biking to the burn/early arrival

biking to the burn/early arrival

Postby nixos » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Howdy! I'm figuring out the logistics of riding my bicycle to burning man this year and have been speaking to an individual who did this very same thing three years ago. He informed me that, quite possibly, the most important aspect of doing this is to obtain an early arrival pass in order to bypass the onslaught of the main traffic on the 447 which will occur on sunday. I was hoping to obtain an early arrival pass from a theme camp out there that might need an extra person. I'll definitely work hard helping you build your camp and would get there on friday the 27th...or earlier if you would need me to! So if this seems like a possibility to any camp, let me know!
thank you kindly!

Nico Molinari
atheorem@hotmail.com
spagett!
nixos

Postby Playa Foot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Highway 447 will not be any wider the week before the event. It still will be heavily travelled, narrow with no shoulders. There are very few bicycle friendly roads between Black Rock City and Santa Rosa.
Playa Foot

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 pm

If there is a bicycle person blocking the lane and I have to make a choice between having a head-on collision with a vehicle or hitting said bicycle, well... the choice is easy.

I don't swerve for rabbits either.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Token » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:26 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:If there is a bicycle person blocking the lane and I have to make a choice between having a head-on collision with a vehicle or hitting said bicycle, well... the choice is easy.

I don't swerve for rabbits either.

How about choosing the breaks and slowing down 'till it's safe to pass?

I think that's written somewhere in the rulebook.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm

I know all about the rules, people hit cows, horses and other wildlife for the same exact reasons.

14,000 lbs of RV with trailor is not easy to stop when the hills are rolling/blind corner and you don't see this situation coming.

Plus, even if we do manage to skim by the biker, he/she could easily be pulled into the trailors path by the "swoosh" of the RV's wind.

my point is, if I HAVE to make the choice, the biker is going to be hurt or killed, and I will have a ticket in my possession.

100 miles of "no shoulder' bike riding, combined with tens of thousands of hippies driving overloaded vehicles=recipe for disaster.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Get a ride from Wadsworth for you and your bike.
OED is RIGHT, HWY 447 in no place for a bike.
Even coming in early with the theme camps the traffic is fairly heavy.
Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby Token » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 am

Ticket?

I hope you never come to that choice.

Hitting a steer is a $1500 ticket. Hitting another human being while they are using the road legally and your unable to stop ... You'd be lucky to get away with a simple civil suit it not manslaughter and the few years in prison it brings.

Taking a life is easy, living with the aftermath is hard.
Token

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:57 am

BM Ticket...i think ;)
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:22 am

I can't imagine, have that much "faith in the Universe" to ride a bike to BRC anywhere near the time of the event.........
egad........with some of the people I've seen driving there, having limited skills, at best, driving marginal vehicles, which are overloaded and sleepy/altered drives to boot?

I've noted somewhat of a "trail" along the road out there, maybe suitable for a mountain bike.........but, to try to use the pavement...........I dunno.

maybe test your luck by kicking a hornet nest and seeing if you don't get stung.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Token » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:08 am

447 is not the only road in. There is the road that runs east of the lake.
Token

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 am

East of the Lake?
Lake Winnemucca ?
You talking about Jungo ?
That doesn't even make sense if he is coming from CA.
oneeyeddick

Postby alt12 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:51 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I know all about the rules, people hit cows, horses and other wildlife for the same exact reasons.

14,000 lbs of RV with trailor is not easy to stop when the hills are rolling/blind corner and you don't see this situation coming.

Plus, even if we do manage to skim by the biker, he/she could easily be pulled into the trailors path by the "swoosh" of the RV's wind.

my point is, if I HAVE to make the choice, the biker is going to be hurt or killed, and I will have a ticket in my possession.

100 miles of "no shoulder' bike riding, combined with tens of thousands of hippies driving overloaded vehicles=recipe for disaster.

huh, what about a motorcycle rider driving kinda slow? What about a wreck in the road? A broken down car? Where do you draw the line between who you run over and who you don't? I'm just wondering if you are an asshole that hates bicycles or really feel that all objects that block your path or -gasp!- slow you down deserve to be destroyed?

FYI, if you did run over the bike, he would be dead but you would be in jail for manslaughter....

FYI #2, I've biked across this country and back (+6000 miles) and had big rigs, RVs, small rigs, coal mining trucks pass me.... no big deal... they pass I keep going...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Token » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Sorry, west of the lake. 445 I think. Adds quite bit to the ride.
Token

Postby goathead » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:46 pm

alt12 wrote:huh, what about a motorcycle rider driving kinda slow? What about a wreck in the road? A broken down car? Where do you draw the line between who you run over and who you don't? I'm just wondering if you are an asshole that hates bicycles or really feel that all objects that block your path or -gasp!- slow you down deserve to be destroyed?

