hair on the playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby phil » Thu May 27, 2010 1:31 pm

> I find that toe nail polish stays on, though, because I'm not (usually)
> pounding stakes with my feet.

Yeah, the polish stays on, but the toe nails don't.

[edit to fix typo]
phil

Postby teardropper » Thu May 27, 2010 1:43 pm

My partner is a professional who should be pretty presentable. And she doesn't spend a lot, when compared to some, but good products cost. It's fairly long and curly. Like I said she pulls it back and completely covers it. Almost all the time, but especially on the open playa on bikes, during the day. A good wash, condition and trim on return and it's as good as new. It's not rocket science.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Savannah wrote:
If she spends a lot on her nails too, warn her that they'll probably go straight to hell out there, including her cuticles...

Ouch, that reminds me, my fingernails got JACKED out there, and the playa dust BURNS. I ended up putting neosporin on them and wrapping them in duct tape for the week.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Titty_Von_HardOn » Thu May 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Beehive?
Titty_Von_HardOn

Postby pterribilini » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Ok, someone needs to be the voice of reason here.

First of all, stop being judgemental jerks! Burning Man is about participation and acceptance please try to remember this in your responses. Second, I am in the public eye for my job and coming back with thrashed hair makes the first week till I can get to a salon very difficult in the morning getting ready.

Here are a few suggestions: Braids will help a LOT. Get them professionally done pre-playa and make sure they put a ton of leave in conditioner and don't get them too tight. Fewer/larger braids do less damage than cornrows. Then be sure you do these things while you are out there: Put sunblock on any exposed scalp at least 4 times a day. This skin burns REALLY easily and is painful and will look like crazy dandruff when it's healing. Put sunscreen on the braids themselves too for the first few days till they get a good coating of playa on them to help protect the color from fading in weird ways. A hat will be your best friend. Get one a little bigger than fits without braids so you have room for them without pulling tight and causing more breakage. When you don't want to wear a hat, wear a scarf. This will also be a good dust barrier in a windstorm when wrapped around both hair and face.

Hope your friend finds this useful!
Hehehe....that dude just called me a LADY!
pterribilini

Postby AntiM » Thu May 27, 2010 2:34 pm

pterribilini wrote:Ok, someone needs to be the voice of reason here.

First of all, stop being judgemental jerks! Burning Man is about participation and acceptance please try to remember this in your responses. Second, I am in the public eye for my job and coming back with thrashed hair makes the first week till I can get to a salon very difficult in the morning getting ready.

Hmmm, judgmental, you say?

A few thoughts from Moderator M: I constantly nag and remind that snark should never be the first answer, and preferably not the second or even third in forums where help is being sought. HOWEVER, this IS an open and relatively uncensored forum. I don't expect a topic to stay on topic all the time. I also expect posters to be able to skim the snark if they don't find it amusing. Last, never confuse eplaya with the playa. The two are very different animals.

Thank you.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 28, 2010 10:08 am

phil wrote:Aphrodite forbid someone who has a JOB requiring great hands should come to the playa for a week. Or foot models. If that's your JOB, don't come.

I do have a way around that last.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sham » Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
phil wrote:Aphrodite forbid someone who has a JOB requiring great hands should come to the playa for a week. Or foot models. If that's your JOB, don't come.

I do have a way around that last.

Hey fishy, don't you think your way around that was just teencie weencie bit EXTREME? Really now!
Sham

Postby gyre » Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 am

I'm thinking her sense of humour was somehow involved.
gyre

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:12 am

send the woman with high-maintenance hair to Astral Headwash twice a day
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 am

gyre wrote:I'm thinking her sense of humour was somehow involved.

Ya think?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Janet Planet » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:35 am

[quote="teardropper"]My partner ties hers up and covers it with a tube cloth kind of thing that completely covers the hair. [/quote]

That would be a Buff. I can't imagine life without one.
http://www.planetbuff.com/?gclid=CKL5p5 ... iAodNCi8yA
Janet Planet

Camp Name: GranWitches

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Buffs are indeed cool, but TD may be talking about a braid tube, long and skinny, fits over a single braid only.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Wool Wraps

Postby LoveIsMyReligion » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:36 pm

I've seen tons of girls out there with the wool wraps and I heard they can help protect your hair quite a bit. I've got long hair and after the first day I had a girl that was nice enough to braid it all for me which helped a lot. I did have some breakage and my hair was all frizzy when I took them out, but it was out of site and out of mind on the playa.

I actually want to get my hair wool wrapped this year. Does any one know where I might be able to get this done in SF prior to the burn???

Please let me know (*( =
Evolution
LoveIsMyReligion

Re: hair on the playa

Postby ThERavinGPixiE » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 am

Dreadlocks.
ThERavinGPixiE

Burning Since: 2015

Postby pink » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 pm

I spend a bit on my hair. I can't imagine trying to comb out my hair on the playa, even when it's been short. I just let mine dread up and then use about half a bottle of conditioner once I get off playa. When I've tried to wash it on playa, it just ends up looking worse. I've been covering it with a bandana the last couple years since I've been growing it a bit (shoulder length now). Her best bet is to braid it, cover it, keep it covered, and then don't touch it all week

My after playa ritual is to get in the shower, put on a bunch of conditioner, rinse. Repeat until you can get your fingers through your hair. Then shampoo, condition some more, dry. It looks as though a lot of hair is coming off in the shower, but it's only the normal hair loss that isn't going anywhere until the dreads come out.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:59 am

I have waist-length fine hair and my default 'do is a 4-pin chignon, which works really well in BRC. 8)

I wear a hat whenever I leave my hut, I brush it out when I go to bed and before I pin it up again, and I wash it every two or three days while I am there. A good spray-on, leave-in conditioner between shampoos controls the static and repels dust. I find that products marketed for African-American-type hair are particularly helpful out there. In the words of Uncle Frank: Keep it greasy so it'll go down easy. :lol:

I use a garden sprayer filled with vinegar water as an all-purpose wash in BRC, and can shampoo & condition anybody's hair for about a quart of muddy grey water.

The problem you really want to avoid is collecting little rocks around your hairline, where sweat beads meet playa dust and coalesce around the hair shaft. Those rocks can tug on your roots until they drive you insane. Prevent with grease, remove with vinegar water and no you will not smell like a salad afterwards. :?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Smell like salad= attract vegans!!! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM