Handcuffs as a bike lock?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Handcuffs as a bike lock?

Postby geospyder » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm thinking of using handcuffs as a bike lock. Easy to put on and off. Key around neck and spare in car. My only concern is the dust gumming up the works but that would be the same with any lock. Anyone have first hand experience with handcuffs - as a bike lock?
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:48 pm

It works and has been used but... one bike I loaned out with such an arrangement was stolen so at least one bike thief has a key to good quality handcuffs.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Token » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:24 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:It works and has been used but... one bike I loaned out with such an arrangement was stolen so at least one bike thief has a key to good quality handcuffs.

Odds are the lendee forgot to lock it up, but stranger things have happened before ...
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Token wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:It works and has been used but... one bike I loaned out with such an arrangement was stolen so at least one bike thief has a key to good quality handcuffs.

Odds are the lendee forgot to lock it up, but stranger things have happened before ...

Indeed. I did not see tell tale signs of trying to disguise the truth when he recounted the story to me.
I counted on loosing one or more of the several bikes I brought to loan out to theft so it was not that bad of a loss. It was a solid comfortable bike though.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 am

I thought most, if not all, handcuffs had the same key. Kinda like golfcarts.
And this isn't idle whateverits, it's what Scott, the former deputy, said.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:19 am

Keys get lost...even the spare.

Except if your brain gets fried (which is a distinct possibility on playa), a good combination cable lock is the way to go...one with BIG numbers easy to see in dim light. Most of 'em you can set your own easy-to-remember numbers.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:20 am

dragonpilot wrote:Keys get lost...even the spare.

Yeah, but if you're using handcuffs, you can always lure a local LEO with a story about pot use...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:50 am

I had via several ebay "wins" different handcuffs with different keys. The not for play handcuffs definitely have a different key than the for play handcuffs. I do think the handcuffs that LEO's carry do all have the same key and that was the style of hand cuff that was on my loaned out bike.

I also know that club car and harley davidson golf cart keys are different. I'll try my club car key in one of the DPW's Yamaha golf carts at this event to see if they are keyed the same. Research purposes only.

Not trying to harsh on anyone's knowledge here just putting out there what I know.

motskyroonmatick

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:59 am

Okay, from context it should be apparent that I was talking about le handcuffs.

Now I get to hang my head and feel like a fool for five seconds.

Done!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:04 am

Sorry crypto. Now I get to hang out in my head too for correcting something that didn't really need correcting.

motskyroonmatick

Postby danibel » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am

dragonpilot wrote:Keys get lost...even the spare.

Except if your brain gets fried (which is a distinct possibility on playa), a good combination cable lock is the way to go...one with BIG numbers easy to see in dim light. Most of 'em you can set your own easy-to-remember numbers.

I use a word combo lock. It was a few bucks more than the number one, but I find it easier to remember a word than numbers. =)
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Playa Foot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 am

Almost all professional handcuffs use the same key which is readily obtainable. Without a key handcuffs can be picked easily. If someone really wants your bike handcuffs will slow them down but not stop them. If you only wish to discourage a casual thief they should work fine. An alternative would be leg shackles which are larger and have a longer chain.
When you get back to your camp a pair of handcuffs, a blindfold, a gallon of Wesson oil and a rubber sheet can lead to all kinds of fun.
Playa Foot

Postby Eric » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:36 am

I use a combo like as well. Set an easy combo for you to remember- not numbers in sequence! and you're golden. I carry the number in a pouch I have with me day or night in case I'm "not able" to remember at that moment.

It's a city of 40,000+ people- plan accordingly. Most people are out for a good time, but there's always bad apples.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:26 pm

danibel wrote:I use a word combo lock. It was a few bucks more than the number one, but I find it easier to remember a word than numbers. =)

It's a left brain-right brain kinda thing...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby sputnik » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:12 am

I always used a combo lock, but since my brain often doesn't work and numbers are hard to read at night I would just spin one of the numbers so that it was easy for me to unock. I honestly also left a tag on the chain with the combo should someone else come along and futz with it. 7 years without a stolen bike (but then again they were all rather crappy bikes)
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:37 am

The word locks rock. We set them all to one word, so any camp member can open any of the locks.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 am

It's kinky enough that you're having sex with your bike, but BONDAGE as well? Have you no shame at last?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ranger Genius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:45 am

The only problem with the word combo locks is that the letters on the tumblers are carefully selected in such a way as to make it impossible to use any dirty words as your combination.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 am

Ranger Genius wrote:The only problem with the word combo locks is that the letters on the tumblers are carefully selected in such a way as to make it impossible to use any dirty words as your combination.

that's just extra work for them...retards
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:44 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBEe5WK-hE[/youtube]
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Playa Foot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:00 pm

If you double lock the cuffs they can not be opened with a shim.
However the double lock is easily defeated.
Playa Foot

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 pm

All the leo cuffs I'm aware of use the same key.
I can't imagine why any professional bike thief wouldn't have a key.
Less likely for amateurs though.

Cable locks will not stop cutters, except perhaps the highest end euro stuff.
Use security chain for thieves.
Cable is fine for stopping honest people.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:43 pm

There are carbon fibre keys and some that fit into belt buckles.
And some with lights.

http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/handcu ... 3A20%3A%3A

These have their own key though.

http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/adihas.html
http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/inha.html
gyre

handcuffs as a bike lock

Postby professorzed » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 am

I have seen bike locks designed off the handcuff design. In fact, the bicycles in India have a kind of handcuff each (separated pair) which fits around each wheel.

Foot shackles are much better than handcuffs, as someone else pointed out. The chain between the cuffs is a lot longer, so you could actually lock your bike [b]to[/b] something, besides itself.

I don't think that theft of bikes at Burning Man is a huge problem. I have heard rumors of a few people that go there to deliberately steal bikes, but such losers are pretty rare. Most of the time, your bike is just 'borrowed' and never returned by someone too stoned or drunk to know which bike is there.

So yes, a pair of handcuffs (foot shackles) would work fine as a bike lock against the casual joyrider. They would also help make your bike look unique, so everyone knows that it's [b]your[/b] bike.

The main problem I can see with using handcuffs as a bike lock is that they are generally bare metal. So in the daytime, handcuffs would be way too hot to touch, like a skillet. Daytime is also the best time for riding your bike, since it's a way to keep cool.
professorzed

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:36 am

The first picture I posted is designed for motorcycles.
They seem rugged enough.
There is a folding link abus design too.
Only weakness might be twisting the links.

And bike theft is not rare, casual and otherwise.
gyre

Postby teardropper » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:05 am

I still think it's a sick, sick, sick use for a perfectly good pair of handcuffs.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby clerkkent » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:42 am

The chintzy toy handcuffs work as a deterrent. The tipsy confused burner who thinks they have found 'their' bike will give up trying to unlock them and look for 'their' bike somewhere else. I use them on my bikes; but my bikes are cheap fur covered cruiser bikes, not $1000 Cannondales.
clerkkent

Postby geospyder » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Rather than use cuffs I opted to get a combo short U shaped braded cable 5/8 inch thick. Numbers are large enough that I can see them without the "readers" :D
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Re: Handcuffs as a bike lock?

Postby TORD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

YES handcuffs work just FINE. Burningman is NOT NYC or SF, minimum security is fine. NOBODY is hauling around 6 foot bolt cutters. Most bike theft is just hop ons. I like tha fact that most handcuffs are keyed alike and all the LAW has a key or any kink leather daddy. If you lose your key just ask at your local BDSM camp. Lose the key to your U lock and life just got INTERESTING. You can get a decent pair for 20 bucks, leg irons have a longer chain. You can get a crappy pair for 9 bucks. The key will not be universal just to the other crap cuffs but then again it might already be covered in fun fur.
TORD

Re: Handcuffs as a bike lock?

Postby teardropper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Unfortunately, there are real thieves that go after top end bikes. I recall last year BMIR was talking about the possibility of a look into trailers to check for too many bikes. Those guys probably leave early, however some really good bikes got taken. But you are right, most thefts are from lazy, stoned and/or drunks, so called Burners, who don't want to, or can't, walk back to camp. And many of those will end up deep playa or on the trash fence. But the possibility of real thieves making off with your good bike is just another reason to look for a $40 Craig's List beach cruiser.

And let me say again, unless those 'cuffs are for dual purpose, it seems a waste of a perfectly good pair of handcuffs...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Next

Return to Transportation