Favorite gift to receive at home? :)

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Favorite gift to receive at home? :)

Postby Minxy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:31 pm

I've been punching census forms and one of the questions is, "what is your favorite gift to receive at Burning Man?"

I thought I'd toss it up here and see what folks here had to say. It seemed that about 90% of the forms I punched listed necklaces as their favorite, followed closely by hugs...then booze. :D
Minxy

Postby Sham » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm surprised a hand job didn't show up on the top 3.

Water, bacon, PBR, pancakes, dinner, a place to rest in the shade, a lift on an art car, glow in the dark stuff, a friendly conversation from a coherant person......
Sham

Postby Minxy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Amazingly, I didn't see hand job once! :D I was surprised too. :P No blowjobs either!

Weirdos. :P I saw lots of beer/love/hugs/friendship though. :D :D
Minxy

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:23 pm

My favorite past gifts have been necklaces, especially if cleverly handmade and if I've had a meaningful interaction with the giver, like a good conversation or a shared experience.

Also nice: the unexpected offer of a square meal or good cocktail.

Or: know-how or assistance.

All very different, all great memories.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Minxy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:53 pm

That's cool, Savannah. :)

I'm working on making necklaces this year. I love making jewelry although I need some practice. I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with different ideas and techniques. I hope I come up with some that people enjoy.
Minxy

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Patches. Pins for my hat. Necklaces. And yes, meals and hugs and rides and just rambling on stories.

I made hundreds of bead pendants in 2004 when I was sick. I finally have given the last of them out. Time for more?

I do give away a LOT of art. People love it, so that pleases me.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 pm

the only tangible schwag I keep out are a troll doll I got my first year from the "Adopt a troll" camp and the glass pendant from Fishy, both of which sit right in front of me on my desk. Everything else is in boxes and bring me smiles when I look at them, but I don't need to keep them out.

I generally give booze; this year I'm making a few custom pendants of the sort I usually sell for a chunk of change. A couple for people who mean a lot to me, one is being reserved to gift to That Person, whoever they are, who its right for.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Favorite gift to receive at home? :)

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Minxy wrote:I've been punching census forms and one of the questions is, "what is your favorite gift to receive at Burning Man?"

I thought I'd toss it up here and see what folks here had to say. It seemed that about 90% of the forms I punched listed necklaces as their favorite, followed closely by hugs...then booze. :D

Ha! I've been working on the Census project too. I've gotten two or three out of 300 or so that did list BJ's.
...but yeah, neclaces, hugs, stickers and pins seemed to be the favs!
Someone at Camp Cats, Cats, Cats gifted me some really cool pins last year. They were made from bottle caps but they had little sayings/pictures from the old Dick & Jane books. My favorite was "Jane sees Dick on the playa" I think one of the others says "See Dick pull his Dog on the playa" I still have them on my Camelback.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby bluesbob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:41 pm

I have no clue what to do. I'm artfully handicapped. I don't drink so it's odd to carry booze. So I thought I would bring a few cases of mixers and hand them out to various bars.

Oh...and walk around and give everyone friendly, meaningful, coherent conversation.
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby Sham » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 pm

bluesbob wrote:I have no clue what to do. I'm artfully handicapped. I don't drink so it's odd to carry booze. So I thought I would bring a few cases of mixers and hand them out to various bars.

Oh...and walk around and give everyone friendly, meaningful, coherent conversation.

The best way to approach this is, you don't have to gift anything if you don't want to. Be willing to help out if needed and you will be fine. If something really turns you on and you want to bring things to share, then go for it. It's not like Halloween where people expect something to be dropped in their bag!
If you find flashlights in the bargain bin at a store, consider that. Don't force yourself to find something, just see what developes.
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Shambala wrote:
bluesbob wrote:I have no clue what to do. I'm artfully handicapped. I don't drink so it's odd to carry booze. So I thought I would bring a few cases of mixers and hand them out to various bars.

The best way to approach this is, you don't have to gift anything if you don't want to. Be willing to help out if needed and you will be fine. If something really turns you on and you want to bring things to share, then go for it. It's not like Halloween where people expect something to be dropped in their bag!
If you find flashlights in the bargain bin at a store, consider that. Don't force yourself to find something, just see what developes.

And a lot of bars need the mixers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gidget » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I like the intangible gifts a lot... happening upon a really great performance is really up there. The best gift may have been stumbling upon one of the most excellent drag shows I've ever seen on the way back from the portapotties. :D
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:26 pm

bluesbob wrote:...Oh...and walk around and give everyone friendly, meaningful, coherent conversation.

I'd appreciate that one!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Eric wrote:...and the glass pendant from Fishy, both of which sit right in front of me on my desk.

I have a Fishy pendant on my bedroom mantle with a few other items. I had another in my truck on the rear view, but I had a brief encounter with a fellow at the local tractor supply place who it seemed appropriate to gift it to. After a conversation that continued into the parking lot with he and his wife, I knew the pendant had to be placed in his hand, so I went to the truck and pulled it off to give to him. He seemed to be genuinely moved and it gave him a big smile.

A real swell fellow.

Interesting how the things we put out into the world impact people who we may ever meet.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby teardropper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:34 pm

There was a ceramic arch out on the playa last year, and the artist had left a bucket of "coins", little fired clay rounds with BM 2009 on the front and the Man on the back. I took one and I like it. I keep it out.

I have some stickers and pins with my photos on them. I'll gift them.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Get Involved!