Bar hopping at Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

I went over to REI this afternoon and got one of these. Seems like it should work out pretty good, since it seals tight. Nice for riding around the playa or doing cartwheels or whatever. :D Damn, I didn't see they had mermaid ones, should've gotten one of those.

http://www.rei.com/product/792637
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 pm

ygmir wrote:I will have a sippy cup............I think I got dosed last year.

Only the chicks get dosed! But there's always the off chance that some wicked matron might be after my ass...one can only hope. (no sippy cup for me, just in case)
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:48 pm

dragonpilot wrote:

Only the chicks get dosed! But there's always the off chance that some wicked matron might be after my ass...one can only hope. (no sippy cup for me, just in case)

maybe someone mistook me for a "Hot Chick"?.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 pm

dragonpilot wrote:

Only the chicks get dosed!

I have a male friend who was dosed & raped in '05. It happens. Use the damn sippy cup.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby kman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:I went over to REI this afternoon and got one of these. Seems like it should work out pretty good, since it seals tight. Nice for riding around the playa or doing cartwheels or whatever. :D Damn, I didn't see they had mermaid ones, should've gotten one of those.

http://www.rei.com/product/792637

CamelBak's Better Bottle: The Sippy Cup for Grownups.

I'll be rockin' one all burn long. :)

They make a stainless steel version, too, but in a wimpy .75 liter size. The man-sized 1 liter better bottles are only available in plastic at this time.
kman

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:29 am

We have camelbak bottles for water. While we do have camelbaks packs, I prefer drinking from the bottle... and we use them all year. Mine is by the bad now, covered in BM stickers. Larry has the big one, he carries it on the truck with him all the time. He even has a monster insulated coozie cover for it. However, the plastic retains flavors, so they are water only for us. Getting the metal one might help, but I think it is the straw that is the problem.

You also have to clean the straw and nipple once a week or your drink will taste "swampy". Ick. Sugary drinks are right out.

For quick casual drinks in bars, they really aren't that great. Too big and too hard to rinse the straw assembly. A travel mug would work better. Yes, we have those too. And stainless steel wine goblets and collapsible shot glasses. Sigh. I'm a cup whore.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 am

AntiM wrote:For quick casual drinks in bars, they really aren't that great. Too big and too hard to rinse the straw assembly. A travel mug would work better. Yes, we have those too. And stainless steel wine goblets and collapsible shot glasses. Sigh. I'm a cup whore.

If you get one of these, get it from Ludo's, seriously!

It's perfect for quick casual drinks. Unhook it, take a swaller, hook it back for the next drink. Or bites of curry.

My kid's cup with the lid and built in straw is great, I even buy some to gift now. And it's from the dollar store, so if it's just too awful to try and clean, I can toss it and get a new one.

Bad hippie. :evil:
C.f.M.

Postby kman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am

AntiM wrote:We have camelbak bottles for water. While we do have camelbaks packs, I prefer drinking from the bottle... and we use them all year. Mine is by the bad now, covered in BM stickers. Larry has the big one, he carries it on the truck with him all the time. He even has a monster insulated coozie cover for it. However, the plastic retains flavors, so they are water only for us. Getting the metal one might help, but I think it is the straw that is the problem.

You also have to clean the straw and nipple once a week or your drink will taste "swampy". Ick. Sugary drinks are right out.

For quick casual drinks in bars, they really aren't that great. Too big and too hard to rinse the straw assembly. A travel mug would work better. Yes, we have those too. And stainless steel wine goblets and collapsible shot glasses. Sigh. I'm a cup whore.

You know they work well without the straw, too, right? You just have to tip it back to drink like a normal sippy cup. :)
kman

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:18 am

I was looking at the 1L ones too, but then remembered some bad experiences when I filled something that size with rum and coke... :D Need to pace myself out there.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 am

AntiM wrote:We have camelbak bottles for water. While we do have camelbaks packs, I prefer drinking from the bottle... and we use them all year... And stainless steel wine goblets and collapsible shot glasses. Sigh. I'm a cup whore.

Camelbak for water, steel bottle for electrolytes, steel travel mug for drinks and a collapsible shot glass which tends to make quite a bit of noise in my backpack.

Cup Whores Unite!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

Probably my fave shot glass ever was a camp several years ago at...Alchemy? Transformus? Giving away shots that came with a shot glass...they had trays of them. The shot glasses were empty film canisters taped to some string...loved it. DIY FTW.
C.f.M.

Postby kman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:27 am

C.f.M. wrote:Probably my fave shot glass ever was a camp several years ago at...Alchemy? Transformus? Giving away shots that came with a shot glass...they had trays of them. The shot glasses were empty film canisters taped to some string...loved it. DIY FTW.

BWA-HA-HA-HA!! Cute glass, but it's the "pearl necklace" that pushes it over the top. Hysterical!

Clar-ity- Sport Chalet and other camping stores have soft, collapsible sillycone shot glasses that are pretty handy. Quieter than your collapsible one, at any rate, and nicely cheap. Your metal one might rinse easier, though.

For people using the handy-dandy Ludo mugs, how are you keeping playa out of the cup when not being actively used? That's my one reservation about a standard mug like that, especially one apparently designed to clip to the outside of your gear, exposed to the dust.
kman

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:35 am

Well, I get what people are saying about rude bars.

But the thing is, I suspect bar camps get tired of the endless 'takers' that have nothing to offer.

A kind word? A joke? A funny comment maybe? How about complimenting something inventive about the camp? ANYTHING!?

Too often it's like people just wander around with their beggar cups out in front of them.

Bar camps are there to have fun too. Let out your inner raconteur and things will be fine.

Also, if you DO carry along your own, you'll have much better luck if you walk into a bar with something in your cup that you are sipping on. Hang out and chat for a few while sipping your own drink. If you like it, simply drain your cup and place it down while you're talking.

I've never had friendly bar denizens fail to offer a refill.

<shrugs>

It's not just the camps that have to participate, ya know...

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Well, I get what people are saying about rude bars.

But the thing is, I suspect bar camps get tired of the endless 'takers' that have nothing to offer.

A kind word? A joke? A funny comment maybe? How about complimenting something inventive about the camp? ANYTHING!?

Too often it's like people just wander around with their beggar cups out in front of them.

Bar camps are there to have fun too. Let out your inner raconteur and things will be fine.

Also, if you DO carry along your own, you'll have much better luck if you walk into a bar with something in your cup that you are sipping on. Hang out and chat for a few while sipping your own drink. If you like it, simply drain your cup and place it down while you're talking.

I've never had friendly bar denizens fail to offer a refill.

<shrugs>

It's not just the camps that have to participate, ya know...

LoR

very good, salient points, all
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ConnieH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:But the thing is, I suspect bar camps get tired of the endless 'takers' that have nothing to offer.

LoR

I doubt anyone in this forum is one of "those" people, but I've seen them. Our bar is a gift to participants - just like other gifting on the playa, there is no expectation of a gift in return, however I do have an expectation of gratitude, and it is my choice whether to give you the gift or not.

Whenever we go into bars, we sit down (or stand) and chat with the bartender until he or she offers a drink, most times it happens, sometimes it doesn't and that's fine with me. It just doesn't feel right to me to ask for a gift - I know that is what the bars are there for, but still, it goes against the whole premise.
ConnieH

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:02 am

I guess since I'm not a "taker," and I wouldn't hang out with that sort, I can't really relate to that angle.

And as a bartender (my regional puts a bar IN the effigy, for which I've been Bar Team Leader for two years :twisted:), though I kinda know the type. I just have no problem calling them out for being shitheads and making them awful drinks. I'm just really, really, REALLY lucky that my main burns are super awesome and not full of the bad element like BRC can be.

For people using the handy-dandy Ludo mugs, how are you keeping playa out of the cup when not being actively used?

I didn't. Don't really care. Give it a swipe with my finger if need be, otherwise I don't really worry about it.

You could clip it on a backpack and zip it up in a pocket.
C.f.M.

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

Or a quick rinse with water...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 am

I've tended bar each of my 5 Burns and I have always tried hard NOT to be one of those cooler than thou types who refuse to acknowledge someone's presence or serve only the smokin hot chicks. Actually, when I see someone who looks like they may not fit the current definition of "cool kid" (e.g. looks like me) I go outta my way to make sure they are refreshed.

I do HATE, however, the late in the week fratboy crowd and I loath the "you guys got any cups?" question.

After Burn # 2 I always bar hop with my own liquor supply, or make sure I'm with a hot chick or two
Teo del Fuego

Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:50 am

I LOVE the "do you have a cup?" question because then I get to yell at idiots.

"Of course we don't have cups! IF YOU NEED IT YOU BRING IT. And if I see you moop I will punch you in your dick."

And all the other cool kids, standing around the bar with their bowls and mugs and cups can point and laugh.
C.f.M.

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Eric wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:

Only the chicks get dosed!

I have a male friend who was dosed & raped in '05. It happens. Use the damn sippy cup.

Oh quit getting all serious...;)
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:26 pm

CfM you just so damn funny
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby MissNev » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:30 pm

We've run a bar out there for many years. We are very friendly, have an amazing selection and skilled bartenders, and we are no barter. We serve everyone (old enough) and offer non alcoholic beverages as well. We supply some cups, but prefer that you bring your own vessel. However, I've seen other bars who are less than hospitable and even rude. I usually barage them with insults about how much better we are than them. So, if anyone is looking for THE BEST place, be sure to find The Livers End.

Enough of me getting down with my bad self.
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End
MissNev

Postby TomServo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:05 pm

MissNev wrote:We've run a bar out there for many years. We are very friendly, have an amazing selection and skilled bartenders, and we are no barter. We serve everyone (old enough) and offer non alcoholic beverages as well. We supply some cups, but prefer that you bring your own vessel. However, I've seen other bars who are less than hospitable and even rude. I usually barage them with insults about how much better we are than them. So, if anyone is looking for THE BEST place, be sure to find The Livers End.

Enough of me getting down with my bad self.

I bring a supply of cups for visitors, however, the "rude" factor goes both ways. Its ridiculous to expect a bar to NOT have cups, so for those not familiar with the BYOC practice, I provide. And politely ask that they hold on to it, for their drunken safari.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:16 pm

I like the basic alladin 12 ounce travel mug... used to be in every seasonal area at grocery stores, and drug stores, with ads on them, plain... 4 dollars at the most, and I've found them at garage sales, gifted from friends who had them from convention stuff. closed handle, carabiner friendly.

now, ygmir will need to have his i.d. handy
and bring a sippy cup with a lid
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:18 pm

I feel loved, and cared for................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby kman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:24 pm

ygmir wrote:I feel loved, and cared for................

In your place, I would be clamoring for dinner.
kman

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 pm

ygmir wrote:I feel loved, and cared for................

and well you should.
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:52 pm

(((((Elorrum))))
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby haolegolucky » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 am

[quote="kman"][quote="mudpuppy000"]

[img]http://media.rei.com/media/tt/1aa9d278-a5b3-4ae5-b130-7e45eee8d102.jpg[/img]

They make a stainless steel version, too, but in a wimpy .75 liter size. The man-sized 1 liter better bottles are only available in plastic at this time.[/quote]

That bottle is going to get pretty funky if its like my other camelback bottle. I put wine in it and the taste and smell has never come out. You might want to spring for the stainless steel!
haolegolucky

Postby This Woman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:13 pm

In my experience as a bartender, the people you describe are very few. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are outnumbered by rude bars. Personally, I consider a taker as a challenge. It’s pertinent, perhaps, that ours is a small, neighborhood bar.

Appreciation for our efforts is always nice. But on that flipside, I feel a little sad when people come up to the bar already reaching into their bags, or worse, feeling guilty because they have nothing to “giftâ€
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink