Compressed Natural Gas - delivery???

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Compressed Natural Gas - delivery???

Postby SunnyBelmont » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:16 pm

My camp mates and I have a chance to green our mutant vehicle by switching to a compressed natural gas vehicle. Only BIG problem is . . . can't just store CNG like diesel (in cans).

Does anyone know of a CNG delivery service? (like rural areas get propane)

Found the CNG station in Reno (google) but that is too far away to actually let us USE the vehicle during the week. (only make it there are back)
SunnyBelmont

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:39 pm

There are propane trucks on the playa. I'm not sure if they are there by appointment or if they will fill whomever. Of course I can't for the life of me remember which company it is. I'm sure someone will pipe up...One Eye perhaps??
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:42 pm

if you're vehicle's been approved, you might want to contact the DMV & see if there's an approved CNG vendor the Bmorg has.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 pm

I think CNG and Propane are two entirely different beasts.

I suggest doing some research to find out how far a tank of CNG will get you and then compare that to the hypothetical amount you want to be operating the MV. It may come down to hours of operation instead of miles driven.

Knowing that will allow you to make a decision regarding the necessity of refueling.

Make sure to have the <CNG> sticker on the back of the MV because CNG canisters are incredibly dangerous if their surroundings are on fire.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Yeah, CNG is methane, propane is well, propane. :)

CNG dosen't have as high of an energy density as gasoline or especially diesel, so you won't go as far on a "gallon" of CNG as you would with gasoline or diesel. You'd have to refuel more often.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:17 pm

... But, I've seen people convert rock crawlers etc to propane, maybe that would be easier to do than CNG?
mudpuppy000

Postby Token » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 pm

You want to go diesel --> CNG?

Why?

Doing this reduces fuel efficiency quite a bit, despite the high compression ratio.

IMO, much easier to go diesel --> bacon grease.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:11 pm

"Green" your mutant vehicle? Shut the hell up. No one NEEDS a mutant vehicle, if you really gave a shit about being green for real and not just in the feel-good artificial way you'd simply not HAVE a mutant vehicle.

Having a truck drive out to the playa to fill your CNG is a net increase in total emissions.

Just drive the goddamm thing. If you really want to make a difference, green your transpo for the other 51 weeks and forget about this extremely insignificant thing.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby SunnyBelmont » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Thank you everybody for the speedy replies. Agreed, CNG is not same as propane. (that would have made my life easier)

[quote="Token"]You want to go diesel --> CNG?
Why?
Doing this reduces fuel efficiency quite a bit, despite the high compression ratio. [/quote]

There is no conversion, there are two vehicle options. Agreed CNG isn't the best fuel for vehicles however, since the USA has lots of and lots of it, it would keep us from invading foreign countries and drilling for oil in a mile of water until we figure out what is best.

Might just have to go diesel, but the CHG bus is so much better!

P.S. not trying to start a political debate just looking for some CNG delivery on the playa
SunnyBelmont

Postby phil » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 pm

> P.S. not trying to start a political debate just looking for some CNG
> delivery on the playa

Very good response. Thank you very much.
phil

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:39 pm

SunnyBelmont wrote:Agreed CNG isn't the best fuel for vehicles however, since the USA has lots of and lots of it
Judging by the number of LNG ports being planned, this may not be relevant.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Not sure what all that salt would do to the engine, but bacon biodiesel would be awesome. I'd ride behind just to smell the exhaust. :D
mudpuppy000

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Not sure what all that salt would do to the engine, but bacon biodiesel would be awesome. I'd ride behind just to smell the exhaust. :D

LOL! That would be even better than the old leaded gas!(loved that smell as a kid, hmmm, explains a lot!) I guess I should have clarified on my earlier comment. A lot of the propane companies also deal in CNG, My neighbor is actually in tight with one of the propane suppliers out there. I'll ask him about it tonight.
LostinReno

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 pm

LostinReno wrote:There are propane trucks on the playa. I'm not sure if they are there by appointment or if they will fill whomever. Of course I can't for the life of me remember which company it is. I'm sure someone will pipe up...One Eye perhaps??

The "crack truck" is only for large installations and DPW infrastructure, you can't get refills for your motorhome or your BBQ cans from it.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LostinReno » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Wow, I didn't realize CNG was so hard to get. It looks like Sierra Pathetic Power is the only place you can get it in all of Northern Nevada.
LostinReno

Return to Shelter & Camping