Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Costume & Crafting Help

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 am

Hi All,

I tried to find a thread for help and support regarding costumes, sewing, fabric, and crafting but wasn't able to find one specifically designed for that. So, here it is. Many of us here know a lot about sewing and using fabric, others want info and help with using these materials so let the sharing begin. Also, please feel free to post about anything you're working on.
EmilyD

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:01 pm

Never buy patterns at full price. National chains such as Hancock Fabrics and JoAnns will have sales where you can pick up great patterns for a buck or two.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:15 pm

What do you wear when it's cold at night? I'm working on transforming two warm thrift-store coats into lighted sculptures for me and the Mr. I'm using battery powered LEDs, Lurex fabric (metallic colors that are sheer) and sewing the lights directly to the coats then covering with the Lurex. I know a lot of folks use El-wire.
EmilyD

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:30 pm

I need to find myself one of those sewing ladies...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:56 pm

check your local senior center
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:07 pm

I would actually love a whole sub-forum on costumes & crafting, so we could have specific topics. but then i'm a sewing geek.

my hints? Double stitch the shoulders on fur stuff- it's heavy.

CUT FUN FUR WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE!!!

from the back side. it's like 10000x easier and your living room looks less like you murdered a squirrel.
trystanthegypsy

Postby Orchid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Trim or shave the seam allowances of fur before you sew. If you try to sew through bulky fur and you don't have an industrial-grade sewing machine, your machine will hate you and commit suicide.
Orchid

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I would actually love a whole sub-forum on costumes & crafting, so we could have specific topics. but then i'm a sewing geek.

from the back side. it's like 10000x easier and your living room looks less like you murdered a squirrel.

A raver squirrel. I've seen your fur. Dang that sounds dirty.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:57 pm

'Clyde the evil voodoo squirel of dooom' has been to the playa twice...but he went nude, no fur.

This thing was left on my doorstep at home about 4 years ago, how and why it was left at my door, idk, but he's a burner now.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Just thought I'd add some of the discussion about a men's coat I saw elsewhere: viewtopic.php?t=34244&highlight=
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Bounce530, nice gargoyles too! Is that candy I see on the tray? I have a bunch of candy (I sell it when I do festivals with the CandyHome trailer) but was worried it would be too moopy to give out as gifts.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Here's the coat pattern mentioned on that other thread :
Image and I found the pattern for sale for $2.00 at this link: http://www.ecrater.com/p/1621394/mccall ... cket-size#. I just did a basic google search for "McCall's 9576".
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 pm

I was looking for inexpensive solar-powered string lights for my artcar and looky what I found:

http://www.clean-energies.org/Crucifix- ... _p_96.html
EmilyD

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:41 am

yes, those are Atomic Fire Balls I had on that tray that year. Funny thing about those gargoyles is I brought those two out there to the playa but still had two at home. After about two months of being back home, the two that went to the playa disingrated into crumbles, but the other two that didn't go are still to this day fine...guess the playa dust broke down the composition of the plaster they were made with.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 am

Bounce530 wrote:yes, those are Atomic Fire Balls I had on that tray that year. Funny thing about those gargoyles is I brought those two out there to the playa but still had two at home. After about two months of being back home, the two that went to the playa disingrated into crumbles, but the other two that didn't go are still to this day fine...guess the playa dust broke down the composition of the plaster they were made with.
WOW! I guess the gargoyles you took to the playa were returning to their chemical roots.
EmilyD

Sewing Shadecloth

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:56 am

I'm wondering if anyone has experience sewing shadecloth. I need to make side panels for our shade frame: http://www.formandreform.com/wordpress/?page_id=2576 and wonder how tough this stuff is to sew. Also, would you make grommet holes or use the plastic grippers they make for shadecloth? Which holds better? I have a grommet-making kit. Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:49 am

...do a mock-up before you use the fabric you've gotten. Rarely do patterns fit well. Adjust, redo the mock-up, until you've gotten it right.

I get all my fabric from sheets and clothes at thrift stores.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby slvrnmph » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:47 am

Ignore the material suggestions on the pattern. You can make anything with whatever you want if you have the gumption to just work through it.

I also design all my costumes for day time heat wear. Then I bring leggings and long sleeved shirts to wear under them at night.

The fur will get all over everything in your house when you cut it. It just will.
All you can do is try and keep the mess to a minimum. After cutting your fur, run your hands along the cut edge to pull off the loose fur that didn't fall off. Then you can just throw that away.

If you shop for things that are too big at thrift stores or swap meets you can cut them down. Tearing things also works, but make sure that doesn't leave a moopy edge.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Orchid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:52 pm

I just followed the instructions to make an ear hat from the nice naked lady in the last Jack Rabbit Speaks and it was a complete success! Her instructions are very easy to follow.

Protip:
The pattern is almost exactly the same size as a USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelope, so if you have one of those laying around it will save you some pattern-making.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZjunUwixc&feature=related[/youtube]
Orchid

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Orchid wrote:I just followed the instructions to make an ear hat from the nice naked lady in the last Jack Rabbit Speaks and it was a complete success! Her instructions are very easy to follow.

Protip:
The pattern is almost exactly the same size as a USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelope, so if you have one of those laying around it will save you some pattern-making.

I was watching that video too. Very good, detailed instructions. A non-sewer could even make one of these by hand, machine not necessary.

You can also make a fleece hat by handhttp://familycrafts.about.com/od/fl ... attern.htm.
EmilyD

Furrrrrry stuff

Postby TobeWilde » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I would actually love a whole sub-forum on costumes & crafting, so we could have specific topics. but then i'm a sewing geek.

Thank you thank you! I'm a sewing geek too and I am having such a great time crafting stuff from Salvation Army...but this monster fur is driving ME wild...and I'm October Wilde to begin with...

Tell me...do you have any secrets for sewing this stuff? I'm using a regular sewing machine, not a serger...but it is thick, yah?

I'm doing some videos on how to transform regular thrift store finds ($2 - $4) into funky, sexy stuff...think I should Youtube it?
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>
TobeWilde

This is a Good Jumping Off Place...

Postby TobeWilde » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 pm

This site:

http://built2burn.com has some good ideas...I use it as a springboard for designing my own things -- see how you like it 8)
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>
TobeWilde

Errgghh

Postby TobeWilde » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 pm

(...somebody tell me why my link looks like html code instead of an active link...thx...)
Birgin 2010
TobeWilde

Re: Errgghh

Postby Orchid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:55 pm

TobeWilde wrote:(...somebody tell me why my link looks like html code instead of an active link...thx...)

When you post something, make sure the box marked "Disable BBCode in this post" is unchecked :)
Orchid

Re: Furrrrrry stuff

Postby trystanthegypsy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:58 pm

TobeWilde wrote:Tell me...do you have any secrets for sewing this stuff? I'm using a regular sewing machine, not a serger...but it is thick, yah?

Someone further up mentioned trimming the pile in the seams, but to me thats a LOT of extra work and you end up with bare spots near your seams..

Use a heavy duty needle, fool around with your tension and stitch lengths until you find one that works the best.

If you have to sew it fur side out, (rather than fur together), then cover the fur with tissue paper or dissolving paper.

If you have really tight seams like sleeve attachments or ends or pockets, don't be afraid to overlap rather than trying to do seams the same way you would with thinner fabric.
trystanthegypsy

Postby shroom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:17 am

Orchid wrote:I just followed the instructions to make an ear hat from the nice naked lady in the last Jack Rabbit Speaks and it was a complete success! Her instructions are very easy to follow.

Protip:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZjunUwixc&feature=related[/youtube]

I saw this on Jack rabbit Speaks as well. I'm not very good at sewing, but I really want to give this hat a try.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Errgghh

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:55 am

Orchid wrote:
TobeWilde wrote:(...somebody tell me why my link looks like html code instead of an active link...thx...)

When you post something, make sure the box marked "Disable BBCode in this post" is unchecked :)

You can also go to your profile and enable your BBCode. Then all your posts will show up correctly.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Orchid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 am

shroom wrote:I saw this on Jack rabbit Speaks as well. I'm not very good at sewing, but I really want to give this hat a try.

Do it! If you can sew in a relatively straight line, you can make that hat. I've made 4 so far; I think I'm going to keep making them until I run out of fur or fleece. They'll make great gifts for my campmates.
Orchid

Postby gidget » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:57 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:Use a heavy duty needle, fool around with your tension and stitch lengths until you find one that works the best.

Some newer machines also come with a walking foot option, enabling the walking foot really helps push heavier materials through. Remember to go slow or you end up with wonky stitch lengths and a shitton of broken needles.
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby EmilyD » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:43 pm

TobeWilde wrote:

Thank you thank you! I'm a sewing geek too and I am having such a great time crafting stuff from Salvation Army...but this monster fur is driving ME wild...and I'm October Wilde to begin with...

Tell me...do you have any secrets for sewing this stuff? I'm using a regular sewing machine, not a serger...but it is thick, yah?

I'm doing some videos on how to transform regular thrift store finds ($2 - $4) into funky, sexy stuff...think I should Youtube it?

You could try basting the edges of the fur after you cut out the pieces. That should hold the pile down a bit as you work with the fabric.

You can also get some gentle-release blue masking tape and cover the edges (get the wide one) and then just peel it as you sew the pieces together. The tape will pull some of the fur off but at least it won't be flying all over your house and up your nose.
EmilyD

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear