Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Miles » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 am

token-
so are you saying you've used shade cloth without a hemmed/grommeted edge on the playa with success? No tearing issues where you attach it to your frame?
Miles

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:57 am

Orchid wrote:That's going to be gorgeous, Emily!! *applause*

Last night I made a hat out of some silver quilted fabric I had laying around. It looks like a tea cozy. A head cozy, perhaps?

Do any of you have any advice/patterns for making a boot cover? I want to make furry barbarian-looking covers for My Sweet Love's boots, but I'm having trouble with making a pattern.
Silver head cozy...sounds excellent!

Do you mean these?

I know lots of people have them so there must be a pattern out there. I would guess they are like regular leggings with elastic at the top but the bottom looks open. It looks just like a tube of faux fur with elastic at the top but I'm just guessing as I've never been able to examine any.

There is a detailed conversation about this on Tribe:
http://playaliciousplaywear.tribe.net/t ... 834a3d25b9

I'm thinking of making some out of pleather and have been studying gaiters at the sporting goods store. they either have elastic, a drawstring, or a strap & buckle at the top (to go just below the knee) and there's usually a strap at the bottom that goes under the boot to hold it down.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:03 am

Some helpful info about shade cloth : http://www.gemplers.com/tech/shdcloth-faq.htm
EmilyD

Postby jella » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 am

answer to the boot cover.. meant to quote

Basic trapizoid pattern.. Narrow at the top then the bottom cut to your preferred length. add a stretch fabric or elastic to the top. I'm a big fan of use what you have hehe. 1 seam and your good to go :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Orchid » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks amigos! I was thinking more actual boot-shaped (like giant spats, I suppose) vs. standard fuzzy leg-warmer shape.

Of course, it would be way easier to just make fur bell-bottom legwarmers and strap them down with leather thongs. I shall think on this.
Orchid

Postby Minxy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 pm

I love this thread. I wish we had a crafting section too!

Thanks for that awesome link. I am going to make a hat now to match my coat. :)

And I just sew my fur by hand. I'm scared to try it in a machine, lol.
Minxy

Postby darcitananda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi all. I have a pretty stupid question (and I swear I am not a troll) but is there a purpose to the boot covers? Is it purely decorative? Is it for extra warmth? Or to protect your shoes from dust? I am a virgin to BM (but not to camping in the desert, or radical self-reliance), so go easy on me. :) Thanks in advance!
darcitananda

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Um, yes?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jella » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Like she said hehe.
No stupid questions here. They are warm..they keep your boots a little cleaner and they look bitchin. 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Minxy wrote:I love this thread. I wish we had a crafting section too!

Thanks for that awesome link. I am going to make a hat now to match my coat. :)

And I just sew my fur by hand. I'm scared to try it in a machine, lol.
You should be able to glue it down with 100% silicone as well (note to non-sewers). It is my adhesive of choice for damn near everything.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:04 pm

jella wrote:Like she said hehe.
No stupid questions here. They are warm..they keep your boots a little cleaner and they look bitchin. 8)
Plus they probably help keep your legs protected from stinging, playa dust in a storm. I'm a burgin too darcitananda so you're not alone in asking questions. Welcome!
EmilyD

Postby darcitananda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Um, yes?

Haha, perfect. Ok, it's starting to make sense; that is where you can stash your Clif bar, or mag light or lube, or you can use them to dust off your windshield before driving home, to upcycle as a jacket for your weiner doggie when you get home...
darcitananda

Postby Peacebandchick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 pm

EmilyD wrote:
Plus they probably help keep your legs protected from stinging, playa dust in a storm. I'm a burgin too darcitananda so you're not alone in asking questions. Welcome!

burgin here too! Getting all the need to have to survive stuff together. Now just trying to piece some costume-y stuff together. I've made cloth leg warmers that bell out. They are awesome. I use the drawstring method. seams the easiest and most effective. At least for me.
Peacebandchick

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Peacebandchick wrote:
EmilyD wrote:

burgin here too! Getting all the need to have to survive stuff together. Now just trying to piece some costume-y stuff together. I've made cloth leg warmers that bell out. They are awesome. I use the drawstring method. seams the easiest and most effective. At least for me.
Welcome Peacebandchick. Do you have a photo of your creation?
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:17 pm

I thought I should post here instructions on how to make a Shemagh (Eastern-style head/face scarf) for dust protection. It's quite easy even if you don't have a sewing machine.

Most lightweight cotton fabrics are 45" wide. 1 yard = 36".

* Buy 1.25 yards of a thin, 100% cotton fabric. You can get a wild print or go for solid colors. Just make sure it's really sheer/thin so you don't get too hot in it.

* Wash the fabric, and dry in the dryer, to shrink it down and get the sizing out of it.

* Iron it out.

* Fold the raw edges down twice (preferably 1/4" & 1/4" again) and sew it down. If you don't know how to sew you can use fabric glue or iron-on adhesive (available at fabric & craft stores) to seal the twice-folded down edges so the fabric won't unravel.

Here are instructions for one of the many ways to tie a Shemagh:

http://www.hooperssurplus.co.uk/shop/im ... emaghs.how. gif
EmilyD

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jH_Fn62I-U[/youtube]
Sham

Postby EmilyD » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:43 am

[quote="Shambala"][/quote] And there's another way. There seem to be as many ways to tie them as there are regions where they're used.
EmilyD

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:04 am

EmilyD wrote:You should be able to glue it down with 100% silicone as well (note to non-sewers). It is my adhesive of choice for damn near everything.

I hadn't thought of that! I refuse to wear fake-fur clothing, but I want to add some to my bike. That might help. Thanks Emily!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:09 am

EmilyD wrote:And there's another way. There seem to be as many ways to tie them as there are regions where they're used.

I like to tie mine in the "jihad" formation and scare people. It works best in crowded shopping malls! :shock:
Sham

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:10 am

darcitananda wrote:that is where you can stash your Clif bar, or mag light or lube,

You'll probably want something else to stash those in. A backpack, a Podbelt, a utilikilt, something on those lines.

I've used a Podbelt for years and love it. I'm gifting one of my old ones to a friend who's a virgin this year & getting myself a new belt to fit my larger waist (damn this aging body!). Some people don't like the weight on their hips, but I can't stand the heat of a backpack so you figure what works best for you.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby EmilyD » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:31 am

Eric wrote:
darcitananda wrote:that is where you can stash your Clif bar, or mag light or lube,

You'll probably want something else to stash those in. A backpack, a Podbelt, a utilikilt, something on those lines.

I've used a Podbelt for years and love it. I'm gifting one of my old ones to a friend who's a virgin this year & getting myself a new belt to fit my larger waist (damn this aging body!). Some people don't like the weight on their hips, but I can't stand the heat of a backpack so you figure what works best for you.

I bought a cheap belt (Target) with lots of open weave and I'm adding caribeeners on the sides to clip my stuff (coffee mug, bamboo eating utensils, water bottle, etc.) when I don't want to carry my backpack.
EmilyD

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:00 pm

EmilyD wrote:I bought a cheap belt (Target) with lots of open weave and I'm adding caribeeners on the sides to clip my stuff (coffee mug, bamboo eating utensils, water bottle, etc.) when I don't want to carry my backpack.

Test your belt before relying on it!

I did a similar thing my first year (a regular belt with a pouch clipped to it) and it was very uncomfortable and the pouch started causing the belt to sag. I resorted to using my backup backpack after the first day.

If the belt is cheap you need to make sure it can hold the weight of the carabiners with your mugs & bags attached. You might want to reinforce it where you're putting the clips, as well as making sure the belt doesn't "curl" where you clip.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby EmilyD » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Eric wrote:
EmilyD wrote:I bought a cheap belt (Target) with lots of open weave and I'm adding caribeeners on the sides to clip my stuff (coffee mug, bamboo eating utensils, water bottle, etc.) when I don't want to carry my backpack.

Test your belt before relying on it!

I did a similar thing my first year (a regular belt with a pouch clipped to it) and it was very uncomfortable and the pouch started causing the belt to sag. I resorted to using my backup backpack after the first day.

If the belt is cheap you need to make sure it can hold the weight of the carabiners with your mugs & bags attached. You might want to reinforce it where you're putting the clips, as well as making sure the belt doesn't "curl" where you clip.
I appreciate your learned advice Eric. I will test it.
EmilyD

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:17 pm

EmilyD wrote:I appreciate your learned advice Eric. I will test it.

I didn't have eplaya before my first trip, and even though I went with seasoned pro's a lot of the little things got missed (like bring more than one pair of shoes, no matter how comfortable you think they are!).

I love the things I can learn on this board, and I think most of us are here to help each-other out.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby EmilyD » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Eric wrote:
EmilyD wrote:I appreciate your learned advice Eric. I will test it.

I didn't have eplaya before my first trip, and even though I went with seasoned pro's a lot of the little things got missed (like bring more than one pair of shoes, no matter how comfortable you think they are!).

I love the things I can learn on this board, and I think most of us are here to help each-other out.
This place has been a wonderful gift. As a burgin, I am so grateful to all the wonderful folks who've been generous enough to answer our questions (sometimes over and over.) THANK YOU ALL!!!
EmilyD

Postby Orchid » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Show & tell!

Fuzzy hats:

Fuzzy boots:

Custom crocs (before & after):
Orchid

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 am

Eric wrote:I hadn't thought of that! I refuse to wear fake-fur clothing

/high five
C.f.M.

Postby slvrnmph » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:07 am

Look for knits when checking out materials. Knits don't unravel when they are cut, so you don't have to worry about sealing the edges to prevent your costume from mooping.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:16 am

slvrnmph wrote:Look for knits when checking out materials. Knits don't unravel when they are cut, so you don't have to worry about sealing the edges to prevent your costume from mooping.

I've yet to try out this idea

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=333544.0
C.f.M.

Postby slvrnmph » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:17 am

Also I went to a Beverly's craft store yesterday and they had all Simplicity patterns on sale for $1.99 for the entire month of July. Simplicity has a reversible fleece jacket pattern that looks really simple and good for the classic burner fur jacket, so if you have a Beverly's in your area you should check if they have this sale going on as well.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear