What're your favorite MREs?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

What're your favorite MREs?

Postby Talynt » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:13 pm

I've had a few types of MREs in the past, some decent and some terrible. Any suggestions on meals and brands to try?
Talynt
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:14 am

Postby Orchid » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Personally, I found the vegetarian MREs to be tastier and slightly less gag-inducing than the meat MREs - but there are a lot cheaper and far more delicious options for eating at Burning Man than that.

viewtopic.php?t=30984
User avatar
Orchid
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Image
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 pm

I used to shoot myself with my M203 to get my paws on a BBQ Meatballs MRE. Delish!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16353
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16353
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Mountain House is a good brand. I haven't tried many other brands, as the Mountain House are readily available. The Chicken a la king is pretty good.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
User avatar
illy dilly
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby kman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 pm

illy dilly wrote:Mountain House is a good brand. I haven't tried many other brands, as the Mountain House are readily available. The Chicken a la king is pretty good.


Mountain House is fast-to-prepare freeze-dried food, not an MRE. Stove to boil water is required for freeze-dried food, MRE's are Meals Ready to Eat. (Often better with some heating, but it's optional)

I used to be partial to the pasta MREs myself... tastes a lot like chef boy-r-dee!

(That said, mountain house food generally tastes a LOT better than MREs do)

Avoid the fish. *gag*
User avatar
kman
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Orchid wrote:Personally, I found the vegetarian MREs to be tastier and slightly less gag-inducing than the meat MREs - but there are a lot cheaper and far more delicious options for eating at Burning Man than that.

viewtopic.php?t=30984


I love the "response vs avatar" relating to the above poster..............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25998
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:44 pm

kman wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Mountain House is a good brand. I haven't tried many other brands, as the Mountain House are readily available. The Chicken a la king is pretty good.


Mountain House is fast-to-prepare freeze-dried food, not an MRE. Stove to boil water is required for freeze-dried food, MRE's are Meals Ready to Eat. (Often better with some heating, but it's optional)

I used to be partial to the pasta MREs myself... tastes a lot like chef boy-r-dee!

(That said, mountain house food generally tastes a LOT better than MREs do)

Avoid the fish. *gag*

Good to know.
Never thought about the fact that you need boiling water so its not 'ready'.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
User avatar
illy dilly
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Orchid » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:06 pm

ygmir wrote:
Orchid wrote:Personally, I found the vegetarian MREs to be tastier and slightly less gag-inducing than the meat MREs - but there are a lot cheaper and far more delicious options for eating at Burning Man than that.

viewtopic.php?t=30984


I love the "response vs avatar" relating to the above poster..............


Avatar photo was taken after eating MREs for 3 weeks.
User avatar
Orchid
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Postby teardropper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:33 pm

illy dilly wrote:
I used to be partial to the pasta MREs myself... tastes a lot like chef boy-r-dee!

(That said, mountain house food generally tastes a LOT better than MREs do)



Chef Boy-R-Dee is a lot cheaper and if you put the can out in the sun on the playa it will get warmed up. All for less than a buck.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Clar-i-ty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:41 pm

I'll take your cheese wiz!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
User avatar
Clar-i-ty
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Sometimes Here, Sometimes There
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: What're your favorite MREs?

Postby Rommel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Talynt wrote:I've had a few types of MREs in the past, some decent and some terrible. Any suggestions on meals and brands to try?


The Chicken and Rice is very good. I had a 9 year old pack, and could tell no difference in taste. Stay away from anything that has fish.
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
User avatar
Rommel
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: California, US

Postby Rommel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:Image


Just know that MRE heaters produce Hydrogen gas/fumes once they are activated.
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
User avatar
Rommel
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: California, US

Postby kman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:50 pm

teardropper wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
I used to be partial to the pasta MREs myself... tastes a lot like chef boy-r-dee!

(That said, mountain house food generally tastes a LOT better than MREs do)



Chef Boy-R-Dee is a lot cheaper and if you put the can out in the sun on the playa it will get warmed up. All for less than a buck.


But there's no dessert, no hot chocolate, and no tobasco. :evil:

:wink:
User avatar
kman
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

Postby CLARKcon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Our nearby neighbor Mongoose gifted us some MRE's ---definitily the pasta (rotini inparticular) one's were tasty. Also the squeeze tubes of peanut-butter were a nice treat (high calorie/carb's for fuel, too :) !!)
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
User avatar
CLARKcon
 
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:58 am
Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 pm

To me MRE means "when my girlfriend makes me a sandwich".

Pretty tasty and sometimes I can get a "footrub" afterwards.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

kman wrote:Avoid the fish. *gag*

Hmmmph!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37472
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:26 am

Rommel wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:Image


Just know that MRE heaters produce Hydrogen gas/fumes once they are activated.

Great, anyone else want to play Hindenburg?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37472
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 am

/shakes head


Oh...the fishmanity
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby kman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
kman wrote:Avoid the fish. *gag*

Hmmmph!

Avoid the fish, not the fishy. :wink:
User avatar
kman
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

Postby Mulligan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 pm

The ravoli was my favorite but I found out they're not making them in Menu C anymore.

I had some hamburger buns leftover from the night before and made sloppy joes on bread with them. yum...

My least favorite was the vegetarian pesto pasta.

We bought tons again this year and have decided not to pack a stove and grill like we did last year. I have a dragonfly that we can use for boiling water if we need to, but we ended up loaning out the stove last year instead of using it ourselves last year.
Mulligan
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 am


Return to Food & Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests