Any builders interested on going to a private island in Fiji

All things outside of Burning Man.

Any builders interested on going to a private island in Fiji

Postby playastorm » Wed May 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Please allow me to introduce myself - I am a 7 time burner currently located in Florida. I am a director of an investment company which owns one of the most beautiful private islands in the world in Fiji (10 hour flight from LA). This is one of the last untouched places on the planet. The island has white sand beaches and a 5,000 acre lagoon filled with florescent giant clams which are practically extinct, amazing coral reefs, white tipped reef sharks (which are harmless), sea turtles... The entire lagoon is bio luminescent. It is truly an amazing place.

They started construction on the island 10 years ago - and stopped construction about 2 years ago. I am interested in assembling a burning man construction crew who can complete some of the houses which are about 75% done.

Take a look at where we are in the construction phase:

www.katafangaisland.com

The deal would be we would pay for your flights to Fiji and the island, there would be a cook on the island making all the meals and on top of that you would receive a stipend for your stay on the island. We are thinking of it being approximately a 4-6 week stints but are open to a little shorter or longer stays. We are open to having people bring partners to the island.

Your job would be to help finish one house during that time frame. You will also have a team of local Fijians to help you - these will be the local carpenters, plumbers, electricians... as well as some helpers. Therefore we are looking preferably for licensed electricians, general contractors, plumbers, AC/Mechanical installers... We are also looking for one person especially qualified who will manage the process who will receive a higher stipend who preferably is a licensed general contractor. We are also looking for people who can install the solar panels or the solar shingles or who can build a wind turbine on the side of the mountain facing the Trade winds.

The island already has working toilets, showers and an electric grid connected to a generator. Most of the materials are already on the island but we would also ship a container from Suva so by the time you arrive or a day or two after you arrive all the materials you need will be there.

There are a few hundred pigs on the island so hopefully applicants will like fresh bacon although there will be plenty of other food. There are six cabins style accommodations on the island but anyone who wants to bring a tent for a little more privacy is welcome to.

First trip to the island will be scheduled for a few weeks after burning man. If there is enough interest prior to burning man - perhaps we can schedule one for July. Otherwise these trips will run every six weeks from the middle of September.

If this interests you please send me an email to:

playastorm@gmail.com

with your resume/bio and indicate which skills you are willing to use.

I am hoping that we will assemble a great fun crew and each of these trips will be fantastic. I guarantee that you will remember this experience forever as it is an amazingly magical place.

Looking forward to hearing from people.

Bram
playastorm

Postby mdmf007 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:49 pm

hmmmm
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Re: Any builders interested on going to a private island in

Postby 1durphul » Wed May 26, 2010 10:55 pm

This sounds like the sort of invitation one would accept to find themselves in The Most Dangerous Game.
1durphul

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 27, 2010 10:09 am

That would be perfect if it was true.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 27, 2010 10:28 am

"fresh bacon"? "fresh bacon"? Blasphemy!

Bacon, by it's very nature, is not "fresh."

Perhaps you meant something like pulled pork or long pig?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Thu May 27, 2010 10:30 am

I would say, "long pig" is what's to be for dinner......and sport......
listen to 1durphul............

I wonder if the O.P. last name is Gein?...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby lambert13 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:48 am

Clever.......Try to lure me with the promise of bacon......I almost fell for it.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby playastorm » Thu May 27, 2010 12:55 pm

I hope that we are all not so jaded as to not even allow for the possibility that this is a real offer. Anyone interested can get in contact with me directly through email and I can answer all questions and reassure you that this is in fact a true representation. Have some faith people and get in touch with me.

Bram
playastorm

Postby Isotopia » Thu May 27, 2010 1:24 pm

This sounds to good to be true but others mileage may vary.

Oh, and Fiji might be an island paradise but it currently remains an island nation under a coup initiated by military leader Commodore, Frank Bainimarama.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Isotopia

Postby playastorm » Thu May 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Its true there was a coup a few years ago in Fiji - but having spent time there myself - and speaking to many people - all will agree it is one of the safest places on the planet. Fijian soldiers are considered one of the most disciplined soldiers of any army and are used in peacekeeping missions all over the world. You won't see any soldiers or guns at any point in your Fiji trip and definitely not on the island. :)
playastorm

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu May 27, 2010 1:56 pm

playastorm wrote:I hope that we are all not so jaded as to not even allow for the possibility that this is a real offer.

"Jaded" isn't the proper term... "Intelligent" is closer to it. I'm sure it's quite real - just not sure it's a GOOD offer! I remember this exact offer on here a while back... what happened with that?

As I understand it, the resort has never been open and construction stopped 6 years ago, and that the island is owned by a guy who just wants to retire... it's listed at $25 million U.S. but less than half that would take it. The island has been for sale for several years... and no one seems to want to buy it.
Since the 2006 military takeover the tourism business there is DEAD.
There's a lot of hype on real estate sites about the island and it's resort but no substance.
Who are you and how do you fit into the scheme?
I get it that you want to realize a dream of building and operating a tropic resort, but there's really not much in it for the guys you want to convince to come do it for you for virtually nothing!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby 1durphul » Thu May 27, 2010 2:02 pm

playastorm wrote:Its true there was a coup a few years ago in Fiji - but having spent time there myself - and speaking to many people - all will agree it is one of the safest places on the planet. Fijian soldiers are considered one of the most disciplined soldiers of any army and are used in peacekeeping missions all over the world. You won't see any soldiers or guns at any point in your Fiji trip and definitely not on the island. :)

Disciplined with the exception of overthrowing their civilian government?
1durphul

Postby playastorm » Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Regarding the coup - my understanding is that there was beginning to be some resentment of the local Fijians to the Indian population there who were brought over by the British. The Indians own all the stores... and the Nationalist Fijian party in their parliament was trying to pass anti Indian laws which was causing unrest. The military took over to prevent this as they are pro unity and equality for all Fijians. Everyone I met there has a lot of respect for the military and it was a bloodless coup - but I am not here to defend the coup just to say it is a safe place and no one needs to worry about that. It should be considered internal Fijian politics and up to them to decide.

Regarding the offer and my involvement - as I said I am a director of the company that owns the island and the resort and I have been tasked with starting up construction again. As a burner I would prefer to do it with a group of burners who have a great work ethic and are a fun group to hang out with.

I think we offer a fair deal - a trip to Fiji and a chance to spend a month or so on a private island - all expenses paid - along with a stipend in exchange for working on a project for a month or so. Perhaps when done with the month of work people can take the stipend and travel the south pacific or the rest of Fiji.

The Lau Group - where this island is located is one of the most exclusive places anywhere. It costs $5,000 for a permit to sail in the Lau group - with an $800 per day docking fee. So it isn't an easy place to visit and that is the reason it is so unspoiled and the reason this is a good opportunity. The island is across from Mel Gibson's island and just south of the owners of Redbull's island.

We are exploring both options of selling the island or finishing the resort and operating it. Construction stopped 2 years ago as I said. We will start to finish the resort while we try to sell it. We listed the resort with Christies Great Estates by the way.

I have never posted here before so what you saw a few years ago was not from my group.

Can a fellow burner be given a little bit of faith?

Bram
playastorm

Postby Elorrum » Thu May 27, 2010 5:57 pm

playastorm wrote:Regarding the coup - my understanding is that there was beginning to be some resentment of the local Fijians to the Indian population there who were brought over by the British. The Indians own all the stores... and the Nationalist Fijian party in their parliament was trying to pass anti Indian laws which was causing unrest. The military took over to prevent this as they are pro unity and equality for all Fijians. Everyone I met there has a lot of respect for the military and it was a bloodless coup - but I am not here to defend the coup just to say it is a safe place and no one needs to worry about that. It should be considered internal Fijian politics and up to them to decide.

Regarding the offer and my involvement - as I said I am a director of the company that owns the island and the resort and I have been tasked with starting up construction again. As a burner I would prefer to do it with a group of burners who have a great work ethic and are a fun group to hang out with.

I think we offer a fair deal - a trip to Fiji and a chance to spend a month or so on a private island - all expenses paid - along with a stipend in exchange for working on a project for a month or so. Perhaps when done with the month of work people can take the stipend and travel the south pacific or the rest of Fiji.

The Lau Group - where this island is located is one of the most exclusive places anywhere. It costs $5,000 for a permit to sail in the Lau group - with an $800 per day docking fee. So it isn't an easy place to visit and that is the reason it is so unspoiled and the reason this is a good opportunity. The island is across from Mel Gibson's island and just south of the owners of Redbull's island.

We are exploring both options of selling the island or finishing the resort and operating it. Construction stopped 2 years ago as I said. We will start to finish the resort while we try to sell it. We listed the resort with Christies Great Estates by the way.

I have never posted here before so what you saw a few years ago was not from my group.

Can a fellow burner be given a little bit of faith?

Bram
Elorrum

Postby Box Burner » Thu May 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Smells of solication to me. I think this thread should be deleted. What you are offering is what you would have to offer a paid contractor to go there.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Elorrum » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 pm

geez, I quoted and wrote a lengthy response, and then computer locked... took too long to fix puter and restore issues to edit post. crap.

o.k. Lau group, very very pretty, very remote, I have cruised there. Provisioning issues are great, also water supply... catchment? and it's dry? Fiji air, or Sunflower flights, or chartered seaplane? very pricey for supply and transport either way. Is there a village on the island? they tend to get pissy if they aren't party to employment issues, and burning things is common as a way of expressing displeasure with ex pat owners. Lot's of sevu sevu, lots of keri keri bosso. Curious if this was a property or home village of a past high govt. official, airstrip and golf courses were some of the improvements the govt. seemed to require in their own neighborhoods. Freehold land in the Lau group is uncommon, I'm thinking there is a silent partner who is a citizen, local ratu? I know of projects that have been in "development" since the early 80's, and have basically supplied a livlihood for the developer and not much more. Fiji is a beautiful heartbreaker, a cruel and lovely tar baby that ensnares many. Fiji time... oh dear, Fiji time, no wonder you want ex pat or burner workers. Work is just a totally different thing there although Fijians can bust ass like nobody I've seen, it's on their terms and you'll never totally understand that. Twenty years of trying, and accepting, and finally my folks were too old to stay. Coups make property issues pan-generational. I have been trying to get subdivision and titles to property for the past five years, and we are always a few months away... survey, get town council approval, oops, survey lost, new survey, coup, repeat. The government at times makes most high school student councils look downright professional. Best of luck, best of luck to you.
Elorrum

Postby playastorm » Thu May 27, 2010 8:59 pm

Nice post - let me address some of the issues you raise:

1) Provisioning - we get our provisions from Suva (a barge's ride away) and Vanua Balavu (a boat's ride away).
2) Water Supply - we have a 1 million liter reservoir on the island - its full now. Plenty of water. Our plumbing and toilets are operational. We will also bring bottled water.
3) We fly into Vanua Balavu on Pacific Sun - and take the boat over. Our airstrip is already built - we just need to certify it. Once it certified - we fly directly to the island.
4) No villages on the island.
5) Property never belonged to a high official...
6) Our island is 100% freehold - yes very rare for the Lau Group. No silent partners.
7) All of our titles are already registered.
8) I have a good lawyer for you - who can help you get the title quicker - contact me off line.

Best of luck to you and your family as well.

Bram

o.k. Lau group, very very pretty, very remote, I have cruised there. Provisioning issues are great, also water supply... catchment? and it's dry? Fiji air, or Sunflower flights, or chartered seaplane? very pricey for supply and transport either way. Is there a village on the island? they tend to get pissy if they aren't party to employment issues, and burning things is common as a way of expressing displeasure with ex pat owners. Lot's of sevu sevu, lots of keri keri bosso. Curious if this was a property or home village of a past high govt. official, airstrip and golf courses were some of the improvements the govt. seemed to require in their own neighborhoods. Freehold land in the Lau group is uncommon, I'm thinking there is a silent partner who is a citizen, local ratu? I know of projects that have been in "development" since the early 80's, and have basically supplied a livlihood for the developer and not much more. Fiji is a beautiful heartbreaker, a cruel and lovely tar baby that ensnares many. Fiji time... oh dear, Fiji time, no wonder you want ex pat or burner workers. Work is just a totally different thing there although Fijians can bust ass like nobody I've seen, it's on their terms and you'll never totally understand that. Twenty years of trying, and accepting, and finally my folks were too old to stay. Coups make property issues pan-generational. I have been trying to get subdivision and titles to property for the past five years, and we are always a few months away... survey, get town council approval, oops, survey lost, new survey, coup, repeat. The government at times makes most high school student councils look downright professional. Best of luck, best of luck to you.
playastorm

Postby Isotopia » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Regarding the coup - my understanding is that there was beginning to be some resentment of the local Fijians...

Dude, D- for your report.

Your understanding? Your fucking understanding??

If you ain't ain't on top of the situation that you're actively soliciting for then - pardon me - you got no fucking business shilling for a business.

Seriously, time for you to take this to another board where people's sense of smell is less.... immune to bullshit.

Why? Cause honey, I'm calling you on it.

I smell a giant fucking turd in the swimming pool.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 28, 2010 10:59 am

Iso,
What I am about to say is so unworthy after your post.
Thank you for your dedication to truth and justice.

If this is legitimate, why here? It's not like there's a shortage of people in the construction trades right now. I don't know if Monster.com still exists, but someone does.

Just don't smell right.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby mdmf007 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 am

Legit? thats what I was thinking...

I left this thread as it is an offer of employment. I expect persons to do their own due diligence as to its veracity. On face value it seems great the island is indeed for sale still, or at least listed on a couple of sites.

There are rumors of this being a scam, but I have not seen any conclusive proof as of yet.

So - until shown otherwise I think ill leave it up here. If its legit someone can use the work.

MDMF
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Corwin » Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 am

I'm pretty good at building with legos, interested?
Corwin

Postby Elorrum » Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm

I think it is sincere, naive perhaps, but sincere. Visitor visas prohibit employment and so this would be an under the table situation. If there was a village on the island, the developers would be in trouble immediately. It offers a wonderful adventure and the end results of the property would not have to be a concern of the adventurer, but be wary as with all things. I visited Vanua Balavu in 1992 or 3, and it was so gorgeous. There was an enterprising couple working on a shoe-string development (paid with promises of part ownership) They had build a very neat little sawmill. The scheme folded. They parted ways with a fair ammount of rancor, but they had another great chapter to add to their South Pacific story.

The coups in Fiji have been the result of the fiction of it being a democratic nation. There is a thin veneer of parliamentary govt, laid over a well entrenched feudal system led by the great council of chiefs, constitutionally (my understanding) an advisory group. When the general elections have selected a non-indigenous majority party leader, the army has served as the arm of the chiefs, staged a coup, and then managed a lengthy interim govt while a new constituion has been drafted. This has maintained a nation basically run by its indigenous people. That it also shoots them in the foot developmentally and certainly with regards to it's major industry tourism has been a secondary concern. For those willing to stay the course as ex patriots, there is some comfort that it will never be overdeveloped. The "bloodless" coup in '96 (?) included the slaughter of officers sleeping in their barracks by hooded gunmen. Banaimarama is a better diplomat than Rabuka, but I think his allegience is the same.
Elorrum

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Sounds like I could find employment.

Nice barbarian chicks, too.

Ugly Dougly

Postby Thecatman » Fri May 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Isotopia wrote:This sounds to good to be true but others mileage may vary.

Then it probably is...
as the saying goes
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby C.f.M. » Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 pm

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Oh yeah.... ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elorrum » Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 pm

[quote="Ugly Dougly"
Image[/quote]
not Fijians... melanesians have wooly hair
Elorrum

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat May 29, 2010 9:46 am

Elorrum wrote:[quote="Ugly Dougly"

not Fijians... melanesians have wooly hair[/quote]

I'm sure you guys would like to know that there is no legal age limit so these 13 year old would be fair game for you pedos perverts!

I say we go down, kill playastorm and take over the island and turn it into Burning Man Island!

We can surround the island with giant Burning Man to scare away invading tribes!
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby cowboyangel » Mon May 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Wow. What a thread! Read all the way down. The promoter has a difficult task and doesn't seem to have any takers...no wonder....too many unknowns. A construction crew is at the mercy of many disparate forces there and the promoter has not done enough to ease fears.
I've been in that part of the world, ( well, nearly, Marshall Islands) It's hard to work in that heat. Very hard. Dear promoter, in order to gain credibility here, you have to run a difficult gauntlet, as you can see. If you posted a close up video of yourself and the owners making their case, that might help. Also posting comments, fair or foul, from past workers would be very helpful. See, we have a borderline financial depression going on here and the construction trades and builders have been hit very hard. We need the very real security of concrete, known projects before signing on to anything so remote and so unknown.

Good Luck.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby 1durphul » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 am

cowboyangel wrote:Wow. What a thread! Read all the way down. The promoter has a difficult task and doesn't seem to have any takers...no wonder....too many unknowns. A construction crew is at the mercy of many disparate forces there and the promoter has not done enough to ease fears.
I've been in that part of the world, ( well, nearly, Marshall Islands) It's hard to work in that heat. Very hard. Dear promoter, in order to gain credibility here, you have to run a difficult gauntlet, as you can see. If you posted a close up video of yourself and the owners making their case, that might help. Also posting comments, fair or foul, from past workers would be very helpful. See, we have a borderline financial depression going on here and the construction trades and builders have been hit very hard. We need the very real security of concrete, known projects before signing on to anything so remote and so unknown.

Good Luck.

What I see is even more cynical. The OP probably looked at DPW and said "Holy crap, people willing to work long and hard, for little pay, protection, or benefits. These are exactly the type of easily leads saps I want working on my project."
1durphul

Next

Return to Open Discussion