Tent w/ shade cloth or Hexayurt.....which is cooler in heat?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tent w/ shade cloth or Hexayurt.....which is cooler in heat?

Postby ursditsky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I realized last year that my burning man experience would be enriched by a little more sleep. For me this means finding a way too stay cooler in the 7am-10am morning. After researching some of these discussions I'm unsure between a big tent with a layer or two of good shade material over it, and a hexeyurt. Does anybody have an idea how a hexeyurt with the foam/silver boards would compare in temp. with a tent under good shade cloth? Thanks in advance for any insights.
ursditsky

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:19 pm

No comparison, especially of you air condition the yurt. If you don't use AC, then make sure you don't put heavy rugs on the floor. The earth is cool once the yurt keeps the sun off it for a day, the coolness will help to keep the yurt cool. S sleeping till ten will be no problem. Misting helps to cool it too. But there's no beating AC.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Or a swamp cooler...... :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ConnieH » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 am

Hexayurt all the way - we slept until at least noon most days, and didn't have a/c or a swamp cooler, just two window vents. Afternoon sleeping was a little warm, but still bearable (not even an option with a tent), we are adding a swamp cooler this year for afternoon coolness. JK is right about no heavy rugs, I put down only a light canvas tarp on top of the bottom tarp just so the floor wasn't sticky - the ground is noticably cooler, especially after being shaded all week.

Really, the ideal set up (for me) is a hexayurt with a roomy shade structure off the front door of the yurt. When it gets hot in the afternoon, if the yurt isn't cool enough for me, I'd rather nap in the shade structure where I can at least catch a breeze. If I had to tent it, I would probably opt for a big-ass breezy shade structure with a cot or hammock for afternoon naps, and a small tent for private early morning sleeping and possible dust storm protection, but if you are considering a hexayurt, the dust-free benefit of a hexayurt is almost as important to me as the coolness of it.
ConnieH

Postby thk127 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

One of my friends did a Hexayert last year with a swamp cooler and said it was awesome! I’m doing the same this year!
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Return to Shelter & Camping