Dreads advice and tips please

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Dreads advice and tips please

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:26 pm

This is my 6th burn and want to try not real hard core dreads but my head covered in braids with maybe yarn, hemp, etc. braided with them. Never done my hair like this for burning man and looking for products or tips to help keep my head from stinking all week>>hee hee

I know I can't get my head completely clean but wanted to know the best solution...dry shampoo, oils, or just washing the best I can with shampoo and conditioner?

Let a girl know some tricks pretty please
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID
SuperNakedGirl

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:50 pm

i'm not sure about this but I've read somewhere that dreads/little braids can be a real bitch on your hair after the burn. Almost like your hair gets concreted from the playa dust and sweat all mixed together. I have naturally curly hair and just plan to put bigger braids in that i can take out and put up in a pony or a bun or just wear a hat or just let it go wild. I hate having my hair pulled and the thought of taking out little braids or dreads kind of scares me.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

hair, hair, long beautiful hair

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:25 am

for sure i am making big braids not small ones

and yes even not having braids of any kind, if you don't take care of your hair on the playa it can seriously need some hot oil treatment when you get home

I too have naturally curly hair and was hoping the big braid style would let my hair not get so tangled and wouldn't have to focus on it so much...
SuperNakedGirl

Postby gaminwench » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 am

I've braided my hair with colored extensions every year for 10 years (see avatar). My sister is my stylist, she owns a salon and knows her biz. I end up with about 50-60 braids total, which are put in 3 weeks before leaving, and stay in 'til the end of October. It takes a week or 2 for the braids to relax and be pliable for styling.
I wash once on the playa, focussing on the roots... diluted tea tree oil in a spray bottle relieves itchiness; yummy, thick body oil on the braids for good smells.
When I get home from the playa, I soak my head in a warm, soapy bath (a little vinegar in the water cuts thru the playa dust); then wash weekly.
To remove the braids, cut off the 'tails' below your hair end length, then use a pick (I love my nut pick) to un-braid from the bottom. You will notice LOTS of loose hair coming out -FREAK- this is due to normal hair loss that can't escape from your head while braided. Soak in the bath, then a hot oil treatment... you're good to go!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:37 pm

What she said..

The only thing is, I would NEVER leave my braids in that long. I never leave them longer than a 5 weeks.

Tea tree oil spritzer is awesome.

Have a friend hold your braids up, lean over an evap pond, and just rinse through your roots. I've never tried dry shampoo, but I'm putting my dreads back in soon, so maybe I'll give it a try :D
trystanthegypsy

Postby Chessna » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 am

How long does your hair have to be before putting in the colorful extensions? I would love to do this, but my hair will probably only be chin length by playa time.

I've made dreadfalls before and attached them to a headband, which allowed me to wash my hair (just take off the headband). Not to the playa, though... not sure if they wind would knock off the headband or not/
Chessna

Postby trystanthegypsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 am

That's more than enough- the bottom row of your hair will probably be prone to falling out, but 3 inches is long enough to braid dreads in. Thinner dreads are easier to braid in, but then you have to do more braids and it takes longer.

The falls would be fine as well, just secure them with clips :) the playa makes your hair really thick so they won't slip out.. heh heh.
trystanthegypsy

Postby Chessna » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:25 am

Woot, that's great news! Now comes the difficult part of trying to find a place to get them put in at. There's no way I could do that myself, my hands would fall off way through!
Chessna

Postby goathead » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:54 pm

wondering if this would work for a beard?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Goathead- it'll work. I don't think you can see it in my avatar, but the central part of my beard is about 8" & my sideburns are just slightly less. I keep the middle in elastic bands, and if I don't wash it every day it starts to dread, but not in a way I like.

For washing I use "No Rinse" shampoo- put it in, lather it up (doesn't need any water) and dry with a towel. Done.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby goathead » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks Eric
The last time I had a long beard on the playa it was a hassle.
Normally I shave it off in may and let it grow back, just didn't do that this year.
You coming back with the BRG, this year?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm

The Gazette? I was with Piss Clear, not them. Don't think my brand of snark would go with their style.

I'll be with BootieBRC, part of Fandango. Adrian, our fearless leaders and dj (along with the Mysterious D) was the founder of Piss Clear, so even though that paper's gone I'm still with the camp.

And I'm trying to decide if Kim Chee counts as a pickle for your Pickle Party.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Eric wrote:And I'm trying to decide if Kim Chee counts as a pickle for your Pickle Party.

*runs off to add Kim Chee to food list! Nom, nom, nom 8) *

Does anyone know anybody in the Reno area that does braids for a reasonable price? I've been asking around, is $150 normal?? :shock: I have long hair but it's super fine. I went without last year and it was hellish.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Yes, Lost, it's expensive; if you consider the amount of time it takes (mine takes 5-6 hours), multiply by an hourly wage (how much is a cut/color), it actually makes sense from the stylist POV. I justify by keeping mine in for 3 months (no styling, no cuts, less washing, bright fun colors to spread joy)...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Eric wrote:.

ABSOLUTELY not a pickle.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
Eric wrote:.

ABSOLUTELY not a pickle.

but it's pickled!

(you brine a veggie, I will pretty much eat it. And then drink the pickle juice. You put it in vinegar I will push it away.)

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby trystanthegypsy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 pm

LostinReno wrote:
Eric wrote:And I'm trying to decide if Kim Chee counts as a pickle for your Pickle Party.

*runs off to add Kim Chee to food list! Nom, nom, nom 8) *

Does anyone know anybody in the Reno area that does braids for a reasonable price? I've been asking around, is $150 normal?? :shock: I have long hair but it's super fine. I went without last year and it was hellish.

You guys need to teach your friends how to braid :) I have never paid for mine.
trystanthegypsy

Postby danibel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 pm

My niece just came home from the beauty school with 8 perfect corn rows for $17! My sister tipped the stylist $8 to make it $25 which I know is a huge tip but apparently the stylist was super awesome and kept Lola entertained the whole time.

I don't know how many beauty schools there are in your area but I thought perhaps you could call around and check the experience levels. It's just a suggestion =) The stylist my sister found had a lot of experience with my niece's type of hair and maybe it was luck, but maybe you will luck out too!
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 am

there was someone on the reno craigslist who is a stylist who was bartering services for burningman stuff or other. She had her ad under burningman. her ad said to call/text her cell #619-246-4779
She works at Salon 7-her name is Jenni J.
lucky420

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:26 am

Oooh, never thought about beauty schools! There's one down the street from my house, I'll have to check it out! I'll also give this Jeni a person a call, kind of odd that she has a San Diego phone number??
LostinReno

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:35 am

yeah but her ad said she was kind of new to Reno-probably just kept her old cell
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 am

p.s. Salon 7 is on Morril Ave (by Wells Ave) in the old firehouse station-used to have that big volkswagon spider on top of the building
lucky420

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

lucky420 wrote:p.s. Salon 7 is on Morril Ave (by Wells Ave) in the old firehouse station-used to have that big volkswagon spider on top of the building

Thanks 420, I'll give her a call! 8)
LostinReno

yea good tips

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:21 am

thanks for all the tips

Beauty schools are also good idea for hair

And was told a line of hair products called "olive oil" has some awesome sprays for dreads, braids, etc. Can get at local walgreens, rite aid, etc. My friend with dreads says there is a conditioning spray that releases itself with sun and smells wonderful
SuperNakedGirl

Re: Dreads advice and tips please

Postby bbyjcam_19 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Does anyone here make dread falls? Looking to get a cute pair for this upcoming year. :mrgreen:
"Ohhh... It's about 2:45 on a Tuesday morning.... I believe it's time to rage."
bbyjcam_19

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I bumped TattooGoddess's thread about falls to the top of the forum. That might be a helpful read. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby dustyroller » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 pm

i had dred falls in 2009 well 1 i guess. some awesome woman put my entir head of hair in a french braid then did the yarn around my hair (which was about 26 inches at the time. then 2 days later i had to get it out and it took almost 4 hours for me to get it all out. by then i had lost like 1/8th of my hair. it looked awesome and i totally would have kept it but it just got so itchy and nasty in the 3 days i had it.

but still big shout out to the woman who did it it looked amazing. my entire head in one fall
do what you like but like what you do!
dustyroller

Return to Clothing & Playawear