anyone think this would work?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 am

Samasutra and Oldguy, Thankee kindly. Out of box no probs sounds fantastic. No other guying out necessary then? I was worried about the wire pigtails at the ends of the top spreaders. If you didn't experience any flapping/tearing there with the winds on Saturday, then I'm good to go.
Elorrum

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:38 am

eeep. Oldsoul. pardon me.
Elorrum

Postby Eventfarm » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:56 am

How tall is the usable space in this tent?

I see that the center hieght is 12 ft, but how close to the side can I put a 6 ft high tent. Can I fit 2 6 ft high tents underneath?
Eventfarm

Burning Since: 2010

Postby amuk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Taping seams???

So now my only question is it it worth cost/effort to use professional gaffers tape (permacel 672) over the main vertical seams.

The seams are double stitched and look strong, but I don't know if they are playa-strong. I'd be looking at ~$50 for the tape.

So really, my question is how much extra security will 2" of professional heat-resistant gaffers tape provide to the seams?

Thanks!
amuk

Postby amuk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Eventfarm wrote:How tall is the usable space in this tent?

I see that the center hieght is 12 ft, but how close to the side can I put a 6 ft high tent. Can I fit 2 6 ft high tents underneath?

I think 2 6' high tents will fit without trouble, but a lot depends on the actual size of the tents.

Corner-to-center distance is about 15' and there are six corners.
Middle-of-side to middle-of-side distance is about 12.5'

From the center to corner the hight hits 6' height at about 7.5' out
From the center to middle of a side hits 6' height at about 6' out
amuk

Postby oldsoul » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:44 pm

Those wire pigtails stayed secure all week, though even if they were to pop out I can't really see them damaging the non-mesh fabric of the tent. It likely wouldn't be too hard to cap them, though. As I said, we used it last year for the entire Burn without any modifications.

I just had it out last week and inspected it for any damage, and it's still in tip top shape and is ready for another week on the playa. For $100, I figured if it lasted through even just one Burn it was worth the money. If it lasts through this year it's more than worth what I paid. I'm very pleased with how it held up, and it became our little neighborhood hangout after we made nice with everyone camped around us.

Another plus, it fits easily into it's own little dufflebag, so it's incredibly easy to transport. This was of grave importance to my camp last year, as we stuffed 4 people and all of our gear into one Subaru Legacy wagon and drove all the way from Ohio.

I just hope any of you who take my glowing endorsement and grab one of these for this year don't mind if I stumble into your camp smelling of whiskey thinking I've found home.
oldsoul

Postby mikesieben » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Yay I am very glad we got one of these now!

Feel free to stumble into our camp.

We're called CAMP STICK IT IN!
mikesieben

Postby z276 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Woot! I bought this thing too. I am so glad to hear that the strip pole down the middle will be strong enough for the storms.
z276

Postby Elorrum » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm

yeah we should have a northpole party tent crawl. I'm going to put a lighted Christmas tree star on the top of mine if I can devise an attachment (velcro?) and small solar panel. I'm going to set it up in a relative's backyard this week and work on this.
Elorrum

Postby mikesieben » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Elorrum wrote:yeah we should have a northpole party tent crawl.

This
mikesieben

Pushy in button thing problem?

Postby dewnorth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 pm

ourania wrote:It breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces that attach using the little pushy in button things that go into the little holes on the next piece.

I might be wrong. And I usually am. But I wondered if a pipe, PVC, etc were slid over the center pole, could a pushy button get pushed in during big winds, break dancing etc. and that part of the pole collapse? I'm picturing some sort of cover or ring next to, or over the pushy button things so they won't accidentally push in.
dewnorth

Postby Eventfarm » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:36 pm

amuk wrote:
Corner-to-center distance is about 15' and there are six corners.
Middle-of-side to middle-of-side distance is about 12.5'

From the center to corner the hight hits 6' height at about 7.5' out
From the center to middle of a side hits 6' height at about 6' out

Thanks for the numbers. Since I'm flying in, this monstrosity would be so much easier than something homemade.

Amazon has these for $130 + free shipping, so I just have to figure out how much space I'm allotted at camp and get one...
Eventfarm

Re: Pushy in button thing problem?

Postby oldsoul » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 pm

dewnorth wrote:
ourania wrote:It breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces that attach using the little pushy in button things that go into the little holes on the next piece.

I might be wrong. And I usually am. But I wondered if a pipe, PVC, etc were slid over the center pole, could a pushy button get pushed in during big winds, break dancing etc. and that part of the pole collapse? I'm picturing some sort of cover or ring next to, or over the pushy button things so they won't accidentally push in.

The center pole builds upwards, so if one of the buttons gets pushed in it will not collapse. If the center pole was sitting on drastically uneven ground there would perhaps be a remote possibility this would be an issue. There are holes in the bottom piece that will allow you to stake it in if you choose.

The center pole was able to support my weight when I climbed up it to test it's strength, and I'm a tall 200+ pound monster of a man (ladies, I am currently single), though you might not have very good luck if you want it to double as a stripper pole.
oldsoul

Postby z276 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:14 am

Please can we have a North Pole tent meet n' greet?? That sounds like such a good idea. Let's get drunk.
z276

Postby danibel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks for posting the dimensions above. I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I bought a screen tent from target and a lovely lady gifted me 12 candy caned rebar stakes, but the screen tent thing just didn't seem right. Since it will be just my sister and I, we need something easy and fast (yes, both virgins) to set up. Plus I don't want to be the virgin chick that didn't plan right and brought some lame structure that blows all over the place.

All I want is some shade to put my chair in the afternoon or maybe lay on a futon mattress, most importantly - A place to keep my camp stove so that I don't have to cook in the sun (literally).

Is this structure big enough for a card table sized kitchen? I am not concerned about dust (I am looking forward to my first taste!), but need some place to cook and store a few things.

And though I have no idea where I will be camped - A northpole tent crawl sounds like fun! I'll be serving fresh mojitos! =)
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Samasutra » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:01 am

danibel wrote:Thanks for posting the dimensions above. I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I bought a screen tent from target and a lovely lady gifted me 12 candy caned rebar stakes, but the screen tent thing just didn't seem right. Since it will be just my sister and I, we need something easy and fast (yes, both virgins) to set up. Plus I don't want to be the virgin chick that didn't plan right and brought some lame structure that blows all over the place.

All I want is some shade to put my chair in the afternoon or maybe lay on a futon mattress, most importantly - A place to keep my camp stove so that I don't have to cook in the sun (literally).

Is this structure big enough for a card table sized kitchen? I am not concerned about dust (I am looking forward to my first taste!), but need some place to cook and store a few things.

And though I have no idea where I will be camped - A northpole tent crawl sounds like fun! I'll be serving fresh mojitos! =)

Yes it is most definitely big enough for a card table sized kitchen. It is 30 feet wide and 30 feet in diameter. Count me in for the tent crawl! You can find me somewhere around 7:30 and anywhere from H-J. I'll be the tinkerbell look-alike swilling champagne from the bottle. :P
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Samasutra

Postby Elorrum » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm

This weekend I finally have a space and the time to set this up again. I'd like to see if my 6' dome tent fits underneath. I also have a much shorter pyramid tent that has no floor, that might make a nice day nap space. I'll set the dome up somewhere in any case. I just like having a tent that I can stand in. I'm looking forward to trying out all my options, and getting a radius measure on a string so I can stake it out tight and put it up by myself. In any case, I am hoping I can set up a tent inside the Northpole, and sleep later in the day, or take a quality nap. Plus I have been working on a "cap" for the tent that will hold my Christmas tree star light. If you see it, stop in and say hello. I'll register at the center camp registry doohickey.
Elorrum

Postby steveboy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:16 pm

In case anyone's looking for one of these shade structures, Tuesday Morning has a good deal on them for $80. I just got one.

Take a look at http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/email_tem ... 13_598.jpg

Thanks to Elorrum for lettiing me know about this thread!
steveboy

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 pm

put up the tent last weekend to see how my other tent might fit under it. I have an REI campdome 6, and it barely fit between the wall and the post. doable, but it takes up a lot of space, and I sleep at night, so I fiugre the tent will go outside as usual.

Also, with all the corners staked out it was impossible for me on my own to put the center pole up, since I could not slant it, and am not strong enough to tension upwards the entire tent to slot together the last sections of the center pole. I undid two stakes, then tilted in the center pole, and scooted the bottom bracket to get it vertical. Now if I let go of the pole, the tension from the staked side of the tent wanted to pull it over. At this point I could anchor the pole, but instead I tied a rope to it to keep it from toppling over, tied the rope to a temp stake outside the tent, then I went out and redid the two corner stakes. o.k. doable for a single person. The problem with the last stakes was pulling the edge tight enough. This gave me an idea for a tent corner come-along: something that would pull the tent corner out close to the ground and keep it tight while putting the stake in. The tent edge wants to pull upwards, and when you put the stake in, it is still not tight enough. I think a pulley, or two, and a cleat, on a board I can kneel on might work. Maybe for next year.
Elorrum

Postby yizzah » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:44 pm

[quote="ourania"]I like the idea of reinforcing the centre pole that's already there. The key I've found when I've put it up is making sure it's perfectly vertical, which requires that each tie-down point be at the same tension as all the others or else it ends up lopsided. [/quote]

I used ratchet straps on my structure last year. They're super strong, bright yellow, and they are very easy to adjust, each click pulls about 1/4-1/2 inch and they don't slip or loosen like knots or ropes. The only weird thing was that they whistled a bit in the wind, like a reed.
yizzah

Tent crawl?

Postby Eventfarm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:06 pm

I created a new thread to see if you were all serious about doing a crawl... respond there if you want to join in.
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=488519
Eventfarm

vanished

Postby wwonka » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:20 pm

i have been trying to find another one of these tents for weeks and have come up empty handed in each instance.

does anyone have a secret source of northpole tents, or anyone that wants to sell theirs?
wwonka

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 pm

i got mine from ebay from a company out of Broken Arrow Ok. Sorry but i threw the packing slip away and don't have the name of the company but it looks like it is a big camping supply store.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:06 pm

i got mine from ebay from a company out of Broken Arrow Ok. Sorry but i threw the packing slip away and don't have the name of the company but it looks like it is a big camping supply store.
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 pm

ha sorry for the repeat...
lucky420

Re: anyone think this would work?

Postby Rakasis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere? I have had a RSS feed looking for these for over 4 months now on local craigslist and ebay lists and still nothing. Is this a lost cause? If so is there a brand of party shade that is similar in price and quality?
Rakasis

Postby unjonharley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Rakasis wrote:Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere? I have had a RSS feed looking for these for over 4 months now on local craigslist and ebay lists and still nothing. Is this a lost cause? If so is there a brand of party shade that is similar in price and quality?

It appears they stopped making them in 2010..

I might have got the last one on the open market.. I sold mine to another burner.
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Rakasis wrote:Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere? I have had a RSS feed looking for these for over 4 months now on local craigslist and ebay lists and still nothing. Is this a lost cause? If so is there a brand of party shade that is similar in price and quality?

It appears they stopped making them in 2010..

I might have got the last one on the open market.. I sold mine to another burner.
unjonharley

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping