fractal camp growth

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

fractal camp growth

Postby typewriter » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:17 pm

I was invited and lived with a well developed camp my first years, but along with a few others felt like somethign was missing. I love them, and they provided a plush and
amazing experience for me.

But I was not fulfilling my own desires : to really be invloved with core desicions and designs. To be part of the creation process from the ground up, not just to enjoy the luxury of an experienced camp. Not just to be 'the guy who's in charge of tennis balls and dildos" or whatever!

I will be starting a new camp this year, along with some other experienced burners and a few virgins too. Its so exciting, and a different feeling than when I simply plugged myself into an existing framework. I'm excted to rethink some ideas that had become routine. I'm stoked to design my own home! Isn't that the point anyway?

It was hard to tell my family that I was going to move out, but when I did, I think others were helped because they saw that it wasn't going to kill anyone if we went off and 'did it for ourselves.

So like cells dividing, we break off, with nostalgia but no hard feelings. POP! A new camp is formed.

How did your camps form? Any similar experiences?
I pledge allegiance to the flame
Of the united camps of BlackRock
And to the autonomy for which it stands
One nation, under the influence
With liberty and dust storms for all
typewriter

Fractals!

Postby lizwiz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:40 pm

What is your new camps theme? Is it Fractal Camp?!!! I thought about doing a fractal camp. I love fractals. Life is a fractal. I thought it would be awesome to spread fractals to the masses. Your camp is probably not a fractal camp. you are probably just talking about how it is like a fractal to start a new camp. Fractals are still cool.

Smiles,
Liz
Smiles!

Ask me about Camp Israel!
lizwiz

Fractals!

Postby lizwiz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:42 pm

What is your new camps theme? Is it Fractal Camp?!!! I thought about doing a fractal camp. I love fractals. Life is a fractal. I thought it would be awesome to spread fractals to the masses. Your camp is probably not a fractal camp. you are probably just talking about how it is like a fractal to start a new camp. Fractals are still cool.

Smiles,
Liz
Smiles!

lizwiz

Postby Dork » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:20 pm

Last year, I camped with a group that was put together with the promise of a big project via a few craigslist postings. The project turned out to be slightly different than expected and the leader flipped out on the drive up, triggering the camp to split in half before I even got there.

The person who did the most work on the project gathered a few other drama-free folk from the old group and we're starting from scratch. So far, so good!

Camp splits between years are a completely natural occurrence. People initially get together out of convenience or random chance and after participating for a year or 10 they decide to do something different.

I've been with established camps where I didn't need to contribute much and I didn't care for it. I need something to work on, plans to spend the boring hours at work thinking about, supplies to scrounge for, etc. Just going and living on the backs of camp mates didn't float my boat.
Dork

Fractals!

Postby lizwiz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:19 pm

Smiles,
Liz
Smiles!

lizwiz

Postby typewriter » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:55 pm

Funny you should mention it... (three times;)

I'm completely obsessed with fractals in theory and in application to the structure of the universe.

I've been programming them (realtime mandelbrot / julia exploorers, plant and tree generators, clouds, IFS) to become interactive pieces which I will project around the inside of my dome. Even if just for my own entertainment.
typewriter

Postby lizwiz » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:56 pm

Sorry about the multiple posts, my computer was misbehaving. At least it looks good for people to see that there are already 6 posts.

Have you noticed how the universe is a fractal. That there is self similarity everywhere. I sometimes just close my eyes and see fractals.

Also, describe the universe and people as being part of the tree of life. i can see the branches everywhere and the connections...

I love clouds! Fractals are awesome because they can be used to describe the geometry of a cloud. I wrote a paper on whether weather can be described using fractal geometry in 9th grade.

Do you have a projector?!!! You are invited to join the Club Chai team of camp Israel. We would love to have fractals projected on the walls of club Chai. It would be an awesome addition to the club. It will add to your entertainment, and mine, and to all our special burningman guests that visit the club. What a gift!

Oh, I also studied a little fractal application to large scale structure in astronomy. Yep, it is there too.
Smiles!

lizwiz

New camp at BM 2004

Postby lizwiz » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:00 pm

I, too, am making it on my own this year. This year will be my 4th year and my first time leading a theme camp. I have already had a lot of people saying that I am being ambitious with what I want to accomplish. I am really excited and believe in myself that I am going to make it happen with the universe and the bm community helping. It is in hte BM spirit that things will happen if you will it to happen and put enough energy into it. Check out the Camp Israel post to learn about what I have planned.

Smiles, love, and shalom!
Liz
Smiles!

lizwiz

Postby typewriter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:52 pm

lizwiz yes I do have a few projectors.. But I'm still working on a playa proof yet highly cool-able design of a box for em. Without an RV its tough.
typewriter

Return to Experiences at Burning Man