Tec-no

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Jordan 10-E » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:32 pm

I want those that say electronic music is "talentless" to put something together for us to show us all how little talent it really takes. After it's done let's take it and compare it to some already established artists.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:04 pm

Jordan 10-E wrote:I want those that say electronic music is "talentless" to put something together for us to show us all how little talent it really takes. After it's done let's take it and compare it to some already established artists.

/\
I don't want to play with people that have no taste. I just want you to take your loud ass crap to edge of the city where you belong.

I could put to geather music that is 600 years and is still being sold today. There are many classics. That garbage you have will all be forgotten in a very short time. I'm sure you would freak out if I were to crank some opera. How about some rock and roll tats still around.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

boom boom boom boom

Postby chickenfish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:05 pm

I beleive last year someone held an electronic music apprectiation class on the playa, that helped to teach those unaware the difference between things like techno, trance, breaks, happy hardcore, jungle, drum'n'bass, etc. There are many different types of eectronic music. Just as many as there are types of acoustic music. And not all deejays play strictly one kind of music, some of them (god forbid) are eclectic enought to play things like black sabbath or king crimson right alongside squarepusher or amon tobin. I personally can't stand Trance, or happy hardcore, but I love Jungle and drum'n'bass. But I've heard some jungle before that is atrocious. For me, I decided to become a DJ after being an avid record collector for years, I felt it was my duty to share my love of music and history with others. And I will tell you, just as with bands, there is a gradation of talent within the art of spinning records. Some people have an amazing talent for it, and can blend different records together effortlessy. Some deejays can't match a beat for their lives, but can segue at the perfect moments from song to song. But like any art form, it takes practice and a love for the craft. I also quite enjoy live music, and I DO wish there was more of it on the playa. Although I could do with out all the hippy drum circles- but that is my preference. I find it quite easy to stay away from the trance camps, to find the jungle or the jug bands, and to have a good time. And I would echo Jordans comment- if you think electronic music production is a talentless art form, produce something and play it aside some more established artist and we'll judge how talentless it is.
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:13 pm

Dear Chicken,

Finding three sounds,recording them and playing the same over and over and over and over. This takes no talent at all. ie: tasteless talentless crap
unjonharley

the new burning man, all drum circles, all the time

Postby chickenfish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:30 pm

Dear Unjon,
If you would bother to read my reply, you might notice that electronic music takes many different types, not all of which are made with 3 sounds. Howerver, since you seem to be only here only to stir up shit, then I won't bother trying to persuade you to try and open your mind some. Perhaps you would entertain us with a dose of what you consider good music? Or music that should or shouldn't be heard on the playa? I would be interested to hear something other than shit come forth from your nimble typing fingers.
sincerely,
chickenfish
chickenfish

oontz oontz oontz oontz

Postby chickenfish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:32 pm

by the way, I would concur that Trance music, and for that matter most House music, is not to my taste. But I wouldn't go as far as to ban it. I'll just try and find something that is to my taste.
respectfully,
chickenfish
chickenfish

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:04 pm

Dear Chicken, It is not a matter of going to the ?music?. It's the fuck-wit that put his/her 3 noise crap on,cranks it and leaves there camp for 4-5 hours. Or finds a nice spot in the burbs. Then set there sound machine with speakers pointed out and over runs every ones sounds. I'm happey to go around the playa and listen to the different sounds. Might even grab my cane off the scooter and dance a bit. Even to some electronic stuff.
My music: blues, (50s-60s) rok&roll, pre50s western, some real country ie Jim Reeves etc, Danced for years to Good rock and roll and Big Band. ANNNd polished my belt buckal to some great love songs.;>) Heard a lot in almost 70 years.
unjonharley

Postby stuart » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:58 pm

I could put to geather music that is 600 years and is still being sold today. There are many classics.

um, not to get all pedantic on ya, well shit, why stop now.

Opera has not been around for 600 years.

A little music history will show that orpheo and erudite, I think, was the first opera clocking in at much less than 600. Also, modern tonality aint been around that long either. Without checking I think I can say that the first triad was done by an Irish monk less than 600 years ago. Most of the 'classics' you are likely referring to clock in at less than half 600. Unless of course you get into stuff like machaut (first polyphonic mass, still under 600). Hardly a well known 'classic' though and it aint gonna get the kids dancin either even though it is devastatingly beautiful.
stuart

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:46 pm

stuart wrote:
I could put to geather music that is 600 years and is still being sold today. There are many classics.

um, not to get all pedantic on ya, well shit, why stop now.

Opera has not been around for 600 years.

A little music history will show that orpheo and erudite, I think, was the first opera clocking in at much less than 600. Also, modern tonality aint been around that long either. Without checking I think I can say that the first triad was done by an Irish monk less than 600 years ago. Most of the 'classics' you are likely referring to clock in at less than half 600. Unless of course you get into stuff like machaut (first polyphonic mass, still under 600). Hardly a well known 'classic' though and it aint gonna get the kids dancin either even though it is devastatingly beautiful.

/\ did not saywhich music was 600.
You have my mention of opera out of it's context. Alltho you are right, I did strech the time frame.
But on the other hand I do my Ti Chi to Japaness and native american
flut. Both being of great age.
unjonharley

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:58 pm

chickenfish wrote:....all of which are made with 3 sounds....

A chicken, a fish, a woofer -- Refoowahsifanekcihca!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby playasnake » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:10 pm

unjonharley wrote: Finding three sounds,recording them and playing the same over and over and over and over. This takes no talent at all. ie: tasteless talentless crap

are you talking about electronic music... or rock and roll?
e pluribus unimog
playasnake

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:12 pm

Iron, Man.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:19 am

playasnake wrote:
unjonharley wrote: Finding three sounds,recording them and playing the same over and over and over and over. This takes no talent at all. ie: tasteless talentless crap

are you talking about electronic music... or rock and roll?

/\
NO!! I'm speaking of pre-Beatles. They ruined pop music forever.
unjonharley

Postby blyslv » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:16 am

My dentist is coming to spin some smoov beats. He assures us it will be painless.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

dang that hew fangled rock and roll music!

Postby chickenfish » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:03 pm

how about a big band swing camp? Someone make it happen!
chickenfish

Rocks holy trinity

Postby chickenfish » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:06 pm

The three sounds of rock'n'roll

drums
bass
guitar
chickenfish

wa! wa! wa!

Postby midgetsonparade » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:07 pm

Strange. I try and camp near all the boom boom camps. It helps me sleep and everyone is more willing to party late. I do agree, lots of electronic music is crap, but for every bad artist there are 2 more that are good if not great. At the same time, a bad DJ can make good music sound like crap. Just mixing the wrong stuff in at the wrong time can ruin a song or a cool vibe.
midgetsonparade

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm

The problem with arguing about music is that everyone is wrong.

BM is a great place to get an appreciation for electronic music or if you want to watch how a DJ spins a good set watch how they manipulate the vinyl and watch the crowd's energy level.

I love the boom boom camps, I never stopped bobbing my head last year. Some good rock and roll DJing would be fun, live acts would be rough because the dryness EATS wooden instruments. There's no way I'd bring my guitar to the playa, a beater guitar yes, but it would probably lose intonation in a few days and sound like crap (not like it doesn't sound like crap when I play anway ;) )

BM has great VARIETY, isn't that worth preserving?

BTW a GREAT site on the roots and development of electronic music can be found here, it's really cool:
www.ishkur.com
follow the links to the 'Ishkur's guide to electronic music'.
DeadlyKungFu

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:26 am

I happen to love techno and is the most evolved music dance form to around since R & B.

Of course you must like the waltz

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:12 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:I happen to love techno

A II Z

/\
I'm sorry (for you)
unjonharley

Postby Tancorix » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:13 am

No matter how much anyone hates Techno, it's still better than having Clear Channel radio stations as your only source of music.

And for me, BM wouldn't be the same without those deep drum beats rumbling across the playa at 4 am. I've had a lot of good memories made at Space Cowboys, Sol System, and other camps like that.
Tancorix

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:02 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Apollonaris Zeus wrote:I happen to love techno

A II Z

/\
I'm sorry (for you)

don't be sorry for me, pray for me!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy