Towards a More Accessible Burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby bm_cricket » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It doesn't matter what the criteria are, there are deserving people who will end up on the wrong side, and other people who manage to take advantage when they don't really need it.

Thank you.

Now for my opinion, since I know everyone cares...

There aren't a whole lot of people going to burning man who are so disabled that they can't make some effort to contribute something. If someone can't move anything below their chin then I fully expect them to contribute some interesting conversation at very least. In 2008 I was camped right between a guy with parkinsons and a guy who survived flying off the cliff of highway 1 on a motorcycle! Needless to say neither of them were able to get out as easily as I could. They still contributed art, conversation, my personal experience that year, and I think a lot to the event as a whole. If they had each been able to bring golf carts with stupid frogs hot-glue-gunned to their bumpers I would have been perfectly happy to see them riding them all day long. If someone wants to contribute they will find a way no matter their limitations. If someone doesn't give a damn then... they really will take advantage of the situation and give nothing in return.

I'm glad BRC DMV makes people go through a few hoops. It keeps the lazy moochers from abusing something like this and hopefully allows most of the people with legitimate needs.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 24, 2010 3:05 pm

bm_cricket wrote: If someone can't move anything below their chin then I fully expect them to contribute some interesting conversation at very least.

That's more than I could expect from many walkies. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby bm_cricket » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
bm_cricket wrote: If someone can't move anything below their chin then I fully expect them to contribute some interesting conversation at very least.

That's more than I could expect from many walkies. ;)

I demand a lot. When someone comes up to my bar and simply demands a drink they get quite a talk'n to. If they don't figure out that the only payment my camp expects in return for the MANY thousands of dollars we put into producing their party is some conversation then they tend to leave disappointed and sober. I see nothing wrong with that. :twisted:
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Run Over For Parking With a Handicap Permit

Postby gyre » Wed May 26, 2010 8:17 pm

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12550109
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12549286
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-handicapp ... 5852.story

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Tommy Esposito started crying when he thought about his busted up arm, bruised, and lack of health insurance.

"Well, I can't pay this," said Esposito.

His nightmare began when he and a friend parked a pickup in a handicapped spot Tuesday outside the Kroger store on Highway 64 in Lakeland.

"Guy in a Cadillac pulled up and said why are you parking there?" said Esposito, "and I said, 'it's none of your business why I'm parking there.'"

Police said Devon Kiss, 24, of Arlington was the man behind the wheel.

"He pulled up a little bit and put it in reverse and floored it and swerved into me," said Esposito.

Esposito said he flew up, hit the trunk, then landed on the ground.

"He backed up again and my legs was up under the car," said Esposito. "All I could see was the wheels beside me and I guess with all the people hollering, he just left."

Kiss may have assumed Esposito was not disabled because the pickup truck was filled with paving equipment. The equipment belongs to his elderly uncle who owns a paving company.

A handicapped placard hangs from the rear view mirror and was clearly visible during the encounter.

Esposito has walked with a cane on and off since a car crash in the 1960's.
gyre

Playa Access

Postby Playable » Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 am

Hey,

Last year was my first experience at Burning Man. I use a wheelchair and brought a handcycle to access the playa. Overall, a good experience. Good not great. I stayed with the BRC Dept. of Mobility, and they were able to supply some motorized chairs on a limited basis. Mostly for the "walking wounded". Stub you toe and you've got a mobility solution. Which is great. But access for wheelchair users was somewhat lacking.

Bathrooms: It took us three days to locate the wheelchair accessible restrooms. And the info. came from the main info. desk in center camp, NOT BRC Dept. of Mobility. Once we found the toilets, it was great, but the toilets should be indicated on a map and/or right NEXT to the BRC Dept. of Mobility. The mobility camp used able-bodied restrooms which were impossible to access.

MV: I never saw one accessible MV, however we were given rides in golf carts courtesy of BRC Dept. of Mobility.

The Handcycle: Works well, but is exhausting after a full day/night of cycling. And there's no way to access Deep Playa.

The Playa: Overall, fairly easy to roll on. Some patches of soft sand were a bit tricky.

I saw two other wheelies, but that was about it.

I really think the accessible bathrooms need to be located closer to center camp. Specifically, close to the Dept. of Mobility. That just makes sense.

Anywho... can't wait for this year! Going to be staying with the Mobility camp again.
Stan
Playable

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Playable,

The map of BRC that you get at the greeters station should show the location of all the accessible toilets. I am consulting the 2009 map at this time and it shows the locations with one on every numbered street. I believe the combination for the lock is available at playa info.

I hope sooner than later better logistics happen and builders become motivated to make the playa more accessible.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Playable » Fri May 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the feedback. This year, I'm going to map everything out day one.
Stan
Playable

can't it be easier?

Postby mournlight » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Crypto and all:
There's a bucket truck on craiglook for $4300. What about a bucket-truck-turned-mutant-vehicle? The bucket itself would have to be worked into a size to accomodate a chair, but it would be a mobile, one-person-operated lift that could be moved from art piece to art piece and from one mv to another.

I like the idea of making golf carts and lawn tractors into accessible mv's. That could provide a lot of acceptable transportation.

Will bigger tires help powered chairs get around in the dust better?
mournlight

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:16 am

Which craigslist?

There're thousands now.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:22 am

I'm not interested in making an accessible vehicle. It's not my forte. If someone else is moved to, then they are welcome to it. I am simply trying to put some of the issues out there so people who are bringing mvs or anything else to the playa will consider what they can do to make things accessible.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mournlight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:39 pm

craigLOOK it allows multiple craiglist searches
mournlight

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:33 pm

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:18 pm

The MV-1

Is the name a coincidence?

http://www.vpgautos.com/

First Wheelchair Accessible Consumer Vehicle to Go on Sale

Believe it or not, anyone who currently wants a wheelchair-accessible vehicle has to have an existing vehicle retrofitted.

Now the Vehicle Production Group of Miami has taken its idea for a wheelchair-capable taxi and turned it into a van available for sale to consumers. The MV-1 has a manual access ramp that can accommodate heavy-power wheelchairs; an anti-slip floor and ramp surface; a wheelchair restraint system; and a spacious interior that allows a wheelchair or scooter to be positioned in the front, next to the driver.

Expected to sell for about $40,000 for the base vehicle, the Vehicle Production Group already has 4,000 orders with 40% of those for vans that run on compressed natural gas.

The MV-1 will head out on a 27-city tour that begins this week in Philadelphia and ends in San Diego in September. It will be showcased at rehabilitation centers, assisted living centers and hospitals.
gyre

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:26 pm

to bad the price can't be more accessible...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Just a note here to share what I told Crypto: If you can bang a stick or cane you can participate in the Ein Hammer art installation and make the fire go. Details: www.einhammer.org
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Hello, first year going to BRC

Postby dsrisdall » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am

I will be getting in early to help set up an art instillation then am planning on enjoying the event. I am very interested in the issue of accessibility- In the real world I provide guidance on complying with the ADA. I have limited knowledge of the theme camps but it seams that accessibility could be improved. Are there accessibility guidelines/ recommendations established? Is there some sort of building department?
dsrisdall

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Short answers:
1 no
2 not really.

Longer Answers
1 This thread is an attempt to get some sort of accessiblity guidelines and standards into the mix. What I am attempting to do here is to get people talking about it from both sides--how do we build and how do we experience the buildings as "accessible" or "inaccessible." I'd really love a short sheet, llc approved or not, on simple tricks that may not make your camp 100% accessible to absolutely everyone, but will make your camp up in the 90s for both.
So, you, sir are a natural and a treasure. Anything that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Although, we cannot expect that reasonable accommadations costing thousands of dollars will be added. But 50? Maybe.

2 There are some sort of engineering people who check on playa installations to make sure they aren't too flimsy or idiotic. Or at least I've been told that. What you are told and what is don't always coincide at the event.

If you want to stop by the Booby Bar on playa and talk, that's where I'll be. Unless I"m somewhere else, of course.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby dsrisdall » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 am

That would be pretty cool to put togather some form of guidesheet- seeing the pictures on the net and from friends - structures out there pose unique challanges. A discussion would be great.

Ive been wondering about structural integraty (dont really want to use the words oversight or regulated) to have some confidence that one doesnt end up with a pile of lumber on the brain. I would think Litigation is a real risk. Regardless- i am a huge fan of boobies- I look forward to chatting.

don
dsrisdall

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

bump
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Playable » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:04 pm

I agree with the idea of guidelines. Last year I noticed some ramps on the temple. Too steep to roll, but ramps nonetheless. My goal is to eventually work with Burning Man and burners to create an entity that provides appropriate information/access/incentives to camps who are accessible. It would be wonderful to have temples and structures that can be accessed by foot, crutch, walker and wheels.
Stan
Playable

Re: Playa Access

Postby POWERCHAIR » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby akj94403@yahoo.com » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi all!

I just thought I would put this out there for the Deaf Burners:

I'm an ESD Mental Health Branch volunteer. I'm HOH and I sign. I am working Monday 12pm- Tuesday 12pm, Wednesday 12pm- Thursday 12pm, and Friday 12pm- Saturday 12pm.

If you need emergency mental services in sign language I'm pretty sure it's possible to request me (if I am not out responding to another call). My name is Allen and my radio call sign while I am working will be CIT-72.

(Also, if you see a short guy with a pink and green mohawk wearing one of those yellow shirts, that's me... say hi!)
akj94403@yahoo.com

In Response to Power Chair

Postby Playable » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:19 pm

First, let me say how happy I am that the Black Rock City Department of Mobility exists. They provide a service that helps many Burners with disabilities gain a greater access to the Playa.

Second, I understand that "Powerchair" is unhappy with my decision to go elsewhere for this year's Burn, instead of participating with the Black Rock City Department of Mobility.

Finally, I feel that I must defend my position and reasoning for leaving the BRC Dept. of Mobility. I must defend as I believe that I have been unfairly attacked. But before I respond, please know that if anyone has any mobility issues I would urge you to visit the Dept. of Mobility's camp. They are working hard to provide a badly needed service.

1. Last year I was offered a power chair on our first day. After that I had a difficult time A) finding someone who would loan me a chair and B) finding a chair with an operative battery. Many of the chairs weren't working and or out of commission due to technical issues. That is why I chose instead to use my handcycle. I DID NOT opt to use the handcycle over the power chairs. It was the only option given the difficulties in finding someone to help and chairs that were operating.

2. The camp's priority is NOT the walking wounded. Yes, that is true. However, the camp was set up to cater to the walking wounded rather than those (like myself) with paralysis and need for accessible pathways and restrooms. Many times powerchairs and other items were left out, thus blocking the pathway to my tent. Furthermore, the pathway to the non-accessible restrooms was very difficult to navigate: very narrow and required zig-zagging through camps, RVs, etc. And the restrooms supplied for the camp were NON-WHEELCHAIR access restrooms. The camp suggested the use of a transfer board to access these inaccessible restrooms. A transfer board does not work for someone with total lower body paralysis. I therefore had to transfer to the ground and then crawl from the port-o-potty floor to the actual toilet bench.

3. We were told where the restrooms were on our first day, but had no idea how to get there. This was, after all, my first time at Burning Man. After much frustration, we ended up having someone from Center Camp info. take us to the accessible restrooms. Yes, the Dept. of Mobility did tell us to go to Center Camp for information. The Dept. of Mobility only took us to the non-accessible restrooms and not the disabled restrooms. I did not realize that the the accessible restrooms were on the map until four days into our Burn. This year, I will be more attentive.

4. I understand that showing up mid-week is frustrating for those who are in charge of camps. And that is one of the reasons we decided to forego the camp this year. Unlike some, I and the three individuals I'm traveling with, have full-time jobs. More specifically, I teach and cannot cancel class the first two weeks of the semester. One of my travel partners also teaches and cannot miss class for the Burn. Arriving mid-week and leaving with the Exodus was our only option. I apologize if this is an inconvenience to the camp.

5. As for the Saturday incident, I was told by all in the camp that everything would be taken care of and that I HAD TO SEE THE MAN BURN!!! Assessing that everything was alright, I left the camp. Unfortunately, the situation in question became more dire ONLY AFTER I left camp. However, when I returned, everyone (especially "Powerchair") addressing the situation and for that I am forever in "Powerchair's" and the Department of Mobility's debt. They did a wonderful thing, I'm sorry to discover that this was an issue after all.

6. Camp Fees: I was informed of camp fees a month and a half before the Burning Man event. The info. came after I had already agreed to join the camp and offer my services as a volunteer. $100 per person fee is a bit steep. After all, I and my companions have already spent a large sum of money on tickets. The mention of mandatory camp fees should have been mentioned several months ago, when I originally agreed to be a part of the mobility camp. More than four months had passed before I was informed that I and my fellow Burners each had to pay $100. I was willing to pay $220, in addition to film a segment about the camp (free-of-charge), and help out as needed. I also offered to fund the printing of tee shirts. Unfortunately, I was told by the camp that they would take care of the tee shirts. So, knowing that I and my companions could not afford the steep fees, we decided instead to go on our own.

7. As for wanting an accessible restroom and "prime" real estate, here are my thoughts: First, if the camp claims to provide mobility, access, etc., and only has NON-ACCESSIBLE restrooms... there's a problem. ADA Port-o-potties should be at the camp. It sounds like the camp WILL have ADA johns this year, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, this acquisition came only after our decision to leave the camp. Furthermore, I offered to help chat with the powers-that-be to get an accessible restroom. However, "Powerchair" told me that they would handle it.

Second, I don't ask for a "prime spot". I do ask for easy access for myself and my wheelchair. It's very difficult to navigate through cluttered camps and therefore requested a site that was out front and easy to get to and from. This is a mobility issue, one that the Camp should provide given their name and mission. I also felt a spot out front would make it much easier, given the fact that me and my team are arriving mid-week. It's clear that my request for a spot that is easily accessible is upsetting to the camp. This is another reason for my departure.

8. "Prat Boy". I'm sorry that you feel the need to start name calling. Never once have I said anything bad about you. In fact, I have posted several PR spots promoting the Dept. of Mobility and its resources on ePlaya. If my decision to leave is grounds for name calling, then so be it. But please, call me or email me. Don't resort to a public forum. It's inappropriate given how much I've wanted to help and participate as the ONLY paraplegic in your camp last year.

On a final note. Dear "Powerchair", I continually asked how I and my team could be of service, given our limited time on the Playa. The only suggestions you offered were: 1) Help watching the camp 2) Help with food 3) Give people rides in your golf cart (a golf cart that we purchased just in case camp powerchairs were once again unavailable) 4) Print tee-shirts (which you then told me would be handled by the camp). I was willing to help out with all of these things. Never once was camp set up or take down ever mentioned. I am also planning on doing some filming on the Playa. My goal this year was to create a small video on the Dept. of Mobility and it's services. This was to be my contribution and a hopeful publicity piece for the camp. A way to garner support (financial and otherwise) and to draw more folks with disabilities to the camp.

I, like you, believe in Playa access for anyone with a disability, physical or otherwise. I came to your camp last year and planned on returning this year despite several issues that I had experienced in 2009. I felt and feel that working together, we can create a wonderful experience for those with mobility issues. As someone with a spinal cord injury, I only want to help. But help as a volunteer, not a financier. I just don't have the finances to help fund your camp.

In closing, it saddens me that I have to defend myself and my reasons for going solo this year. But, given the fact that I have been attacked, I felt it necessary.

I'm sorry that you are upset with me, but please... call me to air your grievances. Please don't use a public forum. It's not in line with the spirit of Burning Man.

Much thanks and I hope that someday we can collaborate to make the most accessible Burn ever.

Playable
Playable

Postby POWERCHAIR » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby unjonharley » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:18 pm

There are disabled folks laughing there ass off at plays whining..
unjonharley

Postby POWERCHAIR » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby unjonharley » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

POWERCHAIR wrote:Hi unjonharley hows your leg doing this year?
And thanks for your sport of the camp. :D

I'm doing good this year.. Have a walker to pick moop.. A gas MV with a back seat.. Could stop by and give ride or two..
unjonharley

Postby POWERCHAIR » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:21 am

hey crypto and other chair peeps. we are having tuesday and thurs grilled cheese n funk incidents and we are totally chair friendly. no structures to deal with. dusk til? we are gonna be somewhere around 7-9 and f-h, won't know til saturday pre event night. you are all more then welcome. our camp is stag camp just get to the neighborhood and ask or listen to bmir for the announcement. would love for you to come out and get your boogie and cheese on!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Bump
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man