am

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a vehicle wrap.

Dadara had this wagon wrapped in 2008 for Dreamyourtopia instead of painting it. The car stayed in Dallas and is still being driven on a daily basis and looks great. Its kind of cool to see it pop up here and there around town.

We have been exploring the option of wrapping our bus with a bunch of abstract artwork. Its cheaper than a high end, custom paint job and just as durable if installed professionally.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Return to Transportation