RV's vs Tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:39 pm

What's the worst that can happen? Your grey water fills up and you're stuck with sponge baths like the rest of us.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 pm

BTW...I've noticed some RVs coming in with all the window seals taped up...usually with blue painters tape. Once taped the windows cannot be opened.

OK, I understand that it helps minimize interior dust. I'm guessing since there's no cross ventilation the AC must run most of the time during the day.

So, cooler, low dust interior...generator running 5-6 hours a day, extra fuel requirement.

I show up with about 3/4 gas tank...30' Class C (what's that got, a 30 gal tank?). If I'm using 6 gals a day on the generator, that's easily going to take me to the 1/4 tank shut off...so, bring extra gas?? Is that what others are experiencing.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Token » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Yep. I run 3 to 6 gallons per day, depending on the heat. Budget for 5/day and you should be fine.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby bluesbob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:31 pm

I've tented in high winds in Anza Borrego. I've tented in snowstorms in the high Sierra. I've tented in drenching rain in the redwoods. I once went through a storm in the Sierra where lightning struck so close it was like a million flash bulbs going off.

Those and other experiences was overwhelming and deeply etched in my memory. I would have missed it all in an RV.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Boijoy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

bluesbob wrote:I've tented in high winds in Anza Borrego. I've tented in snowstorms in the high Sierra. I've tented in drenching rain in the redwoods. I once went through a storm in the Sierra where lightning struck so close it was like a million flash bulbs going off.

Those and other experiences was overwhelming and deeply etched in my memory. I would have missed it all in an RV.

Isn't that the point?
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 pm

bluesbob wrote:I've tented in high winds in Anza Borrego. I've tented in snowstorms in the high Sierra. I've tented in drenching rain in the redwoods. I once went through a storm in the Sierra where lightning struck so close it was like a million flash bulbs going off.

And no doubt those experiences would have been more deeply etched without a tent...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Larry God Damn Harvey stays in an RV at Burning Man.
Case closed.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm sorta halfway inbetween. I sleep in the back of my suv, as long as possible (till it gets too hot) then hang out under the shade structure. It's a lot quieter than a tent and I don't wake up with a mouthful of dirt. :)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:02 am

then there are those of us who do neither...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rommel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 pm

peachandpapa wrote:Whenever a newbie is set to stay with our camp, we press them to bring an RV. Burning Man is enough of a sensory overload to have to deal with a tent and the elements their first burn. Easier the better for our dear newbies...

Tents build better burners. I'm sorry, but it's not an adventure without some degree adversity. I've had many first year campers over the years,
and not one complained, or had a bad time because they slept in a tent.

"God created lake Lahontan to train the faithful."
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
Rommel

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Rommel wrote:Tents build better burners. I'm sorry, but it's not an adventure without some degree adversity.

For you, maybe. Not for everyone.

I've slept in both tents & RV's out there. Both have pluses and minuses, but to claim that one is going to make "better burners" is a little much.

I've sat out in dust-storms with my friends with the RV just steps behind me because I wanted to. I've also sat with a whole bunch of 8-10 year+ veterans inside an RV during a dust-storm eating like kings and watching the dust fly around the windows. I have great memories of both.

To say one is better is like telling everyone they have to wear cowboy hats & fake fur to be a burner. I'd rather die first. There is no one-size-fits-all rule on the playa.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Rommel, there are plenty of adversities out there. The dust (if you are allergic to alkaline dust, like one of our people was his first and only year, he had to stay in the RV or get very, very sick), the yahoos (I'm burnier than thou because I'm in a tent), the ravers (oh wow man, this E is making me horny to go back to my tent with any wasted burner chick I can find), the noise (I love laying awake all night in my tent listening to the THUMP THUMP THUMP of that rave camp half way across the playa), the wind (oh wow man, that dust storm just ripped my tent out from its moorings and has blown all the way to Gigsville), the lack of hygene (don't mind all this dust and mold in my tent, it's probably not infectious), and the list goes on. Yes, I sleep in an RV. Am I a bad burner? Perhaps. But with all due respect, just ask around.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby kman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Neither, go for the HexaYurt!

It's sort of in between the two, but it's the only option where you're likely to be happy sleeping in until noon without melting (or firing up the AC and burning more fossil fuels).

That said, I would vote RV between tent and RV, if I could afford the RV. It's just a roof over your head for sleeping, after all... it's not like it actually keeps out much of the noise. It keeps the dust (moderately) at bay a LOT better than a tent does, though.
kman

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping