Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

jella wrote:Oh Emily those are soooo cute... gimmie gimmie :)

seriuosly, what brand are those ?
Blush!!! Thanks Jella. I LOVE that these are platforms. I almost left them as is because they're so funny but then couldn't resist adding follage afterall. I think I'm just trying to avoid dealing with our coats. I've realized that we won't be able to sit on the string lights so I have to figure out where to place them for comfort. That will impact the design badly I'm afraid. I was hoping to have them go all over the coat now maybe they have to be just on the shoulders, sleeves and upper chest and back. Any ideas about this?
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby Orchid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Emily, those shoes are awesome! Excellent work! :D
Have you thought about adding a dab of glow-in-the-dark paint around the edges? It dries clear so won't mess up your beautiful daytime look.
User avatar
Orchid
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Postby trystanthegypsy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm

OMG I forgot how hard putting linings in vests is.

*smacks head into wall*
User avatar
trystanthegypsy
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: the frozen North (edmonton, Canada)

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Orchid wrote:Emily, those shoes are awesome! Excellent work! :D
Have you thought about adding a dab of glow-in-the-dark paint around the edges? It dries clear so won't mess up your beautiful daytime look.
GREAT IDEA Orchid! Thanks...will get some.

[quote="Tristanthegypsy]

OMG I forgot how hard putting linings in vests is.

*smacks head into wall*[/quote]

Yeah, linings are a BITCH! Are you using that slippery nylon stuff or something else? Is it too late to make it a reversible vest with non-slippy fabric?
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby jella » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm

EmilyD wrote: I think I'm just trying to avoid dealing with our coats. I've realized that we won't be able to sit on the string lights so I have to figure out where to place them for comfort. That will impact the design badly I'm afraid. I was hoping to have them go all over the coat now maybe they have to be just on the shoulders, sleeves and upper chest and back. Any ideas about this?

I've found myself in the same boat lighted coat wise. Got my battery op leds and ran to add them to the coats still puzzling it out Im glad I have open hems at the bottom of my lining though ! I think I'm gping to concentrate on adding them to the shoulders and sleeves. dk yet
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby trystanthegypsy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

EmilyD wrote:Yeah, linings are a BITCH! Are you using that slippery nylon stuff or something else? Is it too late to make it a reversible vest with non-slippy fabric?


Yeah I'm using taffeta... part of the problem is I edited the pattern halfway through. so it doesn't perfectly match up with the outside.. which is fun fur. so turning the damn thing through the shoulder seams was very challenging. grr. Almost done.. just have to finish up the bottom somehow. I didn't follow the instructions very well cuz it was being a pain.
User avatar
trystanthegypsy
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: the frozen North (edmonton, Canada)

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:
EmilyD wrote:Yeah, linings are a BITCH! Are you using that slippery nylon stuff or something else? Is it too late to make it a reversible vest with non-slippy fabric?


Yeah I'm using taffeta... part of the problem is I edited the pattern halfway through. so it doesn't perfectly match up with the outside.. which is fun fur. so turning the damn thing through the shoulder seams was very challenging. grr. Almost done.. just have to finish up the bottom somehow. I didn't follow the instructions very well cuz it was being a pain.
Do you have a surger? If so, you could just clean the ends of taffeta up and then press under 1/2" and hand hem it to the back of the fur. If you don't have a surger just fold a double hem under and again, hand stitch to the back of the fur.

I'll bet pulling that through the shoulder seams was tough. I always change commercial patterns too because frankly they're crap. They always make sewing so much harder than it needs to be and...they make you buy way more fabric than you actually need. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:53 am

I do have a serger but it's pretty new (well new to me) and I haven't figured out how to change the thread colour (re-thread it) yet... it came threaded with black :)

All done, I just have to add a button! Not sure if I'm gonna sell this one in my store or keep it... I ended up folding the fur over the lining on the bottom.

Commercial patterns are definitely frustrating. Not sure if I'll continue to use this one or not...
User avatar
trystanthegypsy
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: the frozen North (edmonton, Canada)

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:50 am

trystanthegypsy wrote:I do have a serger but it's pretty new (well new to me) and I haven't figured out how to change the thread colour (re-thread it) yet... it came threaded with black :)

All done, I just have to add a button! Not sure if I'm gonna sell this one in my store or keep it... I ended up folding the fur over the lining on the bottom.

Commercial patterns are definitely frustrating. Not sure if I'll continue to use this one or not...
Here's a trick to changing thread colors. You basically cut the existing thread and tie the new thread to its end with a single knot then gently pull all the threads through the system. Here it is step-by-step:

*Cut the black thread at the top ends (close to the spools).

*Remove the black spools.

*Put the new color spools on the machine.

*Tie the new color thread ends to the snipped black thread.

*Carefully pull the threads through the entire system as you jocky the wheel (forward and back a bit so as not to pull the thread too hard).

*When you get to the eye of the needle the knot of the threads will probably not fit through so there you may have to cut and hand thread. Sometimes though the entire 3 or 4 threads change through just gently pulling through the system.

*If all else fails, read the manual. ;-) Hope this helps.
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am

Here's my latest crafts and such, that some of you have already looked at

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/07 ... the-wurst/
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:30 pm

I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

I have some old baggy jeans, that i want to make sorta cut off long short things. I'm hoping to fray the edges were i cut so that they look like kinda stringy and old. But if I cut them with scissors I'll just have a straight edge. I also want to avoid the cut part kinda rolling up like cut fabric some times does.
Does any one know how to fray cut parts of denim? (other than wearing it for a couple years)
I was thinking that instead of using scissors maybe i would use a metal file or sander and just rub through it.
Any ideas?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
User avatar
illy dilly
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:38 pm

back in the olden days we used to just pick and pull the thread that goes horizontally out. Depending on how long you want the fringe it might take kind of a long time. Sorry I am not very crafty
User avatar
lucky420
 
Posts: 4180
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 am
Location: Reno, NV
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jella » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:55 pm

lucky420 wrote:back in the olden days we used to just pick and pull the thread that goes horizontally out. Depending on how long you want the fringe it might take kind of a long time. Sorry I am not very crafty

It goes faster with a fork :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby shroom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:01 pm

I bought fur to make a hat today, but Ms. Presto's videos are no set to private. Does anyone remember the measurement she said? I remember how to sew it, just want to cut it right.

Thanks!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
User avatar
shroom
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Georgia
Burning Since: 2010

Postby jella » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 pm

11 1/2 by 9 I think
I made one and ended up taking it in a little to I made it 8 inches tall after seam allowance but I have a small head so take that with a grain of salt haha
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby shroom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks so much! 8)
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
User avatar
shroom
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Georgia
Burning Since: 2010

Postby jella » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Now that makes a hat for a 22" head circumference If it's for someone larger say 24 ya might wanna measure . Although like she sais the fur does stretch :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 pm

illy dilly wrote:I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

I have some old baggy jeans, that i want to make sorta cut off long short things. I'm hoping to fray the edges were i cut so that they look like kinda stringy and old. But if I cut them with scissors I'll just have a straight edge. I also want to avoid the cut part kinda rolling up like cut fabric some times does.
Does any one know how to fray cut parts of denim? (other than wearing it for a couple years)
I was thinking that instead of using scissors maybe i would use a metal file or sander and just rub through it.
Any ideas?


illy dilly instead of just cutting them, snip only a bit then tear them. Then do take some tools to the fabric. Sanders, hammers, pound between two rocks, drive a car over them, abuse them. That's actually how they first "distressed" jeans back in the 80's.
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm

EmilyD wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

I have some old baggy jeans, that i want to make sorta cut off long short things. I'm hoping to fray the edges were i cut so that they look like kinda stringy and old. But if I cut them with scissors I'll just have a straight edge. I also want to avoid the cut part kinda rolling up like cut fabric some times does.
Does any one know how to fray cut parts of denim? (other than wearing it for a couple years)
I was thinking that instead of using scissors maybe i would use a metal file or sander and just rub through it.
Any ideas?


illy dilly instead of just cutting them, snip only a bit then tear them. Then do take some tools to the fabric. Sanders, hammers, pound between two rocks, drive a car over them, abuse them. That's actually how they first "distressed" jeans back in the 80's.

But don't go so far that things are falling off and creating moop.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37431
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
EmilyD wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

I have some old baggy jeans, that i want to make sorta cut off long short things. I'm hoping to fray the edges were i cut so that they look like kinda stringy and old. But if I cut them with scissors I'll just have a straight edge. I also want to avoid the cut part kinda rolling up like cut fabric some times does.
Does any one know how to fray cut parts of denim? (other than wearing it for a couple years)
I was thinking that instead of using scissors maybe i would use a metal file or sander and just rub through it.
Any ideas?


illy dilly instead of just cutting them, snip only a bit then tear them. Then do take some tools to the fabric. Sanders, hammers, pound between two rocks, drive a car over them, abuse them. That's actually how they first "distressed" jeans back in the 80's.

But don't go so far that things are falling off and creating moop.


Good point. You can also tear them up the leg to get that just-washed-up-on-shore pirate look. ;-)

Actually one of the coolest pair of jeans I ever saw was when my friend in Houston banged big ass wood nails (about 5" long) into her jeans all around the hem. They jangled like wind chimes when she walked. The only problem with them was she couldn't wash them in a washing machine.
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby jella » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 pm

aaaauuuugh I spent two days sewing the most awesome screaming yellow tiger print cargo pants that turned out to be 1 size too small for my husband...
* takes the bag of chips away*.. and says , ok honey you got a month to fit in these hahahahahaha
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Orchid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:06 am

jella wrote:aaaauuuugh I spent two days sewing the most awesome screaming yellow tiger print cargo pants that turned out to be 1 size too small for my husband...
* takes the bag of chips away*.. and says , ok honey you got a month to fit in these hahahahahaha


:lol:
Oh dear!

But! You may have actually done him a favor - a lot of people find they shrink up a bit on the playa (based on my highly scientific method of observing my campmates.)
User avatar
Orchid
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Postby Orchid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:05 pm

If anyone is planning a Metropolis themed outfit or project, I just found some really cool fabric. Not sure what I'd do with it, but some of you clever folks may be inspired :)

http://secure.netsolhost.com/191487.194 ... _Code=FQNY

Image
User avatar
Orchid
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Postby jella » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 pm

yellow cargo pant update..... extra extra !
the awesome yellow pants have been salvaged :). ripped out the structured waist band and sewed wide elastic.. woot woot ! :D
oh and a very manly black tutu has been constructed hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby EmilyD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 am

WOW Orchid that stuff is GREAT! I'm going to try and get some for the mister's coat. It would be so much easier than hand cutting and piecing all the buildings like I was going to do. THANKS!!!

jella, I LOVE a man in a tutu. I wonder if I can get him to....hmmmm. ;-)
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby giroux68 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:53 pm

McCalls 9576 has been my pattern of choice for 7 big ass furry coats. This was my first sewing project, easy to make short or long. The collar needs to be cut off in one piece and sewn back on reversed to make a non reversable coat. You can make the pockets HUGE!!! if you want. I have never bothered with liners or buttons just a big huge fur coat!!! Highly recomend. as for the seams on fur sewing...a brush or comb work well for getting the fur out of the way, as does cutting the fur off the edges. A little extra work on the prep makes the machine work soooo much easier.
giroux68
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:37 am
Location: Gainesville, GA

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 pm

giroux68 wrote:McCalls 9576 has been my pattern of choice for 7 big ass furry coats. This was my first sewing project, easy to make short or long. The collar needs to be cut off in one piece and sewn back on reversed to make a non reversable coat. You can make the pockets HUGE!!! if you want. I have never bothered with liners or buttons just a big huge fur coat!!! Highly recomend. as for the seams on fur sewing...a brush or comb work well for getting the fur out of the way, as does cutting the fur off the edges. A little extra work on the prep makes the machine work soooo much easier.
Thanks for the tips girous68. Do you mean you give the edges a haircut before sewing?
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:07 pm

EmilyD wrote:
jella wrote:Oh Emily those are soooo cute... gimmie gimmie :)

seriuosly, what brand are those ?
jella I just realized that I never answered your question about these boots:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010Q ... ss_product

They're super comfy and really cheap (though the shipping was pricey). I think I got them in about 3 days.
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

Postby jella » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 pm

haha,, Thanks Emily I'm at my limit for footwear now with the black goth stompers :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 am

jella wrote:haha,, Thanks Emily I'm at my limit for footwear now with the black goth stompers :)
Wha? There's a limit to footwear? ;-)
User avatar
EmilyD
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: ArtCar Camp

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests