New electric scooter

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

New electric scooter

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:02 pm

With extra battery pack. Huals my fat ass pretty good. Now working on a super charger. Any one? With out burning the damn thing up. I want faster charger. 4-7 hours is to much geneator time. Were talking 12 volts here.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby bushonk » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:34 am

dunno about a rapid charger, but how accessible is the battery? Might be worth investing in a spare that can be trickle charged off a solar panel or some shiz...
bushonk

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:58 am

Two spares, I would think, just from experience w/ cordless drills.

REI has a compact 12V solar unit, btw.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:30 pm

lube for the chain and cans of air to blow dust out of the motor? how long do you think it will survive afterwards?
DeadlyKungFu

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:37 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:lube for the chain and cans of air to blow dust out of the motor? how long do you think it will survive afterwards?

I think it will take care of the event. After wash all machiney down with solvent a.k.a. WD40 and paint brush. Still need to charge at a faster rate.
unjonharley

Postby Dork » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:25 pm

Dunno about WD-40, it tends to attract dust.

Sears has a 2/40/200 amp charger that should cut your charging time down for around $90. Only problem is they're kind of big. What model battery are you using? Some manufacturers publish charge curves and such. Too high a charge voltage or amperage could lower the life of the battery.

A 40amp, 12-15v adjustable voltage power supply would also work if you could find one in your price range. You'd need voltage and amp meters to set it up properly.
Dork

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:24 am

Th WD49 was ment to clean once again at home. Wish I had enough power to have my compresser on the playa.

The scooter mfg. was smart enough to put the batteryy in a little suit case type bag. They offer extra battery packs. Guess the smart for me to do is go to a good battery store/exchange and brain milk them. Then come back to this thread and share.
unjonharley

Postby robotland » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:44 am

You could rig a blower by fastening a hose to your spare tire and manually refilling it later......there are also little 12V airpumps for mattresses and such that put out a fair amount of air.

How big are the wheels on your scooter? It's being said that the dust, she is a blowin' this year.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:02 pm

Went to talk to the guy with the battery brains. He wasn't that much help. So I am going to charge a car battery with a briggs&stration and altenator Then run the 24v. charger with a 800 watt inverter off the battery. The car battery can be fast charged without damage. It can also be charged while dis-charging into the inverter. The 24v chargers out put is dc20-29.5v 2.0amp.

Come on, some of you electric heads can tell me how far off I am????
unjonharley

Postby Bob A » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:03 pm

Sounds reasonable to me, the only thing I would suggest is buy a deep cycle battery instead of a car battery. It will take the discharges a lot better than a car battery. Costco and places like that usually have one or 2 deep cycle batteries.

bob A
Bob A

Postby Steven bradford » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:30 pm

I fully predict this to be the year of Segway bondage.
Steven bradford

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:38 pm

Steven bradford wrote:I fully predict this to be the year of Segway bondage.

/\

And, just why would I wish to tie a segway down and fornicate with it?
unjonharley

Postby Bob A » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:06 pm

Unjonharley,

I thought of something else. When I was researching the solar system for my RV I read a few things that warned about battery chargers running on inverters. They were talking about chargers for portable drills and such. They said most worked fine but some didn't like the dirtier power that comes out of a regular inverter. The only way to check was to plug it in and see if the charger started to get unusually hot, if so don't use. Great advise but by this time you have bought everything. The only way to avoid this is to buy a pure sine wave inverter, which is way to expensive. Also the power coming directly out of a generator would be pure sine wave too. But that was what you were trying to avoid from the start, running a generator 4 to 5 hours just to charge your scooter.

You should be ok I would think the charger for the scooter should be of a high enough quality to not be a problem, but watch it the first few times you charge it would suck to burn your charger out on the playa.

bob A
Bob A

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:41 pm

I have a couple inverters. Hope to run a number of things off it. A fan would be nice. Lay a damp towel on my fat body and turn a fan on. hmmmmm.

This scooter is hard to handle at walking speeds. I figure a good gust of wind with me at -5 mph could knock me over. So am designing training wheels. Sides Grandfather has a very weak ankle. It wouldn't do to have him put it down fast. It would colapes. I will gladly piss on the first one that points and laughs at the training wheels. Also just install one of those split seats. The middle is open and no horn to crush your balls.
unjonharley

Postby Dork » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:29 pm

Wait.. is the scooter 12v or 24v?

If the scooter batteries can't handle fast charging, I'd suggest chucking them and getting something that can, like a deep cycle marine battery.
Dork

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:54 pm

Dork wrote:Wait.. is the scooter 12v or 24v?

If the scooter batteries can't handle fast charging, I'd suggest chucking them and getting something that can, like a deep cycle marine battery.

/\

Its 24v. Battery is 12x2. The next question is>>> Am I going to amp the motor up and fry it? I could whip up trailer for the larger battery pack. I have a couple of deep cell from an old Raskal. The three wheel disabled kind. New they run $69.00.
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:30 pm

As long as you supply it with 24v, it will only draw the amount of current it wants. You won't fry it with larger batteries of the same voltage.
A set of jumper cables from your vehicle would let you charge from the vehicle alternator, would use more gas but a lot quieter... unless you have a big-block with a set of glasspacks or something.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:54 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:As long as you supply it with 24v, it will only draw the amount of current it wants. You won't fry it with larger batteries of the same voltage.
A set of jumper cables from your vehicle would let you charge from the vehicle alternator, would use more gas but a lot quieter... unless you have a big-block with a set of glasspacks or something.

/\
OK Capt, I have a small razor scooter that I let the battery die. Used it last year for pottie runs. IT is a 12v.. So I'm charging up a car battery now to test your idea. Wont feel to bad if it blows. godammit
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:15 pm

If you used two 12-volt batteries in series to get your 24 volts, you could un-hook them and charge them at the same time from a car with 2 sets of cables, one to each battery...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:30 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:If you used two 12-volt batteries in series to get your 24 volts, you could un-hook them and charge them at the same time from a car with 2 sets of cables, one to each battery...

/\
That's the plan. the only place to find 24v. battery are air planes. to much$$. That is where i will have to go for light bulbs for nite running. Lucky for me my xboss is a plane owner. The camp this year will be all 12v.light and sound. Some will be inverted to 110ac.
unjonharley

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:31 pm

Jesus...

hope it's worth it when you get done with this little game of Telephone...

is this little mosquito going to pull a battleship, or just your lazy ass?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:46 pm

ring ring ring "Hello?"
"Hi, Unjonharley, it's me, Captain Goshdarnit."
"Hi, Captain, how are you?"
"Oh, I'm fine... how's your scooter coming along?"
"Well, I'm still working on a battery setup."
"Really? Well I have a few ideas for it."
"Gee, I'd like to hear them."
"Well, if you hook up two 12-volt batteries in series to run your 24-volt scooter, you'll be able to charge them from your car by simply unhooking them and using a set of jumpers to each one."
"I was thinking the same thing!"
"Great... well, I gotta go now, talk to you later."
"O.K., goodbye."
"Bye!"
click.
Captain Goddammit

Return to Experiences at Burning Man