FYI, if you did run over the bike, he would be dead but you would be in jail for manslaughter....

FYI #2, I've biked across this country and back (+6000 miles) and had big rigs, RVs, small rigs, coal mining trucks pass me.... no big deal... they pass I keep going...

Maybe no big deal for you, but what about the people who you have scared the shit out of because of all of the sudden there you are around a corner, just over the crest of a hill? And well you DON"T EVEN KNOW IT...
Do you even care?

So just because maybe you can ride a bike on 447 you willing to risk SERIOUS INJURY and or FUCKING DEATH....
Just because you can...
A the person who kills you gets to spend the rest of THEIR LIFE RELIVING the HORROR of it , just because you can ride your bike...

Bikes are ok, but on HWY 447 durning the burn, you might as well play Russian Roulette.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:58 pm

alt12 wrote:huh, what about a motorcycle rider driving kinda slow? What about a wreck in the road? A broken down car? Where do you draw the line between who you run over and who you don't? I'm just wondering if you are an asshole that hates bicycles or really feel that all objects that block your path or -gasp!- slow you down deserve to be destroyed?

There is no room for them to drive by you. It's one lane and no shoulder.

It's a bad idea. Period.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:27 am

From Santa Rosa? I would come up to Chico and climb up 32 to Susanville. From there you can go out through Smoke Creek. It runs out to just north or Gerlach.

Several issues, it is 60 miles of rough gravel/dirt road. Many cars and bikes gets flats on it, be prepared to fix multiple flats. Make sure you know the route well in advance, it can be confusing and there is not a steady stream of vehicles to help, in fact, there are very few vehicles going that way.
Galaxo Magic

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 am

Token wrote:Sorry, west of the lake. 445 I think. Adds quite bit to the ride.

Thats smoke creek road and it goes towards Susanville. There are problems riding your bike to Susanville. I say - save the epic bike ride for another day.

Smoke creek is full of blind curves, dives dips, and potholes. IMHO its in worse shape than Jungo.

Jungo is now on Google Earth Street View if you want to see what it looks like.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 am

We have bikers here now asserting right of way in traffic.
Dumb as can be.

The most common last words here are "I have the right of way.", after
"Shoot me, motherfucker!"

The worst thing is secondary collisions.
True of motorcycle collisions too.

We had a bike on a very busy street hit by five different cars before traffic could be stopped.
Most didn't stop.
Some were prosecuted, though most were behind the first car and didn't see them until too late.
Some may not have realized they hit anyone.
Whatever you think, still dead.
Not only merely dead, really most sincerely dead.

I ride my bike on the sidewalk or a side street whenever possible.
3000 pound car, six pound bike frame, not too hard to figure out.

I have seen bikes on their way out there.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:30 am

gyre wrote:We have bikers here now asserting right of way in traffic.
Dumb as can be.

The most common last words here are "I have the right of way.", after
"Shoot me, motherfucker!"

The worst thing is secondary collisions.
True of motorcycle collisions too.

We had a bike on a very busy street hit by five different cars before traffic could be stopped.
Most didn't stop.
Some were prosecuted, though most were behind the first car and didn't see them until too late.
Some may not have realized they hit anyone.
Whatever you think, still dead.
Not only merely dead, really most sincerely dead.

I ride my bike on the sidewalk or a side street whenever possible.
3000 pound car, six pound bike frame, not too hard to figure out.

I have seen bikes on their way out there.

bikes are popular around here where I live.
It's amazing, how many bikers, will blow through a stop sign, not wanting to lose momentum, and then, yell at the car who almost hits them while proceeding lawfully through.........
or, on the windy, narrow bits of road, a pack of them will ride in the whole lane, so you can't get by......and be laughing.
And, when you do pass, give you the bird. Not even thinking of using the turnouts they ride by, again, not wanting to lose road speed.

I just made a stone for a biker, in just such a situation......very nice fellow, I have friends who knew him.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 am

There for a minute I forgot you make tombstones and thought you meant you made a stone for throwing at stupid bikers.

* trounces out to backyard in search of a nice tosser *
oneeyeddick

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 am

oneeyeddick wrote:There for a minute I forgot you make tombstones and thought you meant you made a stone for throwing at stupid bikers.

* trounces out to backyard in search of a nice tosser *

hahaa, marbles fly better.........and, a good "shooter" will crack a lens...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:53 am

Oh, lordy....... Don't ride yer bike on 447..... The road is barely large enough for two lanes of traffic, plus crazy fuckers (who wouldn't see you biking ahead) passing the slow moving vehicles. It's a friggin disaster waiting to happen. Even if you're not involved in the accident, you are putting the rest of us with big loads at risk........ TOTALLY NOT KEWL.......

Please re-think your plans............... :evil:
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:19 pm

If you stand by the road, in Nixon, and hold up a sign, I, for one, will stop, put your stuff in my truck, and drive you there.........

just don't do it!!!!!

or, ride 30' off the road........but, you best leave earlier.

just sayin'.

*edit*
oh yeah, stand where someone can get all the way off the road, to pick you up. and, before the road gets narrow.

a 60' pull out, min.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Playa Foot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:48 pm

If you wish to take the Sand Pass or Smoke Creek routes let me know I can send you complete directions. A mountain bike would handle the road well, a road bike would not be suitable.
Playa Foot

please do the ride

Postby epic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 pm

nixos, please ride it and if these fucktards try to run you off the road get the license plate number for the sheriff.
epic

Postby goathead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 pm

We are trying to help him decide to not do something stupid,
Hwy 447 during the Burn is no fucking place for bikes.
No one here wants to see him hurt or for that matter hurt him.

Pull your fucking head out of your ass.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm sorry to be snarky, but is your last name "fail" by any chance?

Anyone riding their bike to BRC is taking a huge risk, and it's been pretty well spelled out. Those of us telling him NOT to do that do so with good reason. While you would avoid the huge amount of BRC traffic by getting an early arrival pass, you STILL have other traffic on that road - like the US Gypsum trucks.

can you predict the winds on 447? You seem to think that someone is deliberately out to hit this guy - what about the USG trucks running doubles flying 447 at 65-70? Or someone blowing out a tire next to you. Or falling asleep at the wheel and plowing you unintentionally.

Yeah, take the license number... this after getting killed from being blown off the road. Lotta good that'd do.

I have a different question -

How the hell are you going to put a weeks worth of survival gear, including water and food, on a bike? This was a topic brought up a LONG time ago, with reference to a motorcycle. On a motorcycle it's damn hard - on a bike? My guess is the rider would get turned around at the gate for not being properly prepared for the environment they are riding into. Sure, I've heard of people doing it - usually they have a backup plan, have an entire camp there to support them, etc.

Hell, it DOES sound like fun. But it is an activity that is inherantly risky (and being a bicyclist the rider should realize this) and may likely at best end up with the rider getting hurt or worse. The RIDER has the responsibility NOT to practice his activity in a manner which could cause harm to himself or others. I've seen people killed avoiding shit on 447.

Kamakazi Bunnies? Sorry, but knowing that riding a bike to BRC along 447 has a huge amount of risk (and it's spelled out pretty plainly here) puts the onus on 2 people - the bike rider, and the person who encouraged the person to undertake the dangerous act.

Smoke creek would be really pretty - but riding in high desert high heat conditions is STILL dangerous.

I would STRONGLY recommend not doing it. This from someone who is both employed in public safety AND has worked at the event for more than a year or 2. If not for your own safety - then that of the person who has to swerve off the road in high winds because you just got blown in front of them...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

aight!

Postby nixos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:28 pm

alright alright! enough already! haha. i understand the deliberation. just to let you all know, this HAS been done before...by MANY! i've talked to some of the coordinators of burning man and people who have done it in past years AND ridden on the 447. it truthfully doesn't even matter anymore... i got into nursing school so i can't even go to the burn anymore. have fun though! i'll see y'all there in 2012.
spagett!
nixos

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Congrats on getting into Nursing School (SRJC has one of the best in the country), sorry you won't be at the burn... why 2012? Why not 2011?

I know people who have ridden - like I said, they have had the infrastructure there to ride to, and like you now, they knew the risks. Never said it couldn't be done, just that it could be dangerous. If you decide to go, knowing the risks, then it's up to you.

Ciao... Susanna
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Token » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I just love the fact that folks who operate home built fire cannons, toss propane canisters into bonfires, burn and blow up anything and everything they can possibly imagine get their panties all up in a wad just because someone wants to ride a bike.

Fucking hilarious!

Can I bring a bunch of corks and stick them on your forks so you don't poke your own eyes out?

Poetry!
Token

Next

Return to 2010 Theme Camps