Paint, markers, spray paint, dyes; what works best?

Paint, markers, spray paint, dyes; what works best?

Postby BeachAmigo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:20 am

The playa is extremely dry and paints and markers dry out before I can finish a project.
What are some tips on being able to paint and draw on the playa!
Many thanks for sharing!
BeachAmigo
Cloud 9 gets all the attention, but Cloud 8 is closer, less crowded, and has a much better view.
BeachAmigo

Postby Orchid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:30 am

What are you trying to paint? Can you paint it before you get to the playa?
Orchid

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:41 pm

On-playa I would just do your preliminary sketches in colored pencil or watercolor pencil, then do your actual finished pieces when you get home.

If you haven't used the watercolor pencils, they're great- you can work them like a regular pencil, add a bit of water the pigment turns to watercolor, once it dries sharpen your lines with it as a pencil again.

Lots of brands available in a range of colors- I like Derwent's "InkTense" line- they turn super vibrant once you get them wet.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby accordionMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 am

I've done a lot of painting of benches at center camp and the latex paint, though it drys fast, it is great to work with. Make a mistake, paint over it 2 minutes later.

I've used markers in conjunction with paint and that works well to a point... because the surface we are working on is wood, it gets raggedy very fast.
If you are doing a mural, there are several ways you can approach it.

1- Wing it and paint on the fly.

2- Design it on an 8"x8" piece of paper with a grid and then translate it on the playa at actual size: 8'x8'

3-Do the same as above, but translate it at home onto paper 8'x8'. On the playa, rub charcoal on the reverse side of your image. Then tape up your art and then rub the image onto the wall.

I'm doing #3 this year.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 am

Maybe this is about semantics but are you talking about spray painting things while on the playa or are you talking about painting on the physical playa itself?
Isotopia

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Keep your markers in a ziploc baggie or something airtight so they don't dry out.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Return to 2010 Art & Performance