Tec-no

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Tec-no

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:34 am

I sure smacked a hornets nest with this thread. My main complant is the never ending droon of three-four cords. Tech-camps have some idea that there noise is the only one. Runing that 24/7. What the did you come all the way out to the desert to listen to what you do at home. I know,,,It's to inflick it onto others. The only reason I can see why you listen to it is: you have less talent than the guy messing w/the soud machine that made the sound in the first place.

Some time I like myself{:-)
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:19 pm

So unjonharley,

Would you prefer the music you Listen to on the playa be the music you listen to at home? I know what it's like for me to want to bring my music everywhere. Sometimes I just want to share it with the world, weather I've written it or not.
Music is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. For the most part, the music that most burners bring to the playa actually takes quite a bit of work. (I know it's hard to believe.) as a musician myself, I can attest to this. I haven't been to the playa for awhile so I may be misunderstanding your disinclination, but from being around the burners I'm around and from my experience at the playa last, the trance, 4/4 8/8, semi mono polytones you hear on the playa could be a lot worse.
In fact, I've heard lots worse in the city. Makes me look forward to being around any burner and their music.

Hey, Krimson and Will Rogers listen to some cool stuff. do they bring their music up to the playa?
They should.
last I knew they would swing between killer drum type themes to King crimson. Maybe you should do a music variety theme camp . (for lack of better words.)

Just a suggestion.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:46 pm

The thing with thinking peopes music. If you don't like it you can take six paces and not hear it.
unjonharley

Postby Tancorix » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:53 pm

I happen to LOVE the dance music, and I hope that as long as BRC exists, the techno camps are allowed to exist. I would put them way out on the ends like most are now or maybe go back to locating them farther out like in the past.

But as much as I love my dance music, I would like to hear some different things. BM exposes me to many kinds of art that I might not ever see here in the Midwest. I wish my listening experience was exposed to the same level of diversity my visual experience is.

But BM without the deep boom, boom, boom of Techno just wouldn't seem like BM to me.
Tancorix

Postby Jordan 10-E » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:05 pm

The playa is a big place. This issue is pointless.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby III » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:19 pm

>>This issue is pointless

well, *that's* a not so subtle way of saying "i think your complaints are worthless and i don't really cre bout you."

(the playa is a big place. how bout we move all the rave camps 10 miles down the lakebed?)
III

Postby Jordan 10-E » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:50 pm

III wrote:>>This issue is pointless

well, *that's* a not so subtle way of saying "i think your complaints are worthless and i don't really cre bout you."

(the playa is a big place. how bout we move all the rave camps 10 miles down the lakebed?)

How about we move the few people that complain so much 10 miles down the playa where it is nice and quiet and then they will have all the quiet they want?

To be serious, I just don't understand why people have to make such an issue with this. By late in the night 80% of BRC is quiet. I mean REALLY quiet. If you don't like the bass, just camp further away from the ends of the city or the Esplanade. I don't understand why that is such hard concept for those that don't like techno music. I've ridden my bike out on some of the outer rings of the city during the loudest times at night and it is AMAZING how quiet it is out there. There are all kinds of loud things at Burning Man, not just a large soundsystems. Should we get rid of all loud things? If we do that might as well not even call it Burning Man anymore.

This topic gets rehashed over and over and usually it is the same people bringing it up. So it is not really that I don't care about a person or their opinion, I just think sometimes people don't care to look at the "solutions" that are already in place and totally sufficient to address the issue.

The only noise that needs to be "turned down" is this POINTLESS whining.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Postby Jordan 10-E » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:56 pm

Another thing... the idea that DJ's or those that produce electronic music "have no talent" or some related argument is not based on fact. I could provide countless reasons why this view is not accurate. It's just narrow-minded to me. Don't like the music... that's fine... but that doesn't make you an expert.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:00 pm

To me it is not a matter of whether or not the music is or is not good. Or how talented someone and their laptop is. (Echo and the Bunnymen?)

I like techno/trance/house/whatever. I also like rap, funk, rock, and just about everything else except polka. (Polka only works when drinking German beir.)

Now, that said. I don't want to have a pounding migraine after 10 minutes because someone seems to feel that bass = music. Nor do I want to have to move my camp because some asshat techno camp moved in next to me or a block away for all I care mid-week or whatever.

I'm all for freedom of expression, however your art is not necessarily my art and you should be cognizant of that. The fact that you tell me I have to move my camp site way the hell out to BFE shows simply that you're self-centered and care only about your wishes. Therefore by your rules I have a right to take a sledgehammer to your power source as that would be my form of expression as it relates to your form of expression.

Common courtesy on all parts is to be appreciated I would think.

And WTH is up w/ all these computer jockies thinking that clipping = better music anyway? Maybe someone should set up Camp 176db Mozart next to your techno camp. At least I'd be able to sleep until they started up with some Ride of the Valkyries. Then I'd likely go into 3rd grade dodgeball flashbacks and duck and cover.
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 pm

Maybe camp 180o...

Where a mobile stage would drive around with a sampling source and sound system that would play back that site's music only 180o out of phase.
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Badger » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:02 pm

the idea that DJ's or those that produce electronic music "have no talent" or some related argument is not based on fact. I could provide countless reasons why this view is not accurate. It's just narrow-minded to me. Don't like the music... that's fine... but that doesn't make you an expert.

Hmmm.... Let me get back with you on that.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Jordan 10-E » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:10 pm

DangerMouse wrote:To me it is not a matter of whether or not the music is or is not good. Or how talented someone and their laptop is. (Echo and the Bunnymen?)

I like techno/trance/house/whatever. I also like rap, funk, rock, and just about everything else except polka. (Polka only works when drinking German beir.)

Now, that said. I don't want to have a pounding migraine after 10 minutes because someone seems to feel that bass = music. Nor do I want to have to move my camp because some asshat techno camp moved in next to me or a block away for all I care mid-week or whatever.

I'm all for freedom of expression, however your art is not necessarily my art and you should be cognizant of that. The fact that you tell me I have to move my camp site way the hell out to BFE shows simply that you're self-centered and care only about your wishes. Therefore by your rules I have a right to take a sledgehammer to your power source as that would be my form of expression as it relates to your form of expression.

Common courtesy on all parts is to be appreciated I would think.

And WTH is up w/ all these computer jockies thinking that clipping = better music anyway? Maybe someone should set up Camp 176db Mozart next to your techno camp. At least I'd be able to sleep until they started up with some Ride of the Valkyries. Then I'd likely go into 3rd grade dodgeball flashbacks and duck and cover.

Self-centered? I really don;t think i am being self centered at all. I actually believe I am very considerate of other people's opinions.

I am not asking you to camp out in BFE (If anyone has been asked to move it was the rave camps themselves, historically). You have just as much right to camp any place you want as anyone else, however... if your number one priority is to have quiet then don't camp up at the end where the large sound camps are. No one is taking your right to choose away here. Seems pretty straighforward to me! I have no problem with placing loud sound in a certain area, but that doesn't seem to be enough for you, which I don't understand because that leaves you the majority of BRC to find a nice quiet place to settle down. Instead it seems you would choose to camp in an area that is prone to being loud and then threaten to smash people's equipment when it's too much for you. There is really no one to blame here but yourself in that case. The solution to your annoyance is there, it's just a matter of CHOOSING to not put yourself in an area with loud music.

Finally, it's Burning Man!!! If it is such a difficult place for you to be because of the noise maybe you consider staying home where you can have complete control over your own environment, and listen to whatever you want, at whatever volume you want.

So please don't call me self centered. I am not interested in bringing down anyone's good time. In fact that is why I perceive the narrow mindedness of those that threaten pulling plugs, smashing equipment, or whatever else to be the one's with the self-centered intolerant viewpoint.

Again, most of BRC is really a quiet place. It's not difficult at all to find a spot that you can get some sleep (and that doesn't mean you need to sleep out near the trash fence).

With all that said, granted there will be those that set up and play loud in "inappropriate" areas and poor times, but you don't to be playing music to be loud and disturb the neighbors.

Maybe I should come smash your computer because you are using it to "be loud" and disturb my eplaya experience.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Postby III » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:14 pm

huh.

well, i guess i'll just say you can be glad that you won't have to put up with the likes of me this year...
III

Postby KellY » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:48 pm

DangerMouse wrote:I like techno/trance/house/whatever. I also like rap, funk, rock, and just about everything else except polka. (Polka only works when drinking German beir.)

Polka rules, dude. And it's good with all kinds of beir.

Ah, for Ye Goode Ole Dayef, when Polkacide played the Burn and the techno camps were all outside city limits...

Or so I've heard.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

techno 24/7

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:08 pm

I like to think I'm open to all sorts of music, but I made the mistake last year of camping on the last street in the techno district. One brave, obviously hearing-impaired soul had his collection going literally 24/7.
Now any objective person can understand that even professional music can get old really fast when it's playing constantly. So it's easy to imagine how a reasonable person might consider suicide after 96 straight hours of Johnny Def's Hooked On Techno.

Not a problem. I'll just be camping more towards the center this year and bringing better ear plugs.
Nate

Postby typewriter » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:43 pm

SOLUTION : MANDATORY JIMMY BUFFET!!!

But honestly, after a few days on the playa it can be nice to have a loud soundsystem to drown out the pseudointellectual jargon spewers.

For some, their ego death comes in role-playing Rasputin by the fireside, for others, swimmming (drowning) in immense vibrations of air.
:wink:

The playa's big enough for both.

Hooray! Problem solved.

Hand jobs all around.
I pledge allegiance to the flame
Of the united camps of BlackRock
And to the autonomy for which it stands
One nation, under the influence
With liberty and dust storms for all
typewriter

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:43 pm

DangerMouse wrote: (Polka only works when drinking German beir.)
Try Brave Combo. And prepare to amp it up big time when they do the ChaCha version of Satisfaction. (They make me proud to be a Texan AND a Polack!)
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

The Heartbeat of the City

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:55 pm

I choose to live out on the last street of the City because I'm a night sleeper. And I don't sleep well with earplugs.
Even then, as the week progresses, the din of the City does manage to reach me, even with earplugs. But I do get SOME sleep.

This is not to say I'm opposed to the music. It's art. What I object to is the 12am outer ring rolling party/wiseacres that like to EXPLODE their various music noisemakers, because they're drunk, they just got off shift, or the old standby excuse: "nobody should sleep! This is BURNINGMAN!"

I'd just like to clarify this little point about music vs distance from Center Camp. Sound does travel. It dissipates, but it does travel.

I personally don't understand ear-bleedingly loud music, but then I guess "if it's too loud, you're too old". Once inside the City at nite, when I'm not actually working, I can enjoy the din. Hell, the very AIR is pulsing with a gazillion techno/rave camps (all claiming uniqueness). So I appreciate it for the "vibration experience" or sensory overwhelm that this provides.

During the day I get to enjoy a delightful cross section of excellent music during my travels, played at reasonable levels.

I guess it's a Nite Thang.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Re: Tec-no

Postby pokiedot » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:41 pm

unjonharley wrote:I sure smacked a hornets nest with this thread.

don't worry. it's been smacked before, we're used to it.

My main complant is the never ending droon of three-four cords.

isn't most techno 4/4?

Tech-camps have some idea that there noise is the only one. Runing that 24/7. What the did you come all the way out to the desert to listen to what you do at home.

i don't necessarily think that everyone who likes techno in the desert listens to it at home. i don't really see the arguement there... er.. sorry.

I know,,,It's to inflick it onto others. The only reason I can see why you listen to it is: you have less talent than the guy messing w/the soud machine that made the sound in the first place.

hm. can you look at it as maybe just a different kind of talent, one that you don't relate too? there's lots of talent in the world that i recognize, but don't appreciate.

i'd also like to venture to say that one of the reasons there are so many techno camps is that ravers are damn good organizers. ravers throw parties because event production is part of their culture. i've seen small bands of techno-lovin kids get together and create a massive productions out of nothing... and that is a talent! creating an expressive event through community involvement is what they are all about, and they've gotten very good at doing this.

burning man has room for all kinds of music. and, as with most problems people have with the event, i suggest that you colloaborate with others who feel the same way and create more venues on the playa for different kinds of music. i'm sure it would be appreciated by others who feel like you.

nothin that hasn't been said before, or more eloquently.
pokiedot

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:35 pm

Quote:

isn't most techno 4/4?

one of you is referring to the time signature and one to the chord progression I think. In the end this argument usually boils down to it's ugly roots in personal taste.

an anecdote to illuminate
was at a friends house a few weeks ago and surrounded by U2 fans (don't get me wrong, with the help of mr. eno they have cranked out some lovely songs). A dance remix of elevation came on the stereo. Two of the U2 fans began to complain about how pointless it was. Their chief complaint was that the song itself was relatively intact and that the remixers had simply rebuilt the percussion track to revolve around the familiar oontz oontz oontz and how boring it was. I replied that larry mullen has never written nor played an interesting rhythm track in his lifetime. What was more intersting about boom chack boom chack than oontz oontz oontz oontz? Nothing. They are both pretty vanilla and predictable and only serve to keep time. They add nothing unique to the music. It's simply that some folks prefer one to the other. For me it's a matter of context and don't even try telling me that one is better than the other. Don't make me go there. Don't make me bust out my Bmus on your ass.
stuart

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:36 pm

Quote:

isn't most techno 4/4?

one of you is referring to the time signature and one to the chord progression I think. In the end this argument usually boils down to it's ugly roots in personal taste.

an anecdote to illuminate
was at a friends house a few weeks ago and surrounded by U2 fans (don't get me wrong, with the help of mr. eno they have cranked out some lovely songs). A dance remix of elevation came on the stereo. Two of the U2 fans began to complain about how pointless it was. Their chief complaint was that the song itself was relatively intact and that the remixers had simply rebuilt the percussion track to revolve around the familiar oontz oontz oontz and how boring it was. I replied that larry mullen has never written nor played an interesting rhythm track in his lifetime. What was more intersting about boom chack boom chack than oontz oontz oontz oontz? Nothing. They are both pretty vanilla and predictable and only serve to keep time. They add nothing unique to the music. It's simply that some folks prefer one to the other. For me it's a matter of context and don't even try telling me that one is better than the other. Don't make me go there. Don't make me bust out my Bmus on your ass.[/url]
stuart

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:39 pm

shit, eplaya timeout leads to more incidiary unedited post, then, gasp, dbl post.

sorry
stuart

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:39 pm

then bad spelling!

FUCK!
stuart

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:41 pm

Late in the night last year I heard a bunch of drummers. I was in bed so did'nt know where there camp was. I felt the talent they had to offer. Most of the tec stuff was "no talent" As in, How many time can some one scream "yellow submarine" before you start looking for your gun. Most of the stuff the king did was junk. Or the boss. What he had two maybe three good one. It just ocurred to me: It's the filler that drives me nuts. That is all that no talent trance-tec-no is.
unjonharley

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:44 pm

How many time can some one scream "yellow submarine"

I am sure you and John Cage have very different answers.
stuart

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:15 pm

The U.S.Army uses that crap to drive people out of strongholds. It a Bush approved method of torture.

----------
Damn I enjoy stering shit.
unjonharley

Postby pokiedot » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:13 pm

stuart wrote:
Quote:

isn't most techno 4/4?

ah. thanks for clearing that up! i were confuzzled.
pokiedot

Postby zzberlin » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:32 pm

Dear Pokie-Dot

Are you from the future?

conspiratorially,
zen berlin
zzberlin

Postby pokiedot » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:23 am

zzberlin wrote:Dear Pokie-Dot

Are you from the future?

the government prohibits me from revealing that information.
pokiedot

music

Postby sparkletarte » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:02 pm

Tec-yes! Tec-yes!

Seriously, saying you don't like 'techno' whatever the hell that is, is like saying you don't like music with guitars in it, or with a singer, or ... There's so many kinds of 'techno' that if you think you don't like it, you just haven't heard the kind you like yet.

Now if you were saying 'happy hardcore-no', that, I could agree with you.
sparkletarte

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy