Fur coat pattern?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Fur coat pattern?

Postby Tungstiny » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 am

I have been looking for a faux fur coat pattern for men with little success. Does anybody have a suggestion? I have the fur but don't feel competent to just wing the design. Thanks
If we all wore what we really wanted to wear, we'd dress like the Village People. -Robert Smith
Tungstiny

Postby slvrnmph » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:39 am

Just pick the simplest coat pattern you can find that you like. The pattern doesn't have to be designed for a fur coat for you to use it to make a fur coat.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:43 am

Good bet: bathrobe patterns. Simple, and some have hoods.

Never buy patterns full price. Hancock and JoAnn Fabrics have sales on them all the time. Buck each instead of $15.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Token » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 am

Leisure Suit would be rad. With white shoes, walking cane and the cool hat.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Isotopia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Go with Anti-M's advice.

Most everyone I know who has made a huge coat has done it by dead reckoning or tearing a housecoat/robe apart and exaggerating the dimensions.
Isotopia

Postby kraskland » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Look for McCall's 9576 pattern. They call it a reversible jacket for women, but it comes in XL sizes that will easily fit tall men. It's a nice big coat with a wide collar. The pattern is very simple and you can easily alter it so the length goes down to your knees (or ankles I suppose). Based on a recommendation I got here on eplaya, I'm gluing it together with Shoe Goo adhesive instead of sewing it.
kraskland

Postby jella » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Had alot of luck with mc calls m4975. I've made it with and without hoods and several lengths .
There are several posts about coats but my favorite tips are...use an exacto knife not scissors. cut one layer at a time and shake each piece outside.
Have fun :)

Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Thats awesome!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby jella » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Y thank you illy dilly :D
Modeled by my future burner. Ain't he cuuuute hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby gidget » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 pm

jella wrote:.
There are several posts about coats but my favorite tips are...use an exacto knife not scissors. cut one layer at a time and shake each piece outside.

and cut it from the back side not the front. Mccalls and simplicity both have good patterns, try also looking in the costume section of the pattern catalog if you want something more stylized. Or get a coat from goodwill and cut it apart. I'm one of those crazy people that patterns my own... :wink:

I do recommend lining the coat though. If you want a coat that is resistant to arctic chill, line it with polar fleece, otherwise something nice and comfy and absorbent like flannel. I'm not big on sweating into poly lining...
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby jella » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 pm

I second the lining recommendation ! I love the charmouse I lined mine with soft and cool. found it for 2.00 a yard at yardage town. heading there this weekend never know what you can find in the bargain bin.
jella

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:05 pm

jella wrote:Had alot of luck with mc calls m4975. I've made it with and without hoods and several lengths .
Have fun :)

Great job jella!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:52 pm

FYI folks I've added this topic to the new thread called Costume and Craft Help:

viewtopic.php?t=34307&highlight=
EmilyD

Postby copilot602 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Only complaint I have heard about robe patterns is that they dont "attach" well in the front because the collar role is also on the front. I managed to find this pattern and it worked great. It asks for a lot of fabric though! I paid a sweet little old women $100 to make it (not including the fur of course) - maybe next one I will attempt on my own! I added a hood on it and I think it turned out great! C is for Cookie indeed!

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1539-misses-men-costumes.aspx

copilot602

patterns for coats and a bunch of other burner stuff

Postby sambojones » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:14 am

http://www.ilaniowear.com/patterns/index.html

they have closed down their burner clothing business but posted the patterns that they used i have saved em all to my comp for future use now i just need to learn how to sew :twisted:
sambojones

Postby peachandpapa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Copilot602... The coat and fragric looks just like they came straight from Offbeatwear.com. The proprieter, Sunkist, is a great Burner. Are you sure you made it?
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm

He didn't claim to make it.. and.. it's a pretty common pattern/design/monster fur color..

Different different different I vote something different for next year. Break out of the same-old-burny-fur look and let's see some uniqueness and creativity in clothing design. I feel like monster fur has been overdone since 07-ish.

*sigh* just my $0.02. YMMV.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:50 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I feel like monster fur has been overdone since 07-ish.

'07?

It was done long before that. I call it the "Burners-R-Us" look: individuality for the masses.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Eric wrote:"Burners-R-Us" look: individuality for the masses.

:lol: :lol:

+1
junglesmacks

Postby lucky420 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:34 pm

monster fur coat may be overdone but I want one, I want one. I suffered from mushroom freeze a couple of nights last year anytime I stopped moving. I swear I could feel arctic air...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Risky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Think of all the stuff you like to carry on you and sew pockets into the lining.
Risky

Postby TomServo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Risky wrote:Think of all the stuff you like to carry on you and sew pockets into the lining.

The Canadian border police spent 1/2 an hour searching my leather jacket. Was a good distraction for all the hiding places we made in our VW van.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby havoc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:57 am

copilot: where did you (or the little old lady) get the fabric? i just got a sewing machine and i'm itching to make some stuff. :)

-havoc
havoc

Postby jella » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 am

Over done or not, I freeze my tukas off out there ! I loves me some warm fuzzy giant pink fur coat :)

I agree to new and different, and vow to try my best.
and that's my 2 cents back atcha
jella

Postby copilot602 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 am

Actually didnt plan on the "monster" fur coat, just kinda came out that way! Old hat or not, I am pretty happy with the finished product. My first Burn was 09 so sorry I couldn't wear it when it was "cool" ;o)

One of my buddies bought the fabric for me at the fabric district in L.A. while sending photos from his dieing cell phone. The best fabric store we have in Phoenix never gets this kind of thick fur in.

On the "new" thing. I couldn't agree more that new idea are great. Show us what ya got. Last time I checked, thick fur like jackets have been a bit of a go-to for warmth and comfort for prolly the last 10,000 years or so.....

Josh

PS. I bought 2 different costume patterns (one of which I linked to) and found some lady on craigslist who was able to sew up it for me.

PPS the shaving of the sewing edges is a fantastic idea!
copilot602

Postby Parasitoid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am

Eric wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I feel like monster fur has been overdone since 07-ish.

'07?

It was done long before that. I call it the "Burners-R-Us" look: individuality for the masses.

A mustache and glasses?!? Please, that is so 16th century. I call it the tit look.
Parasitoid

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 am

havoc wrote:copilot: where did you (or the little old lady) get the fabric? i just got a sewing machine and i'm itching to make some stuff. :)

-havoc

Check out Distinctive Fabric:

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/

That same 3 tone monster fur:

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/catego ... at=LONGFUR
junglesmacks

Postby moonrise » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Interesting, I think all of the coats look cool...'07 or not.

One of the long time veterans in my camp wears real rabbit fur coats, his wife too...warmer and they breathe, that's what they explained to me anyway.

I wear my pro racer bronze and other assorted professional racing stuff left over from demo days. Warm and the most unpopular demo's are the ones the companies dump on me faster...and also are the most popular at BM, LOL.
I gave a bunch of them away at 2010 BM, some burners scored some very nice jackets, I'm glad I brought them after hearing it was going to be colder 2010.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby tamarakay » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 pm

we bought two big cowboy dusters at a garage sale. You know, long white coat with split up the back and a big wide collar. I'm trying to figure out how to do a fake fur lining, and attaching pockets inside on the fur. that way the soft fuzzy is on the inside. we are lighting it up with LED's on the outside. was looking at el-wire but found these led strings for cheaps at home depot.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Return to Clothing & Playawear