Bar hopping at Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Bar hopping at Burning Man

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:08 am

Bring your own cup! I've thought of a plastic cup hooked to a lanyard, but I'm sure there are better alternatives out their.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bluemandrew » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 am

A friend had a metal coffee mug on a carbiner, i thought that was a handy and compact idea
Bluemandrew

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:55 am

Those mugs are awesome, you can even buy one with the man on it AND support a truly original camp, links here.

I found the bars I tried rather rude and disinterested - it was a very unfunny joke that I spent one night wandering for hours, and couldn't get a drink.

So now I have an extra water bladder full of gin, fuck bars at BM...
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 am

C.f.M. wrote:Those mugs are awesome, you can even buy one with the man on it AND support a truly original camp, links here.

I found the bars I tried rather rude and disinterested - it was a very unfunny joke that I spent one night wandering for hours, and couldn't get a drink.

Not all bars are rude. I run a polite bar. And thank DOG for Spikes!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 am

TomServo wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:Those mugs are awesome, you can even buy one with the man on it AND support a truly original camp, links here.

Not all bars are rude. I run a polite bar. And thank DOG for Spikes!

I'll back Tom up on that one........absinthe, or not..........

I like the "travel mug" with sippy top and belt clip......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 am

Some would say bring yer ID too....i never ran into a problem and I was 23...But dont get mad if a bar wont serve you.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby teardropper » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 am

Bluemandrew wrote:A friend had a metal coffee mug on a carbiner, i thought that was a handy and compact idea

That's what I have, a stainless steel camping style cup with a wire handle. Holds a carabiner and conveniently clips to belt loop, pack, hydropak, whatever. Never leave home without it dangling to one side.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby FaeTora » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 am

Do you really have to carry your ID with you? hmm.... Where to put that if one is walking around in a bra and a thong. Boot i guess?
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:57 am

FaeTora wrote:Do you really have to carry your ID with you? hmm.... Where to put that if one is walking around in a bra and a thong. Boot i guess?

Boot, inside your bra - but if you're walking around in just a bra and thong, with no water (ie, nowhere to stick a teensy little ID), you deserve what you get...that's a really good reminder.

I felt so bad for that one bar that got fined for serving a minor.
C.f.M.

Postby ConnieH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 am

Come to Farmopolis at 4:30 and C, none of us are rude OR disinterested - we run a fun friendly bar!

And yeah, we'll card you if we think you don't look old enough, that would suck to get popped for serving a minor. It's too bad they don't give minors different colored bracelets, or stamp 'em or something - hah, maybe a tattoo that magically disappears when they reach the age of majority, wouldn't that be awesome? ;-)

I used an open cup on a caribiner my first year and kept spilling it, so now I use a 1/2 liter nalgene I stole from my son - it has two lids, a bigger one that accomodates ice well, and a second one on top of that that is smaller and easier to drink from without spilling :D
ConnieH

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 am

I was mostly drinking my own stuff last year, but went to bars a few times. They looked at me kinda crazy when I brought out my "cup" which was a cycling water bottle. Fill er up please! :D I like that camping cup idea, I might have to get one of those.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:32 am

" used an open cup on a caribiner my first year and kept spilling it,"

...you need to drink faster. :lol:
C.f.M.

Postby pinemom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:53 am

First off, Always use a covered cup!!!
(sippy cup,nalgene bottle, water bottle keep it covered)

Yes, People do get DOSED!!!!!!! Unfortunate but true.

And as one of the proprietor of the BOOBY BAR...please come by and see the bestest bar in BRC....3:00 & A street

Yup, we also will ask to see you ID if you look under 25!
Trust me...that a good thing!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:06 am

No bar-hopping experience would be complete without a stop at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. And we supply the cups! We may well not be the "bestest bar" on the playa, but we certainly are one of the busiest, with the best looking people not only pouring the wine but drinking it as well. Isn't that right Bluemandrew?
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby dinks » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:34 am

Rude bars? Never encountered one, maybe I just got lucky.

In 07 we carried a bunch of red plastic cups in my backpack with everyones name on them. It made for a messy backpack and dusty gritty drinks. I'd suggest what ever cup you bring to have a lid on it.
dinks

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 am

Just bought me one of those mug's CfM suggested!

And yes, since I'm not a pretty young raver girl, getting gifted a drink at a bar can be hopeless at times. Sure there are a few bars that are not like that, but really the majority of them are...That's just the way it goes, no different in default or BRC.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 am

Ygmir, I can see you needing a sippy cup; many people want to take advantage of your delicate figure and compliant manner. Heavens to Betsy.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby teardropper » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

I'd be more interested in a covered cup if I had had a dusty drink experience. Sure, it probably got some dust in it, not so bad that a finger couldn't wipe it out, but so had everything else, never bothered me. As far as getting cubed (or dosed as they say now, damn young whippersnappers) I have never had the pleasure. I, too, am not a pretty, young raver girl. Old long hair, slightly paunchy guys never get the breaks...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:52 am

I will have a sippy cup............I think I got dosed last year.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby pinemom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:47 am

<~~~~experienced the DOSE!

bad.
pinemom

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 am

You kids have all the fun.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby pinemom » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:50 am

I only know they said I was having fun...beyond that....nuttin.
pinemom

Postby Clar-i-ty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:56 am

Bounce530 wrote:Just bought me one of those mug's CfM suggested!

And yes, since I'm not a pretty young raver girl, getting gifted a drink at a bar can be hopeless at times. Sure there are a few bars that are not like that, but really the majority of them are...That's just the way it goes, no different in default or BRC.

WORD! I carry a flask for this reason.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:09 am

pinemom wrote:I only know they said I was having fun...beyond that....nuttin.

You should start a blog about it. And then start a thread here linking to the blog and talking more about it.
C.f.M.

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 am

You & me both. I can count on one hand the number of drinks I have had in playa bars in 5 Burns on one hand--other than the nearby sweethearts in the tapestry-covered dome on 8:50 and E last year, with whom I didn't even try. They kept hollering for me to come in every time I walked to the bathroom, god bless 'em. I was not used to pleasantry from a playa bar and did not immediately go for it, but eventually they wore me down and fed me beer. Neighbors & friends have been much better pub-like experiences.

On the upside, I have never been dosed.

I just carry my own alcohol now, and if I luck into a friendly bar, that's nice.

(I will try stopping at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro this time--or so I claim, pre-playa in the organized light of day--just because I've always liked the name!)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bluemandrew » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:42 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:No bar-hopping experience would be complete without a stop at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. And we supply the cups! We may well not be the "bestest bar" on the playa, but we certainly are one of the busiest, with the best looking people not only pouring the wine but drinking it as well. Isn't that right Bluemandrew?

You speak the truth Doc, we're more like a bar where the bartenders didn't show up, but the regulars opened the doors anyways.
Bluemandrew

Postby oldsoul » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Really? You guys have problems with playa bars? I've never really had much of a problem getting a drink at any bar I've stopped at for 5 years now, or even encountered much of any rudeness.

I'm not cute and lack tits too.
oldsoul

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:No bar-hopping experience would be complete without a stop at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. And we supply the cups! We may well not be the "bestest bar" on the playa, but we certainly are one of the busiest, with the best looking people not only pouring the wine but drinking it as well. Isn't that right Bluemandrew?

You speak the truth Doc, we're more like the bartenders didn't show up, but the regulars opened the doors anyways.

I thought most playabars were like the bartenders didn't show up, but the regulars opened the doors anyways.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
pinemom wrote:I only know they said I was having fun...beyond that....nuttin.

You should start a blog about it. And then start a thread here linking to the blog and talking more about it.

But wait a few years before bringing it up.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Savannah wrote:

You & me both. I can count on one hand the number of drinks I have had in playa bars in 5 Burns on one hand--other than the nearby sweethearts in the tapestry-covered dome on 8:50 and E last year, with whom I didn't even try. They kept hollering for me to come in every time I walked to the bathroom, god bless 'em. I was not used to pleasantry from a playa bar and did not immediately go for it, but eventually they wore me down and fed me beer. Neighbors & friends have been much better pub-like experiences.

Thank you!! People think I'm lyin'. Even my very own neighbors weren't very friendly with the booze...I mean, ya think if your camp was a BAR, and somebody walked up with a cup and a smile, you'd at least acknowledge them...anyways.

I can't wait to get my new 'biner mug from Ludo's!

I have that for drinks, food, shots, etc. and a bottle with a lid and built in straw for longer-term beverages (also hangs from me or on my bag).

Fire Moose - 'xactly. 8)
C.f.M.

Next

Return to Food & Drink