*The Best Water Storage?*

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:57 am

I hate how stale water tastes after it's been frozen and thawed.

Hence, there is no one "best" solution.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 am

Dasani doesn't change flavor after being frozen.

Don't know if it's the salt in it or what ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

segregated water

Postby Rusted Iron » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Utility water goes in basic 5 gallon containers, from the camping section of any big box store. Filtered drinking water goes in the clear blue BPH-free alhambra-type containers. We take along a couple of empty utility bottles, to haul the gray water out.

Every year, we take less and less water. Every year, we have water left over.
Rusted Iron

Re: segregated water

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Rusted Iron wrote:Every year, we take less and less water. Every year, we have water left over.

Some year you'll achieve the perfection of bringing no water, and having some left over.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Optic » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

If you're not sure what kind of container to use, you can always mix and match. That way you can try all of them out. So next year, if water container *blank* didn't work for you, you can not use that kind, and get more of whatever you liked.

I've got a couple of those big aquatainer cubes, some of the 5 gallon drums, and some 2.5 gallon suitcases. We're planning on using the big cubes first and using them to haul out gray water. Once those're empty, using the suitcases (cus they've got spigots), and using the drums to refill them throughout the week.
Optic

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:29 am

We are using 5 gallon buckets with lids for utility water and 5 gallon water cooler jugs for purified drinking water. A dozen of each is a half-ton of water. But these are for the camp shower and various activities. We figure whatever grey water we have will go back into the buckets. The buckets will also be used for tie-downs, counter weights and bench seating supports.

We have the stand with spigot for the bottles. That will be exclusively for drinking and cooking. But we'll also have the 40 gallons in the RV for personal use.

I would much rather have too much water than any other alternative!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby MistressSybs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:22 pm

AntiM wrote:
kman wrote:Eric, when you say "2.5 gal suitcase" do you mean the "2.5 gal rectangular jugs with handles" that you get at the local grocery store, like these?

Or are you referring to some aftermarket 2.5 gal water container that you buy separately and fill yourself?

Two of these fit in a milk crate. In a pinch, the empties cut in half make a good foot bath.

Anti M! You're a gem! I didn't think about this and was considering trying to find some kind of tub for a foot bath! Pure Genius! Snark is always appreciated but this is the real reason I live on this forum!!!! AWESOME tips like this one!
MistressSybs

Postby burner von braun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi,

I have several 7gallon Reliance blue gerry cans ready to go, and hadn't given water source much thought until now. I plan on staying at a Reno motel Sunday..and figured I would fill them there. Is regular sink tap water ok for drinking, or does it need filtering, or do all of you veterans buy "drinking water" instead?
burner von braun

Postby bluesbob » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is only good in California, but...

At Costco they have Arrowhead water in two 2.5 gallon plastic containers, and those containers are in a box. Each container has a handle on the top and a spigot. The cost is around $4.29.

I'm bringing two boxes, maybe more, for cooking and drinking, and two 7 gallon containers filled from the garden hose for cleaning and bathing.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Many people bring water from taps and hoses. I wouldn't mess with the 7 galloners because they are heavy. I can manage a suitcase, but that's about my limit. And I don't want to deal with anything too awkward.
I actually think the whole bottled water thing is a huge scam, and they are selling tap water at outrageous prices. I carry my own stainless steel water bottle so there's little danger or my getting thirsty away from home and buying water. But at the burn I find it has it's place. It's also in the earthquake supply.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 am

CapSmashy wrote:We're gonna run with the 7 gallon aquatainers this year,

In price shopping them, we found that the evil empire of Wal Mart is selling them in the $8 range vs $16 to $20 everywhere else for them.

I built out the bed deck in the bus with these specifically in mind and we can ride up to 21 of them in their own little hidden space centered over the rear axle to carry the weight.

We used these last year. The square shape maximized volume of water per packing space. The square shape also makes them stack in the car very well.
We figure one Cube per person for drinking (about a gallon a day), plus 2 extra for washing and cleaning.
Though I've never thought about the idea of one getting contaminated. So I'll probably grab some of the suite cases, too. Even if we don't use the suite cases they can sit for a long time in the basement.
Its also good to hear that they are cheaper at wack-mart.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Civil defence used to recomend unrinsed gallon clorox bottles for long term drinking water storage. If I was concerned about contamination Id add a little bleach to my containers.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:31 pm

I think a combo of the 7gallon storage containers along with the more versatile 2.5 suitcases might work well for me.

Hmmm, bleach...yummy! I know they make those purification tablets, anyone use those? I just hope to avoid ending up with a belly ache on playa from consuming "amoebas gone wild" in my water! I gather that doesn't occur often then.
burner von braun

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 pm

MistressSybs wrote:
AntiM wrote:
kman wrote:Eric, when you say "2.5 gal suitcase" do you mean the "2.5 gal rectangular jugs with handles" that you get at the local grocery store, like these?

Or are you referring to some aftermarket 2.5 gal water container that you buy separately and fill yourself?

Two of these fit in a milk crate. In a pinch, the empties cut in half make a good foot bath.

Anti M! You're a gem! I didn't think about this and was considering trying to find some kind of tub for a foot bath! Pure Genius! Snark is always appreciated but this is the real reason I live on this forum!!!! AWESOME tips like this one!

I think 3 of those should fit into a milk crate...2 parallel and one perpendicular...tests coming soon.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

a fuckload of water bottles.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 pm

My Friend, Liz Estrada, went off on a rant last year about water bottles, and individual containers, and whatnot.

to re-iterate:

50,000 burners x an estimated 3 water bottles per diem times 7 equals over a million pieces of empty plastic.

screw the mathuraccuracy, its an approximate, but you see what i mean.

if you STORE your water in large containers and then carry ONE special bottle or Bota or Bolo or canteen or whatever rocks your hydration world around and keep Re-Filling and RE-Using it it would like be, so cool, man....

i told you, i went native.

now drink the the totally groovy koolaid and please, shut the fuck up.

peace.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Snow » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't bring water and just lap some from the neighbor's evap pond when I get thirsty.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

so that's what a lap pool is for..........thanks.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Re: a fuckload of water bottles.

Postby zachass » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:My Friend, Liz Estrada, went off on a rant last year about water bottles, and individual containers, and whatnot.

to re-iterate:

50,000 burners x an estimated 3 water bottles per diem times 7 equals over a million pieces of empty plastic.

if you STORE your water in large containers and then carry ONE special bottle or Bota or Bolo or canteen or whatever rocks your hydration world around and keep Re-Filling and RE-Using it it would like be, so cool, man....

peace.

abso-fucking-lutely this.

please use less plastic when you can folks.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it actually works
zachass

Postby Bling » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:My Friend, Liz Estrada, went off on a rant last year about water bottles, and individual containers, and whatnot.
to re-iterate:

Good point in general--water bottles SUCK, but did anyone in this thread talk about individual ones? I thought the smallest we were talking about was 1 gallon containers, and those are recyclable.
Bling

Postby kman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 pm

zachass wrote:

to re-iterate:

peace.

abso-fucking-lutely this.

please use less plastic when you can folks.

Or if you must, buy Comet Water instead of other brands. The bottle is 100% recycled plastic!

http://www.cometwatercompany.com/

I met the CEO the other day at Costco, he said there's a decent chance Costco is going to start carrying them. That would rock.
kman

Postby teardropper » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 am

That's what I use, but mostly because I have them. I only need them for drinking water and use a pump I got at Northern for about $4. If I had to haul out greywater I would think about it, as I am not sure about getting them clean enough for drinking again. I would probably use bathing only jugs and put greywater back in them to haul out, cleaning very thoroughly, not necessarily sterilizing. That's what I am recommending for my tent camping virgins.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Joshatdot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:31 pm

CapSmashy wrote:We're gonna run with the 7 gallon aquatainers this year,

In price shopping them, we found that the evil empire of Wal Mart is selling them in the $8 range vs $16 to $20 everywhere else for them.

I built out the bed deck in the bus with these specifically in mind and we can ride up to 21 of them in their own little hidden space centered over the rear axle to carry the weight.

I have 2 of these, for drinking & utility, and I have (2) 1L & (2) 500mL Camel Back drinking bottles/containers.
Joshatdot

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Postby danibel » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Last year I bought a combo of containers, one gallon, suitcases, and two-five gallon water bottles. We also filled our 5 gallon solar shower with tap water at home (it didn't leak but we had lots of fun figuring out how to hang it in the cargo van so it wouldn't). The one gallons were great for carting back grey water (make sure you get SCREW top lids, not the easy off lifter ones!). The 2.5 gallons were great for kitchen use and refilling the stainless steel water bottles. The 5 gallon containers were never opened and unfortunately "lifted" on Sunday night because they were left too close to the road and too far from camp after some campmate vehicles departed before the temple burn.

My bike basket fits a one gallon container and my playa bag perfectly for treks out and about. I bought a camel back but I am not sure how much use it will get as I didn't have one last year.

And this year I am sure I will bring to much water, but that is OK. I would rather have to much, than not enough.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:59 pm

is 1.5 gallons per day per person bullshit? i was just calculating the water for our camp and i dont think we used nearly that much water in previous years. then again i only shower twice so maybe we didnt shower as much as everyone else does?
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby geekster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:39 pm

"I hate how stale water tastes after it's been frozen and thawed."

Yeah, you need to shake it up after to get air back into the water. Really, you can taste the difference. It is also why distilled water sucks too, until you shake some air into it.

I use a barrel for shower water and 2.5 gal suitcases. I end up with extra that I have to dump out but I keep bringing it because we adopt strays from time to time who don't have any.

The 1.5/day gallon rule is a good one IF you are only going to drink your own water. But people drink stuff offered by other people so you don't actually consume that much of YOUR water even if you bring that much. Keep in mind that you might be consuming liquids from other sources.

One thing you should keep in mind. And this is particularly true with shower water or water kept in barrels. Legionella THRIVES in water that is above 80F and is found naturally in soils and dust. It also causes a much less severe disease called (no shit) Pontiac fever. Pontiac fever is more like a bad cold or flu. Ever have people complain about a really bad cold when they get home from the playa? You get it from breathing the mist from the shower water. It is common also in people's homes where the hot water heater is set to a temperature that is too low to kill it. 130 at the tank, 120 at the tap.

So if you have water in barrels for showering (NOT for drinking), treat it with some bromine pool tablets. It doesn't stink like chlorine but kills the bacteria just the same.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:45 pm

teardropper wrote:
That's what I use, but mostly because I have them.

Yee-ha! Don't buy it if you have it already = is less waste
8)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Casilias » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

[quote="burner von braun"]I think a combo of the 7gallon storage containers along with the more versatile 2.5 suitcases might work well for me.

Hmmm, bleach...yummy! I know they make those purification tablets, anyone use those? I just hope to avoid ending up with a belly ache on playa from consuming "amoebas gone wild" in my water! I gather that doesn't occur often then.[/quote]

IF you are concerned with cleanliness of your water certain disinfection methods are very effective. The tablets that you can purchase (often in the camping section) are often iodine based and will discolor your water and may create flavor issues. These can easily be overcome with your favorite powdered drink beverage. I prefer some classic lemon-lime gatorade in low concentration just to mask flavor.

Using a chlorine based disinfection process is also very effective and also fiscally responsible.

Although the following may be accurate and effective, I take no responsibility the the cleanliness of anyone's water based on my calculations.

Let's say your camp has 25 gallons of water.
Provided I haven't F'ed up my quick math on this, to disinfect that at 1mg/L of available chlorine (which given a little bit a time, 30 minutes maybe, given the warm temperature of the water, should be ample to disinfect[longer and higher concentration if you want to unnecessarily sterilize])from Clorox.
A quick search for the Clorox bleach MSDS revealed it a concentration of 6.15% available Cl2.
You would need only about 0.4lbs of Clorox; a hair under one third of a gallon. (given a specific gravity of 1.1 at 70°F)
From the sounds of it, 25 gallons of water should be ample for 2 people for 7 days.
A properly labeled plastic container would make transporting the 40 or so ounces of chlorine bleach far easier than a whole gallon of bleach.
1mg/L should be below most people's taste thresholds unless you are a supertaster. Odors should be minimal and although potentially detectable should not be strong enough to adversely affect taste. Also, this concentration will not cause any bowel issues unless you are highly sensitive to Cl2.
If I remember correctly 1mg/L is one fourth the Federally mandated maximum chlorine concentration in drinking water.
Casilias

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks geekster and Casilias, I figure it is good to be aware of such things
burner von braun

Postby Casilias » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:46 pm

I may have been off by a power of ten there. 4 or so ounces sounds better than 40. Ugh too much work, not enough sleep, math is not functioning for me. I think you get the picture though.
Casilias

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes sir, and rest assured I would have checked the math; I have to admit at cursory look it raised an eyebrow
burner von braun

Previous

Return to Food & Drink