Lost without a camp!

Lost without a camp!

Postby kindred » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:13 pm

Hello fellow burners!!

I have a special request! You see, myself (second year on the playa) and two friends (both virgins) have recently found ourselves without a camp to stay with!! We have so far had two camps lined up, but they have both fallen through! We can't afford to bring our own stove, shade structure, ect. and we could really use some help!!

Does anyone know of a theme camp or private camp that we could stay with? there are three of us, but two are staying in the same tent, but we can pay camp fees or make contributions to the camp i.e. cooking, cleaning, building, giving rides from San Francisco (one extra seat). This would be an IMMENSE help!! We're still new to the playa and want to make sure that we wont starve and/or be swallowed up by sand storms.

PLEASE HELP US PLAYA-WON KENOBI!!! YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE!!!

~Kindred
kindred

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm sorry you feel so desperate about your situation. You really needn't be desperate. The price of camp fees would buy many little stoves and many shade tarps structures. You could even save some money by D.I.Y. I think you have the power of the force of self sufficiency and self reliance within you, young jedi.
Elorrum

Postby Rice » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Welcome to the Eplaya!!!

I understand how overwhelming it can seem... My second burn was the first time I tried to camp by myself. Since I went super cheap and did not test most of my new gear, we could say that burn was a complete disaster. (My shade structure fell apart as I was putting it up, I lost my can opener during setup, and ended up feeling like a complete burden on some friends I had camped near.) My third burn was much more self-sufficient. I had some better gear and tested everything at home before leaving.. There were a few issues on-playa but mostly drama due to my sleep deprivation (up for 4 days straight :(

This year I am skipping the 3 day drive and flying in. So, I have to cram all my gear into two duffel bags (last year I had a 7'x12' trailer), and scale down to the bare minimum.

It is possible to skip the need to cook stuff if necessary. . . Just buy canned food and leave it in your tent. for a instant warm meal, take it out around 2pm and vola - open & eat.

The above comments are based on my experiences, your reality is most likely different ;)

Love Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Token » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby kindred » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks 'yall!!

I really appreciate your awesome comments! As it stands though, I'm really trying to avoid a crash and burn kind of situation. While I'm in San Francisco and will make the trek like most burners, my two companions are coming out here from Boston. I really don't want to end up with a deflated camp or to come home at dawn and find all of our stuff has been stolen or something similarly tragic.

Getting some feedback has definitely reduced my desperation (for now) and I'm glad to see the BM community offer to help me out. Thanks again!!

~Kindred
kindred

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:25 am

TOKEN!!! NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby curiousgnate » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:55 pm

yeah token i am stealing that image. hiiiiiiiiilarious!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 am

Token wrote:Image

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...hahahaha...hahaha...ha.

...ha.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 am

kindred wrote:Thanks 'yall!!

I really appreciate your awesome comments! As it stands though, I'm really trying to avoid a crash and burn kind of situation. While I'm in San Francisco and will make the trek like most burners, my two companions are coming out here from Boston. I really don't want to end up with a deflated camp or to come home at dawn and find all of our stuff has been stolen or something similarly tragic.

Getting some feedback has definitely reduced my desperation (for now) and I'm glad to see the BM community offer to help me out. Thanks again!!

~Kindred

Kindred, I wasn't planning on going to the playa this year till about a month ago, when my other plans changed and I realized I would be able to. But, I had no money saved for this year's burn and realized I would have to buy a full priced ticket.

So, I did a self inventory of skills and capital and figured out a way to raise the money to go. I bought my ticket last week, and continue to raise money for the extras now, like new boots and a new tent.

Have a yard sale, flip bikes, sell blood. Celebrate Radical Self Reliance. It's our way. There really is nothing better than realizing what you can do on your own.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby alt12 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am

kindred wrote:Thanks 'yall!!

~Kindred

Why would anything get stolen? I've camped next to folks that have merely put a tarp over their car door and used a $20 camping stove and a couple of foldable chairs.... Really, not hard.... Or for $99 you can get a little canopy and tie down with guy wire... presto....

What it sounds like is that you want the comfort and nice-ities of a large camp. I can understand that 100%. You're out there for a week, why not have something a little more comfy...

Best rest assured, if it doesn't pan out, you really can camp by yourself pretty easily.... The benefits are: its cheap and build-up/tear-down is a total breeze....
alt12

Church of the Perpetual Party is here for you :-)

Postby CristalArcade » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:30 am

Hi there,

We still have room in our camp! We also provide kitchen, social shade structures, and a dj booth in our church. All of our details can be found here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcmhnfz9_9fp675rf8 . We also have a page on facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/churchoftheperpetualparty

If you have any questions please contact me :D

)*(
-Cristal Arcade
CristalArcade

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:56 am

You can always sell your ticket is you feel that you're not prepared to be 100% radically self-reliant. This year would have been my fourth, and I sold mine because I didn't feel I could have done it justice.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Clar-i-ty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:You can always sell your ticket is you feel that you're not prepared to be 100% radically self-reliant. This year would have been my fourth, and I sold mine because I didn't feel I could have done it justice.

Oh Dougly! So sorry to hear you had to give up your ticket. But I feel you. Totally!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Paddy Mirage can help you

Postby Paddy Mirage » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 pm

We have space for Campers and have a variety of options to offer you. We have been placed at 2 o'clock and Athens. The location will be hard to beat. We will be leaving from San Francisco. If you are interested in joining us you should contact me at paddymirage@gmail.com We have years of experience and will have all the things you are looking for in a camp. You can check out our website to see what we have done in the past. http://burntheirishbar.com/ Burning Man is about self reliance and camping in a theme camp provides a partial support system but the experience will always be up to you.

hope this helps,
Smarkles
Paddy Mirage is a glowing place of creativity and socializing in the setting of an Irish Bar, a place of laughter, music and cheer; a community environment for the all social classes to share.
Paddy Mirage

Postby talito » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Paddy Mirage! I'm seeing things already.

How many camper spots do you have left? What are the dues? I looked on the website but couldn't find that info.
talito

pretend it's mongolia

Postby Vittachitta » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:59 pm

hey,
it can't be worse than mongolia, right?

just let's pretend we're in mongolia. and make a camp. people meet up in the "primo space reserved for the general public" mentioned on the new map.

yeah!
looking for friends and experiences that inspire and teach
Vittachitta

Postby FjordLynn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 pm

As you can see in my sig, we are still looking for members. We only have room for about 4 more people, so it might work out. $200/each and we provide hot dinner 5 nights and there are no work shifts.
The Hookah Lounge Theme Camp Organizer
2010 - Ring Road & 6:00, 2011 - Anniversary & 4:20, 2012 - Alyssum & 4:20
Rate us on Yelp! We are no longer open for members to register this year, but please come by to enjoy some hookah!
FjordLynn

are you still orphaned?

Postby Vittachitta » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 pm

hi,
are you still orphaned or have y'all found a camp?
Vittachitta

Postby veleda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 pm

I guess I would ask why join a camp?

Theme camps cost moolahs and required participation. Everyone pools their resources and ya it is usually cooler than any group can do alone.. but if it sounds like you are cash poor.. then enjoy the beauty of being cash poor.

I know people that go to the playa and scour free food all week for most of their meals.. only bringing tasty bites , soymilk/granola (yes I'm from san francisco). You CAN DO Burning man really cheap. That means usually not with a theme camp.

Elsewise - i would try to find a camp that appeals to you that you feel you can be a true contributing member to because you're inspired by what they are doing.. you love the idea of offering late night chai, or live music, or running an awesome bar.. or caretaking fire art, etc.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

yeah

Postby Vittachitta » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:28 pm

yeah, i hear ya; my ticket was expensive enough, and there's fossil fuel and money to burn to get there. plus all the supplies. i don't want to pay to be in a theme camp this first time especially; i just want to help grow a camp with others who want to be theme- and fancy free.
Vittachitta

Postby smilodon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 am

I'm campless too. I don't want to be too close to the Esplanade - was considering just pitching a lone tent or joining Hushville. I have most of the stuff I need, but it would be great if I could have access to someone's shade structure.

What do y'all think?
smilodon

orphans rule by having no rules?

Postby Vittachitta » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 am

hey, come on down.
i'll keep you in the loop.
i have to sort through all of the camp location suggestions and then i guess we'll flip a coin or something!
:)
Vittachitta

Postby smilodon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Yes please! Thanks, Vitta!
smilodon

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 pm

smilodon
stop off by the booby bar, I like your name.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mthyer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:Have a yard sale, flip bikes, sell blood. Celebrate Radical Self Reliance. It's our way. There really is nothing better than realizing what you can do on your own.

Going through the same set of challenges, who isn’t? I'd recommend the following:

1) A challenge to self-reliance can be used as excuse for feeling bad about your situation *or* as an opportunity for making yourself happy. Most of the time most people (including yours truly) cannot hope to control their situation, but you've always got leverage on your own brain. You know what you want ("I want to go to Burning Man and have a singularly good time that I'll be unable to forget when they put me in the nursing home because i can't recall who I am.").
2) You can clearly call out the challenges you and your mates will experience getting to what you want ("Have car that over heats = potential risk. Mitigation = carry a little coolant or ride in someone else's nicer car").
3) And because you know what you want and you know how to get to it you have exceptional leverage to manhandle your angst and anguish over what is, undoubtedly, a crappy situation. Every time I feel the words “yeah, butâ€
mthyer

Return to 2010 Theme Camps