Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Furrrrrry stuff

Postby gidget » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:09 pm

EmilyD wrote:You can also get some gentle-release blue masking tape and cover the edges (get the wide one) and then just peel it as you sew the pieces together. The tape will pull some of the fur off but at least it won't be flying all over your house and up your nose.

That's a really good tip! Never heard of doing that before!
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Re: Furrrrrry stuff

Postby EmilyD » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:01 pm

gidget wrote:
EmilyD wrote:You can also get some gentle-release blue masking tape and cover the edges (get the wide one) and then just peel it as you sew the pieces together. The tape will pull some of the fur off but at least it won't be flying all over your house and up your nose.

That's a really good tip! Never heard of doing that before!
Yeah you can actually sew through paper and tape but the tape may make your needle sticky. You can clean the gunk off with rubbing alcohol. ;-)
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 am

So nobody has ever sewn shadecloth?
EmilyD

Postby trystanthegypsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 am

nope, though it's on my lists of projects for the summer...
trystanthegypsy

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:09 am

trystanthegypsy wrote:nope, though it's on my lists of projects for the summer...
Okay so we'll experiment together then. ;-) Where are you getting yours? I found a pretty reasonable source: http://www.gemplers.com/shop/shade-cloth-b
EmilyD

Petticoats & Pettipants

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 am

In case anyone is looking for petticoats and pettipants here are some links. I'm not sure why they're all in the Northwest but they all have comparable prices and a big array of colors:

Portland, OR: http://carriebs.com/

Lynnwood, WA: http://www.petticoatjct.com/index.htm

Seattle, WA: http://www.dancecenter.com/
EmilyD

Postby trystanthegypsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 am

EmilyD wrote:
trystanthegypsy wrote:nope, though it's on my lists of projects for the summer...
Okay so we'll experiment together then. ;-) Where are you getting yours? I found a pretty reasonable source: http://www.gemplers.com/shop/shade-cloth-b

I will probably just get mine at a brick & mortar, shipping anything over the border is a HUGE pain. I just went over my budget, and I have to sell a bunch of my clothes or get some serious commissions before I can buy ANYTHING else for the burn... which makes it hard to work on projects without supplies. For now I just get to sew and work with what I have :( Being an unemployed gypsy clothing seller is hard...

Let me know how yours goes!
trystanthegypsy

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 pm

I covet the gold lame pettipants. I wonder if that's actually my size or if the charts lie. They so often do.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Token » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Gemplers is good if you buy from stock and need it in a few days. They are fast.

You can get much better prices for shade materials from other vendors if you can tolerate the 4 week lead times.
Token

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:48 pm

AntiM wrote:I covet the gold lame pettipants. I wonder if that's actually my size or if the charts lie. They so often do.
If they're by Sam's they run pretty true to size or even a bit large.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Token wrote:Gemplers is good if you buy from stock and need it in a few days. They are fast.

You can get much better prices for shade materials from other vendors if you can tolerate the 4 week lead times.
Token, how have you finished your shade cloth edges?
EmilyD

Postby Rice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I would actually love a whole sub-forum on costumes & crafting, so we could have specific topics. but then i'm a sewing geek.

my hints? Double stitch the shoulders on fur stuff- it's heavy.

CUT FUN FUR WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE!!!

from the back side. it's like 10000x easier and your living room looks less like you murdered a squirrel.

HAHAHAH!!!! As I wipe coffee off my screen... :shock:

For all the winy, demanding posts we see there is always a awesome jem!!

I can sew buttons. Mostly where they belong, sometimes to my pant leg. When it comes to costuming, I envy your skill...

Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

no sewing talents

Postby elmozap » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Arrrgghh. I have no sewing talents - guess I will wear beads and dangling earrings and regular clothes and call it done. Actually, if I bring fabrics, maybe I could trade someone who can sew a really nice footrub for a costume?
Elmozap
elmozap

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Some people do bring treadle machines out, but don't expect to find many who are going to want to spend hours of their burn making you a costume. There are costume camps and thrift stores and glues that work on fabric and seamstresses for hire.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Token » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 pm

EmilyD wrote:
Token wrote:Gemplers is good if you buy from stock and need it in a few days. They are fast.

I didn't. I got the clip things they sell for it. It is knit shade cloth so no hemming needed.

Btw, I don't use it on Playa. It's in my garden at home.
Token

Postby elmozap » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:10 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Some people do bring treadle machines out, but don't expect to find many who are going to want to spend hours of their burn making you a costume. There are costume camps and thrift stores and glues that work on fabric and seamstresses for hire.[/quote]

Not really thinking anyone would take time out for this - just yakking. So glad I am finally coming to my first burn that I lurk around all the forums reading.
Elmozap
elmozap

Postby jella » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am

this is sort of a double post but thought it would help folks out here.
I found a neat tutorial on tutu's wanted to share :)
http://hubpages.com/hub/TuTu-Tutorials
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:08 pm

No shit they're fast! I ordered it yesterday and it came today at no extra charge!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

jella wrote:this is sort of a double post but thought it would help folks out here.
I found a neat tutorial on tutu's wanted to share :)
http://hubpages.com/hub/TuTu-Tutorials
Excellent, thanks for posting this find jella!
EmilyD

Postby Token » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm

@emillyD

If you got the knit shade cloth and you want to hem them, easiest is to tape them. Gaffers tape, gorilla tape, duct tape, whatever type you like.

They really don't need taping since they are knit and won't run or shed. No moop.
Token

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Token wrote:@emillyD

If you got the knit shade cloth and you want to hem them, easiest is to tape them. Gaffers tape, gorilla tape, duct tape, whatever type you like.

They really don't need taping since they are knit and won't run or shed. No moop.

Whew, thanks for that info Token. You just saved me hours of work.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Token wrote:
EmilyD wrote:

I didn't. I got the clip things they sell for it. It is knit shade cloth so no hemming needed.

Btw, I don't use it on Playa. It's in my garden at home.

Yeah I got the clip thingies too. I will be using it at home after Playa use. We will hang it from the shade structure that will be keeping (hopefully) our little popup trailer cool.
EmilyD

Postby Token » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:31 pm

I love shade cloth. I had a 24' x 20' piece of 90% that went to the playa half dozen times and it works very well.

I ended up installing that piece over my deck and the temperature dropped 20 degrees there during the summer which in LA is 9 months long.

I also have a bunch of 40% aluminet I got from Gemplers over my heirloom tomato garden. Even better than the regular shade cloth. Much lighter. I built a framework out if 1/2 inch conduit for dirt cheap and the tomatoes love it.

For playa I use white camo netting doubled up. I got a bunch long ago and it has yet to fail me on the playa. 9 years of BRC, regionals and mojave camping and no rips or tears.

I love getting all geeky about my obscure hobbies. :)
Token

Postby EmilyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Token wrote:I love shade cloth. I had a 24' x 20' piece of 90% that went to the playa half dozen times and it works very well.

I ended up installing that piece over my deck and the temperature dropped 20 degrees there during the summer which in LA is 9 months long.

I also have a bunch of 40% aluminet I got from Gemplers over my heirloom tomato garden. Even better than the regular shade cloth. Much lighter. I built a framework out if 1/2 inch conduit for dirt cheap and the tomatoes love it.

For playa I use white camo netting doubled up. I got a bunch long ago and it has yet to fail me on the playa. 9 years of BRC, regionals and mojave camping and no rips or tears.

I love getting all geeky about my obscure hobbies. :)
I bought three 12'x20' panels to cover a 12'x20'x10' structure with 80% shadecloth. That should do us. Yeah, through this planning process I've become a equipment geek. I was already a sewing geek (like several people here) but I've always liked building stuff and making something out of nothing whenever possible. It's a satisfying challenge.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 pm

What's the best way to temporarily attach faux fur to a bike frame? I was going to use velcro and then zip-tie a string of lights on over it but thought I'd better check with more experienced folks.
EmilyD

Postby Orchid » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 pm

EmilyD wrote:What's the best way to temporarily attach faux fur to a bike frame? I was going to use velcro and then zip-tie a string of lights on over it but thought I'd better check with more experienced folks.

Skip the velcro and just use the zip ties. Two birds, one stone and all that stuff :)

Edited to add: make sure the "nubby" end of the zip ties are all pointed down so you don't scratch your legs on them when you're riding.
Orchid

Postby Token » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

I have had good results with the grommet pliers from craft stores. The ones that punch a hole, insert grommet, squeeze, done.

Granted, I'm a big guy, so the squeeze part is no problem.

I still have the fur on my bike from 2002. Same bike, same tires, never cleaned just oiled.
Token

Postby EmilyD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks for the tips Orchid & Token.

I started working on covering up my thrift store coat. Here's a sneak peek:

Oh and I wanted to share a lights source that I heard about on Tribe:

http://www.michaelslights.com/

I haven't used them but someone named Gwen recommended their stuff.
EmilyD

Postby Orchid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:12 am

That's going to be gorgeous, Emily!! *applause*

Last night I made a hat out of some silver quilted fabric I had laying around. It looks like a tea cozy. A head cozy, perhaps?

Do any of you have any advice/patterns for making a boot cover? I want to make furry barbarian-looking covers for My Sweet Love's boots, but I'm having trouble with making a pattern.
Orchid

Re: no sewing talents

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:30 am

elmozap wrote:Arrrgghh. I have no sewing talents - guess I will wear beads and dangling earrings and regular clothes and call it done. Actually, if I bring fabrics, maybe I could trade someone who can sew a really nice footrub for a costume?

Don't let that stop you. Seriously. I had no idea how to sew until about six months before my first burn. Headed west that year with a bunch of sarongs, a kilt, plus a soft-top camper for my truck made from tonneau cover material.

You can do it, you just gotta get started. Being nuts helps with tackling projects, too. It's easier than you think. Look at the clothes you are wearing, examine the ways they are put together. They can teach you how to sew.

Try Goodwill for machines. Older treadles work great and don't have to be plugged in. Mine is an treadle and I love it.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear