hair on the playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

hair on the playa

Postby Barry Bennett » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 pm

o.k. fellow burners, I have a good friend who has really high profile hair, she spends hundreds a month on it, blah, blah, blah! what are some good tips to keep it healthy threw the week???
Everyone wants a piece of heave but nobody wants to die.
Barry Bennett

Re: hair on the playa

Postby bm_cricket » Wed May 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Barry Bennett wrote:o.k. fellow burners, I have a good friend who has really high profile hair, she spends hundreds a month on it, blah, blah, blah! what are some good tips to keep it healthy threw the week???

Shave it. Tie it up. Or spend many hundreds of dollars building the necessary equipment to wash it properly.

I'm a guy but most of the women I know just tie it up and accept that it's some degree or another of "mess".

And "healthy hair" means something different to everyone. Jes and I both say our skin and hair feels better when we leave.. admittedly it's matted and gross but feels healthy!
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Jindy » Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 pm

She should wear a hat if her hair is dyed/bleached/whatevered. Then she should either forget about it (w/the exception of a mid-week plain water rinse) or plan on staying home. Playa is no place to care about hair. Oh, if her hair is long enough, braids.
Jindy

Postby teardropper » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm

My partner ties hers up and covers it with a tube cloth kind of thing that completely covers the hair. We wash our hair, I have long hair, too, 2 or 3 times that week with 2 1/2 gallon sun showers. You just have to accept that even if you wash it the dust gets right back in it. That's the way it is.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed May 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Braiding can cause breakage.. so maybe not the best option. Definitely cover it, and wash it, and then put on a leave-in conditioner to protect it from the dry air.
trystanthegypsy

Postby Playa Foot » Wed May 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Probably best to leave it at home.
Playa Foot

Postby gyre » Wed May 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Hair on the playa is always a problem.
It always ends up in your mouth.
Or the food.

What is high profile hair?
Famous?
Bad reputation?
Tall?

Weave or braid loosely.
Apply axle grease generously.
Wrap in a scarf.
Wash when you leave the playa.
gyre

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 27, 2010 6:07 am

She needs to shave her fucking head and stop throwing away money on something so useless and stupid.
C.f.M.

Postby teardropper » Thu May 27, 2010 6:13 am

C.f.M. wrote:She needs to shave her fucking head and stop throwing away money on something so useless and stupid.

Now, now, head shaving isn't the answer to all problems. Some, yeah, but not all.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby j_cavera » Thu May 27, 2010 8:13 am

Specify please: are we talking about on-the-head hair? (yeah, this is probably the only board where you can't immediately assume) If yes, then shave it. If no... well, probably shave it too.

- Jim
j_cavera

Postby Boijoy » Thu May 27, 2010 8:24 am

wtf is "high profile hair" ?????
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Boijoy » Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 am

oh oh this???

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 27, 2010 8:28 am

Boijoy wrote:wtf is "high profile hair" ?????

Hair that someone spends "hundreds" of dollars a month on. Styling, cutting, product, montly bill = $$$$$$$$

Like my "high profile" roof over my head. :roll:
C.f.M.

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 am

WTF is up with that guitar? lol.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Boijoy » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:WTF is up with that guitar? lol.

I think it spins also.

Yeah. I don't get "high profile hair". I'm pissed if I have to spend more than 15 bucks on a hair cut. but, whatever-me-never... I spend rediculous amounts of money on other stuff.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu May 27, 2010 9:09 am

I don't mean to sound critical, but some people just don't belong on the playa. If she is going to be that high maintenance or a sparkle pony, perhaps an alkali desert isn't for her. I do shave my head, which isn't much of a reach I know. If she's going to be miserable then so will you. I cannot see anything good coming from this.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Bob » Thu May 27, 2010 9:26 am

Two words: bear grease.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby pinemom » Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am

oh dear...I will keep my overly wordy day today to myself...oh hell no I wont this is easy.....
Either cut it short or leave her home!
She will do nothing but start bitching at 7am the first morning you wake playa side. ( and not stop for the next 8 days! Then everytime you argue for the rest of your life your going to get that thrown in your face!
If a girl is spending way over 1000.00 on her hair a yr...send her to the Peppermill to wait for you.
They have a spa now, she'll be well taken care of and wont harsh your burn! (so way worth the hotel costs, right everyone?)
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby phil » Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 am

I agree: shave her head or leave her home. We have all the drama queens we need on the playa, thankyouverymuch.
phil

Postby Bounce530 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:00 am

Shave it, shove it in a nylon and send it to the gulf coast.
http://www.matteroftrust.org/
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 am

Bounce530 wrote:Shave it, shove it in a nylon and send it to the gulf coast.
http://www.matteroftrust.org/

"Doomin Gloom likes this."

Also, it's "helpful."
C.f.M.

Postby bm_cricket » Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 am

Wow.. I knew we'd be disapproving of hair care but really guys?...

Okay, so, maybe you are on to something. If you think that this is someone who "wants" to have her hair looking pretty but is okay with it being a rats nest then maybe she can come.. If you think this is someone who "needs" to have it looking pretty then.. yeah.. leave her at home because your life will be hell.

Personally I try to keep my friends who spend money on shoes, hair dressers, or makeup down to the minimum... In 2008 I went with a girl who said that one of the things she liked the most about the the experience was realizing during strike/cleanup that she hadn't looked in a mirror once the whole week.

It's difficult to reproduce the experience of not washing for a week at Burning Man anywhere another alkali playa but if you want the experience of Burning Man as someone who uses a 1 gallon sun-shower every day then try this: Don't shower for a week and do lots of yard work. I recommend covering yourself in baking soda periodically from head to toe (especially your scalp, armpits, and private bits). Now, that's if you shower..

Do you still think she would enjoy it?
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby gyre » Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 am

I've seen girls spend hours on makeup every day out there.
Couldn't tell the difference.
gyre

Postby bm_cricket » Thu May 27, 2010 11:00 am

gyre wrote:I've seen girls spend hours on makeup every day out there.
Couldn't tell the difference.

I like the one I found. She's at least as sane as I am.. Probably more so!

:wink:
)'(
bm_cricket

Re: hair on the playa

Postby AntiM » Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 am

Barry Bennett wrote:o.k. fellow burners, I have a good friend who has really high profile hair, she spends hundreds a month on it, blah, blah, blah! what are some good tips to keep it healthy threw the week???

Even if you manage a marvelous hair washing system, it simply will not be the same after the playa. Using high end product won't help much. She'll have to accept that she may have damaged hair.

But here goes:

Keep it covered and bundled up. Even short hair can be sun damaged, wind damaged, and encrusted with playa dust. Do not expect to maintain a default world hair style.

Use a light leave in conditioner, but don't try any conditioning treatments on the playa as they'll get crusted up with dust and use far too much water while rinsing.

Do brush it daily, have a wide tooth comb for detangling.

No blow dryers on the playa, even in an RV. You're drying your hair out badly just being there, don't pile on the stress to your tresses.

Plan on a cut or trim after the event if you fear split ends. They'll happen.

Perhaps this will be liberating and she'll find other uses for her money. That happens too.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Thank you Anti-M for actually posting a nice reply!

And to the rest of you, I know this is super-snark land, but SOME people actually have to spend money on their hair for their JOB. Any kind of appearance-based job (acting, modelling, waitressing, sales, performance, lawyer, politician...) is greatly affected by the quality of your hair, especially as a female. It's the same as a high-power businessman (or woman) spending money on a good suit. Doesn't mean they don't want to get down and dirty for a week out of the year, and not have to cut all their hair off because it's gone all dry and crazy.
trystanthegypsy

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 27, 2010 12:54 pm

"Quality" hair doesn't require spending a lot of money - if any at all.
C.f.M.

Postby phil » Thu May 27, 2010 12:57 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:>SNIP<
but SOME people actually have to spend money on their hair for their JOB. Any kind of appearance-based job (acting, modelling, waitressing, sales, performance, lawyer, politician...) is greatly affected by the quality of your hair, especially as a female.
>SNIP<

Which doesn't affect my answer. It adds to the validity. If anyone, male, female, unwilling to identify as either, _anyone_ has a JOB where their hair is a factor in their JOB, the playa is not the place to bring it. If they're spending "hundreds a month on it," the playa is not the place to bring it.

I think that's good advice. Same goes for hand models. Aphrodite forbid someone who has a JOB requiring great hands should come to the playa for a week. Or foot models. If that's your JOB, don't come.
phil

Postby bm_cricket » Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 pm

phil wrote:
trystanthegypsy wrote:>SNIP<but>SNIP<

Which doesn't affect my answer. It adds to the validity. If anyone, male, female, unwilling to identify as either, _anyone_ has a JOB where their hair is a factor in their JOB, the playa is not the place to bring it. If they're spending "hundreds a month on it," the playa is not the place to bring it.

I think that's good advice. Same goes for hand models. Aphrodite forbid someone who has a JOB requiring great hands should come to the playa for a week. Or foot models. If that's your JOB, don't come.

...Mostly true...just remember that not everyone has control over their job. And as a guy I have little place in an argument about women standing up for themselves in the work place. Women earn less than men for equal work. And their salaries depend on their attractiveness, even in desk jobs!

But it's true that there is no way to prevent 'damage' to hair on the playa. Personally my love and I feel healthier after spending a week someplace like a playa. Sure, our hair is a little more frazzled but after that first wash back home it feels healthy. Maybe it doesn't look healthy but screw what they think
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby Savannah » Thu May 27, 2010 1:10 pm

AntiM is right, it's possible your friend will find it liberating not to care, for once. 40,000 people strangers wont have expectations on how groomed she normally is. She could also cover up w/ a pretty wrap & do a whole costume inspired by it, or enjoy wigs at times. (Nothing overly expensive or unwashable, mind you, as they will get dusty.) Earrings & other costume jewelry are also especially fun when one's hair is covered. It's entirely possible for someone who loves to femme-it-up to be happy out there; I am.

If she spends a lot on her nails too, warn her that they'll probably go straight to hell out there, including her cuticles, and aside from filing the snags, moisturizing, & maybe using a nail brush when she showers, the manicure is best scheduled for after the trip--though I've heard of people giving themselves pedicures beforehand, to remove heel cracks that might hold playa dust. (Maybe that works.)

I find that toe nail polish stays on, though, because I'm not (usually) pounding stakes with my feet.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear