Your suggestions requested! RV/Sunday Arrival/Placement

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Your suggestions requested! RV/Sunday Arrival/Placement

Postby Gage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Now that Danielle & I have enjoyed the event in different ways the last 2 years, we really want to take our experience to the next level this year, finding new ways to setup camp, participate and manage our activities.

2008 :?: - Virgin year. Planned for 5 months. Applied for (& received) Scholarship tickets. Camped with a large, established camp (Shadyvil). Brought a queen size mattress for comfort (lol). Tented it up. Arrived Monday and left Sunday. Life-changing experience!

2009 8) - Recently moved, so decision to go was last minute and put together in 1 week. Paid full price for tickets and arrived late Wednesday night. Left Sunday. Wonderful, matured (but shorter) experience. Again tented it up, no queen bed, but faster on setup and breakdown. Packed up Saturday before burn, partied all night under the full moon, slept at Root Society, and rolled out early Sunday morning.

2010 :twisted: - Seasoned. Hungry. Wanting more out of the event. Wanting to camp solo this year but still hang out with our friends from Shadyvil. Looked into renting an RV, but figured why spend the money renting when we could buy for the same price (lots of great deals on RVs in the San Diego area). Found a 1977 Excel Travel Tralier in mint condition for $1,750, and after doing the usual maintenance needs on it, she's ready for a few trips this summer - including )'(. We are customzing the tralier to add to the event, not look like another closed-off RV parking lot. We are also leaving SD on Thursday, getting to Reno on Saturday for last minute supplies, and wanting to arrive in Gerlach on Sunday. Lastly, we are planning on staying until Monday this time, to experience the Temple night...

We're asking for your suggestions on the following items:

- Anything an RV owner should prepare for in relation to maintaining operation on the playa (she's prepared for regular usage/camping).

- Sunday Night Entrance Overview - We know we will be standing in a long entry line, but we want to bring the celebration to the entrance party. Anything we need to worry about, plan for, and maybe ideas on how we can make a positive impact on the pre-entry crowd.

- Sunday night parking/Getting prime real estate Monday morning - We know we dont want to park on any theme camps real estate, but we have an idea where we want to post camp. What do you suggest, and who do we talk to 1st thing Monday morning to find out where we can (and can't) camp?

Suggestions/replies to 1 or all 3 topics are welcomed!

:mrgreen: GageNdG

p.s. We're hosting Volleyball on Tuesday afternoon (still working on the theme), and BloodyMaryBaconBurners on Wednesday morning.
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby Token » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm

I like The fact that you are taking your time with the trailer drive up. If you go 395 it is an awesome ride up with much in the way of hot springs and riverside forestry camping. I would suggest taking an extra day soaking in hot springs in the Sierras and arrive in Reno on Sunday am. Spending a couple days at 8000 feet elevation in one of the most scenic places in the world is good for you. Cuts down on playa adjustment time.

RV services on Playa are decent. In the 4 years I have had my trailer out there I was able to get the waste tanks pumped without problem. It takes an hour or two to hunt the RV pumpers down but even that us fun at BM.

Get a small rug/carpet and put it in front of the trailer door. Try to take shoes off and dusty yourself off before entering. Takes care of 90% of the dust problem.

Don't put dishes in the sink thinking you will get to it latter. Won't happen and then there will be the SO spanking you.

Once you have running water, you will use it. Bring more.

Don't use the built in trailer awning. Will not survive the playa. I have proof.

Bring some plywood scraps to put under the trailer stabilizer pads. The pads are too small and will widdle into the playa.

Bring spare axle bearing for the trailer. Make sure your spare tire is good. Consider having two. Drive out a dozen or few miles and pull over at a truck stop. Touch the wheel hubs and see if they are hot. If hot, either bearings are about to fail or tires are not inflated correctly. Fix it before it goes tragic.

That's about all I got. Can't help you on the early arrival. I've had early entry for the last few years so can't speak for the new gate rules.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Gage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks for the good suggestions Token. The plywood for the levelers makes sense. We're big on rugs also. We bought 5 new tiires for the trailer (dual axle + spare) and I learned how to pack the axle bearings, so they are in great shape also. We have a 60 gallon fresh water tank, and (2) 30 gallon tanks for grey water and black water. Do you think we will need RV service? And if so, will they also bring fresh water, or just take away the sewage?

We love the 395, and have traveled it often (but not in an RV). Might have to do the hot springs though... sounds refreshing.

We'll still probably stop in Reno for a buffet and a hot shower on our way out. We slept for almost 14 hours on our way home last year! :)

Any other suggestions? Anyone? :)
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:05 am

Be careful during the pre-party entry line. I've heard (but have not confirmed) DUIs at entry!?

Placement? Just use the map they give you. Pull over and ask, open territory is tempting, but you can usually tell from the map if it is reserved. Sunday night/Monday morning, we stay up all night shooing RVs and non-registered campers out of Hushville. Most folks are reasonable when we show them the map.

Naked volleyball, naturally?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:26 am

Trailer Life's RV books are useful, if you avoid the mostly travelogue ones.
They go from intro to heavy technical.

Might want to widen those pads permanently.
gyre

Postby Token » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 am

RV service only pumps out the grey and black tanks. No water delivery.

There are trucks delivering potable water out there but those are for infrastructure camps and folks that were out there for weeks building stuff. All pre-arranged.

But new this year is water sales in Gerlach so you could pack in an empty barrel and fill up in town before gate. There is a thread about that with local phone number here somewhere.
Token

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 am

Where's the hot springs? Mammoth?

If you like beer, Indian wells brewing company is just south of the 14/395 junction and well worth a stop. :) I think I'm going to get some provisions there and mammoth brewing company this year. ;)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 am

A few comments:

I work for Gate/Perimeter. As people have mentioned, there are normally very active enforcement efforts going on on opening night. Most of these are in the form of people being complete idiots in their behavior so they get pulled over by BLM and other LEO. Yes, they do pull over for DUI all the way into BRC. Even at 10 mph....

Don't drink or get high while driving. That's just dumb to come all this way and get popped then.

Ok, for early arrival. If you get there prior to public opening at midnight, you'll be funneled into the stack lot. People are free to get out of their vehicles in the stack lot, but we will do the following:

Keep you very near your vehicle.
Prevent large groups from forming.
Encourage people partaking in plainly illicit activities to do it out of sight of the patrolling LEO. (again, you think we're hardasses....we're trying to save YOU from a whopping ticket or a ride in a cop car).

The exit from stack lot can take a very long time. You don't get some sort of "credit" for getting in line early...in fact we discourage it, so last year, some people that got there around 9 pm didn't get let out of that lot until something around 7 am due to traffic.

YOUR GOAL IS TO ARRIVE AT THE FRONT GATES AT 12:00 am, NOT SOONER.

On camps, technically all space that is unoccupied/unplaced is up for grabs at 12:01 am. But as Anti-M pointed out, be careful to understand whether you are in an established theme camp's space when yuo land. When in doubt...simply pull over and hop out and ask.

On your trailer, it sounds like you have it together. Those are ginormous tanks...are you sure those numbers are correct? How big is your trailer in length? It was pretty rare for older trailers to have such large tanks unless you retrofitted them. Newer Toyboxes are set up much more for dry camping...

For just two people, you should be fine all week. Our general guidance is to save water use for showers only. We try to bring everything else burnable if possible. For bathrooms we try to use the portas until they are just untenable.

For extra water, Pep Boys carries potable water blue plastic jerry cans in 7 gallon sizes. Big enough to hold a lot of water, but still carryable. Can be tucked out of the way. 4 of them could refill half your water tank in a few minutes.

Depending on the type, you might want to bring your tent and set it up as an extra structure in the lee of your trailer. They make good changing/guest rooms, dirty clothes lockers, or even a place to house your bagged garbage until you are ready to go.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:59 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Don't drink or get high while driving. That's just dumb to come all this way and get popped then.

Or dead. Very silly to pay bm prices for what can be had at home for much cheaper.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

Replace your existing showerhead with something that is momentary, like a dish sprayer, and your water usage will drop dramatically, also you prolly don't want to drink any of the water out of that old tank.

Susie's Potable water IS available to the public, but it is a random thing to see the shiny truck drive by and have spare time to do you, so plan accordion-ly.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 pm

My 73 trailer has 30 gallon black and gray tanks.

I can't remember the size of the freshwater, but over 30 gallons, maybe 50?
gyre

Postby Gage » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks to all for the great replies and the good info. The info on the tank sizes were passed on from the daughter of the previous owner, so I'm not sure how to confirm the sizes without the manuals. Can't find them online either...

Love the dish sprayer showerhead idea (we needed to replace it anyways).

I was thinking about setting up the tent for extra space, but it kind of defeats the purpose of making camp setup/breakdown easier... lol

Definitely bringing more water. Drinkable and non.

I want to shoot for leaving Reno around 9pm, gased up and ready to go.

Thanks for the info regarding placement. We want to find a spot, just park there, and finish setting up in the am.

<3 you guys/gals! Anti M's voted for naked volleyball. Anyone else have similar suggestions? :D
Gage

Postby StevenGoodman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:36 pm

If you are coming up 395, you might consider taking 50 east from Carson City and then north on Alt-95 to Fernley. And avoid Reno completely.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby Token » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Doesn't that path Go through Shurtz or somesuch. There was problems there a few years back with the tribal police being less than nice.
Token

Postby Mojojita » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Turn off your water pump so you aren't flushing your head with fresh water. Use dish water (keep in container by head) for flushing.

Lord of Ruin is spot on about DUI's - last year saw MANY between Gate and Greeters.

Use blue painter's tape to seal windows, especially on an older trailer - otherwise you will have little mounds of playa on your counter, table, bed, etc.... painter's tape comes off easily without melting to your paint.
Mojojita

Postby Gage » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Not avoiding Reno because I want to do final checks and get last minute supplies/gas there, but an alternate route along the way would be fun as long as it's not too much of a strain on the estimated 11,860lbs I'll be weighing in at... lol

Good suggestion on the painters tape mOjOjita. The dust doesn't bother us much, but a little less inside wouldn't hurt I guess.

I'll be staying sober until we pass the gates. I can't speak for Danielle though. She'll just need to pace herself unless she WANTS me to go out solo after we get situated. :twisted: Crown+Cranberries are her vice...
Gage

Postby Token » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 pm

If you are going to tape windows, add some aluminum foil to cover them completely on the morning sun side. Makes a big difference for sleeping in.
Token

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Couldn't get painter's tape to stick to anything at all, before I got to the playa.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 pm

Painters tape sticks to painted surfraces, not so well on silver aluminum or tin exterior siding.
If your camper has one of these surfaces, painting it white(to reflect sunlight) will also keep it cooler, as well as allow you to use painters tape on the exterior. We attach windshield sun reflectors from the $1 store so that the windows and their frames are completely covered. from light and dust.

you WILL want somewhere to store all the crap that is in your way inside the camper as you overpack the floor, a tent (or carport)is good advice, even if it seems like overkill.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Rice » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm

GageNdG wrote:Not avoiding Reno because I want to do final checks and get last minute supplies/gas there, but an alternate route along the way would be fun as long as it's not too much of a strain on the estimated 11,860lbs I'll be weighing in at... lol

Good suggestion on the painters tape mOjOjita. The dust doesn't bother us much, but a little less inside wouldn't hurt I guess.

I'll be staying sober until we pass the gates. I can't speak for Danielle though. She'll just need to pace herself unless she WANTS me to go out solo after we get situated. :twisted: Crown+Cranberries are her vice...

Since you have a trailer, it might be a good idea to have a can of gas for emergencies. Last year it took about 7 hours to get into the city from the pavement.

If the LE spots an open container in your vehicle, even if the passenger is holding it, you may get (at best) a citation... If it is out of reach of the driver there should be no problem! Gee, if you have driven that far, why not wait, just a little longer and get blasted when your responsibilities are non-existent??? You are, however, welcome to do what you like {grin}

Make sure to have cash to pay for the septic pumping if you need it!!

There are a number of decent shower heads that have a cutoff valve as well..

Your rig sounds pretty sweet!!! {jealousy} I have always tented up till this year.

Oh, the theme camp placement map should be out sometime in July, so armed with that knowledge, it should be pretty easy to avoid parking in the larger theme camp areas (although, I had to move last year due to my misinterpretation of the map)

See ya on the playa!

TTFM.,

Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:13 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:We attach windshield sun reflectors from the $1 store so that the windows and their frames are completely covered. from light and dust.

Sun reflectors taped to the outside or inside?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Gage » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 pm

No worries on me drinking before I get through the gates Rice. While everyone else is drinking, I'll be hitting the crack pipe, having sex on the hood of my car, shooting fireworks into the nearby crowd, pissing into the wind, and asking people walking by for change. ;)
Gage

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:26 pm

dragonpilot wrote:

On the outside, we use 3 or 4" tape, and you DO have to wipe it down first(dry rag is fine), but it doesn't come off in the wind.
Been doing it for a while now and I still have some tape stuck to it from year before last.
oneeyeddick

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:32 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:

On the outside, we use 3 or 4" tape, and you DO have to wipe it down first(dry rag is fine), but it doesn't come off in the wind.
Been doing it for a while now and I still have some tape stuck to it from year before last.

one year, I taped reflective mylar over the windows. It worked well.
Last year, I cut pieces of the reflectix (bubble insulated) to fit the windows tight and put it inside.....seemed to work just as well........with a tight fit, the hot air created between the glass and reflectix seems held there............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 pm

GageNdG wrote:No worries on me drinking before I get through the gates Rice. While everyone else is drinking, I'll be hitting the crack pipe, having sex on the hood of my car, shooting fireworks into the nearby crowd, pissing into the wind, and asking people walking by for change. ;)

*raises GageNdG a full notch on the Like-O-Meter*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Yeah... but ended it with one of those winky smileys, so I think he is joking.

Krap , I'm not sure which one of those cuties in the pic is posting ...
oneeyeddick

Re: Your suggestions requested! RV/Sunday Arrival/Placement

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 am

GageNdG wrote:Looked into renting an RV, but figured why spend the money renting when we could buy for the same price (lots of great deals on RVs in the San Diego area). Found a 1977 Excel Travel Tralier in mint condition for $1,750, and after doing the usual maintenance needs on it, she's ready for a few trips this summer - including )'(. We are customzing the tralier to add to the event, not look like another closed-off RV parking lot.

Brilliant mutherfucker! This is exactly what I've been trying to tell everyone who posts on here asking about/bitching about renting an RV for Burning Man!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Re: Your suggestions requested! RV/Sunday Arrival/Placement

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 am

GageNdG wrote:Looked into renting an RV, but figured why spend the money renting when we could buy for the same price (lots of great deals on RVs in the San Diego area). Found a 1977 Excel Travel Tralier in mint condition for $1,750, and after doing the usual maintenance needs on it, she's ready for a few trips this summer - including )'(. We are customzing the tralier to add to the event, not look like another closed-off RV parking lot.

Brilliant mutherfucker! This is exactly what I've been trying to tell everyone who posts on here asking about/bitching about renting an RV for Burning Man!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Jackass » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 am

I second the motion, I too bought a tent trailer for BM. Paid just 500 bucks with registration and all, of course I spent 2 months and about another 700 on it but it's customized to my liking/the playa, can take it anywhere I want, no cleaning fees when I get it home, not too big of a footprint for storing, no engine/cooling/transmission systems to worry about or maintain and best of all doesn't require insurance to keep it registered..Bingo!!

Plus, working on the trailer during the winter months was a great way to beat cabin fever while still keeping the creative/burning spirit alive and thriving. Loved every minute of it! :D :D :D
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Jackass » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:12 am

As for this
No worries on me drinking before I get through the gates Rice. While everyone else is drinking, I'll be hitting the crack pipe, having sex on the hood of my car, shooting fireworks into the nearby crowd, pissing into the wind, and asking people walking by for change. Wink
Perhaps I will join you in celebrating in fine style!! LOL :lol:
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping