Black Rock Scouts... because kids are burners too

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby gyre » Wed May 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I haven't heard about the bike camps yet, but I would check with the ones from last year and see if they're coming back.

They would probably enjoy seeing the kinetic bike groups too.
Just seeing the kinetic stuff is an education.
They might be able to arrange more.

You might want to try to take them to see the Contraption at some point.
LeChat hates to talk about his creations, but it's worth a try.

There may be projects still under construction that would have some educational value, or even work that needs some basic assistance.

One asset that kids may have, is endurance.
Maybe there are places where this is a big advantage for them?

Even though what we were doing wasn't very physical, the girl I was working with was running rings around me doing all the carrying, while I did the more technical parts.
The only way her age showed at all was trying to pronounce some burnerish made-up words, difficult enough for adults in some cases.
She was as easy to work with as anyone.
gyre

Postby bm_cricket » Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Time for some word association!
Opinions are like assholes
as
ePlaya posts are like... Oooh, Oooh, Goatse? Right?

I love games. Do what you want but don't bring anyone to the event who can't take care of themselves unless you plan to spend every second of the day with them. I apply the same rule to full grown adults who can't take care of themselves.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby freddyandeddy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm pretty much with Sondra on this, but would only add a little twist that we probably WON'T be participating in the Scouts' activities, instead allowing our 11 year old son (and his two friends who'll be tagging along) more freedom to choose their own paths across the playa. This will be our son's 7th burn, so it's time for him to direct his own adventure, so to speak, and when we asked him about the Scouts thing, he kind of shrugged and asked if it was something he HAD to do or was it optional. He's just finishing up Cub Scouts and isn't going into Boy Scouts, incidentally.

As for haters, they come in all kinds of flavors. Some hate kids being on the playa, some pine for the days when Burning Man was more "pure," whatever that means to them personally (I remember blowing up lots of shit 20 years ago and taking more drugs), there are those who hate guys hanging their dicks out, fir wearing hippies, art car snobs, whatever. That's the beauty of Burning Man, though; we can grouse and bitch and complain, but once on the playa it all seems to work out for the best and most of us come away profoundly affected. Those who aren't don't return and spend the few hundred bucks doing something else. As it should be.
freddyandeddy

Postby goathead » Fri May 28, 2010 2:26 am

Judi
Sailman, Das Bus, Gordy know me where to find me. Have them bring you on by if you like. Let me know and I will make it a point to bring out exra welding goggles for them.

making stones from dust.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby goathead » Fri May 28, 2010 2:32 am

bm_cricket wrote:Time for some word association!
Opinions are like assholes
as
ePlaya posts are like... Oooh, Oooh, Goatse? Right?

I love games. Do what you want but don't bring anyone to the event who can't take care of themselves unless you plan to spend every second of the day with them. I apply the same rule to full grown adults who can't take care of themselves.

Goatse?
that is just so wrong.....
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Re: Black Rock Scouts... because kids are burners too

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello Judi,

I'm with the Black Rock Beacon, Black Rock City's alternative to alternative newspapers. We might be able to host a field trip, though I think the most interesting time to come would be when we print the newspaper, which is at night, usually between midnight and dawn. Dunno if that works or if parents try to keep their kids on a daytime/nighttime schedule.

We're there during the day as well, but there wouldn't be that much for them to do, other than see adults consume massive amounts of bacon for no other reason than we can. We have reporters going out and researching stuff, but most of the time they couldn't have kids along, and there'd be nothing participatory that they could do. We do editing and production work sporadically during the day, but there isn't really anything to see -- except for the bacon consumption thing.

If you want to give us a try, PM me and we'll see what we can come up with.
Mitch

Event Update, Yahoo Group & Facebook

Postby jmoralesgibson » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:26 am

Update:
We've got 15 Black Rock Scout events planned and more in the works. Check out the Events Schedule Database and take Event Polls in the Yahoo Group... also find updates on Facebook. Thank you Black Rock Rangers and BRC for getting this program off the ground!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackrockscouts/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 280&v=wall
jmoralesgibson

Previous

Return to Get Involved!