Irish pub camp from '03 - putrid moop stay home

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Irish pub camp from '03 - putrid moop stay home

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:18 pm

an open letter to the Irish Bar camp at 2:30 and esplanade last year...

I caught a camp mate of yours stealing a blanket from my camp. It was BM so I didn't forcibly take it back (don't fuck with a city boy). I said I'd walk him back so he could get something warm, that was cool with him, he said he'd get me a drink in return. When we got there you were only serving to people with tits, no biggie, it's your perogative if the only action you can get is drunk action (or the fact that you belittle BM as a foreign meat market). The blanket and the asshole disappeared and when I asked his campmates to keep an eye out you all blew me off, it was really weird, I had found the ass end of the playa.

There was nothing I could do but to let the bad vibes go. Then I realised I could just embarrass you here and ask the fucking Irish trash who camped at 2:30 and esplanade to stay home. Shit happens but your heads are in the wrong place.

<steps down from soapbox, puts on a better attitude and walks away>

Thanks for letting me vent, this has been bugging me since the last burn, I felt like I let a camp mate of mine down over a stupid blanket. I wish I could remember the name of the camp.
DeadlyKungFu

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:43 pm

I wish I could remember the name of the camp.

I wish the hell you could remember as well because in one sweeping generalization you just grouped what I estimate from personal observation to be four entirely different camps at or near 2:30. Each contained a sizable contingent of Irish folk.

Getting razzed at someone who's nicked your property is one thing. Assuming that that person is representative of a group is quite another and blasting your frustration and disillusionment at a single individual while implicitly suggesting that it's all about a bunch thieving Irish is bullshit that's on par with any thievery you experienced.

What a totally fucked xenophobic rant you puke forth.
Isotopia

Postby blyslv » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:09 pm

I had two great times at the Paddy Bar.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:29 pm

And Lush Camp

and...
Isotopia

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:18 pm

Xenophobic no. Let's say it was Fat Chick camp. Would you say that I hated all fat chicks? If it was Spoon camp would you say I hated all kitchenware?

Just looking to say what the fuck, give me a break, the whole thing was just so totally wrong and I have a chance to call shenanigans. I really don't dig meat markets or theft. Don't play the race (or nationality) card unless you mean it, that's fucked up. I didn't learn that at BM you will and can walk into frat parties, the next time it happens I'll put the fuckers severed head in your sleeping bag.

This is all just way off attitude here, put the brakes on, go eat some puppy chow.
DeadlyKungFu

Postby blyslv » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:32 pm

Maybe you just ran into one fucked up tarbender who was hoping to get laid.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:53 pm

next time it happens I'll put the fuckers severed head in your sleeping bag.

Snore..............

But thanks for sharing - I feel your pain.
Isotopia

Postby Zephryus » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:37 am

fucking Irish trash

Eh. You went there before the lady did.
Zephryus

Postby Zephryus » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:05 am

Whoops. I just read the Case Studies thread. Please ignore the above poke.
Zephryus

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:27 am

I have asked the admins to delete this thread.

The title to this thread is just wrong and offensive. Without naming the specific camp it's not accurate or proper to fall back on nationality because there are a number of Irish camps out there. That being said all this is just some whining story about a minor theft, so some random could keep warm at night, big deal. I sat at work, having a bad day, I took a break and wrote, contemplating the incident over and over and I lost site of the big picture... it won't happen again.

The support for the Irish burners is wonderful, I myself absolutely harbor no ill will towards to Irish burners or Irish camps, I used poor judgment in not naming a camp, and worse judgment in writing a thread title. I would like it to go away, it's an eyesore to the board and not at all in the spirit of the playa.

Isotopia is right, perhaps with some sugar I would have taken her point, but I am responsible for my own mistakes, and this was a big one.

My humblest apologies to our Irish brothers and sisters, I love you all, please come to playa, it would not be as fun or beautiful without you.
DeadlyKungFu

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:42 am

Dood, IMHO you did a good thing. You were no where's as offensive as

viewtopic.php?t=3989

She never apologized and to this day has no idea what it was she did that was so wrong.

My hat's off to ya. :wink:

Thanks for being as mature and as considerate as you are.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

It's Wrong-DVD Burner-Why?

Postby emily86 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:23 am

I am in your ballpark on not making burnigman an ethnocentric political venue. HOWEVER, every participant has a right to find their own way to connect with the community. So the Jewish camp is not YOUR way.

Everything i read from her (i am not sure, guy/girl...fuck labels) post was meant with sincere positive thinking and joining with others. Maybe there are some Jews who live in such a constrained environment that bman is the only place they feel free to share with others without judgement.

Why do you think the poster should have apologized? You come off like what was done was so blatantly wrong we all should see it a mile away.

Wrong for you...right for others.

Lighten up, babe
Cheena
emily86

Postby bushonk » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:37 am

what's that got to do with an irish pub?
bushonk

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:43 am

Please understand me. I want to make this sound as mellow as possible because it is a very sensitive issue and it still morning here and I think it would be nice just to have this as a thought issue not a loud debate.

I explained to her why it was offensive the way she posted her camp the way she did in a PM I sent to her. I explained that I had arab/Lebenon Palestinian friends (from Kalkilya) that were with me that took offence to the way she posted what she did. I was not the only one that posted that the way she posted was offensive. (Please read her thread from the beginning with this in mind.) I also explained that my friend (who is a burner first time last year who now has a burning baby with his burner girl) would take offense also.

She then further inflamed the thread by posting this statement:

"There is no such thing as Palestinians today. There are Israelis, there are Jordanians, and there are Arabs. "

I personally have no problems with anyone that wants to create any kind on camp they want but why create an exclusionary atmosphere in a loving environment. Several besides me in that thread tried to explain to her why it was offensive.

I'm not interested anymore in explaining this for a 20th time. So let’s just forget it. I just hope I avoid her at all costs.

I'd rather move on.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:47 am

bushonk wrote:what's that got to do with an irish pub?

And please everyone lets not make this anything blown out of proportion any more than it already is.

if you dont understand then skip it.

read everything first before you ask any questions please.

thanks.

It has nothing to do with Irish or anything, it has everything to do with respecting each others feelings. Being sensitive. that's all.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:20 am

And please everyone lets not make this anything blown out of proportion any more than it already is.

Heal thyself physician.
Isotopia

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:27 am

Isotopia wrote:

Heal thyself physician.

Actually I should have phrased that as :if you dont understand me then skip it.

besides, I could'nt have posted it any better than blyslv did.

viewtopic.php?p=56665#56665

Much better writer than I.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby bushonk » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:41 am

Nah, I understood you just fine, I was just being less than sensitive, asking why we were referring to the israel camp thread in a thread about the irish pub. I read the whole spiel, and I'm with you (assuming I'm understanding correctly) that the political discussion should die down, and the threads should return to their previous useful (to whomever it may benefit) discussion.
bushonk

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:44 am

thanks bushonk. :wink:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:19 pm

Go.

Bye bye.

See ya.

And may all your children be born naked.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby stuart » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:19 pm

fuck labels

do you see the irony in making this statement in the context of your post?
stuart

Return to Experiences at Burning Man