FOOD: What is your favorite, fun item to bring to share?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

FOOD: What is your favorite, fun item to bring to share?

Postby winebuff » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:50 pm

I am a virgin here and going to be camping with some people I have not met yet in a big camp. Was curious if anyone had something fun they could suggest I bring to share for food or whatever. I have wine and beer but was thinking about something fun with food that is easy. Thx!
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Scroll down to the food topic. I just posted a super easy reciepe for prison burritos. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:21 pm

snacks or a potluck meal? Do you really want to whip something up, or just bring something very cool and convenient? Side dishes are a good bet unless you are assigned a main meal. Thinking of what goes with barbecue usually works.

One thing I like about Burning Man is that you don't have to hide the fact that something came in a can. I recently found out that the tofu envelopes for inarizushi come in a can. I've been wondering for a long time how to make it... doh! make rice, open can, assemble, chill, pray to see the tuna guys.

I do a last toy food trip at TJs the week before I leave. These are items just for pure fun and enjoyment, potluck, snack treats. I have the staples, and can feed people nicely if needed, but bringing out something I haven't tried yet is a treat for me as well.

I'm thinking that since you are a connoisseur of beverages, you will know perfectly paired food items, and can pull one out when it is least expected. This is the magic and joy of it. If somebody winsomely mentions, 'wouldn't it be great it we had some _____ to go with this?" Then you snap your fingers, run to your trailer and come back with it. Smiles all around.
Elorrum

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:57 am

One of my favorites is lumpia, a Philippine deep fryed egg roll. Come tooling in around midnight, ready for a quick snack and then head back out onto the playa. Deep fry up about two dozen lumpias and your entire camp will be your best friend, at least until the last one is consumed.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 am

One of our Playa favorites is Quesadillas. Make a dozen or so and cut them in fours for warm tasty goodness with just a hint of playa for grittyness.[/b]
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby phil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:08 am

One of our friends brought a chocolate mint thing that had vodka in the minty filling. They went so fast, she gave them all out in a single swoop of people grabbing for them. They were excellent!
phil

Postby teardropper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm

I am lucky enough to have a gas fridge, with a freezer. I grill up chicken thighs and breasts and freeze them for great, fast meals. A camp mate does this and puts them, in double bags, directly on the block ice and they keep nicely, at least for a few days. But my best thing was all the individual ice cream snacks. Big hit about Thursday.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby winebuff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:24 pm

wow, great ideas. Keep em coming. Thx :)
winebuff

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:One of my favorites is lumpia, a Philippine deep fryed egg roll. Come tooling in around midnight, ready for a quick snack and then head back out onto the playa. Deep fry up about two dozen lumpias and your entire camp will be your best friend, at least until the last one is consumed.

Oh dear gods, I loves me some lumpia. That was the great thing about being in the Nay, and later, working at the base high school. Any potluck was 100% guaranteed that one of the Fillipino wives would make homemade lumpia. Drooooooooool.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby winebuff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Can you buy pre-made Lumpia? Hmmm... thx Anti-M and Doc. Excited to meet you on the playa :)
winebuff

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:16 pm

winebuff wrote:Can you buy pre-made Lumpia? Hmmm... thx Anti-M and Doc. Excited to meet you on the playa :)

Yes you can, we get ours in the commissary on base.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby winebuff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

AntiM wrote:
winebuff wrote:Can you buy pre-made Lumpia? Hmmm... thx Anti-M and Doc. Excited to meet you on the playa :)

Yes you can, we get ours in the commissary on base.

Hmm, no commisary I can go to here in Portland. Like wine AntiM or Doc? lol. Would love to try one......

winebuff

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 pm

We plan to cook a large ham, slice it and freeze most of it in 2 lb bags. So many things to do with it,,,, or simply eat it as-is! Almost as good as bacon. I said ALMOST!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:19 pm

There was a small Hispanic sort of grocery in Roseville, CA that carried pre-made lumpia, but last time I went in they has stopped selling it. Winebuff, you might want to try Googling it and see if any place in your general area carries it. I can assure you Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro will have a deep fryer specifically set aside to cook up lumpia. And the sauce (in the spoon on the picture you posted) is heavenly. I will most assuredly be bringing that in hopes that the playa will provide lumpia.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby skinnay » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Nacho doritos + canned tuna, so easy, soooooo good.
skinnay

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:There was a small Hispanic sort of grocery in Roseville, CA that carried pre-made lumpia, but last time I went in they has stopped selling it. Winebuff, you might want to try Googling it and see if any place in your general area carries it. I can assure you Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro will have a deep fryer specifically set aside to cook up lumpia. And the sauce (in the spoon on the picture you posted) is heavenly. I will most assuredly be bringing that in hopes that the playa will provide lumpia.

I can get frozen lumpia.....

I feel like the pusherman.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:30 pm

AntiM wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:There was a small Hispanic sort of grocery in Roseville, CA that carried pre-made lumpia, but last time I went in they has stopped selling it. Winebuff, you might want to try Googling it and see if any place in your general area carries it. I can assure you Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro will have a deep fryer specifically set aside to cook up lumpia. And the sauce (in the spoon on the picture you posted) is heavenly. I will most assuredly be bringing that in hopes that the playa will provide lumpia.

I can get frozen lumpia.....

I feel like the pusherman.

I'm your mamma, I'm your daddy
I'm that Anti M in the alley
I'm your doctor, when in need
Want some coke, have some lumpia
You know me, I'm your friend
Your woman, thick and thin
I'm your pusherman
I'm your pusherman

sorely misquoted Curtis Mayfield
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Isotopia » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 pm

As silly and pedestrian as it sounds I once packed up (3) four packs of those cheesy, cheap sealed cups of chocolate pudding (bacon-free) and kept them on ice until mid-week.

Broke them out at the most unexpected point of a very hot day and the camp mates went nuts.

Absolutely nuts.
Isotopia

Postby Bluemandrew » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:41 am

I made a few egg sandwiches last year after I heard a campmate saying how much he would love one. They were a big hit.
Bluemandrew

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:57 am

Sometimes I go to an ethnic market, either Asian or hispanic, and buy cans or bags of whatever I don't recognize.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Fishy Fishy Fishy

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:04 am

Really GOOD canned sardines and good bread with a strong cocktail. Or caviar and champagne in deep playa. Someone will waneder along, you hand them heavenly, salty, delicious caviar on a nice cracker and ice cold champagne. Even people who don't USUALLY like fish seem to go nuts. It just tastes so damn good.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby jella » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 am

hmmm never tried caviar but hey I like champagne
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:17 am

jella wrote:hmmm never tried caviar but hey I like champagne

Well my fellow Stagger, come see me in group shade...I'll hook you up!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby jella » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:06 am

I'll be bringing a few bottles of Almond Champagne :) it's a date !
BTW Happy Birthday !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm

jella wrote:I'll be bringing a few bottles of Almond Champagne :) it's a date !
BTW Happy Birthday !

Thanks Jella! Celebrating here on eplaya and at my desk at work! WOOT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby jella » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 pm

That will be me tomorrow. :roll:
jella

Postby BlueInSeattle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Last year I made filet mignon and lobster tails on Thursday night. Only two of my friends remembered to come back to camp (such is the plight of playa-memory), so I ended up finding people wandering through the streets to feed steak & lobster.
BlueInSeattle

Postby jella » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm

aaaahhhhhh that reminds me of the " come to my camp tomorrow and I'll make you fruit creapes" and I of course remembered this about noon the next day :(
jella

Postby MoonSplash » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Large cooked cocktail shrimp (frozen and defrosted during the day - the $9.99 bags you get from the frozen seafood section in the grocery store) with cocktail sauce - made the most fabulous afternoon pick me up snack. Cold, sweet, delicious. Last time we only brought one bag. They were such a big hit this year we're bring at least two. No cooking whatsoever.

As for pre-made lumpia, you can usually pick them up in the frozen section of Asian stores. Pick up some sweet chili sauce too for dipping in.
MoonSplash

Postby Risky » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:One of my favorites is lumpia, a Philippine deep fryed egg roll. Come tooling in around midnight, ready for a quick snack and then head back out onto the playa. Deep fry up about two dozen lumpias and your entire camp will be your best friend, at least until the last one is consumed.

I've had dessert lumpia with bananas that is heavenly!
Risky

Next

Return to Food & Drink