How do I transport water

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Sham » Tue May 04, 2010 12:54 am

EmilyD wrote:I wouldn't use it on grey water, but you could filter melted ice that didn't touch any meat products and then drink it probably.

The ice that we use in the coolers, usually turns into slimy gray colored water from all the things that it's keeping cold. The glue from beer bottles and the outsides of packages make it rather gross to even thing about drinking or washing with it. The only real good use for this stinky, sticky water, is to broadcast it (spread in a large area without puddling) in the street around your camp to keep the dust down. The water filter from Blood Bath and Beyond will do you no good with this water and will only give you one more thing to drag to the playa and home again, unless you use it as a pee container for night time relief. That, you could filter and drink if you're into that! :shock:
Sham

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 04, 2010 1:36 am

Shambala wrote:
EmilyD wrote:I wouldn't use it on grey water, but you could filter melted ice that didn't touch any meat products and then drink it probably.

The ice that we use in the coolers, usually turns into slimy gray colored water from all the things that it's keeping cold. The glue from beer bottles and the outsides of packages make it rather gross to even thing about drinking or washing with it. The only real good use for this stinky, sticky water, is to broadcast it (spread in a large area without puddling) in the street around your camp to keep the dust down. The water filter from Blood Bath and Beyond will do you no good with this water and will only give you one more thing to drag to the playa and home again, unless you use it as a pee container for night time relief. That, you could filter and drink if you're into that! :shock:

LOL allrighty then, or not! We mostly use our pitcher to make the water in our trailer taste better. :-)
EmilyD

Postby Badawg » Tue May 04, 2010 8:07 am

"Somebody" was wrong, Arctica only sells ice made from potable water. It may not taste like spring water, but it's totally drinkable if you take precautions like the cut jug in the cooler trick. Or use it for Super Soakers!!
Badawg

Postby DiveDogFLL » Tue May 04, 2010 6:42 pm

What does the ice look like? chips crushed, or moulded? & where's is made?

can you see thru it?

clear = clean

btw, I line my coolers with small frozen water bottles, and a few mixed in, and can keep food for 5 days on a boat.
DiveDogFLL

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I hate the taste of icemelt, independent of whether it's cheap or safe or any other consideration that's been floated. It doesn't taste fresh, but like something that's been sitting somewhere.

Yuck, in other words. So, suitcases and steel for me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby thesandman » Thu May 06, 2010 11:49 am

I will use the ice to Make a jack and coke on the rocks î
thesandman

Postby phil » Thu May 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I just had a brilliant idea: transport water in a bladder.
phil

Postby thesandman » Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 pm

so i transport the water in my bladder or someone else is i can only hold about a quart :)
thesandman

Postby Raven9940 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Can anyone recommend some water storage containers that aren't too large?

I'll be traveling by plane and then hitching a ride to BM so they need to be able to fit in airline luggage that I'll then fill up with water once I get to Reno.
Raven9940

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Sham » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Raven9940 wrote:Can anyone recommend some water storage containers that aren't too large?

I'll be traveling by plane and then hitching a ride to BM so they need to be able to fit in airline luggage that I'll then fill up with water once I get to Reno.

Well, I can recommend some tiny ones or some 50 gallon ones. What is too large for you? Why don't you stop into a store in Reno and buy some 2.5 gallon containers with water already in them. They are cheap enough and it sure beats dragging them on the plane with you.
Sham

Postby Raven9940 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:04 pm

That's a good idea. My one worry is that those containers aren't insulated. I was under the impression that sealed water containers would keep water cold in the heat. Am I wrong?
Raven9940

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:05 pm

If you're flying in, your limited packing space is probably better used for other items besides water containers. If I were in your shoes, once I landed in Reno: I'd buy six 2.5 gallon spigot containers of water, plus 2 large personal plastic bottles (or better yet, stainless canteens) for carrying around the playa, and--if you need it--a cooler. (I'm told the styrofoam ones don't keep the cool in as well as the Coleman or others; don't know by experience but I imagine the real coolers are much better).

Then buy ice at the event and fill your cooler, have one bottle chilling at all times while you carry the other around.

During the week, you could plan ahead & find a future home for the Coleman at the end of the week. A desert neighbor might be happy to give a free cooler a home, if agreed in advance. Last year I had enough space in my vehicle to have been such a person, & would've gifted some cocktails in return. However, in case you don't find a home for it, plan to haul it back out with you if necessary & give it to a thrift store in Reno (google before the trip for an address).

eta: If you buy stainless canteens, don't toss--jam them into your luggage on the way back. If they're relatively wide mouthed, you can even cram stuff in them if necessary. Heh.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Raven9940 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks a lot for the tip Savannah! I really appreciate it. Hope to see you there!
Raven9940

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:44 pm

I'll be the tan one covered in dust. Ya can't miss me. :)
Savannah

Postby Raven9940 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:45 pm

lol sounds hot :D
Raven9940

Postby Popobumm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Savannah wrote: If they're relatively wide mouthed, you can even cram stuff in them if necessary. Heh.

Where's Fire_moose when you need him. Shouldn't he be all over this?
Popobumm

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh, Firemoose is off somewhere, hiding his shame.
Savannah

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:31 pm

More like trying to rub the fur off of his antler.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby swampdog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Mojojita wrote:Every time I see the name of this thread, I think..."In a bucket dear Liza, dear Liza,......"

Thanks for the laugh.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Previous

Return to Food & Drink